News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

He's not popular, I know, but Rui Fonte on Saturday...

Started by Matt10, January 15, 2018, 12:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt10

Right after we scored the winner. Fans went wild, and even toppled over the barrier of the stewards.

Look who is there to help the fans that have fallen down. None other than Rui Fonte (bottom left)

Has to speak to his character. Very selfless individual, and a good person. You can only wish the best for a person like that. Let's hope he gets a bit more selfish with the ball to score some goals. I still think we haven't seen his best at all yet.

..FOF..

The only reason I can think of why Joka keeps playing him is that he is doing very well in training.

Probably matchday jitters keeps getting to him and he needs time to gel into the squad.

Chicken and egg... if he don't play, we would not know if he overcome it... although other solution to this may be sending him on loan.

Matt10

Quote from: ..FOF.. on January 15, 2018, 02:17:54 AM
The only reason I can think of why Joka keeps playing him is that he is doing very well in training.

Probably matchday jitters keeps getting to him and he needs time to gel into the squad.

Chicken and egg... if he don't play, we would not know if he overcome it... although other solution to this may be sending him on loan.

Yeah. I've said it before. He's the perfect teammate. He tries to set up his teammates. Probably too much of a nice guy that wants to be liked. Straightforward though, he just needs to take more shots. He doesn't take enough, or any really, to even have a chance to score goals. I don't think anyone would fault him. I remember he took a shot, that was blocked, when he came on, and StefJo immediately ran over to him for some words of encouragement.

We will see. Maybe if we sign another Portuguese striker in Oliviera, they'll combine forces and teach eachother how to be a good teammate, and score goals somehow :) .

Forever Fulham

If we played more one or two touch football, he'd shine.  The flow without the body checking.

RaySmith

Jamie said in the commentary that he did quite well when he came on on Saturday- holding the ball up.

@jolslover

STH H3

Mince n Tatties

That'll get us promoted then him being a lovely fella.😵

toshes mate

He does have a lot of really promising sides to his general play and had he been recruited into the squad of a settled side then I think his transition would have been faster.  I have to agree with those who say he has good potential and I hope for Fulham's sake he demonstrates that before his time and chances run out.  If he is going to make it I'd expect him to start showing his goal scoring skills by the middle of February.  I am of course presuming SJ doesn't want him to be sold on.   

Twig

I really want to see the positives but am struggling sadly.

Baszab

Charming bloke ..... maybe a career in PR

Useless footballer for FFC at championship level

ffcthereligion

Indeed I was the fan who first fell through the hoardings. As I looked up he was right there asking if I was alright and tried to help me up. Unfortunately I was stuck where I was!

filham

Yes Fonte may well be a decent bloke and a nice footballer but one goal after 20 starts for a £9m Championship striker suggests something is wrong.
Lets hope he comes good but each game he now plays without scoring makes that less of a possibility.

If we sign a new striker in the next couple of weeks and we stay in the promotion race then Fonte's appearances will become less frequent surely.

snarks

Fonte appears to me to be suited to a 4-4-2 formation, not as a 1 in Slavs system AK is better suited to that style, but is not a perfect fit for it either.

BedsFFC

Quote from: ffcthereligion on January 15, 2018, 10:51:58 AM
Indeed I was the fan who first fell through the hoardings. As I looked up he was right there asking if I was alright and tried to help me up. Unfortunately, I was stuck where I was!
You Muppet  :005:

S.F.Sorrow

Aldo

To be fair he does make a lot of runs and they are never picked up by the midfielders. Perhaps some service from them might help him a little!

Lighthouse

Mentioned before that he seems the right player in the wrong team. We don't tend to see the runs and the link up play he does because the team don't seem to either. As proved when he came on Saturday we worked better as a team but I still don't believe we are getting the best out of him.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

alfie

Quote from: filham on January 15, 2018, 11:06:37 AM
Yes Fonte may well be a decent bloke and a nice footballer but one goal after 20 starts for a £9m Championship striker suggests something is wrong.
Lets hope he comes good but each game he now plays without scoring makes that less of a possibility.

If we sign a new striker in the next couple of weeks and we stay in the promotion race then Fonte's appearances will become less frequent surely.
He didn't set the price did he, he was offered a contract and he took it, maybe we should stop having a go about the fee.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

MJG

All this worry about a striker and we have scored more goals than anyone over last eleven games and joint fourth highest scorers in championship.
As a team we are fine in that regard and he's playing a part in that.

This time last season we had 44 now we have 40 and yet we are a couple of points and a position better. The willingness for some fans to want to see a player fail always shocks me. Some have given up on him, but he maybe still has a big part to play over next 19 games.
Just the views of a long term fan

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: MJG on January 15, 2018, 01:32:22 PM
All this worry about a striker and we have scored more goals than anyone over last eleven games and joint fourth highest scorers in championship.
As a team we are fine in that regard and he's playing a part in that.

This time last season we had 44 now we have 40 and yet we are a couple of points and a position better. The willingness for some fans to want to see a player fail always shocks me. Some have given up on him, but he maybe still has a big part to play over next 19 games.

Other side of the coin,what happens if we don't score in our next six games,will you say your stats stand up then and we still don't need a striker?
Of course we need a striker end off.