watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Liverpool v Man City - invincible s ....... not this season

Started by Fernhurst, January 15, 2018, 12:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernhurst

Wow, what a high quality exciting encounter - ended 4-3 to Liverpool, Klopp really had his boys primed for this one.
Thoroughly enjoyed watching such an high energy game peppered with terrific goals. The top 6 of The Premier League really is a different division.

One for the oldies ...... doesn't Kevin De Bruyne remind you of former Man City Legend Colin Bell?
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Forever Fulham

He's the Energizer Bunny of the Premier League.   Never seems to run out of gas.  What a great player!

cmg

Quote from: Fernhurst on January 15, 2018, 12:52:58 AM

One for the oldies ...... doesn't Kevin De Bruyne remind you of former Man City Legend Colin Bell?

Yes, very appropriate. Lots of similarities.

Quote from: Forever Fulham on January 15, 2018, 01:08:20 AM
He's the Energizer Bunny of the Premier League.   Never seems to run out of gas.  What a great player!

Bell's colleagues used to call him Nijinsky....After the great racehorse, the last horse, in 1970, to win the Triple Crown (rather than the ballet dancer after whom the horse was named. The horse's dad was Northern Dancer).

Woolly Mammoth

What a great player Colin Bell was. He could run all day and all night. He was so popular with the supporters and the club, that when they were playing at Maine Road, didn't they name one part of the Ground The Bell End ?
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

HV71

Hi- ho, Hi -ho, we are off to Mexico -
with Colin Bell and Francis Lee
and don't forget Mike Summerbee..
Hi ho hi ho hi ho ...

Song of the 1970 World Cup

You are so right Bell was an amazing player and De Bruyne does remind me of him

Great , great game yesterday - both managers sticking to their respective footballing beliefs and slogging it out

Mince n Tatties

Wow, what a high quality exciting encounter - ended 4-3 to Liverpool, Klopp really had his boys primed for this one.
Thoroughly enjoyed watching such an high energy game peppered with terrific goals. The top 6 of The Premier League really is a different division.

Colin Bell (Nijinsky) what a player.
My favourite outside of Fulham.

Twig

Quote from: cmg on January 15, 2018, 01:23:12 AM

Yes, very appropriate. Lots of similarities.

Quote from: Forever Fulham on January 15, 2018, 01:08:20 AM

Bell's colleagues used to call him Nijinsky....After the great racehorse, the last horse, in 1970, to win the Triple Crown (rather than the ballet dancer after whom the horse was named. The horse's dad was Northern Dancer).

That was a great era for racing. My personal favourite was Brigadier Gerrard a Great strapping horse with a big stride.

Skatzoffc

Lol.
Had 90:1 on the 4-3 correct score to Liverpool. Must confess I also had 4-3 to Citeh as well.

Happy days tho.
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

cmg

Quote from: Twig on January 15, 2018, 10:22:26 AM

That was a great era for racing. My personal favourite was Brigadier Gerrard a Great strapping horse with a big stride.

Sure was. The Brigadier came along the year after Nijinsky and the same year also saw Mill Reef. Extraordinary that two such animals would be foaled in the same year. There MAY have been one or two better (actually, one!) since but never two of such quality in the same year. In 1972 we awaited their rematch in the Eclipse but it was not to be. Brigadier Gerard bravely ploughed through the mud that day, but Mill Reef had already run his last race. He would have been suited by the conditions and remains the best soft-going flat horse I ever saw.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: cmg on January 15, 2018, 12:20:25 PM
Quote from: Twig on January 15, 2018, 10:22:26 AM

Sure was. The Brigadier came along the year after Nijinsky and the same year also saw Mill Reef. Extraordinary that two such animals would be foaled in the same year. There MAY have been one or two better (actually, one!) since but never two of such quality in the same year. In 1972 we awaited their rematch in the Eclipse but it was not to be. Brigadier Gerard bravely ploughed through the mud that day, but Mill Reef had already run his last race. He would have been suited by the conditions and remains the best soft-going flat horse I ever saw.

