Author Topic: Is Khan planning long term theory.  (Read 827 times)

Offline FulhamStu

• Graham Leggat
Is Khan planning long term theory.
« on: December 07, 2017, 06:18:14 AM »
So, if we believe what we hear, and I know many don’t.  The new Riverside stand is due to be available around the 2021/22 season.  That’s 4 years away.   From the recent excellent Cottage talk show with Tom G, and Chris, we learned that this new design is far more ambitious and a much more complicated build and will require the Riverside to be closed down for some period rather than the stand being built around it.  This will reduce our capacity to around 18,000.

Now, I don’t doubt that if we are given Premiership football at any point in the next few years, Khan will be a happy man and gratefully receive it, however could it be that in the meantime he is not going to bust a gut, or the bank until closer to the day we have the ground ready ?

I have not seen any estimated costs to the new Riverside but it has to be very big bucks, anyone care to guess, let me start by saying it could cost between £50 and £100 Million.
Having spent that sort of dosh, do you think Khan will not push big time for the promised land ?

For me, and I have always said this, the new stand is a massive milestone in Fulham’s future, promotions and relegations come and go but a development of this scale is a once in a lifetime, and our equivalent of what Spurs are doing at WHL.

Of course it’s got to happen and like many I will believe it when I see it, having said that I have always thought it would happen and have personally taken stick, esp on TIFF for saying so, especially after I met Khan at the Bolton game the season before last where I was promised an iconic new stand was going to happen.

If we look at what he has done at the Jags, it was ground first, team second. Is that what he is going to repeat at Fulham ?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:22:14 AM by FulhamStu »

Offline ..FOF..

• Graham Leggat
Re: Is Khan planning long term theory.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:25:52 AM »
Most likely yes, in an earlier interview he said he is going for self-sustaining and not splurging.

Offline RaySmith

• cebu
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 06:50:40 AM »
I think many older fans, like me,  would far rather see immediate money spent on the team and  challenging for promotion, and then think about the ground.

I think if you spend enough on the team and manager you can almost guarantee promotion.

Fulham only got into the Prem before because of MAF's money, but  this doesn't seem to be Khan's policy, which is, I suppose more sensible, but when was  supporting a team about being sensible!

Offline FulhamStu

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 08:04:26 AM »
I think many older fans, like me,  would far rather see immediate money spent on the team and  challenging for promotion, and then think about the ground.

I think if you spend enough on the team and manager you can almost guarantee promotion.

Fulham only got into the Prem before because of MAF's money, but  this doesn't seem to be Khan's policy, which is, I suppose more sensible, but when was  supporting a team about being sensible!

I am sure we would all like him to spend money on the team.  My question is, does Khan consider that getting the infrastructure right first is the correct way round ?   Getting this stand built has so far taken 2 more year, then another nearly 4 years from now.   Spending money on new players and going up is a potentially much quicker cycle.  For example, we could get promoted and then relegated before the stand is half built.   I agree however, would love Khan to do both, but maybe that’s not how he sees it ?

Offline RaySmith

• cebu
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 08:26:02 AM »
Could be Stu.

But in football, on the pitch success is everthing. We could, as you say, go up and come down again before the new stand is built, or even, in the worst case scenario, just go down! Then what use is a new stand if it's half empty?

Likely he does want both promotion and the new stand, and I doubt if you'd find many fans who didn't want both, or who wouldn't put on the pitch success first if they were forced to make a choice.
If you go up, then revenue and crowds will greatly improve anyway.

But I suppose there is also FFP to contend with re spending on the team, and Khan would probably point to all the money he has spent. But as fans, we know that  spending really big gets results, and we will always be disappointed in bargain buy foreign imports with no track record in British football, who can prove a big success, but can also disappoint.

Offline Statto

• cebu
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 08:50:25 AM »
I don't really understand the OP. If he was already truly committed to the redevelopment, the cost of that would surely already have been set aside, effectively "spent", so he's no reason to delay pushing for promotion.

Looking at the numbers, the most he can put into the club for transfers/wages whilst we're in this league is effectively £13m per year, and the lost gate receipts from having the Riverside closed if we get promoted before it's complete would be about £3m per year. These are relatively small amounts in the context of the £100m you mention for the stadium and the £100m+ per year extra revenue we'd get in the PL.

