watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Should we try to get Malone back?

Started by bobbo, December 12, 2017, 08:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S.F.Sorrow

Malone never really had a great season until he signed for us, did he? What made him such a great player for us then?

Was it because:

1) He fit perfectly into our style/formation and if given the chance will continue where he left off.

or

2) Last season was his "15 minutes of fame", something just clicked for him and he's not likely to perfom at that level again.

Personally I liked him a lot. A bit of an underdog when he signed and turned out to have a great season, one of our key players. Always gave 100%. But I'm still leaning towards option 2). When we sold him I thought it was the right decision. I couldn't see him performing at the same level for another season. Some of the things he did was a bit like "was it a great shot or a misplaced cross". I could never decide if he was really clever or just incredibly lucky!

It would be a bit of a gamble IMO. Bringing back players usually is and in this particular case even more so. The big mistake wasn't selling him but failing to replace him.  I don't consider a player with a long time injury a replacement (even if he had turned out ok).

It's a no from me. But we do need another option at LB.

toshes mate

Quote from: Matt10 on December 12, 2017, 08:57:27 PM
Is this assuming that we don't sell Sess? Look at the proposed figures coming at him. Surely he'll be gone in January.

I note the anguished last sentence, which is both unthinkable and undeniably very worryingly the kind of thing the Club could/would contemplate.  Young Ryan will have a say for sure but then we are lead to believe that was true of Malone too.  The possibility is always there since this is Fulham FC.  I hope you are wrong but.....

toshes mate

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on December 13, 2017, 09:27:18 AM
Personally I liked him a lot. A bit of an underdog when he signed and turned out to have a great season, one of our key players. Always gave 100%. 
I agree with your assessment and also your sentiments as what Fulham should do next. 

Last season Malone found his niche and made full use of his opportunity within a squad that was loaded with people with things to prove.  They all went so close to proving it with honour.  But that was last season and the sales of him and Aluko meant a rebuild on both left and right flanks, something that has proven hard to do because we didn't replace Malone and the jury is still out on Aluko's replacement.   The team is still unbalanced.  Cairney still hasn't managed to consistently find his best form.  Johansen is definitely conflicted by his niggling injury and this is no longer the side of 2016/7.  Therefore Malone would struggle just like the rest have been in the current side.

The key for me is who we buy in January to strengthen rather than weaken the squad.  I just hope the Club's buyers and sellers are up to the task but I have to say I don't think they are.

Carborundum

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 13, 2017, 12:45:20 AM
Quote from: Carborundum on December 12, 2017, 09:35:22 PM
Not for me.  He had the season of his life last year, but his defensive limitations seemed clear enough.  We need players who have a sporting chance of being premier league quality and he's not there. 

I fear You miss the point and are jumping too far ahead. You have to take it in stages. First we have to get to the Premier, and Scott Malone is capable of being part of a team, that can get us there. Once we get to to the Premier if we ever do, and that's debatable, then we can think about how we stay there, as we will have the money to finance our next stage.

You have to find a cat before you can skin it.

So Scott Malone is one piece of the jigsaw that would fit the plan. Let's worry about how we stay there if we ever get there.
Fair enough.  Just out of interest, do you think Wolves have bought players who have a sporting chance of being premier league quality?

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 12, 2017, 09:30:36 PM
I for one would want to keep Sess for as long as possible we sell him in Jan, we can kiss the top six goodbye, only loans and frees will be brought in, and Khan will trouser the profit. That will confirm the Khans have no genuine ambition. I repeat no genuine ambition.
We would like Sess to stay, bring in Malone, and push Sess up in his rightful position.
Not sure we would miss Sess in the form he has shown at left back this season but having Malone at let back and pushing Sess. forward sounds really tasty.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Carborundum on December 13, 2017, 12:14:29 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 13, 2017, 12:45:20 AM
Quote from: Carborundum on December 12, 2017, 09:35:22 PM
Not for me.  He had the season of his life last year, but his defensive limitations seemed clear enough.  We need players who have a sporting chance of being premier league quality and he's not there. 

I fear You miss the point and are jumping too far ahead. You have to take it in stages. First we have to get to the Premier, and Scott Malone is capable of being part of a team, that can get us there. Once we get to to the Premier if we ever do, and that's debatable, then we can think about how we stay there, as we will have the money to finance our next stage.

You have to find a cat before you can skin it.

So Scott Malone is one piece of the jigsaw that would fit the plan. Let's worry about how we stay there if we ever get there.
Fair enough.  Just out of interest, do you think Wolves have bought players who have a sporting chance of being premier league quality?

Maybe Wolves may have certain players, and then maybe not. You never know until you get there.
Unlike us, Wolves are more ambitious, and have a Chairman who has genuine aspirations of Premier League Football, and have proved it by putting their money where their mouth is.
But as I say. They will want to get there first, then count their winnings, and then review the next stage. How to make an impact and stay there.
Apart from being more attractive to the right players, they will have the financial clout and backing that being in the Championship prevents us from having.
To accumulate you have to speculate.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

grandad

I for one would want to keep Sess for as long as possible we sell him in Jan, we can kiss the top six goodbye, only loans and frees will be brought in, and Khan will trouser the profit. That will confirm the Khans have no genuine ambition. I repeat no genuine ambition.
We would like Sess to stay, bring in Malone, and push Sess up in his rightful position.

