Author Topic: Danny Murphy... the man’s not wrong  (Read 1580 times)

FFC1987

Re: Danny Murphy... the man’s not wrong
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 02:16:16 PM »
We had a choice. Pay out higher contracts to the likes of Malone/Aluko and recruit fewer/be able to spend less, or sell for decent prices (Aluko was decent fee) and reinvest in more for Slav.

I think Murphy right in saying we sold/released good players and didn't invest/recruit adequately, hence why we're 15th in the league. Without injuries, I'm in no doubt we'd be slightly higher but our best 11/15 man start/match day squad, isn't strong enough for top 6.

Poor investment, poor recruiting and a damaging structure in the timing of recruits, is impacting us year on year. We've again on a downward spiral from last season and our prospects are dwindling. We'll lose key assets in the youth and end up having to sell the likes of Sess and Cairney. This isn't doom and gloom, this is likely to happen as players who are EPL quality, don't hang around on club loyalty alone.

Offline Baszab

• Legend
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 02:53:46 PM »
Danny Murphy is 100% correct
And also Aluko not doing well as when at FFC because our system of play suited him much better than Reading

Offline hovewhite

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »
Danny Murphy is 100% correct
And also Aluko not doing well as when at FFC because our system of play suited him much better than Reading
Think aluko because we couldnt or wouldnt offer him an extended deal has cost us big time in results .
I know the club saw a big return money wise,ability wise is a different thing and what price it must be far more worth to the team.

Offline EJL

• The Bard/Corked Hat
    • Last Minute Goal - Football Blog
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 04:29:05 PM »
Narrator: Danny Murphy was wrong

Online MJG

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 05:32:42 PM »
I rarely bother with transfer fees and spending but since you mention us and Wolves I looked at Transfermarkt and they say that wolves net spend this season is £17m and ours is £0.5m. Am I missing something?
look at where the top five who have a net spend are.... Apart from wolves mainly struggling
Just the views of a long term fan

FFC1987

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 05:36:38 PM »
I rarely bother with transfer fees and spending but since you mention us and Wolves I looked at Transfermarkt and they say that wolves net spend this season is £17m and ours is £0.5m. Am I missing something?
look at where the top five who have a net spend are.... Apart from wolves mainly struggling

Don't get me wrong, spending big isn't always the way to go, look at Boro for instance, that's not to say our lack of spending hasn't hampered our chances. Arguably poor spending has been the bigger culprit to lack of spending. However we look at it, transfers and squad maintenance has been woeful.

Offline Statto

• cebu
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 05:48:22 PM »
We were going down regardless of who the owner was.

Saw this comment on another thread yesterday. baseless conjecture. offensive, frankly
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:12:43 PM by Statto »

Offline cottage expat

• tjl
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 06:59:28 PM »
Sorry but (unusually for Murphy) he’s bang right on every single point there IMO.

Bang right about Khan buying a good club.

Bang right about our net spend being relatively very low.

Bang right about parachute payments (and our general prospects) diminishing each year.

Bang right that we should have won the play-offs v Reading.

And Yes injuries are a factor he doesn’t mention but he’s still right about player sales also being a factor.

+1.

Offline Arthur

• Legend
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 07:22:50 PM »

Saw this comment on another thread yesterday. baseless conjecture. offensive, frankly

What is indisputably more plausible is that there was a strong likelihood we would have gone down the following season even had MAF remained our Chairman.

This most certainly isn't baseless: Khan continued where MAF left off and under-invested in the summer of 2013 in the same way that Al Fayed had been doing for a couple of years previously.

People take offence to different things, of course. While recognising how much good Al Fayed did for the Club for 13 years, I am nevertheless far more offended that he chose to sell the Club to someone who knew next to nothing about football and less still about FFC than I am the suggestion that MAF left us on the brink a nosedive.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:34:49 PM by Arthur »

Offline YankeeJim

• cebu
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 07:35:37 PM »

Well then, offer some rebuttal. Your opinion isn't any better than anyone else and all you did on that other thread was offer opposite opinions. That certainly is your right but the fact is that a series of managers (all football men by the way) didn't improvement the teams performances. We had a naive owner, crap managers and aged and substandard players. We were in trouble. If by the grace of God we did survive, what would have happened the next season since we still had the aforementioned  negatives?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Offline Jims Dentist

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 07:51:44 PM »
I have my own opinion,but who do we think are those quoted as thinking they walked on water??

Offline Statto

• cebu
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 08:57:50 PM »

Well then, offer some rebuttal. Your opinion isn't any better than anyone else and all you did on that other thread was offer opposite opinions. That certainly is your right but the fact is that a series of managers (all football men by the way) didn't improvement the teams performances. We had a naive owner, crap managers and aged and substandard players. We were in trouble. If by the grace of God we did survive, what would have happened the next season since we still had the aforementioned  negatives?

Well what we have here is speculation as to what MAF's actions would have been in a hypothetical scenario, and as to the consequences of those actions over the subsequent year.

Just to recap, it took not only (i) a further year without investment, but also (ii) 2 mid-season managerial sackings, (iii) the appointment of 2 managers with no experience in English football management and (iv) a wasted January transfer window (Mitroglou!), among bad luck and probably a few other things, to send us down.

So are we really claiming to know MAF would have taken the same actions, or equivalent actions with the same outcome? Sorry but that sort of speculation falls quite squarely within the meaning of the terms "baseless" and "conjecture". That really isn't a matter of opinion, unless we're suggesting the definition of plain English is a matter of opinion.

If you really want to discuss what *might* have happened (which is arguably pointless, because the nature of conjecture is that neither of us can have much confidence in what we're saying) my opening "rebuttal" would be that MAF had a 12-year track record of doing just enough each year to avoid relegation (albeit, I'll admit, probably more motivated by the desire to protect the value of his investment than some altruistic love for the club). 

In the season preceding Khan's takeover, we finished 12th. So there were 12 times MAF had been in Khan's position at the start of a new season, and 6 of those times we'd finished lower the preceding year and therefore were (on paper) more likely to go down, but MAF never let it happen.

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. So I might actually say watching MAF keep us from getting relegated 12 years in a row and expecting a different result in year 13, is not only baseless conjecture, but also quite insane.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:43:22 AM by Statto »

Offline bobbo

• Legend
  • bobbo
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 09:27:46 AM »
Danny Murphy is spot on, whilst neither aluko or Malone are superstars they fitted our network.
It's as plain as a nose on yer face.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Online MJG

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 09:35:18 AM »
I'd be interested to know how many times Murphy has actually seen us play this season. Also its as plain as day it still rankles him we didn't give him a two year contract even though Blackburn terminated his after one year.
Just the views of a long term fan

Offline Chutney

• Legend
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 09:44:12 AM »
I have my own opinion,but who do we think are those quoted as thinking they walked on water??

Ali Mac for sure, since his arrival we've consistently gone backwards and yet he seems untouchable.
C O Y W