watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

In veiw of the current sporting division in our camp

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, January 15, 2018, 12:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I'm wondering what, besides Fulham and other footie teams are our colleagues second favorite or most disliked
team or sports.

Mine has to be Rugby because of the plethora of first class teams in our area when I was growing up:
London Irish
London Scottish
London Welsh
Richmond
Harlequins
Rosslyn Park
+ Twickers stuff

all within a short walk of my 'homes' and local, The Turks Head (St Margarets)

Dislikes: Most sports that aren't 'powered' by humans: 
Horse Racing, Motor and Motorcycle racing, Cycling
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Forever Fulham

big basketball fan.  at 6'4", an undersized starting  center/forward in school.  But that was a gazillion years ago, before all the towering oak trees.

Woolly Mammoth

Rugby Union, at 6ft 8ins I had no choice but to be a Lock. Best sport on the planet.
Add that to two of my other favourite sports Boxing and Power Lifting, I always seemed to be nursing some kind of injury. But that's character building, and most of the time you just played through it.
Not forgetting Cricket, it really is Chess on grass, a wonderful sport.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

I was quite young (in my early twenties) when I saw my first American Football game.  I was intrigued by it and watched games when I could.  But after about a dozen or so I just got bored feeling that games were repetitive and could be dominated by one or two players having a good quarter.  Also not being able to connect to any team for a 'good' reason was a downer for me, much easier to do in English football with local home clubs to choose from and so I really just lost interest.  Now five minutes is as much as I can take of the sport before I start reading a book or the washing up..... 

Ice hockey is the one sport played in America that I really do love to watch especially live and to a decent standard.   The speed of the play and the physical demands upon players is spectacular.  As a lad I did play field hockey as a fast and tricky winger to a decent standard when my hopes of being a good goalkeeper in football took a knock by not growing taller fast enough, and I love watching it especially since rule changes made it even faster and fairer.  Love clean athletics to bits but who can you trust these days?

Cricket I adore especially the short game or the closer longer games, but I am rubbish at playing apart from being a reliable catcher in the field.

Twig

I love cricket and enjoyed a day at the Lords test last year. I have already entered the ballot for two tests this year. I dreamt of being a quickie and got as far as my local club's colts 11 but that was it sadly.

Thoroughly enjoy live tennis, the speed and reaction times is incredible.

Since we took up the game my wife and also enjoy golf both live and televised, never saw that coming when I was younger!

Holders

Cricket would be my second sport, though I do like RU as well. Proper (3 or 5 day) cricket is chess on grass.

Used to love playing village cricket, league table-tennis and lawn tennis for fun in my youth.

I find it hard to regard things like golf, darts or snooker as sports. They're games that involve skill (like knitting) but no substantial physical effort.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

Quote from: Holders on January 15, 2018, 10:33:18 AM
Cricket would be my second sport, though I do like RU as well. Proper (3 or 5 day) cricket is chess on grass.

Used to love playing village cricket, league table-tennis and lawn tennis for fun in my youth.

I find it hard to regard things like golf, darts or snooker as sports. They're games that involve skill (like knitting) but no substantial physical effort.
Can anyone explain why men are generally better than women at those non physical games.

Holders

Quote from: filham on January 15, 2018, 10:40:58 AM

Can anyone explain why men are generally better than women at those non physical games.

I suspect that women just aren't attracted to them. Women play many of the physical games to a good standard.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Lighthouse

I used to watch cricket and loved watching all sport. But now my interest is mainly Football and Tennis. I will watch the big tournaments of many if they are on tv. But very few events make me wander off to them unless it is football or tennis.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Penfold

Cricket - Middlesex member since 2000.
Occasionally watch London Broncos rugby league.

VicHalomsLovechild

Not a fan of Snooker or Darts. Although the banter between fans at Darts matches is hilarious. If they filmed that instead I'd watch it.

hovewhite

Woolly Mammoth

Golf, darts and snooker are basically organised loafing, where unlike real sports, you actually put on weight while your playing.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on January 15, 2018, 10:40:58 AM

Women are better at knitting though.

Never forget your Roots.

alfie

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on January 15, 2018, 12:58:52 AM
I'm wondering what, besides Fulham and other footie teams are our colleagues second favorite or most disliked
team or sports.

Mine has to be Rugby because of the plethora of first class teams in our area when I was growing up:
London Irish
London Scottish
London Welsh
Richmond
Harlequins
Rosslyn Park
+ Twickers stuff

all within a short walk of my 'homes' and local, The Turks Head (St Margarets)

Dislikes: Most sports that aren't 'powered' by humans: 
Horse Racing, Motor and Motorcycle racing, Cycling
Not quite sure about cycling not powered by humans, whose legs do they use then?
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ChesterTheTabby

Besides playing and loving football (soccer) from the moment I would stand, the other two sports I adore are Rugby and Ice Hockey. Played Rugby throughout my high school years in California and briefly at the collegiate level in San Francisco. Ice Hockey, although I never played due to lack of access growing up, is phenomenal. I follow Munster in Rugby (My Da is from Limerick) and the San Jose Sharks in Ice Hockey. Ice Hockey combines the physicality of rugby with the fluidity and fines of football. 
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

abfg

Judo!! Black belt, coach. Once represented GBR. Often thought I'd do well at the heart of the defence. Got stopped from doing rugby at school for my somewhat martial approach to tackling!!

HatterDon

Likes in sports: baseball and cricket [but NOT the short attention span, go for 6 on every delivery limited over rubbish]

Dislike in sports: bull fighting, American gridiron football, UFC

Likes in Teams: Baltimore Orioles, San Francisco Giants, San Antonio Spurs [NBA], Borussia Dortmund, Luton Town [of course] and I love watching Liverpool and Arsenal

Dislikes in teams: New York Yankees [sorry American Mike], Boston RedSox, Chelsea, Man City, AC Milan, Real Madrid, any team in any country owned by Red Bull
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

toshes mate

Quote from: abfg on January 15, 2018, 08:59:03 PM
Judo!! Black belt, coach. Once represented GBR. Often thought I'd do well at the heart of the defence. Got stopped from doing rugby at school for my somewhat martial approach to tackling!!
Judo is a really refreshing skill to learn.  Did go to evening sessions for a couple of years and really enjoyed it especially being thrown by kids barely bigger than toddlers.  I've always admired people who attained high standards of ability in the sport but work dictated me moving home and I never did look to increasing my interest.