watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Chris Martin

Started by FulhamKC, January 15, 2018, 11:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamKC

Chris Martin is obviously a polarizing figure on this board. Most seem to want to have nothing to do with him while others (I am in this camp) think he was more than a decent CF for us last year and the kind of player we lack up front.

Many on this board also feel that Joka needs to have more say in who is brought in on transfers (I am also in this camp). It seems to me that Joka rather liked Martin last year as he picked him to start quite often.

So, my question is this - if Joka wants Martin back and is able to get him, does knowing Joka got someone he wanted outweigh the dislike for Martin?

Woolly Mammoth

Yes. As we are in no position to be that fussy, no matter what my personal feelings about him are. If Jok wants him, and he is not a distraction or problem in the dressing room, then I will buy that, as long as he punches his weight and repays Joks faith in him.
The priority has to be to gain promotion no matter what it takes.
We may not get that many opportunities.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

HatterDon

I remember watching the Derby match this season and emjoying the surprise on the announcer at the booing he got when subbed on. The announcer honestly thought we'd be appreciative of his contributions last season.

Good thing Martin doesn't have a big desk or he'd be right up there with Satan.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

RaySmith

Well, he seemed to get on OK with the other Fulham team members, and did a job for us,  apart from the problems we all know about.

Yes, if the manager is all right about it, I'd have him back, if no- one else suitable is available.

Matt10

If his work ethic has increased off the ball, then fine. We can't afford a CF who just walks across the 18-yard box, or gives up on 50/50 balls, like he did last year. On the ball, he's fantastic and can find the back of the net. I've never had a problem with that. Last year though, was just poor to watch and incredibly frustrating.

For the record, I'm still very happy with Kamara. The LB role, to me, is so much more important to us right now - so we can move Sess up the pitch.

Woolly Mammoth

The left back position has to be resolved once and for all in this window. If the club has any genuine aspirations to go for promotion this season.

Never forget your Roots.

St Eve

Yes and his name is Malone. Worth a shot

RaySmith

Martin had a rep for being lazy and not trying, but find it hard to believe the manager would entertain playing him is this was the case.

He lacked pace and mobility, but could move fast enough in the area to convert chances, and his strength made him good at holding the ball up, though he wasn't really much good at tackling back.

He is certainly experienced, something that Kamara and Fonte - in this league anyway - lack, and his scoring record was good considering what went on.

But yes, maybe our defensive problems are more urgent. We definitely need an established LB and cover at CB. Our squad seems a bit thin in quality in fact - re cover for established players like Johansen and  Kevin Mac, though  Norwood  was intended as cover for Cairney who it doesn't look like we can depend on to stay injury free, and he has done  pretty well.

S.F.Sorrow

If the club has a policy of not signing players over the age of 28, why would they make an exception for HIM of all people? After all the trouble he caused? Personally I wouldn't want him anywhere near the club and would be absolutely SHOCKED if we sign him.

toshes mate

Boy, must this Club be in a sorry state to be considering bringing Martin back on increased wages (remember the new contract he had with Derby while all the strike shenanigans were being played out). CM did just enough for SJ last season to propel us into being a ruthless football machine and when Matt Smith went there was nobody else.  We lost him for both Derby games and for his suspension as well.  As a last day panic remedy he may be worth considering but surely not in any other context.  Yes he got on with other team members but surely we are entitled to expect that of any transfer in.

If SJ really wanted CM then surely he would not have returned to Derby without at least some evidence of fight involved.  Unconvinced it is a 'good' move.

David I

I'm struggling to understand why Fulham would want a player that went on strike to try and force a move out of Fulham. Yes, I can understand if he was Messi or Ronaldo, but he has fallen down the pecking order of another ECL club.
Having watched all of his home games for Fulham, his work ethic was hardly inspiring and whilst he scored a higher % than our current strikers - that's not saying much......! (Fonte 1 in 18 isn't it?)

RaySmith

Yes, but he  scored 11 goals in his time at Fulham.
How many have  our strikers each scored this season so far?

If he can do a job, and if the manager is happy, and he is contractually signed rather than a loanee, then  if he does a job and gets us up, won't it be worth it, despite his dodgy personal history with us?

Hopefully we  will get someone better though.

toshes mate

I do get the arguments about CM but how many sitters did he miss?  IIRC it started at Cardiff in the league match; a header which was yards wide when he should have done better.  My take is that we really shouldn't have to rely on last day wonders in any window and just because so many clubs do likewise isn't an excuse for it happening here.  We honestly need a recruitment 'team' that works - hard.

davew

Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

alfie

The guy made an error of judgment, which I am sure he regrets, personally I think he was forced into that position by his agent,  McClaren and Derby. Everyone at sometime makes a mistake and deserves a 2nd chance to redeem themselves, if he genuinely wanted to come here and give something back then I would have no problem
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

snarks

Rumours I heard were that Paul clement wanted to move him on as he was involved with Martin's wife. When Clement was sacked Martin wanted to go back because of his family. I'd do the same. If Slav wants him, I'd have him back.

rusty shackleford

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: toshes mate on January 16, 2018, 09:58:31 AM
I do get the arguments about CM but how many sitters did he miss?  IIRC it started at Cardiff in the league match; a header which was yards wide when he should have done better.  My take is that we really shouldn't have to rely on last day wonders in any window and just because so many clubs do likewise isn't an excuse for it happening here.  We honestly need a recruitment 'team' that works - hard.

Wise words and very important that the recruitment team roll their sleeves up this window before it's too late.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on January 16, 2018, 10:01:20 AM
NO WAY, JOSE!!

I didn't realise Mourinho was thinking of coming here.

Never forget your Roots.

cmg

I have not witnessed any of the one thousand minutes Martin has played for Derby in League and Cup this season so I am in no position to comment on his hold-up play, his running in channels, or his wife's off-field activities. But, if we are really thinking of having him back, he must have impressed mightily in these areas because he sure as hell has only got ONE goal and ONE assist in that time.