Working in racing most of my life I've seen some great horses here in Newmarket.
But for me the best wasn't from here and that was Mill Reef,if you see how he won Derby,King George and then the Arc going away from his opponents in them races.There are a few in Newmarket who will argue that Frankel is the best,my argument is yes he is up there,but he never beat the quality opposition that Mill Reef did...Everyone has a different opinion though.

cmg

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 15, 2018, 12:50:01 PM
Working in racing most of my life I've seen some great horses here in Newmarket.
But for me the best wasn't from here and that was Mill Reef,if you see how he won Derby,King George and then the Arc going away from his opponents in them races.There are a few in Newmarket who will argue that Frankel is the best,my argument is yes he is up there,but he never beat the quality opposition that Mill Reef did...Everyone has a different opinion though.

Oh dear! Once we start this one down the pub it can go on for hours! So as not to bore the others I will merely add that I am old enough to have bunked off school to see Sea Bird's acceleration at Epsom and, on a tv in a Radio Rentals shop window, watch his demolition of what may have been the strongest Arc field ever assembled and also to have witnessed Frankel's extraordinary feats and for this I am truly thankful. I would like to have seen Frankel tried over a mile and a half, but you can't have everything.

Mince n Tatties

064.gif
Quote from: cmg on January 15, 2018, 01:47:41 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 15, 2018, 12:50:01 PM

Oh dear! Once we start this one down the pub it can go on for hours! So as not to bore the others I will merely add that I am old enough to have bunked off school to see Sea Bird's acceleration at Epsom and, on a tv in a Radio Rentals shop window, watch his demolition of what may have been the strongest Arc field ever assembled and also to have witnessed Frankel's extraordinary feats and for this I am truly thankful. I would like to have seen Frankel tried over a mile and a half, but you can't have everything.

Sea Bird actually my No 2 behind the Reef.
Surprise at 3 would be a 2yo trained by Freddie Maxwell called Cawstons Pride, a machine unbeaten at 2 but never trained on as a 3yo sadly.
Think she won 8 out of 8  final race slaughtered the top 2yo colt at the time Mummy's Pet.

Twig

A pleasure to hear your memories Mince.  Seem to remember that My Swalloiw was also very decent from about that time.  I recall it as a really golden period in racing.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Twig on January 15, 2018, 02:03:36 PM
A pleasure to hear your memories Mince.  Seem to remember that My Swalloiw was also very decent from about that time.  I recall it as a really golden period in racing.

Train

Yes top horse trained here in Newmarket by Paul Davey,one of the 3 private trainers at the time to TV mogul David Robinson.

cmg

Very precocious 2-y-o, every bit as good as a juvenile as the aforementioned Mill Reef and Brig Ger.
As Mince mentioned, was owned by David Robinson who, although disapproved of by the aristocrats of the Jockey Club, was an outstanding philanthropist and saved Kempton Park from the developers who had snapped up Hurst, Manchester and Birmingham. If he were still alive, I wonder what he would think of the 'custodian' Jockey Club's current plans to cover Kempton in expensive dwellings.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: cmg on January 15, 2018, 02:37:34 PM

Very precocious 2-y-o, every bit as good as a juvenile as the aforementioned Mill Reef and Brig Ger.
As Mince mentioned, was owned by David Robinson who, although disapproved of by the aristocrats of the Jockey Club, was an outstanding philanthropist and saved Kempton Park from the developers who had snapped up Hurst, Manchester and Birmingham. If he were still alive, I wonder what he would think of the 'custodian' Jockey Club's current plans to cover Kempton in expensive dwellings.

He also built a club for the Stable lads of Newmarket, and a college for the townsfolk.
Wanted to build an Indoor swimming pool on the towns Several(a grassy area used by horses) jockey club refused permission.. Good man,put a lot more back into the town than the Maktoum family have for all their wealth.

VicHalomsLovechild

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 15, 2018, 04:46:44 AM
What a great player Colin Bell was. He could run all day and all night. He was so popular with the supporters and the club, that when they were playing at Maine Road, didn't they name one part of the Ground The Bell End ?

064.gif

cmg

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 15, 2018, 02:44:21 PM
.. Good man,put a lot more back into the town than the Maktoum family have for all their wealth.

Didn't you get a Rolex then, Mince? I thought everyone in Newmarket got one.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: cmg on January 15, 2018, 03:27:20 PM
.. Good man,put a lot more back into the town than the Maktoum family have for all their wealth.

He got a sack of manure like everybody else. That's why his garden is the best in the County.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: cmg on January 15, 2018, 03:27:20 PM

No missed out on that.
I was with Thompson Jones who was Hamdans trainer when Tom turned to the flat.
He was Quite generous Hamdan that is if you looked after one of his horses and would always leave a good drink for us all every time he came to the yard.