watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Danny Murphy... the man’s not wrong

Started by JoelH5, December 07, 2017, 09:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoelH5

Former Fulham captain Danny Murphy believes the club are struggling to make an impact in the Championship this season as a result of selling some of their better players in the summer.

Scott Malone and Sone Aluko both left Craven Cottage for Huddersfield and Reading respectively in the transfer window and Slavisa Jokanovic's side have failed to reach the heights they did last season, sitting in 15th place with 26 points so far.

Although eleven replacements came into the side, only Oliver Norwood has cemented himself as a first team regular with a number of others struggling, while assistant director of Football Operations Craig Kline has since left the club.

And Murphy thinks Fulham have got themselves into a "real pickle" as a result of losing those important players during the summer.

In a sit-down www.AskFans.co.uk , he said: "They are struggling because they sell a lot of their best players. They then have to keep trying to fill the gaps.

"Their budget isn't anywhere near as big as the other Championship teams. In actual fact, last year - they punched above their weight in that respect.

"They should have won the play-off semi-finals. They dominated the games and were unlucky.

"They have now got themselves in a real pickle because parachute payments are dwindling, they are struggling to make an impact because a couple of their best players have gone."

Murphy also believes the Craven Cottage outfit has gone from being in a healthy place to finding itself in difficult circumstances, something he believes is a shame as Fulham was a "fantastic club to be around."

"The club has gone from being a really healthy place to a really difficult place. I feel for the owners as they brought the club in good faith as a Premier League club. It was in good condition.

"A couple of the people at the club at the time decided they walked on water, went against all the advice they were getting and messed it up.

"It was a shame because it was a fantastic club to be around."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-fulham-captain-danny-murphy-14004980
I was there, standing in the Putney end

toshes mate

At least retirement from playing the game hasn't effected his football brain. Good precis of what has gone wrong - and why.

Horsfield_No9

Sort of annoys me every time Murphy comments on Fulham as he clearly doesn't follow what's going on. Were the club really in a "healthy place" when Khan took over? Ageing squad struggling in the Prem with no decent investment for some time. We were going down regardless of who the owner was. He also says we've lost our best players, no mention of keeping our diamonds on long deals (Cairney & Sess) He doesn't really know what he's talking about. He also says we don't invest, weren't we the third biggest spenders this season in the league? Wolves have spent less so his point that we aren't keeping up with the big spenders of the league doesn't make sense. He doesn't know the Championship at all.
Does anyone believe he actually watches any Fulham games?

Kind of hate when these Prem pundits talk about the Championship as they don't have any authority on it, just arm chair views from glancing at the league table now and again. Leave it to the Leeroy Roseniors of this world I say or podcasts like Fulhamish who actually take an active interest in other clubs players, tactics, business etc.

Anyone else think he also comes off as slightly bitter that he maybe wasn't considered for the job when Kit got it? He seems to love talking about how our clubs a mess always with the closing caveat that "it's a fantastic club"
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

Southcoastffc

I rarely bother with transfer fees and spending but since you mention us and Wolves I looked at Transfermarkt and they say that wolves net spend this season is £17m and ours is £0.5m. Am I missing something?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

FulhamStu

I love Danny Murphy but he is talking mostly rubbish in this piece.  Ojo is a first pick as well as Norwood.  Aluko is doing nothing at Reading, I do think we miss Malone both wanted to leave and or demanded too much. I bet our wage bill is as big as most in the Championship and we do compete with most in the transfer market.  He fails to mention injuries this to last season and totally ignored the signing of Sess and Cairney new contract, both our most valuable players.
The behind the scenes going on are reason to be critical for sure but frankly everyone is guessing on what really went on.

Even Man U, Spurs and Arsenal are forced to lose their best players sometime, it's what happens.   90% of these quotes are frankly nonsense.

RaySmith

Yes, we've only sold Aluko and Malone, who both wanted to  take up other offers, since last season, but we have had  significant injuries, though, and brought in new, needed strikers who haven't worked out so far.

We did at least  re-sign  Cairney and Sess, who both could well have left.

The reasons for our poor showing so far this season, after last, are  discussed at length  by fans, but the reasons aren't that clear, apart from Cairney being injured, I suppose.

aaronmcguigan

What is this guy on? I know he's done more than most for this club but does it give him a right to continually talk the club down?
I don't see how it's a difficult place in a league where anyone beats anyone, and form/ team spirit / confidence can get you a long way . Bit of investment and give the players a kick up the rear and we are fine.

