more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Danny Murphy... the man’s not wrong

Started by JoelH5, December 07, 2017, 09:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cottage expat

Quote from: Statto on December 07, 2017, 02:01:29 PM
Sorry but (unusually for Murphy) he's bang right on every single point there IMO.

Bang right about Khan buying a good club.

Bang right about our net spend being relatively very low.

Bang right about parachute payments (and our general prospects) diminishing each year.

Bang right that we should have won the play-offs v Reading.

And Yes injuries are a factor he doesn't mention but he's still right about player sales also being a factor.

+1.

Arthur

Quote from: Statto on December 07, 2017, 05:48:22 PM
Quote from: Horsfield_No9 on December 07, 2017, 10:33:22 AM
We were going down regardless of who the owner was.

Saw this comment on another thread yesterday. baseless conjecture. offensive, frankly

What is indisputably more plausible is that there was a strong likelihood we would have gone down the following season even had MAF remained our Chairman.

This most certainly isn't baseless: Khan continued where MAF left off and under-invested in the summer of 2013 in the same way that Al Fayed had been doing for a couple of years previously.

People take offence to different things, of course. While recognising how much good Al Fayed did for the Club for 13 years, I am nevertheless far more offended that he chose to sell the Club to someone who knew next to nothing about football and less still about FFC than I am the suggestion that MAF left us on the brink a nosedive.

YankeeJim

Saw this comment on another thread yesterday. baseless conjecture. offensive, frankly

Well then, offer some rebuttal. Your opinion isn't any better than anyone else and all you did on that other thread was offer opposite opinions. That certainly is your right but the fact is that a series of managers (all football men by the way) didn't improvement the teams performances. We had a naive owner, crap managers and aged and substandard players. We were in trouble. If by the grace of God we did survive, what would have happened the next season since we still had the aforementioned  negatives?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Jims Dentist

I have my own opinion,but who do we think are those quoted as thinking they walked on water??

bobbo

Danny Murphy is spot on, whilst neither aluko or Malone are superstars they fitted our network.
It's as plain as a nose on yer face.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

MJG

I'd be interested to know how many times Murphy has actually seen us play this season. Also its as plain as day it still rankles him we didn't give him a two year contract even though Blackburn terminated his after one year.
Just the views of a long term fan

Chutney

Quote from: Jims Dentist on December 07, 2017, 07:51:44 PM
I have my own opinion,but who do we think are those quoted as thinking they walked on water??

Ali Mac for sure, since his arrival we've consistently gone backwards and yet he seems untouchable.
C O Y W

Roberty

Statto - it was blindingly obvious

MAF had been preparing our club for sale for some time and our ageing, over paid squad was the result - after "lack of ambition" Hughes left we were on a downward spiral

Sadly Khan seems to have believed the MAF hype and did not realise we were heading south until it was too late

I know that you hold MAF in high esteem and so do I - for what he did to resurrect our club and make us great again - but when he started to liquidate his assets our fate was sealed - there was little investment in the team and the focus was on his exit plan.

For me it was a sad ending for an otherwise legendary owner
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

FulhamStu

Quote from: Roberty on December 08, 2017, 10:31:24 AM

Statto - it was blindingly obvious

MAF had been preparing our club for sale for some time and our ageing, over paid squad was the result - after "lack of ambition" Hughes left we were on a downward spiral

Sadly Khan seems to have believed the MAF hype and did not realise we were heading south until it was too late

I know that you hold MAF in high esteem and so do I - for what he did to resurrect our club and make us great again - but when he started to liquidate his assets our fate was sealed - there was little investment in the team and the focus was on his exit plan.

For me it was a sad ending for an otherwise legendary owner

Perfectly put Roberty.  What has always amazed me is how Mackintosh escaped the wrath of Khan as he was a common denominator and could have told Khan the truth that we were an ageing, past it team that had no future and needed a massive overhaul.  Maybe he did tell Khan who ignored him, again I guess we will never know.   Just as an aside, Jol was only every a decent manager when he had Chris Houghton as his number 2.  Houghton has gone on to prove what a good manager/coach he is whereas Jol has sunk without trace.

Riversider

The Mans not wrong ? Oh really, well he certainly was when he took the money of Khan with four others to choose our next manager !
Five or six weeks later he helped come up with the name of "Kit Symons" , lost all respect for everybody involved after that .

FFC1987

Quote from: Riversider on December 08, 2017, 02:46:33 PM
The Mans not wrong ? Oh really, well he certainly was when he took the money of Khan with four others to choose our next manager !
Five or six weeks later he helped come up with the name of "Kit Symons" , lost all respect for everybody involved after that .

Unless I'm mis-remembering, wasn't his preferred choice Neil Lennon? 

Baszab

Riversider - what actually happened was that after we had 1 point from 9 games (I think?) and the club and players were in considerable turmoil, Khan gave KS - who was already at the club and had managed a very successful U21 team and personally developed  many juniors including Dembele and Roberts (who later earned the club serious sale process which the owner has in effect trousered as the net spending is still zero) - anyway, KS was given a poisoned chalice in trying to stop us sliding down to the 3rd division - which he did successfully at the time

JoelH5

Quote from: Riversider on December 08, 2017, 02:46:33 PM

Sorry mate I think you're confused. We're talking about the article he is quoted in from this week. Not what he did 3 years ago
I was there, standing in the Putney end

The Old Count

Quote from: Baszab on December 08, 2017, 07:22:26 PM
Riversider - what actually happened was that after we had 1 point from 9 games (I think?) and the club and players were in considerable turmoil, Khan gave KS - who was already at the club and had managed a very successful U21 team and personally developed  many juniors including Dembele and Roberts (who later earned the club serious sale process which the owner has in effect trousered as the net spending is still zero) - anyway, KS was given a poisoned chalice in trying to stop us sliding down to the 3rd division - which he did successfully at the time

In hindsight, given the restrictions KS endured (probably greater than those that Slav has had) he did a very good job.

filham

No doubt that Aluko and Malone both had very a good seasons for us , also true that we got good money for them in the summer but that was to be expected because of the good season they had.

Now , the crunch, how was the money obtained used to replace Malone and Aluko.

EJL

We don't know if Malone and Aluko were adequately replaced seeing as the manager refuses to include most of the people who could do that.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on December 08, 2017, 09:59:37 PM
No doubt that Aluko and Malone both had very a good seasons for us , also true that we got good money for them in the summer but that was to be expected because of the good season they had.

Now , the crunch, how was the money obtained used to replace Malone and Aluko.

Khan trousered the change after wasting the rest of the money on Fonte.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.