more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (13/01/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 13, 2018, 07:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Middlesbrough v Fulham: Tony Pulis planning changes in Boro ranks

AS well as being assigned with assessing his first-team squad and the structure of his new club in double-quick time, Middlesbrough manager Tony Pulis has plenty of other items in his new year in-tray.

Alongside making decisions on the futures of some players during the transfer window, he must also quickly reacquaint himself with the Championship, having not managed at this level since 2008.

The Welshman is taking in as many games as he can when the opportunity arises with the first few months of his time on Teesside likely to be ultra-hectic. This said, the early signs of his reign are encouraging enough, although a further barometer of Boro's progress will be provided against a Fulham side who have the look of play-off dark horses.

Pulis, who is preparing the ground for some out-of-favour players to leave this month and possibly a couple of new arrivals, said: "It is fresh and it is new, and there is a lot to get my teeth into. "I am trying to get as much knowledge as I can. In some ways, it is a disadvantage and in other ways it is an advantage.

"There are vast differences between this league and the Premier League, but there are enormous differences between teams in that top division.

"But having said that, this club has everything in place to be a strong Premier League club."

"But having said that, this club has everything in place to be a strong Premier League club." Pulis has made no secret of the fact that he is busy trying to cultivate an identity among his charges, a stick which was used to beat his predecessor Garry Monk, with many supporters believing that Boro lacked a playing style under him. Pulis certainly knows enough about the Championship to identify that today's visitors Fulham definitely have a defined and successful one, with the London club being one of the most potent attacking sides in the division on their day. He said: "Fulham are a team with an identity, and it is lovely to watch a team who have that and know what they are trying to achieve in and out of possession. It will be a tough game for us."

Read more at: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough-fc/middlesbrough-v-fulham-tony-pulis-planning-changes-in-boro-ranks-1-8955829

WhiteJC

MIDDLESBROUGH: Pulis - Fulham are 'further along their development' than Boro

THEY might be taking on a side two places below them in the Championship table, but when Middlesbrough entertain Fulham this afternoon, Tony Pulis claims they will be encountering a club that are further along their development trajectory than the Teessiders.

Unlike Pulis, who only took over at the Riverside on Boxing Day, Slavisa Jokanovic has been in charge of Fulham since December 2015. He has experienced some notable highs and lows in that time, losing in the play-off semi-finals last season and suffering a series of explosive disagreements with the Cottagers' board, but has steadily built one of the most accomplished squads in the Championship.

Fulham suffered a stuttering start to the current campaign, but have lost just one of their last six league matches, and Pulis expects this afternoon's game to provide a strong indication of where Boro currently find themselves as they look to force their way back into the play-off positions.

"We've got a tough game with Fulham," said the Middlesbrough manager. "They're a good side. They've got an identity and a manager that's been there for quite a while, so his footprint is firmly laid at that football club. The players will be used to what they do, and what he's asking of them.

"They've got everything in place. They've got what he wants in place to be able to play the way he wants to play. When you get that, you've got a chance.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough/15824523.MIDDLESBROUGH__Pulis___Fulham_are__further_along_their_development__than_Boro/

WhiteJC

Photographer's appeal hits £6k after camera kit 'stolen' from Fulham FC

Micah Crook launched the GoFundMe page after his equipment was taken from the football club

A young sports photographer has raised more than £6,000 in a week after his camera equipment was stolen at a football match.

Micah Crook, from London, told Get West London his equipment disappeared from the press room at Fulham Football Club before their FA Cup third round match against Southampton on Saturday (January 6).

The 20-year-old said the theft happened at Craven Cottage, Fulham FC's ground.

His loss of kit prevented him from covering the match and could stop him from going to Australia to cover the Commonwealth Games in April.

Mr Crook, an AFC Wimbledon supporter, worked as a freelance photographer for the Dons between March 2015 and September 2017.

The theft meant he was unable to photograph Wimbledon's match against Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley the next day.

