more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham v Leicester 1983

Started by Friendsoffulham, January 10, 2018, 11:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Fulham v Leicester 1983

Fulham and Leicester where both going for promotion to the old 1st division and Fulham had let a 12 point lead over Leicester slip away. Fulham had been in the top 3 since September, but by the time this game was played in April Leicester where on their tails. Leicester would eventually finish 3rd and Fulham 1 point behind in 4th. A draw in this game instead of Leicester winning 1-0 would have seen Fulham promoted instead at seasons end.

Lighthouse

I remember this so well. I said to a mate before the game that I could  see it slipping away. I can even describe the walk back from the ground afterwards. A sad day but one I could feel coming.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Andy S

Wasn't the scorer on that day one Gary Liniker

WokingFFC

Quote from: Andy S on January 10, 2018, 11:31:04 PM
Wasn't the scorer on that day one Gary Liniker
Wilson if I recall correctly. Remember walking back down the Fulham Palace Road afterwards with a sick feeling in my stomach, realising that the dream may be ending!

HillingdonFFC

Remember it so well. 24,000 with 7k Leicester. Coneys miss, Ivors disallowed goal which everyone knew was onside.
A point would have been enough for us, they wouldnt have caught us.
My most vivid memory though was police leading a load of Leicester fans out of the Hammersmith end along the Enclosure touchline. One was & snarling as he struggled with the police trying to restrain him, as he lurched towards the fence he ended up right in front of me, he looked straight in my eyes & then coughed up a massive grolly & gobbed right in my face. I was 13 & I've never forgotten it. Would love to see him now

bog

I was there. Wilson scored a scruffy bobbly goal. Linneker and Alan Smith were their front pairing. Ivor missed a really good chance in the second half. What was really annoying was that somehow Wolves went up and they were rubbish and came straight back down. A really good side we had then. Another painful day at the Cottage..... :016:

092.gif   

Stoneleigh Loyalist

looking back on our collapse that season there were strong conspiracy theories and rumours that for all of the efforts of the team, the Directors did not want us to go,up anyway.

bill taylors apprentice

I remember it too well, painful!

bog

Quote from: bog on January 11, 2018, 08:59:19 AM
I was there. Wilson scored a scruffy bobbly goal. Linneker and Alan Smith were their front pairing. Ivor missed a really good chance in the second half. What was really annoying was that somehow Wolves went up and they were rubbish and came straight back down. A really good side we had then. Another painful day at the Cottage..... :016:

092.gif

Sorry Ivor, it was Dean Coney that missed that chance....this day was just like the 0-1 at home to Preston that saw them win div 3 and us runners up. Mind you at least we went up that time....

092.gif 

Twig

I missed that game but remember the run in and I recall that several members of our squad looked pretty knackered.  I can't remember, did we play a lot of cup games that season? Was that a problem?

bog

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on January 11, 2018, 12:37:03 AM
Remember it so well. 24,000 with 7k Leicester. Coneys miss, Ivors disallowed goal which everyone knew was onside.
My most vivid memory though was police leading a load of Leicester fans out of the Hammersmith end along the Enclosure touchline. One was & snarling as he struggled with the police trying to restrain him, as he lurched towards the fence he ended up right in front of me, he looked straight in my eyes & then coughed up a massive grolly & gobbed right in my face. I was 13 & I've never forgotten it. Would love to see him now

He sounds like a big brave man Hillingdon.....

Woolly Mammoth

His remains are laying in a glass jar, in an abandoned laboratory at Jodrell Bank.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: bog on January 11, 2018, 09:26:21 AM

He sounds like a big brave man Hillingdon.....

Something thats stayed with me over the years, always hated Leicester since that day. Was desperate for Spurs to pip them a couple of years back, thats how bad it is 😉

RaySmith

Brings back many memories, we were unlucky - thanks for posting.

Dixie

Oh that miss by Dixie was painful to watch!
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

Fulham1959

What a save by Peyton ! - the first one, towards the top corner.

OdecaMynoT

The pitch and the shorts.

It was like playing on the beach.
D'er idee thic s'portin' Farlhum domajis d'er bloin iz two my moind obsquired.

res

Quote from: Twig on January 11, 2018, 09:23:28 AM
I missed that game but remember the run in and I recall that several members of our squad looked pretty knackered.  I can't remember, did we play a lot of cup games that season? Was that a problem?

The pitch was a problem...the Rugby League games had churned up the pitch so all our home games were taking it out of our players Also we had a very small squad with no money made available for anyone to fill in...for example we got Andy Thomas on loan for 4 games, he scored a couple but the Board wouldn't sanction the £35k fee. So near the top division but, eventually, so far.

Burt

Remember this, along with the Derby game at the Baseball, as if it were yesterday...

If memory serves me correct, there were a few Leicester in the Hammersmith End giving it large.

SuffolkWhite

Yep was at the cottage for this game, and was at the Derby game to. Such a shame we didn't manage it that season and no money put in the squad to get us over the line.

Still, we all come back to watch Fulham don't we  049:gif
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"