News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

He's not popular, I know, but Rui Fonte on Saturday...

Started by Matt10, January 15, 2018, 12:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

The jury is still out for me, he needs to perform regularly against better opposition. He will have the opportunity no doubt, but it's another string to our bow, and at 9m big ones, it has to be.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Porthogs FC

Quote from: snarks on January 15, 2018, 11:11:03 AM
Fonte appears to me to be suited to a 4-4-2 formation, not as a 1 in Slavs system AK is better suited to that style, but is not a perfect fit for it either.
This is why he did so well with Piazon and Sess; both tend to cut in to play like RWF or LWF. Gives the extra dimension that helps his game.

toshes mate

Quote from: Porthogs FC on January 22, 2018, 02:39:26 AM
Quote from: snarks on January 15, 2018, 11:11:03 AM
Fonte appears to me to be suited to a 4-4-2 formation, not as a 1 in Slavs system AK is better suited to that style, but is not a perfect fit for it either.
This is why he did so well with Piazon and Sess; both tend to cut in to play like RWF or LWF. Gives the extra dimension that helps his game.
Agree.  Both Piazon and Sess remind me of the way Martin Peters used to drift into and out of positions defenders expected him to be in.  This makes them so much more able to be in positions to inflict serious damage either themselves or because other attackers are left closely unmarked.

S.F.Sorrow

He was very good against Burton. I even voted for him as MOM (admittedly a bit out of sympathy, Piazon probably deserved it more).

Lets hope the two goals boosts his confidence. I'm still not convinced though. Only 3 goals in 22 matches. Two of them against the weakest defense in the league. Burton was League One quality, at best. He won't get many easier goals than those two.

What pleased me more than the goals was the fact that he starts to look a bit tougher. He won a couple of duels and didn't go down as easily.

I still don't think he is the striker we need but nothing will please me more than being proved wrong over the next couple of weeks.

Starting with Barnsley on Saturday.

Carborundum

He has definitely worked on his physical strength.  Loses the ball less frequently, wins it from time to time.  That's the sign of a good pro, something the club has been telling us about him for months.

We definitely need a striker, that's just a matter of squad balance.  Ayite isn't really up front material and only having two makes us a hamstring and a suspension away from a problem.

Whilst I'm glad Fonte did well, I can't escape that nagging feeling that Championship quality centre backs will quite fancy marking him. 

snarks

For his second goal on Saturday, look at the run he makes, when the ball goes out to Fred, he's not in shot then you see him sprinting to get on the end of the cross, fantastic movement and anticipation

Baszab

He looked better on Saturday
But my grandma could have scored the first goal and Burton were just too bad to really guauge his performance - the jury need  another 2 games  - Barnsley will be much tougher

Woolly Mammoth

He was in the right places at the right time, and that is good anticipation, I shall give him that.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Quote from: Forever Fulham on January 21, 2018, 11:58:38 PM
Some posters on this thread should be eating crow about now.  The man's for real.

Not so fast. A couple against Burton after one goal all season beforehand? I'm pleased for him but he has to do this consistently, jury still out right now.

RaySmith

His first - he was keeping up with play, found the space and provided  an outlet for Piazzon, and his second showed desire and strength, as well as creating a focal point for Fred to aim at.

We'd already seen what he can do with his first goal for the club weeks ago, and maybe this could  now be the true Fonte revealing himself - a potential scoring machine!

toshes mate

Quote from: Twig on January 22, 2018, 10:39:55 AM
Some posters on this thread should be eating crow about now.  The man's for real.

Not so fast. A couple against Burton after one goal all season beforehand? I'm pleased for him but he has to do this consistently, jury still out right now.

So let me get this right, the jury always stays out until the player consistently proves he is consistently guilty of scoring goals?

Baszab

TWFL

Worth mentioning that the lad has 5 assists as well, second only to Freds I believe. Not bad given he's only started 13.

Matt10

I think he's the right character through and through. Notice on his first goal, the first thing he does is point like he's saying "I'm staying here, this is where I belong" while pounding the Fulham crest. He then races across and thanks Piazon. In addition, when Piazon scores, he's jumping/leaping for joy, and races over to Piazon, just going crazy.

I agree that the jury is, and should remain, out on Fonte. I think he's proven he can score, and assist, in this league. It's a matter of his consistency in scoring, and he needs to continue let those numbers work in his favor. Going 2 goals after 2 shots is not always going to be the case. He needs to consistently attempt shots on target to build his in-match confidence.

At the end of the day, who cares if we're right, or we're wrong. What matters is we continue this run of form and when Fonte is called upon, he does what he's supposed to do, which is score goals for the club.

Jims Dentist

Jury still very much out for me.
Did well on Sat, but against Burton.
IMHO I also think that his lack of physique, height and strength will hinder him against championship opponents.

hovewhite

It helped that he had the right support and piazon played a lot closer to him which hasn't happened up to this game,also he seems to have a makings of a partnership building with piazon which could be crucial into the run in to the playoffs .

Mince n Tatties

What vegetables are best to eat with crow,Sprouts or Carrots..Or how about Fried Bread.🍖🍖🍖

sunburywhite

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 25, 2018, 07:00:06 PM

What vegetables are best to eat with crow,Sprouts or Carrots..Or how about Fried Bread.🍖🍖🍖
4 and 20 blackbirds baked into a pie, now find that on BBC Food

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

davew

Matt10, after watching his contribution on Saturday I am not so critical now as I have been in the past every time I have watched him. I actually feel sorry for the guy, he wants to do well for us, frustrating for him, our coach and of course us fans. Will he make the grade for us, the next month should decide it! I am sure everybody that supports Fulham wants him to succeed!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Twig

Quote from: sunburywhite on January 25, 2018, 07:54:08 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 25, 2018, 07:00:06 PM

4 and 20 blackbirds baked into a pie, now find that on BBC Food

I think they showed it on Magpie many years back?