It could also affect his studies as he requires his equipment for his course at Falmouth University, where he is studying press and editorial photography.

If his equipment is not returned or replaced, he will also miss out on photographing the Commonwealth Games this April in Brisbane, Australia.

Mr Crook, who funded his camera kit by working on a fruit stall since he was 15-years-old, has set a target of £8,000 to pay for new equipment.

The community has quickly backed his appeal, donating an incredible £6,220 of the £8k goal, in just six days.

The Islington resident spoke about the theft. He said: "I got there at 1.30pm and went into the ground.

"I signed in at the media desk, went into the photographers' room and dropped all my camera gear in there because it's safe and secure, and went to grab a bit to eat.

"I went back to the photographers' room to get my gear and set up pitch-side and I couldn't find my gear.

"Someone's moved everything round I thought.

"So I checked around the room and it's not there. At that point there's a sort of urgency about the room, there's a massive panic.

"I got told 'maybe someone's taken it out on the pitch' because everyone's got the same massive camera suitcase.

"So I frantically ran round the pitch looking at everyone's gear and it's not there, so I let the media desk know."

The sports photographer has praised Fulham FC for their help following the incident.

He said: "In the aftermath of what happened Fulham have been absolutely amazing.

"The surveillance man who was looking at the footage took time finding the CCTV clips and playing them to me.

"There were three lenses in there, a couple of teleconverters, two camera bodies, a flash gun, memory cards and my laptop which is devastating.

"Thankfully all my images have been backed up so I haven't lost my whole archive of images.

"The support I've been getting is really amazing."

The hardworking student, who didn't have insurance for his camera equipment, said he was reluctant to set up a GoFundMe page but is grateful to those who have supported his appeal.

He continued: "I'm in full-time education and working but you can't just save up £8,000 to afford equipment so easily.

"It was naive of me not to have insurance. I know there are some people who think that it's possibly wrong for me to ask people as I'm aware no one owes me anything.

"I'm so grateful to everyone who has funded me, who has supported the campaign.

"AFC Wimbledon have supported the campaign and have raised awareness. A few of the players donated as well as fans from across the world.

"It is truly touching."

"Another person to thank is Stuart MacFarlane, Arsenal Football Club's club photographer, who has donated a camera body," Mr Crook said.

"To have them donate me a camera is truly amazing and remarkable and I can't thank Arsenal Football Club, but in particular him, enough."

If you would like to donate to Micah's appeal, click here.

Fulham FC have been contacted for comment and the theft has been reported to Met Police.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/photographers-fundraising-appeal-hits-6k-14150219

WhiteJC

Up next: Middlesbrough (a)
by Dan on January 13, 2018

After the disappointment of what still seems a rather tame exit from the FA Cup at the hands of a subdued Southampton last weekend, Fulham return to league action with what appears a pivotal clash with Middlesbrough this afternoon. After the Sheffield derby stalemate at Bramall Lane last night, Slavisa Jokanovic's side are just four points off the top six with a game in hand and could leapfrog today's hosts with a win at the Riverside Stadium. Both Aboubakar Kamara and Lucas Piazon have talked up this contest as 'massive' and, for once, this isn't the hyperbole that so often infects modern football.

It will be far from easy for Fulham on Teesside, however. Tony Pulis, whom the Craven Cottage faithful have rightly refused to forgive following his disgraceful remarks in the aftermath of the death of Matthew Fox at Gillingham, has his sights set on an immediate return to the top flight and you can already see the imprints of the former Stoke City and West Brom manager on his new charges. His impact was illustrated by the manner in which Boro came from behind to secure a vital win at Preston North End on New Year's Day and Pulis wasn't about to waste that precious momentum. He took the FA Cup seriously last weekend – unlike so many other managers – and a motivated side took Sunderland apart. It isn't difficult to believe Danny Higginbotham went he describes his old manager's ability to make his players 'feel 10ft tall' and Fulham will have to be prepared for a thorough examination of their own promotion credentials, which may well be robust and physical, today.

