4 games, 3 wins?

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, December 09, 2017, 09:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bobbo on December 10, 2017, 11:13:14 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 10, 2017, 11:05:06 AM
Quote from: davew on December 10, 2017, 10:50:16 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 10, 2017, 10:39:28 AM
When you look at it that way 4 games three wins, that 12 out of 16 points, I think most of us would have bitten their hand 🖐🤚✋🤲 off for that.
I know I am a retired accountant, but don't understand 12 out of 16 points? Did you have a late night?

Blimey thank you for correcting me, I meant 12 out of 17 points.
i don't post every day but I look everyday and almost every day woolly you make laugh.
----- good for my well being eh!

Thank you Bobbo, I am here to serve, and the Salary is quite lucrative as well.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

On paper three wins from four games seem a great return but in fact the performances were poor and if we are realistic we are probably facing three defeats from the next four games.

The Shefield result was of course magnificent but it was a one off performance unlikely to be repeated. Jocanovic was surprised by five goals and is unable to offer any tactical explanation for the performance but must be worried about conceding four goals.

The 1-0 victories against Milwall and Birmingham at the Cottage were, dull, dismal wins against poor teams which could easily have been defeats, Birmingham's penalty miss must have been the worst seen for a long time.

If we are going to finish in the top half of the table we will have to perform a lot better than this.

hovewhite

Fulham winning ugly,lets celebrate.

@jolslover

Quote from: filham on December 10, 2017, 12:24:13 PM
On paper three wins from four games seem a great return but in fact the performances were poor and if we are realistic we are probably facing three defeats from the next four games.

The Shefield result was of course magnificent but it was a one off performance unlikely to be repeated. Jocanovic was surprised by five goals and is unable to offer any tactical explanation for the performance but must be worried about conceding four goals.

The 1-0 victories against Milwall and Birmingham at the Cottage were, dull, dismal wins against poor teams which could easily have been defeats, Birmingham's penalty miss must have been the worst seen for a long time.

If we are going to finish in the top half of the table we will have to perform a lot better than this.

To be fair Millwall are very hard to break down and probably should have beaten Villa away this weekend. Those are the sort of results you have to grind out if you want to get out this division
STH H3

Facts Not Fiction

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Southcoastffc

What's that old axiom about teams winning even when they are playing poorly?   
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Twig

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on December 10, 2017, 04:17:18 PM

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Sorry but just wondering whether you and Filham were at both the games?  I only ask because against Milwall we ground out the result and I for one was delighted that we showed a hitherto missing ability to play that way.  Against Birmingham we played some decent passing football, our movement was good and at times we broke with pace, there was only one team in it.  Apart from the slightly harsh pen, Birmingham didn't threaten at all.  Yes, there is clear room for improvement, I would be the first to agree with that, but the two of you seem to only see things to criticise when there was some very good football to be seen.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on December 10, 2017, 09:10:34 AM
9 points from 12 is a good return.

However, the performances have been below par in every game. This is the worrying thing. We were lucky to beat Birmingham yesterday.

Winning poorly is actually a huge positive. Look at Fergie's utd team, they won so many 1-0 and played poor. We'd all rather a crap game and win 1-0 than have the reverse of the 5-4 game and come out valiant losers.

FFC1987

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on December 11, 2017, 11:25:57 AM
Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on December 10, 2017, 09:10:34 AM
9 points from 12 is a good return.

However, the performances have been below par in every game. This is the worrying thing. We were lucky to beat Birmingham yesterday.

Winning poorly is actually a huge positive. Look at Fergie's utd team, they won so many 1-0 and played poor. We'd all rather a crap game and win 1-0 than have the reverse of the 5-4 game and come out valiant losers.

I mean, you're right but then again, I don't recall United being 12th in the table so its more indicative of a team well below par and looking suspect against below mediocre sides. Sorry to burst the bubble.

toshes mate

Nine points from four games is better than 2 per game which is what a top two club would/should be aiming for.  How you get the points is material to a point and I doubt there is any complacency among the coaching staff because they know our team can do better, especially if our luck with injuries and long term absentees improves.

Burt

We are 9th in the current form table based on the last 6 games, with 10 points.

The challenge is:
1. Whilst an improvement, it's still not play-off form. At least 12 points in every 6 game sequence is needed for that.
2. With the exception of Sheff Utd, the top 6 in the league are above us in the current form table, maintaining promotion / play-off form, and moving further away.
3. Fixing a fragile defence and converting possession to opportunities to goals.

Easy :)

Fulham1959

Quote from: Fulham 442 on December 09, 2017, 11:08:59 PM
How will we batter  Sunderland who drew with Wolves today when they had 10 men? We should have been out of sight against a woeful Birmingham team who couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo.  We were only saved from drawing by their comical penalty miss.

I thought it was "couldn't hit a cow's #rse with a banjo".  When we're talking about team performance it's important that we quote these technical terms correctly.

Woolly Mammoth

If we cannot beat Sunderland in their current state, then we are never going to catch the top six.
We make ourselves hard to beat, by making it a habit to keep a clean sheet. Rather than a rarity . Or/and we outgun them like we did at Sheffield.

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite

Cant see  cookies mob scorin more than us for me 1-0 game.

S.F.Sorrow

Not sure if I would personally call the points against Millwall and Birmingham an upturn in form. Millwall hit the woodwork twice and Birmingham missed a penalty. We deserved the points but we also needed a bit of luck against two relegation candidates.

Sadly we're in a position where we can't afford even a draw against Sunderland. We could win the next 6 and still be below 6th. And even if we close the gap we will also need to play like a top 6 team to stay there.

For any realistic hope of promotion will have to play like Wolves (or at least close) for the rest of the season and then win the playoffs. Possible? Yes, but highly unlikely and anything less than 3 points against Sunderland is probably the last nail in the coffin.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Keynsham on December 11, 2017, 03:48:49 PM
And yet it only takes one bad result to send the place into absolute meltdown..

If it was only one bad result then I am sure nothing would melt. But we have had far too many bad results and performance to sit back like good genitalmen and take it on the chin.

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

This thread is getting abusive and IMO the most recent post crosses the line. Mods?

Woolly Mammoth

Nothing wrong with grinding out results and/or winning ugly, which is something we need to get use to. At least until reinforcements arrive in the shape of a Striker, and a Centre-back to name but two.
It's the result that counts at the end of the day, especially in this Division. 

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite

I love the way slav sets the team out to play,also i think its not gone to plan this season so far.Injuries have played a part and i understand that for slav.I do think he needs a plan B.
But for now i would take more 1-0 wins even not pretty 1-0s.

Woolly Mammoth

It's the result that counts, there is a time and a place for pretty football that's easy on the eye.
It's impossible to play 90 mins plus that way.
Even Man City with all their billions Do not do that for 90 mins. Our priority is to win results, and as a consequence of this if we can play attractive football as well then so be it. 
Winning is what gets us out of bed, not having to explain why we were so unlucky, that is not what I want to hear. I want to hear who scored our goals and how they scored them, whether it's a tap in or a miskick or an opponent sticking it past his own keeper. As long as it's their onion bag bulging and not ours.

Never forget your Roots.