Plus every year we stay in this division, we still lose money in any case, our attractiveness to players and sponsors diminishes, and we fall further behind those clubs on the overlap of the PL and Championship. So it becomes harder and more expensive for Khan to get us promoted with each year that passes.

I think it far more likely that he wants to ensure we're promoted before he actually commits to redeveloping the stand and you won't see a spade in the ground until then. I'm quite sure that if we're not promoted next year, the club will conveniently find out the stadium has to be redesigned again for some reason and the whole thing will be pushed back again.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:54:33 AM by Statto »

Offline toshes mate

• Jimmy Hill
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 09:11:21 AM »
Far be it for me to doubt the Khans having a strategy or plan but I am sorry to say it continues to be my position.  The flaw in arguing that Khan always has the idea 'to build the infrastructure then the team' is that when Khan arrived he had PL football in a stadium that wasn't at all bad as stadia go.  And so I just say the idea that Khan ever had a worthy plan or strategy is nuts.  I'd also argue that Khan has been overtly influenced by the NFL dream to import American football to the UK during his tenure and much of his thinking about owning Fulham and what it means has been muddled by that and issues concerning his son and his business.  But perhaps I sell the multi-billionaire short.

I am not in awe of the 'new' Riverside development as compared to the original or the Heatherwick ideas which appeared to offer much of the same opportunity to increase out of football time revenue with a little imagination, innovation and a lot of flair.   However, as with MAF, Khan needs to endear himself with the right people in order to increase his influence for other challenging ideas which are yet to come and yet to witness.  Khan has a lot of valuable land at Motspur Park and planning options and opportunities, like all things, change with the times.

I don't see the RIverside development as a holy grail but more a case of trying to join up some dots that have nothing to do with how a football team does on a pitch.   Lots of teams have wonderful stadia that are almost always empty

Offline Holders

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »
The existing Riverside cost £300,000 - and if the new one comes to pass it'll be twice in a lifetime.

When that was built the argument was to build it before prices became outrageous but many were critical that the money should have been spent on the team - as Portsmouth were doing at the time. For quite a while we went one way while they went on to greater things. It depends what point in time you choose to say who was right.

The new stand, however, does have more earning potential than the existing.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:46:55 AM by Holders »
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Offline Lighthouse

• Moritz Volz
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 09:41:21 AM »
Many of us will remain a little wary of plans and the owners attitude to The Riverside merely because The Riverside has a history of being controversial. To build the infrastructure first is never a good idea until we have a team capable of staying in the Prem. If we can do both then fine. But it shouldn't be an either or. However our owner and his advisers have made some very odd decisions since he has been here so I have no real idea what his overall strategy is. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Offline mrmicawbers

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 10:29:24 AM »

The Chairman can spend whatever he wants on the groundnut is limited by FFP on the team.By spending on the New stand and the Academy it's possible to bring money into the club and not effect FFP.

Offline FulhamStu

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 10:34:38 AM »
Statto, my point re the OP, was to set out a theory for discussion, that Khan sees the clubs infrastructure as a fundamental base to building up the club to a Premier Club status and that he sees this as a priority to spending big on the team.  He has changed the original plans to one that will after its built, bring in more revenue at a significant extra cost.  If he was not committed in this direction why change the design to increase significantly the cost ?   Why continue to spend big money on Motspur Park as well as the Riverside, improvements to the Cottage and the Johnny Haynes ?

Getting promotion to the premier league does bring in a massive increase in tv revenue, but this is pretty much wiped out in one go by Premier players wages and other costs.

All I am saying is that MAYBE Khans does have a strategy, one that requires a lot of patience and I am saying that Building up the infrastructure is long term, buying a football team is very short term.

Putting money aside for the new stand etc or splashing on new players is still spending money, one gives you something that is certain, the other is rolling the dice, yes often it pays off but certainly not always i.e. QPR, Portsmouth, Leeds and many others.

To another post, yes the old Riverside was built in the 70,s.  This new stand will be built 50 years later so I think it’s reasonable to call that once in a generation, unless you really do want to split hairs.  I have plenty of family that will have only seen one or the other !