Middlesbrough sit a couple of places and points above Fulham in the Championship table and that was one of the reasons they made the decision to ditch Garry Monk and move for Pulis, who has a proven track record of securing promotion in domestic football. The Welshman has been candid enough to admit his still assessing much of the squad that he has inherited on Teesside, although Pulis has indicated a desire to trim his player resources by the end of the month. That could mean moves for the likes of Adam Clayton, Fabio, Patrick Bamford or Ashley Fletcher over the course of the window – but Pulis is still left with a very strong first team squad at his disposal.

Boro have won four of their last five and head into this afternoon's fixture full of confidence. They certainly possess plenty of pace and power up front – the presence of Britt Assombalonga is one of the reasons why Pulis might be prepared to let such a glut of attacking talent leave the Riverside during January. The Congolese striker, who pushed Felix Magath to the brink with a devastating hat-trick at the City Ground back in 2014, seems to have overcome the injuries that had disrupted his career after such a bright introduction to life in the Championship and already has twelve goals to his name this season. With service likely to be provided by the experienced Stewart Downing and Adama Traore, one of the brightest talents in the division, you can expect that former Middlesbrough defender Tomas Kalas and Tim Ream will be kept busy this afternoon.

The midfield battle might well be where the game can be won – and Fulham could well be without the services of skipper Tom Cairney, who showed signs of experiencing more trouble in his knee after requiring treatment in the warm-up before Fulham's first win of the new year against Ipswich. Pulis could well pair the formidable Adlene Guedioura with creative hub Jonny Howson in front of the defensive shield Grant Leadbitter as a talented midfield trio, who will look to get a grip of the contest early on. If Cairney does miss out later today, it is vitally important that Ollie Norwood rediscovers the form of earlier in the campaign – rather than the iffy passing that blighted his last outing in the Cup against Southampton.

Fulham's record at the Riverside is far from encouraging. The Whites have never won at Middlesbrough's not-so-new home, with Boro enjoying an unbeaten run of thirteen home fixtures. You have to go back to the final day of the 2006-2007 season, when Lawrie Sanchez's side had already secured safety following Clint Dempsey's winner over Liverpool a week earlier, and a Simon Davies strike in a 3-1 defeat for Fulham's last goal at Middlesbrough. The Whites haven't won on Teesside since a 2-0 win in March 1984 – with the high points since then being when Jean Tigana's side scored two stoppage-time goals through Sean Davis and Facundo Savage to salvage a point from 2-0 in 2002 and a painstaking point achieved by Kit Symons' side in 2015.

Jokanovic has already indicated that he will give Cairney the best possible chance of proving his fitness before deciding on his starting line-up but he does have dilemmas elsewhere in the line-up. Marcus Bettinelli has returned to training following the hefty blow he took in conceding Ipswich's opener ten days ago and could replace David Button in goal, whilst Kevin McDonald should continue at the base of the midfield having missed some training following the FA Cup exit. Jokanovic's big call will be whether to entrust the in-form Kamara with the responsibility of leading the line at Riverside – although with four goals in his last 135 minutes of league action, that should be something of a no-brainer for the Serbian, surely?

MY FULHAM XI (4-3-3): Bettinelli; Fredericks, Odoi, Kalas, Ream; McDonald, Norwood, Johansen; Ojo, R. Sessegnon, Kamara. Subs: Button, S. Sessegnon, Djalo, de la Torre, Kebano, Piazon, Fonte.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/01/up-next-middlesbrough-a/

WhiteJC

Sky Sports pundit predicts another defeat for Fulham as they face Middlesbrough

David Prutton has predicted yet another defeat for Fulham as they head to the Riverside this Saturday

Sky Sports pundit David Prutton has predicted yet another defeat for Fulham as they take on Middlesbrough this weekend.

Only two points separate Slavisa Jokanovic's and Tony Pulis' sides as they head to the Riverside on Saturday, with both teams knowing a victory would put them right in the hunt for the Play-offs.