He's alluded to some bad eggs at the club and feeling sorry for the owners, for some people walking on water and bringing us down.  If there's any remote truth in this, surely it's partly the fault of the owners for not acting sooner, ie giving too much time to Jol, Felix and Kit, (giving time to a manager is good but in each occasion it looked and played out like blind faith)

If he had any heart for the club he would be advising the club or at the very least, keeping bad headlines for the club out of the news instead of sensationalising his opinions for a bit of attention

Lighthouse

Danny Murphy is a Fulham hero. But he is obviously concentrates on the Prem as that is his job as a pundit. His knowledge of Fulham is simplistic. However we all agree that some basic, awful mistakes were made at the time of the change of ownership. Some awful advice was given. But the club were already on the way down when the owner took over and sadly his decisions has just hastened the fall.

Each season we hope the advice he receives is improved.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

EJL

Quote from: Southcoastffc on December 07, 2017, 10:44:04 AM
I rarely bother with transfer fees and spending but since you mention us and Wolves I looked at Transfermarkt and they say that wolves net spend this season is £17m and ours is £0.5m. Am I missing something?
Wolves are going for broke and we're not.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: EJL on December 07, 2017, 12:13:51 PM
My post was in relation to the OP who seems to say that we have spent MORE than Wolves, and indeed more than most championship clubs. 
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

FulhamStu

The thrust of his comments were about selling Aluko and Malone, who yes we miss.  But this is not the biggest issue which has been injuries and most importantly not brining in the right players like an effective striker centre back and replacing Malone whilst signing loads of wingers !   Murphys lash out is not helpful, not current and not correct.

grandad

Quote from: FulhamStu on December 07, 2017, 10:45:08 AM
I love Danny Murphy but he is talking mostly rubbish in this piece.  Ojo is a first pick as well as Norwood.  Aluko is doing nothing at Reading, I do think we miss Malone both wanted to leave and or demanded too much. I bet our wage bill is as big as most in the Championship and we do compete with most in the transfer market.  He fails to mention injuries this to last season and totally ignored the signing of Sess and Cairney new contract, both our most valuable players.
The behind the scenes going on are reason to be critical for sure but frankly everyone is guessing on what really went on.

Even Man U, Spurs and Arsenal are forced to lose their best players sometime, it's what happens.   90% of these quotes are frankly nonsense.
:plus one:
We got to the Prem without FFP but getting back is so much more difficult with the restrictions.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Facts Not Fiction

"We dominated the games". If he's talking about the playoffs, this is not true. We were incredibly under par during them.

JoelH5

Quote from: Southcoastffc on December 07, 2017, 12:39:48 PM
Quote from: EJL on December 07, 2017, 12:13:51 PM
My post was in relation to the OP who seems to say that we have spent MORE than Wolves, and indeed more than most championship clubs. 

You're correct mate. The stats you quote take into account the fees received from sales too so Wolves net budget is at a much larger deficit to ours
I was there, standing in the Putney end

FFC1987

We had a choice. Pay out higher contracts to the likes of Malone/Aluko and recruit fewer/be able to spend less, or sell for decent prices (Aluko was decent fee) and reinvest in more for Slav.

I think Murphy right in saying we sold/released good players and didn't invest/recruit adequately, hence why we're 15th in the league. Without injuries, I'm in no doubt we'd be slightly higher but our best 11/15 man start/match day squad, isn't strong enough for top 6.

Poor investment, poor recruiting and a damaging structure in the timing of recruits, is impacting us year on year. We've again on a downward spiral from last season and our prospects are dwindling. We'll lose key assets in the youth and end up having to sell the likes of Sess and Cairney. This isn't doom and gloom, this is likely to happen as players who are EPL quality, don't hang around on club loyalty alone.

Baszab

Danny Murphy is 100% correct
And also Aluko not doing well as when at FFC because our system of play suited him much better than Reading

hovewhite

Quote from: Baszab on December 07, 2017, 02:53:46 PM
Danny Murphy is 100% correct
And also Aluko not doing well as when at FFC because our system of play suited him much better than Reading
Think aluko because we couldnt or wouldnt offer him an extended deal has cost us big time in results .
I know the club saw a big return money wise,ability wise is a different thing and what price it must be far more worth to the team.

EJL

MJG

look at where the top five who have a net spend are.... Apart from wolves mainly struggling
Just the views of a long term fan

FFC1987

Quote from: MJG on December 07, 2017, 05:32:42 PM
look at where the top five who have a net spend are.... Apart from wolves mainly struggling

Don't get me wrong, spending big isn't always the way to go, look at Boro for instance, that's not to say our lack of spending hasn't hampered our chances. Arguably poor spending has been the bigger culprit to lack of spending. However we look at it, transfers and squad maintenance has been woeful.