watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson

Started by Southcoastffc, December 13, 2017, 01:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

I've been watching some of the U23 video clips and this guy looks a cracker of an attacking midfielder.  The club profile says:
"Joined the Academy following a spell on trial. A very intelligent player who can best be described as a creator and scorer of goals. He started the 2016/17 season with the Under-18s, but after some great performances was soon promoted to Peter Grant's PL2 side.  He plays both centrally and out wide, and has a knack for scoring from long range including a half volley with his weak foot against Boro, and another great goal from outside the box against Norwich City in the PL Cup."

He's about 5' 8" so another without great height or, as far as I can tell, great physicality but clearly a great talent and I wonder what anyone who's seen him play live thinks?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Ronnief

Have seen him play at Motspur Park on many occasions.  He must be very close to being in the first team squad.  He has an excellent strike and is probably a better striker of the ball than any in the first team, more accurate too. He also is good in midfield and tracks back to defend well.  He fits SJ's footballing plan very well.

res

Lots of good long range strikes for the U23s, especially from the left to the top right hand corner, but is he strong enough for the first team?

Southcoastffc

Thanks Ronnief - and res, you raise the question behind my question - does he have the strength/physicality for a first team place?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

MikeW

Then again, you could make an argument that more than a couple 'first team players' are not really strong enough for a place?
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Southcoastffc on December 13, 2017, 04:15:17 PM
Thanks Ronnief - and res, you raise the question behind my question - does he have the strength/physicality for a first team place?

The youngsters already have more strength and physicality that some of the foreign imports who look as though they could do with a good meal.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MikeW

Agree Woolly: I really would like to see some of these home grown (or at least home coached) youngsters get a chance.  We have over capacity in bought in (or borrowed) foreign imports who rarely contribute to the squad, frequently disappear altogether and are costing us money.  Many of the academy players are very successful at their level or age and need a chance.  Someone be brave please.  Most likely not our current Coach.

copthornemike

Certainly Thorsteinsson looks a very good, even exciting, prospect.
However as rightly alluded to by the OP the question of his 'physicality' is an obstacle in terms of getting a first team start (although could be used off the bench).
If our first XI were a Sheff Wed / Derby type of team (to name but two examples) in terms of physical size or strength it is probably not difficult to introduce a smaller but technically gifted player.
However our starting XI often appears physically inferior to many Championship teams throughout the team which can be an issue when we are not in possession of the ball and/or introducing a smaller young player.
Even Ream and Kalas, two of our taller players are often smaller than their counterparts, e.g. the recent Millwall match. 

filham

Oh, it would be so encouraging to see a home grown youngster come in to our team and make good. However it is true that really all we dare make space for is someone with physical strength.

Southcoastffc

I don't know when JDT, who is Icelandic, joined the academy but am not sure he can really be called home grown. Whatever, he is a great talent.

BedsFFC

Some of you do realise we have a boy in the team who has been with us since he was 8?

MikeW

BedsFFC - and your point is?  I am looking to actively promote more of them as they are as good if not better than some of the 'talent' we have imported.  And SouthCoast FFC - I did emphasise 'coached' in my response, not necessarily home grown.

CaptainJingles

His strike against Brighton's U23s last Friday was fantastic. Really excited about him.

Woolly Mammoth

I feel our Academy youngsters would put in a better shift. There are times when we have too many passengers when the going gets tough. Whereas you generally get a more honest enthusiastic response from a youth player who would and should show hunger desire and appetite. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Milo

Quote from: MikeW on December 13, 2017, 05:35:10 PM
Agree Woolly: I really would like to see some of these home grown (or at least home coached) youngsters get a chance.  We have over capacity in bought in (or borrowed) foreign imports who rarely contribute to the squad, frequently disappear altogether and are costing us money.  Many of the academy players are very successful at their level or age and need a chance.  Someone be brave please.  Most likely not our current Coach.

Pressure to play the youngsters lost Magath his job..

Keynsham

064.gif 064.gif 064.gif

Oh. My. Dayz.   :wine: :wine:

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Milo on December 14, 2017, 07:46:17 AM

Pressure to play the youngsters lost Magath his job..

Huh?

hovewhite

Introduce them from the bench so theres less pressure on them.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: hovewhite on December 14, 2017, 09:16:54 AM
Introduce them from the bench so theres less pressure on them.

They often get a small cameo before a longer sub appearance and then finally a start.

Count Flapula

Sorry but that doesn't stack up. Jok has given debuts / chances to:
Ryan Sessegnon
Steven Sessegnon
Tayo Edun
Denis Adeniran
Luca De La Torre
Matt O'Riley
Stephen Humphrys
Marek Rodak

All in just a season and a half - some against premier league teams. Level what you want against him but not being brave enough in giving our youth players a chance isn't something that sticks. He has demonstrated he is willing to give them a chance.

All of them are at different stages of development: for instance Edun and De La Torre have started getting chances in league matches; Jok himself stated recently in an interview O'Riley will soon be getting first team action etc. If they are ready i'm confident he will play them as he has shown.