Middlesbrough are two points off 6th, while Fulham are four, and if results go their way the Cottagers could be within touching distance of Leeds United in that final play-off spot.

But Prutton is backing them to lose, again, in a 2-1 defeat in the north east.

In his Prutton Predicts column, he said: "What a big win that was for Tony Pulis on New Year's Day as Boro came from behind to win at Preston. Two defeats from their first two league games wouldn't have been a disaster by any means, but you always want to get that first win as quickly as possible.

"Fulham are creeping up quietly on the play-off places again after a good recent run and victory at the Riverside would put them right up there. I reckon Boro will have too much for them on Saturday, though.

"Prutton predicts: 2-1"

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sky-sports-pundit-predicts-another-14145454

WhiteJC

Fulham mull move for Norwich striker Oliveira
by Dan on January 13, 2018

Fulham are considering making a January move for Norwich City striker Nelson Oliveira, according to a report from the Sun this morning.

Slavisa Jokanovic has highlighted the addition of attacking reinforcements as a priority during the transfer window after Fulham's big money summer signing Rui Fonte has struggled for both form and fitness following his move from Braga. The Whites are keeping a close interest in Oliveira's availability, especially after the Canaries knocked back a bid believed to in the region of £8m for the Portuguese forward from Derby County.

Oliveira has been out of favour under new Norwich boss Daniel Farke despite starting the season with a late equaliser that earned the Canaries a point at Craven Cottage in August. The 26 year-old has scored eight times in 23 appearances for the Carrow Road outfit this term, finding the net on 18 occasions since his move from Benfica in August 2016.

Fulham won't be short of competition for the Portuguese international's services should they follow up their interest with a formal offer. It remains to be seen whether Derby will return with another bid, but Swansea City, where Oliveira spent six months on loan in 2015, are mulling a move to take the 6'1" striker back to the Liberty Stadium. Jokanovic is keen to add striking options to his squad as Fulham try and resurrect a promotion push in the second half of the season.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/01/fulham-mull-move-for-norwich-striker-oliveira/

WhiteJC

Report: Fulham tracking Norwich City's Nelson Oliveira after £8 million bid rejected

The Norwich City hitman is a reported transfer target for Fulham.

The Cottagers are lining up a January bid for Canaries hitman Nelson Oliveira, according to the Sun, as Slavisa Jokanovic looks to bolster his attacking options at Craven Cottage.

The 26-year-old has enjoyed a reasonably successful campaign with Norwich this season, scoring seven goals in 20 Championship outings thus far, with six of those appearances coming from the substitutes bench.

Fulham currently sit in 10th spot in the Championship table, and will be looking for an injection of goals this month, as they look to begin their assault on the top six.

The Sun claim that the west London outfit are closely monitoring Oliveira's situation at Carrow Road, after Derby County had an £8 million bid rejected for the Portuguese.

The Canaries hitman would undoubtedly offer Fulham something extra in the final third, but it is unclear whether the Norfolk side have any interest in selling him.

Norwich are just five points behind Fulham in the table, so it is unlikely that they would sell one of their key men to a rival this month, although stranger things have happened.

With the January transfer window now open for business though, this will certainly be one for Fulham fans to keep a close eye on.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/13/report-fulham-tracking-norwich-citys-nelson-oliveira-after-8-mil/

WhiteJC

Report – Amaechi and Burton strike as Arsenal U18s come from behind to draw with Fulham

U18 Premier League

Arsenal 2 (Amaechi 58, Burton 80) Fulham 2 (Garrido 20, Abraham 32)

Arsenal U18s saw their winning run come to an end with a 2-2 draw at home to Fulham today but Kwame Ampadu's side still showed impressive spirit to come from behind and earn a point courtesy of goals from Xavier Amaechi and Robbie Burton.

The young Gunners went into this game having won their last seven matches in a row across all competitions and were determined to extend their run.

