watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

False number 9, what is this all about?

Started by davew, December 10, 2017, 09:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davew

Another new term I hadn't heard until recently, firstly regulatory alignment and now a false number 9, please explain the latter not the former as I haven't got all day to read what that means (lol). Surely we have had a lot of false number 9's over recent years and the true number 9's have either been sold or out on loan.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

@jolslover

A false 9 is basically a striker that isn't a striker. On paper he is the striker but in reality drops deep into the midfield at every opportunity.
Most popular false 9s include Messi under Guardiola and Fabregas for Spain national team.
The positives of a false 9 are it can confuse defenders as they are not sure whether to track the striker dropping into midfield. 
STH H3

davew

Thanks for that explanation, don't think Johanson could be described as a false number 9 then, would other teams really be unsure whether to track him dropping into midfield (lol). I know what you mean though! The thread was posted tongue in cheek!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

cmg

Not a particularly new idea, although a newish name for it.

First came to prominence in this country when England centre-half Billy Wright couldn't find the Hungarian no.9 Hidegkuti to mark him at Wembley in 1953.
The idea probably pre-dates even that.
Don Revie for Manchester City was an early example of its use by English teams.
Known then as the less slick sounding 'deep lying centre-forward'. Although Don Revie wasn't adverse to a bit of 'deep lying' as a manager.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on December 10, 2017, 09:47:47 AM
Another new term I hadn't heard until recently, firstly regulatory alignment and now a false number 9, please explain the latter not the former as I haven't got all day to read what that means (lol). Surely we have had a lot of false number 9's over recent years and the true number 9's have either been sold or out on loan.

A false number 9, hmmm that's simple to explain.
It's a number 6 sewn upside down in error on the back of the shirt.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 10, 2017, 11:28:01 AM
Quote from: davew on December 10, 2017, 09:47:47 AM

A false number 9, hmmm that's simple to explain.
It's a number 6 sewn upside down in error on the back of the shirt.
064.gif  064.gif  064.gif

Nero

A false 9 a player who meant to be a centre-forward but gets nowhere near the goal, hmm who could that be

filham

Quote from: Nero on December 10, 2017, 11:58:47 AM
A false 9 a player who meant to be a centre-forward but gets nowhere near the goal, hmm who could that be
Sorry, I have to repeat what I just said on another thread as it is more apt here.
In view of that penalty miss, the clean sheet we claimed yesterday just has to be a false clean sheet.