watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-TOOFIF Peter Kitchen

Started by bog, January 11, 2018, 10:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

In the latest excellent edition of TOOFIF just read the interview with Peter Kitchen. Very forthright in his opinion of Bobby Campbell as his boss.....seems he was not given much a chance at Fulham by him.   

092.gif

RaySmith

He was  quite highly rated when he came to us, but didn't do much in his short time with us, I seem to remember.

Alan Warboys was a similarly successful striker  we signed around this time, with a similar outcome.

Chris Guthrie too - but I think he was more successful, and scored a few.

Teddy Maybank was another  striker from his period, who did quite well I remember.

I think Fulham maybe have a record of signing strikers who fail to score many with us, but I suppose it's difficult for strikers, relying on others to provide chances.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: RaySmith on January 11, 2018, 11:16:24 AM
He was  quite highly rated when he came to us, but didn't do much in his short time with us, I seem to remember.

Alan Warboys was a similarly successful striker  we signed around this time, with a similar outcome.

Chris Guthrie too - but I think he was more successful, and scored a few.

Teddy Maybank was another  striker from his period, who did quite well I remember.

I think Fulham maybe have a record of signing strikers who fail to score many with us, but I suppose it's difficult for strikers, relying on others to provide chances.

I liked all those 4 strikers you mentioned when they were signed by Fulham FC.
Peter Kitchen I suppose was the most dissapointing unfortunately.
But t thought the other three did well, especially Teddy Maybank.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bog

If you get a chance to read his side of the story it is a bit of an eye opener.

092.gif 

Lighthouse

Peter Kitchen was a wonderful goal poacher who scored plenty of goals before coming to us for a big fee at the time. But he didn't really fit in with our style. Yes we actually had a sort of style at the time. Kitchen literally a goal line hanger who was deadly at getting into the right positions. But we weren't very good at delivering the service he needed. How familure is that? Plus players who had lost form started to come good. Kitchen was dropped and we did well without him.

Another player who was bought on the back of his reputation. But who was ill suited to us.  Kitchen wasn't given time but then his reputation and fee overshadowed things. We wanted another Ivor type, hard working around the pitch. Kitchen just wasn't that sort of player.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

bog

It also seems that Campbell was dismissive of Ivor who had not long been with us. 'As green as a cabbage' he allegedly commented. It was Malcolm who really gave Ivor the starts.

092.gif 

On the wing

Have just finished reading TOOFIF.  Good interview by Dannyboi with Peter Kitchen (and also the one with Kay Voser).

Must agree with comments above about Kitchen - it was a surprise when we signed him with the other players we had at the time and he never really fitted in.

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: bog on January 11, 2018, 12:08:44 PM
It also seems that Campbell was dismissive of Ivor who had not long been with us. 'As green as a cabbage' he allegedly commented. It was Malcolm who really gave Ivor the starts.

092.gif 

No Davies was a regular for 2 -3 years before MacDonald turned up.

bog

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on January 11, 2018, 01:49:52 PM

092.gif 

Yes you are right, I thought Ivor had played a lot under Campbell. Peter Kitchen was quite adamant about this. 

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: bog on January 11, 2018, 02:24:23 PM

092.gif 

Yes you are right, I thought Ivor had played a lot under Campbell. Peter Kitchen was quite adamant about this. 

I posted something on an 80s football Facebook page recently about Peter Kitchen being a massive flop at Fulham. He replied to my post which was a bit of a shock, he was pretty annoyed & then proceeded to slaughter Bobby Campbell.
Think it was Davies or him, think history proved that Fulham didnt make a bad choice

dgnffc

He seemed a very odd signing at the time as I thought he was too similar in style to Ivor.

bog

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on January 11, 2018, 02:31:39 PM

I posted something on an 80s football Facebook page recently about Peter Kitchen being a massive flop at Fulham. He replied to my post which was a bit of a shock, he was pretty annoyed & then proceeded to slaughter Bobby Campbell.
Think it was Davies or him, think history proved that Fulham didnt make a bad choice

In this interview he comes across as if he never really did anything wrong in his career. Wonder of he had a high opinion of himself and ruffled feathers.

hovewhite

I know Teddie Maybank really well, great character even now and great fun to be out with.

bog

Quote from: hovewhite on January 11, 2018, 06:14:31 PM
I know Teddie Maybank really well, great character even now and great fun to be out with.

That doesn't surprise me. I recall him being on tv in some show a while back ...do you recall this?

MikeW

Chris Guthrie - there's a memory.  What a job he could do for us today!

I recall the opening game of the season at Birmingham in 1979.  In the first half we were awful but come half time - a revelation.  Peter Marinello I think it was took them apart in the second half, Ivor got a hat trick and Guthrie - who had terrorised their defence - got the winner to make it 4-3.  Memory have tricked me on the detail bit I remember a great day out among the Blues!
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

MikeW

Teddy Maybank - recall him playing against Bristol Rovers on the old Eastville ground (now IKEA)  An animal full back called Phil Bater nearly cut him in half with a tackle and the Gas fans were baying 'bring out the dustbin!'  Happy days, but not for Ted!
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Mince n Tatties

Just seen Tommy Lawrence ex Liverpool has died.
Clemence said he learnt everything from him.

Holders

I recall Kitchen coming from Orient where he'd been very successful. I hoped for the same for us and saw him play a few times but he didn't do much. I can't recall if he left quickly or was just dropped.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on January 11, 2018, 02:31:39 PM

092.gif 

That is how I remember things, Ivor came in and hit all the right notes , completely taking over from Kitchen.

Burt

Quote from: MikeW on January 11, 2018, 09:25:26 PM
Chris Guthrie - there's a memory.  What a job he could do for us today!

I recall the opening game of the season at Birmingham in 1979.  In the first half we were awful but come half time - a revelation.  Peter Marinello I think it was took them apart in the second half, Ivor got a hat trick and Guthrie - who had terrorised their defence - got the winner to make it 4-3.  Memory have tricked me on the detail bit I remember a great day out among the Blues!

Remember this - it's not often we end up winning from being 3 down!!