watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How a Stupid is Superstition?

Started by Peabody, December 09, 2017, 07:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

There you are, it's 's Matchday, so you put on your lucky black pants, plus your Matchday grey shirt, put :bump: your Fulham badge key ring in your pocket, make sure you have some marmite sandwiches. Go to the station and make sure you get into the correct carriage and sit in the lucky seat, same with the tube. Get of the train and make sure you walk along the Moat Path in the park, just make sure you look through the bushes and see the 500 year old oak tree and at the ground, you must enter by turnstile 44.

Then you suddenly realise,both at all the work that takes place on the training ground, doesn' t know about these rituals and you feel such a fool. Aren't superstitions stupid?

Fernhurst

Where exactly is the 500 year old oak tree Mr P ??
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Peabody

In Fulham Palace, you can't miss it, it's roped off and has notices proclaiming it as a Holmes Oak.

Fernhurst

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Baston White

We all like to think we are doing our bit come match day by keeping to our superstitions. Mine starts by driving the lucky and slightly out of the way route to pick up my grandson. Then pick up mate and start 100 mile journey to the Cottage. En route we have to go via KFC on North End Road. We always enter via gate 46 and wifey makes sure we have the same sweets each week to eat during game. I then have to mutter the same sayings every time the opposition have a corner. Do they help? Who knows - but like today when you go home with a smile on your face and get ready to go through it all again it all seems to make perfect sense. COYW.

HatterDon

To quote a very successful baseball pitcher -- and a guy who had a surgery named after him -- Tommy John. "I don't have any superstitions; I think they're bad luck"
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Woolly Mammoth

On my way to each match I go to. I always walk under every ladder, step on the lines of paving stones. Cross the path of every back Cat I meet, throw away a rabbits foot, and break a mirror into pieces.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

Quote from: Peabody on December 09, 2017, 07:40:53 PM
In Fulham Palace, you can't miss it, it's roped off and has notices proclaiming it as a Holmes Oak.

Holm Oak?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Peabody

That's what it says, not an oak that is upright, spread out with lots of props

Holders

Holm oak has serrated leaves and is evergreen - it's not native and this one was probably planted hundreds of years ago rather than a survivor from woodland. Old trees are often supported with loads of props, sometimes unnecessarily. Old Yews, in particular, lower their boughs to the ground to act as natural supports but you sometimes see them supported (or lopped!) quite unnecessarily. Yews that lay their boughs to the ground can form a circle of new trees in that way. It's suggested that this is the origin of some Yew circles where the original tree in the middle died hundreds of years ago.

I don't know that Holm Oak, will look for it next time I'm up.

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

YankeeJim

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 10, 2017, 11:14:52 AM
On my way to each match I go to. I always walk under every ladder, step on the lines of paving stones. Cross the path of every back Cat I meet, throw away a rabbits foot, and break a mirror into pieces.

Heretic!
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

filham

But why  does none of it ever work when we play at Burnley, I suppose those Lancastrians have a better set of superstitions than us.
Oh I know they employ those witches that lived nearby at Pendle.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: YankeeJim on December 10, 2017, 05:32:41 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 10, 2017, 11:14:52 AM

Heretic!

That is affirmative, and biblical.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on December 10, 2017, 06:15:14 PM
But why  does none of it ever work when we play at Burnley, I suppose those Lancastrians have a better set of superstitions than us.
Oh I know they employ those witches that lived nearby at Pendle.

It's mental strength and belief, plus some ability. Nothing to do with superstition, or luck or whether there's a full moon, unless your a Werewolf.

Never forget your Roots.

Andy S

Not one superstition from me. Why do people presume everyone comes from the direction of Putney? I come from the Hammersmith direction along with thousands of others. I wouldn't want to put a figure on it but I would say it is 50/50

Peabody

Quote from: Andy S on December 10, 2017, 08:03:34 PM
Not one superstition from me. Why do people presume everyone comes from the direction of Putney? I come from the Hammersmith direction along with thousands of others. I wouldn't want to put a figure on it but I would say it is 50/50

Well, I used to come the HammersmitH way before I was married. But I see it has become gentrified since my day, you had to run the risk of getting coated in coal dust from Newcastle Coal.

filham

Well in the fifties , before I was married, I used to come the Fulham way ( North End Road) that is when the football was at its best.

Burt

I am sure that if I had any superstitions then I would have been as likely to have witnessed a draw or a loss as a win :)

For that reason, on the basis that superstitions are surely meant to either deliver good luck (i.e. a win) or prevent bad luck (e.g. a loss) then I prefer to have matchday rituals (e.g. a bag of chips from Fishers!) where nothing is at stake!

AnotherOldgit

Quote from: Andy S on December 10, 2017, 08:03:34 PM

Don't you realise how unlucky it is to arrive from Hammersmith? It's all your fault  :003:

F(f)CUK

My son is disabled and cannot talk, but if you ask him if we are going to win he cheers and if you ask him the score he will always signify that we will score one goal.  I have recently stopped asking him and this has seen us beat Millwall and Birmingham 1-0.  No one is now allowed to ask him the result or score.  That is how a superstition is made.