watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Was it really a penalty?

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, January 13, 2018, 05:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimsbeerbelly

Talking about Middlesbrough's here, their fans are up in arms about it??!!

For me, Braithwaite practically had his left arm and hand wrapped around Kalas's neck and face, before getting thrown to the floor.

When he did, he made a meal of it, as Kalas was still bent over, after trying to receive a piggy back.

What did you lot think?

Matt10

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on January 13, 2018, 05:23:56 PM

For me, Braithwaite practically had his left arm and hand wrapped around Kalas's neck and face, before getting thrown to the floor.

When he did, he made a meal of it, as Kalas was still bent over, after trying to receive a piggy back.

What did you lot think?

I agree with you. He practically close-lined Kalas. The ref was right there, saw it, and at the same time Kalas wasn't even looking at the player, it was two fouls and the ref let them play. I think it was a good, but brave, call.

NogoodBoyo

I thought it was a penalty, but I might have been influenced by the homer commentator on ESPN 3 who labelled it endlessly as a stonewall penalty.  I didn't see Braithwaite's shenanigans, but I'll be sure to look for them on the highlights.
Having said that, Boro would still have had to score from the spot, Fulham are often better once we've gone one down in the second half, there was a lot of time left and we were far more inventive and dominant the longer the game went on. 
So, let's not pretend they would have automatically won the game and been nearer that play-off spot. Plus their finishing was very poor today.
Nogood "it wasn't the deciding matter in the match, isit" Boyo

Nasty Neil

we were In line with the penalty claim and we couldnt believe it was given !  but so what, how many times have we been robbed as we're always evens it self up over the course of the season. why do we have so many wet blanket fans? could you imagine how the Boro fans would have reacted?? it's not a crime to support your team or to be passionate or even biased.
perhaps these fans who obviously never travel to game should Polo i hear that the chaps are very fair and the Corinthian spirit lives on

sunburywhite

Leadbitter left his foot there and Ollie did the rest

Deffo contact but silly penalty to give away
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Matt10 on January 13, 2018, 05:26:55 PM

What did you lot think?

I agree with you. He practically close-lined Kalas. The ref was right there, saw it, and at the same time Kalas wasn't even looking at the player, it was two fouls and the ref let them play. I think it was a good, but brave, call.

That's exactly how i saw it.

An old mate of mine used to say  "It was six and two threes"
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

filham

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on January 13, 2018, 06:20:51 PM

What did you lot think?

That's exactly how i saw it.

An old mate of mine used to say  "It was six and two threes"
[/quote Six of one and half a dozen of the other is perhaps the better known phrase.

Southcoastffc

What did you lot think?

Agreed, Braithwaite fouled Kalas first as described.   Our penalty, from the Sky clip I've seen, looked a little soft - and was stupidly conceded by the Boro player who needed to do nothing, but fortuitously for us gave the ref an excuse.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Southcoastffc on January 13, 2018, 06:33:31 PM

What did you lot think?

Agreed, Braithwaite fouled Kalas first as described.   Our penalty, from the Sky clip I've seen, looked a little soft - and was stupidly conceded by the Boro player who needed to do nothing, but fortuitously for us gave the ref an excuse.

Agree on all accounts. Have no idea what the announcer was going on about with a stone wall penalty on Kalas. Braithwaite's elbow was lodged in Kalas' ear. Not sure what else Kalas could have done.

jarv

All in agreement, Kalas was fouled first, never a penalty.

Nero

to me on seeing a reply from behind the goal look a pen, Kalas pushed him hard in the chest. If it was the other way round you would screaming for a penalty

F(f)CUK

That should have been a penalty, whereas ours was soft. First time in a long time that I can think we had the most important decisions going our way.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: F(f)CUK on January 13, 2018, 07:49:04 PM
That should have been a penalty, whereas ours was soft. First time in a long time that I can think we had the most important decisions going our way.
Why should it have been a pen against us when Kalas was fouled first? (Assuming the ref saw both sides of the coming together)
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

paulbrookersmazydribbles

Thought we got the rub of the green on the refereeing decisions for the first time in absolutely ages today.

I've just seen the replay of the Kalas challenge and can appreciate what the previous posters in this thread are saying but, for me, Kalas is a) incredibly stupid to raise his hands like that and b) very lucky not to concede a penalty. Could very easily have been given, especially as the referee didn't seem to want to penalise Braithwaite for his initial aggression.

Our penalty was clear as day. It was a silly challenge and, if Ollie keeps this up, I might actually start becoming confident when we get awarded spot kicks in the future!

FFCpmd

Braithwaite should have been penalised the moment he gave Kalas a back-hander to the face, so would have been a travesty if the ref had given a penalty for any subsequent reaction by Kalas.

Andy S

The only way it could have been a pen is if the ref only saw the Kalashnikov bit. I've seen the whole thing on the video and braithwaite had Kalas around the neck before throwing himself to the floor. He could have been booked for simulation

Denver Fulham

It was a clear penalty on Kalas. He obstructed Braithwaite, who chested the ball around him, and then openly shoved him to the ground. This board would melt down if that had been a no-call against one of our players.

Norwood got tripped, but I'm a bit surprised the ref gave it after letting Kalas off the hook.

Better to be lucky than good sometimes. I'm not apologizing for the points.

hovewhite

About time we got a decision from a ref! Long overdue!

Bill2

Quote from: hovewhite on January 13, 2018, 10:30:08 PM
About time we got a decision from a ref! Long overdue!
Looking at the decisions given or not given by the refs this season this a little payback. The first by Kalas boils down to the decision of who was fouling who first, their man had his arm wrapped around Kalas's neck while he was trying to get the ball and then Kalas pushed him over. All the experts are saying it was a penalty and seem to ignore the trailing arm of the Boro man. My view, seen them given and stupid of Kalas to push him in the penalty area especially as he had his back to goal and off balance. As for our penalty, the Boro defender clearly stood on Norwood's toes so is a stone wall penalty, but then I have seen them not given.

So for the first time this season we had the rub of the green.

bill taylors apprentice

Its all about the refs interpretation of the rules, that's the way it always has been.

I'd bet if Kalas's challenge was outside the box most ref's would have given the foul against him ignoring the opponents actions.

But hay ho! who care's we won!