Coach Kwame Ampadu made seven alterations to his team, with Vontae Daley-Campbell, Zech Medley, Tobi Omole, Burton, Amaechi, Emile Smith-Rowe and Tyreece John-Jules all coming into the side.

Virginia

Daley Campbell-Ballard-Medley-Omole

Benson-M. Smith

Amaechi-Coyle-Smith Rowe

John Jules

Subs: Benson (for M. Smith 72). Not used: Barden, Beckford, Olayinka, Clarke.

Fulham started impressively and opened the scoring in the 20th minute when Jose Garrido found the net before doubling their tally 12 minutes later courtesy of Timmy Abraham, the brother of Chelsea loanee Tammy.

Arsenal lacked cohesion in the first half but they were rather more impressive after the interval and reduced the deficit courtesy of a fine strike from Amaechi, who was teed up by Trae Coyle.

Ampadu's side were determined to at least take a point from the game and then did just that as Burton scored with a spectacular strike to give Arsenal a point.

Next up for Arsenal is a trip to face Liverpool next weekend in the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup.

https://arsenalyouth.wordpress.com/2018/01/13/amaechi-and-burton-strike-as-arsenal-u18s-come-from-behind-to-draw-with-fulham/

WhiteJC

Transfer saga takes a twist as Fulham enter the race for Derby County target

Norwich City striker Nelson Oliveira is attracting a lot of attention this month, with The Sun today reporting that Fulham had joined Derby County in the race for the Portuguese international.

Rams boss Gary Rowett had launched an £8 million bid in an attempt to bring the player to the club, but now Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic could be set to act upon his admiration for the player by launching an offer of his own.

The former Benfica man linked up with the Canaries in 2016 following loan spells with Swansea City and Nottingham Forest, and has scored eighteen goals during his eighteen month spell in East Anglia.

Fulham are in desperate need for new striking options, having seen another Portuguese man in Rui Fonte
struggle since his arrival from Braga in the summer.

The Verdict

With a World Cup on the horizon, Oliveira will know that a place in the Portuguese squad alongside Cristiano Ronaldo and co is well up for grabs, and a move could provide the 26-year-old with the spark to secure his Russia 2018 dream.

Fulham need a striker, and if they have the funds to spend, should certainly look to use them on Oliveria. The player is entering the peak years of his career and will only get better, and should Jokanovic convince Norwich to sell and beat Derby to the punch, the Cottagers must be considered serious dark horses for a late playoff push.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/transfer-saga-takes-a-twist-as-fulham-enter-the-race-for-derby-county-target/

WhiteJC

Middlesbrough vs Fulham team news: Tom Cairney on the bench as Slavisa Jokanovic makes three changes

The head coach makes three changes for the trip to the Riverside, with the skipper only fit enough for a place on the bench

Fulham will be without Tom Cairney as they take on Middlesbrough this afternoon, with the skipper only fit enough for a place on the bench.

Slavisa Jokanovic has made three changes from the side that went out of the FA Cup to Southampton last week, recalling Marcus Bettinelli who missed that loss through injury.

Sheyi Ojo and Aboubakar Kamara are also recalled to the line up in place of Tomas Kalas and Rui Fonte, both of whom drop to the bench.

Ryan Sessegnon is at left back, with Jokanovic opting to use Odoi at centre half in place of Kalas, while the midfield three of Oliver Norwood, Kevin McDonald and Stefan Johansen continue.

Up top, Kamara is flnaked by Ojo and Lucas Piazon, who starts his second game in a row.

Fulham: Bettinelli, Fredericks, Ream, Odoi, Norwood, McDonald, Johansen, Piazon, Kamara, Ojo and R Sessegnon

Subs: Button, Kalas, S Sessegnon, Cairney, Edun, Kebano and Fonte

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-vs-fulham-team-news-14151147

Matt10

Yes, I said from the beginning how Oliviera would be a fantastic signing. Hope they can make that happen. He deserves first team football.