I am not trying to big up Khan, I am just putting forward a thought that he may not be the villain he is normally made out to be.

Offline Robbie

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 11:42:41 AM »
MK Dons have a lovely stadium with lots of shops and restaurants close by. Obviously the football is rubbish!

My reading of the Riverside plans is that it is about maximizing ancillary revenues, not about investing in the squad.

Offline Kent Cassandra

• Graham Leggat
  • My daughter on Cup Final Day
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 12:02:52 PM »
As a wise old 81 year old I have a different view. firstly I can't afford to think long term and secondly if we play football like the second half of last season I'm happy.
Thirdly whatever happened to the W formation?
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

Offline Woolly Mammoth

• Moritz Volz
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 01:03:36 PM »
As a wise old 81 year old I have a different view. firstly I can't afford to think long term and secondly if we play football like the second half of last season I'm happy.
Thirdly whatever happened to the W formation?

The W formation seemed to dissapear round about the time £ S D. That’s Pounds Shillings & Pence was changed to the dreaded Decimalisation, and this country has been a lot poorer since, by losing both.
Who is to blame for all this.
As for The Chairman and his reasons for buying the BBC land across the road, it’s an investment that will increase in value, like improvement to Motspur Park, it increases in value.
If the Riverside is ever developed then that is an investment that will uncrease in value.
When it comes to the football team and what happens on the pitch, then it’s a different ball game.
 The football to him is not a priority, as much as his spokesmen spin the fairy tales, his interest is that nfl.
Of course I want to see the Riverside redeveloped asap, although I am not that much struck on the design. But I shall believe when I see it. The prawn sandwich brigade can have what they want, but where were they in the hard times, and where will they be if the hard times return.
More importantly where will Khan the invisible man be, he can sell his assets like the bbc, Motspur Park, Riverside etc, whereas players, their values can decrease, land and bricks and mortar will increase over any period of time.
I still maintain his hidden agenda when he first arrived was to establish his Jaguars in England, and Craven Cottage was a foothold for his hidden agenda, that has not quite gone to plan, and he is probably wishing he had bought Tottenham Hotspur instead. Because he is not exactly a football nut is he.
But for me, unlike Khan, it’s what happens on the field that counts, promotion is everything, it will guarantee more or less full Gates, the clubs image in football will multiply 100 fold, including sponsorship and the Millions of English Pounds that come with it. So it pays for itself, and think of the players, who would they rather play in, Championship or Premier.
So we may have to get used to free transfers, loaners and deadwood from overseas.
What I would like to see are our Academy home grown players like Matt Oriley, Edun, De la Torre, Matties Kait, Humphries and Steve Sessegnon to name but a few to join his brother Ryan in the first team, they are far better prospect than some of the current squad. Because they will put in an honest shift.
But to bring that altogether Khan has to flash the cash on a Goalkeeper, a Centre Back and a Striker, and that’s just for starters, otherwise we will be having the same debate next season and the one after.
Yes I would love to see the Ground developed, that has to be inevitable, but I would rather stand on an open terrace in the pouring rain and high winds like we all use to, and watch a successful team on the pitch, and that is something the khans and their enterage have never understood and never will, because it’s not in their DNA.
What is in their minds more than anything than our football, is to make sure they are secure in their investment in CC, MP and BBC, more than our football, which is all very well, but it has to run in conjunction with the football on the pitch, but definitely not at the expense of the football. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:11:32 PM by Woolly Mammoth »
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Offline toshes mate

• Jimmy Hill
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 01:08:23 PM »
I am just putting forward a thought that he may not be the villain he is normally made out to be.

I don't see Khan as either villain or victim but simply someone who has a lot of money but lives in the USA and doesn't know a lot about English football. I'd like to see him outside a ground talking to 'ordinary' supporters in the manner of the after match Brentford video.  Perhaps then he'd be a bit more, and better, 'advised' about what to do next.  When Khan visited CC and after the game 'Fred' asked him if he was off to watch his team play at Wembley his answer suggested to me that Fulham is just another item in his shopping bag.  I remain unconvinced he has any deep interest in Fulham at all.