So when did Mr Khan tell you all this? My impression is that he is ploughing millions into the club, not taking it out. That is ambition enough for me.
Where there's a will there's a wife

bog

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: grandad on December 13, 2017, 03:37:40 PM

So when did Mr Khan tell you all this? My impression is that he is ploughing millions into the club, not taking it out. That is ambition enough for me.
f

Then you need to wake up into the real world. What Millions where, unless you mean in land and property, that's for his own investment to protect him when he sells up.
If you are deluded enough to think that, then I can't help you, nor would I waste my time trying.
Plus what about on the pitch, all I see are free transfers and loans, and the ones that have been bought recently are failures.
Your too easily pleased and you will eventually see the light. He has a hidden agenda, if you cannot see that then you never will.
I refuse to advise you further and in future will charge a fee for consultations.
I am willing to send you my terms and conditions, but time wasters are not welcome. 

Never forget your Roots.

Riversider

NO
Is Malone a £7 million pound player ? No way is he, but that's what Huddersfield would want for him.
Don't understand why people get all misty eyed over Aluko and Malone, we got £13 million  for those two far more than they are worth,
Reading paid £6 million for Aluko and nothing for Mod Barrow, any Reading supporter will tell you that Barrow has been the better deal, I bet they would sell him back to us in an instant if we offered them their money back,
The problem wasn't selling Malone and Aluko it was who we replaced them with, that's the problem.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Riversider on December 13, 2017, 05:35:58 PM
NO
Is Malone a £7 million pound player ? No way is he, but that's what Huddersfield would want for him.
Don't understand why people get all misty eyed over Aluko and Malone, we got £13 million  for those two far more than they are worth,
Reading paid £6 million for Aluko and nothing for Mod Barrow, any Reading supporter will tell you that Barrow has been the better deal, I bet they would sell him back to us in an instant if we offered them their money back,
The problem wasn't selling Malone and Aluko it was who we replaced them with, that's the problem.

Yes that is most certainly the problem, and that £13m was thrown down the drain. Result wise we were better off keeping them.

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

Quote from: Riversider on December 13, 2017, 05:35:58 PM
I think it was both the selling and the replacing.  Malone and Aluko's worth to Fulham should be what they brought to the table and not the pounds and pence used to finance (buying or loan cost) replacements we are still unable to rave about nearly five months later.  Had raves happened then your point makes sense but only then. 

Fernhurst

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on December 13, 2017, 09:27:18 AM
Malone never really had a great season until he signed for us, did he? What made him such a great player for us then?

Was it because:

1) He fit perfectly into our style/formation and if given the chance will continue where he left off.

or

2) Last season was his "15 minutes of fame", something just clicked for him and he's not likely to perfom at that level again.

Personally I liked him a lot. A bit of an underdog when he signed and turned out to have a great season, one of our key players. Always gave 100%. But I'm still leaning towards option 2). When we sold him I thought it was the right decision. I couldn't see him performing at the same level for another season. Some of the things he did was a bit like "was it a great shot or a misplaced cross". I could never decide if he was really clever or just incredibly lucky!

It would be a bit of a gamble IMO. Bringing back players usually is and in this particular case even more so. The big mistake wasn't selling him but failing to replace him.  I don't consider a player with a long time injury a replacement (even if he had turned out ok).

It's a no from me. But we do need another option at LB.

You have only been here a short while Mr Sorrow but your post is exactly my thoughts but phrased more elequently than I could have. 
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

filham

It is being said time and again that we did well to take the money we did for Malone and Aluko. The hard fact is that we have failed to replace either of them with a near equivalent player and that all of the players we purchased in that window are not performing for us as well as those two did.

Also if a couple of players equivalent to Aluko and Malone had been available in the summer at a lower price then why did not Huddersfield and Reading pick them up .

Yes, we did well moneywise but lost out football wise. What business are we in banking or football.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on December 13, 2017, 06:46:50 PM
It is being said time and again that we did well to take the money we did for Malone and Aluko. The hard fact is that we have failed to replace either of them with a near equivalent player and that all of the players we purchased in that window are not performing for us as well as those two did.

Also if a couple of players equivalent to Aluko and Malone had been available in the summer at a lower price then why did not Huddersfield and Reading pick them up .

Yes, we did well moneywise but lost out football wise. What business are we in banking or football.

Precisely,  money does not win matches, but players do.

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Quote from: grandad on December 13, 2017, 03:37:40 PM

Grandad wake up and smell the coffee.  To date Khan's net spend on transfers is close to zero, nil, nada, rien, nothing.  Yes he has spent on infrastructure (Motspur Park) but that is different.

Twig

Quote from: filham on December 13, 2017, 06:46:50 PM

Agreed

Count Flapula

Highly unlikely Huddersfield will sell so quickly - but we need a LB and Malone knows the team / style and it suits him, so realistically i'd be happy to get him back on loan until the end of the season and then take it from there.

Keynsham

Were they both stats signings?

Along for a friend.

FulhamKC

I wonder if players sitting on the bench (or not making it to the bench) in the Premier League prefer that to playing in a lower league. I am sure that it depends on the player.

And to answer the question, I would be happy getting Malone back and moving Sess up.