watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Shay Given

Started by Tom, September 20, 2010, 07:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Is going to be allowed to leave Man City in January. I really hope we go after him and secure his services and sell Mark to Arsenal.
Fulham for life!

TonyGilroy

I think that January's a long way away.

Schwarzer may or may not be willing to resign. He had a poor game Saturday but we know he's better than that. I expect he'll come good but if not Stockdale will get a go. And may or may not succeed.

Come January we could have two, one or no adequate keepers and we'll then know what, if anything, we need.

Tom

Quote from: TonyGilroy on September 20, 2010, 08:27:21 AM

I think that January's a long way away.

Schwarzer may or may not be willing to resign. He had a poor game Saturday but we know he's better than that. I expect he'll come good but if not Stockdale will get a go. And may or may not succeed.

Come January we could have two, one or no adequate keepers and we'll then know what, if anything, we need.
Can never look to far ahead for the club. Saying Schwarzer had a poor game Saturday is a huge understatement. He came out of the box at least 3 times. We were lucky they only scored on one of them.
Fulham for life!

TonyGilroy

Sure but that's one bad game to set against maybe 100 good ones.

I've no doubt that the club are preparing a wants list of keepers but it's too early to know what business is going to be necessary in January.

If Schwarzer returns to last years form and signs a new contract we're sorted.

Tom

Quote from: TonyGilroy on September 20, 2010, 08:57:43 AM

Sure but that's one bad game to set against maybe 100 good ones.

I've no doubt that the club are preparing a wants list of keepers but it's too early to know what business is going to be necessary in January.

If Schwarzer returns to last years form and signs a new contract we're sorted.
He is not signing a new deal with us and coming back.
Fulham for life!

TonyGilroy

That's a very categorical statement.

You may well prove to be right but Hughes has said that he wants to try to persuade MS to commit to us and he just may be successful.

If Schwarzers future form is as it was on Saturday he won't be signing for anyone.

Jimpav

I would be surprised if anyone comes in for Schwarz in January unless they were suffering an extreme goalkeeping crisis.

Bearing in mind his contract is effectively up in May it means that anyone who signs him would have him for a max of 18-19 games or probably less if he plays for Oz in January - before they could sign him on a free.

If we signed Given then Schwarz would be stuck on the bench or pretty much get a free transfer. Either way it would be bad business sense.

I agree with the sentiment though Tom. His head doesn't seem to be right at the moment and some of those mistakes could have cost us dear. Given would be my preference right now but we may need to wait until next summer (If Redknapp doesn't get him first).

HatterDon

Given, on the other hand, is vastly overrated. I thought Hart was a better keeper than Shay when City made the deal to get him from Newcastle. He has very quick reflexes and is a sterling shot stopper, but he doesn't inspire coming off the line, nor does he seem to have the dictatorial control over his penalty area that I'd like to see. Of the two, I think Mark is the superior both because of his talent and the fact that he's more familiar with our defenders.

Mr. Gilroy, sir, Mark didn't just have just one shaky match. He didn't uproot any trees against Wolves either. He's not got his rhythm back and he's indecisive, something I've NEVER seen out of him. Unlike Tom [and some others], I don't think he's dogging it. Athletes go through bad patches, and he's going through one now. If Stockdale were fully fit, I'd want him between the sticks rather than Mark -- based solely on current form. Having said that, once we have both Mark and Stockdale fully fit and in-form, we'd be silly to look for someone not as talented as either.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Airfix

Given two years ago, perhaps.  Given now?  No thanks.

Tom

Quote from: Jimpav on September 20, 2010, 01:34:58 PM

I agree with the sentiment though Tom. His head doesn't seem to be right at the moment and some of those mistakes could have cost us dear. Given would be my preference right now but we may need to wait until next summer (If Redknapp doesn't get him first).
I agree Jim, he just doesn't have his head straight right now. Maybe he is just day dreaming of playing for Arsenal. Can't wait till Stockdale is healthy again. He was playing well and wants to be here.
Fulham for life!

SmithyFFC

If MS goes to play champions league fair enough, hes earnt it. But lets at least give Stockdale a chance. Surely hes earned it?!
FTID

Tom

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on September 20, 2010, 07:10:13 PM
If MS goes to play champions league fair enough, hes earnt it. But lets at least give Stockdale a chance. Surely hes earned it?!
I agree with you about Stockdale but I also want a proven goalkeeper on the roster as well.
Fulham for life!