more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

George Best at Fulham

Started by Stefano Okaka Chuka, December 04, 2017, 06:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Dr Know on December 05, 2017, 09:48:47 AM
I remember best scoring a cracker away at peterborough in the league cup , september 1976 !

I remember that game well for the fantastic away support. His goal was at the other end, but didn't he flick it up and volley it in from the edge of the box?

Burt

Quote from: RaySmith on December 04, 2017, 07:40:51 PM
In an away game at Palace he broke  Palace captain Ian Evans's leg in a tackle, which led to some animosity from Palace fans for a bit afterwards.

I remember that... You could clearly hear the snap of the bone. Nasty injury.

filham

I had a couple of French children , about 13 and 14 year olds staying with me at the time of M&B  and I took them to see Chelsea v Liverpool at the Bridge one week and then to the 2nd division game at the  Cottage the next.

They went home to tell their friends in Paris that they had seen the great Liverpool team but that the best footballers and entertainers were to be seen at the Cottage. They had just never seen anything like M&B.

filham

Of course those of us lucky enough to have seen M&B play for Fulham will be counting ourselves lucky that it all happened before Stats Boy was even a twinkle in his mother's eye. There was no such control on a manager in those days, particularly on the great Alec Stock.

SP

Quote from: Burt on December 05, 2017, 01:34:08 PM
In an away game at Palace he broke  Palace captain Ian Evans's leg in a tackle, which led to some animosity from Palace fans for a bit afterwards.

Remember that game so clearly.  Living in the Palace catchment area I had to throw a sickie from school on the following Monday as I was informed a warm reception awaited me.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Burt on December 05, 2017, 01:34:08 PM

Similar to the Paul Went/Martyn Busby challenge. That was the first time that I had seen a broken leg actually out of shape.

Plodder

Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on December 04, 2017, 09:10:27 PM

Think his debut goal was very early maybe a minute in curler top corner...

Afraid not - the story has grown in the telling! I was in my usual spot at the Hammersmith End, despite the unusually large 21,000 crowd.  We got a free kick in the first minute slightly to the right of the goal just outside the penalty area, and nobody was going to deny George the opportunity. It was a mediocre free kick, almost a grasscutter which the keeper fumbled over the line.  Timed at 71 seconds.  It should have been a straightforward save.  By normal standards, it was a poor quality goal, but of course memorable because of the occasion and everyone went bananas. I remember looking at the teamsheet on the back of the matchday programme before the game, and still not being able to adjust to seeing the names of Bobby Moore, George Best and (albeit to a lesser extent) Rodney Marsh in the same Fulham team.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on December 05, 2017, 01:27:41 PM
I remember best scoring a cracker away at peterborough in the league cup , september 1976 !

I remember that game well for the fantastic away support. His goal was at the other end, but didn't he flick it up and volley it in from the edge of the box?

Yes he did exactly as you described, I was there also and it was a League Cup Replay. I believe the result was 2 0.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Neil D

It had completely escaped my memory that Marinello ever played for us. 

Dr Know

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 09, 2017, 01:48:54 AM
Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on December 05, 2017, 01:27:41 PM

Yes he did exactly as you described, I was there also and it was a League Cup Replay. I believe the result was 2 0.
Ended up 2-1 to fulham , Alan Slough scored the other goal .  Another George Best story was when we played away at Redhill fc in , i think , in sept / oct 1976 , after the game all the players went to the opening of a nightclub called busbys . I tried many times to get in but i wasn't allowed . Before i knew it I'd realised the last train back to London had departed so i waited until the players came out of the club and managed to get a lift on the team coach sitting next to , part of the way , Bestie , also on the coach was , why i never found out was Cilla Black and Jimmy Tarbuck , happy days ,