watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham stadium expansion plan includes new river walk and 4,000 more seats

Started by Friendsoffulham, January 18, 2018, 06:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Fulham are planning a huge expansion to accommodate thousands more fans while creating a new riverside walkway along the Thames.

The Championship side will demolish its Riverside Stand and rebuild with two tiers of seating, while creating shops, cafes and nine short-stay luxury apartments. Capacity at Craven Cottage will increase from 25,700 to 29,600.

The walkway would open a currently closed section of the riverbank and allow people enjoying the Thames Path to continue strolling by the water.

However, it will encroach on to the Thames by up to 11 metres, with the new stand above it - sparking opposition from some locals who say a "quiet and beautiful" stretch could be destroyed. They warn it paves the way for other developments to edge into the river.

Architects Lichfields cited Tottenham Hotspur's expansion and West Ham's move to the London Stadium, saying: "The ambition is to return to the Premier League as soon as possible. The stadium has to match this ambition.

"The river walk can only be provided by cantilevering out, beyond the line of the river wall, with water flowing under the walkway. Fulham FC need to improve stadium capacity and facilities. To achieve this the riverside stand has to be larger." The walkway would shut on matchdays. The flats would be used by Fulham's American billionaire owner Shahid Khan and new players.

Pensioner Jane Swithinbank, who has walked the 215-mile river from its source, said: "This is a very quiet and beautiful stretch. I'm appalled - Fulham not only want to keep the land but take more by cantilevering out over the river. This would set a very dangerous precedent for other developers."

Local author Eivor Martinus said: "We are blessed with rich bird life thanks to the [Barnes] Wetland Centre and greenery on both sides. A colossus reaching well into the river would ruin this."

Amanda Lloyd-Harris of Friends of Bishops Park said the walkway "will be a cliff-like structure which will block wind and threaten use of the river for sailing, and be a safety hazard."

Comments on the planning application are open until tomorrow. If Hammersmith and Fulham council grants permission the club hope to start work by May next year and finish in 2021.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-stadium-expansion-plan-includes-new-river-walk-and-4000-more-seats-a3743621.html

One Martin Thomas

Was honestly waiting for Amanda LloydHarris to make comment. Same for her miserable old sidekick Roger ????? ; can't remember his name. They'll make life difficult and have powerful allies.

HV71

If they lived in SYDNEY they would probably complain about the Opera House ........very sad people

Roberty

Clutching at straws

A beautiful stretch - the mud stinks at low water and she can't have seen the bank since it's not open to the public - she certainly hasn't walked down our bit of the river bank

Rich Bird life - the wetland centre is on the opposite river bank and the bird are probably more disturbed by the rowers and sailors

Block the wind and threaten the river for sailing - old chestnut - this was played out with the MAF application - in the end the council officers brought an end to the compensation discussion and determined their was no detrimental effect on the sailing

Having given permission to the previous carbuncle I can't see that they can suddenly change their minds and vote against this and I would guess the whole thing will hinge on what the river authority has to say about it
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Jimsbeerbelly

They moaned about the same things last time, and didn't get very far, so..

Dixie

I read this in the Standard on the train home this evening and I actually cannot believe the objections:

Local author Eivor Martinus said: "We are blessed with rich bird life thanks to the [Barnes] Wetland Centre and greenery on both sides. A colossus reaching well into the river would ruin this."

Amanda Lloyd-Harris of Friends of Bishops Park said the walkway "will be a cliff-like structure which will block wind and threaten use of the river for sailing, and be a safety hazard."

What on Earth are they on about?!! How will this 'RUIN' the rich bird life?

It's as though they don't realise that there is already a football stadium occupying the site - this will open up the Thames walkway, which has to be a good thing. But Pensioner Jane Swithinbank says "This is a very quiet and beautiful stretch. I'm appalled - Fulham not only want to keep the land, but take more by cantilevering out over the river. This would set a very dangerous precedent for other developers... A quiet and beautiful stretch ENTIRELY TAKEN UP BY A FOOTBALL STADIUM, WHICH YOU CANNOT WALK ALONG. And it seems that she is appalled that we even want to KEEP the land, let alone expand.

I have really gone off other people lately and it is all the fault of the media!
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Dixie on January 18, 2018, 08:26:43 PM
I read this in the Standard on the train home this evening and I actually cannot believe the objections:

What on Earth are they on about?!! How will this 'RUIN' the rich bird life?

It's as though they don't realise that there is already a football stadium occupying the site - this will open up the Thames walkway, which has to be a good thing. But Pensioner Jane Swithinbank says "This is a very quiet and beautiful stretch. I'm appalled - Fulham not only want to keep the land, but take more by cantilevering out over the river. This would set a very dangerous precedent for other developers... A quiet and beautiful stretch ENTIRELY TAKEN UP BY A FOOTBALL STADIUM, WHICH YOU CANNOT WALK ALONG. And it seems that she is appalled that we even want to KEEP the land, let alone expand.

I have really gone off other people lately and it is all the fault of the media!
As this will not be built until 2021, most of these people will have popped their clogs by then!
The same sort of people who complained about Putney Bridge getting built!
NIMBY's with nothing better to do.   :031:
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

MikeW

When I last looked over the wall a few Saturdays ago it was an unloved piece of river bank with a few seagulls on it.

It is a river in a city and what FFC proposes will greatly enhance it.  It looks pretty shallow (no expert me) so taking 11 metres away (or under) to create a walk way where everyone can enjoy a stroll?  What's the problem Mr & Mrs NIMBY?
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

mrmicawbers

NIMBY'S can do one.We have been there longer than any of them.We are not building the structure over the water,but creating a bloody walkway to give people access. I'm sure it would stop people   passing their properties. If they even live around there.

choice_of_ends

Quote from: Friendsoffulham on January 18, 2018, 06:53:48 PM
Fulham are planning a huge expansion to accommodate thousands more fans while creating a new riverside walkway along the Thames.

The Championship side will demolish its Riverside Stand and rebuild with two tiers of seating, while creating shops, cafes and nine short-stay luxury apartments. Capacity at Craven Cottage will increase from 25,700 to 29,600.

The walkway would open a currently closed section of the riverbank and allow people enjoying the Thames Path to continue strolling by the water.

However, it will encroach on to the Thames by up to 11 metres, with the new stand above it - sparking opposition from some locals who say a "quiet and beautiful" stretch could be destroyed. They warn it paves the way for other developments to edge into the river.

Architects Lichfields cited Tottenham Hotspur's expansion and West Ham's move to the London Stadium, saying: "The ambition is to return to the Premier League as soon as possible. The stadium has to match this ambition.

"The river walk can only be provided by cantilevering out, beyond the line of the river wall, with water flowing under the walkway. Fulham FC need to improve stadium capacity and facilities. To achieve this the riverside stand has to be larger." The walkway would shut on matchdays. The flats would be used by Fulham's American billionaire owner Shahid Khan and new players.

Pensioner Jane Swithinbank, who has walked the 215-mile river from its source, said: "This is a very quiet and beautiful stretch. I'm appalled - Fulham not only want to keep the land but take more by cantilevering out over the river. This would set a very dangerous precedent for other developers."

Comments on the planning application are open until tomorrow. If Hammersmith and Fulham council grants permission the club hope to start work by May next year and finish in 2021.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-stadium-expansion-plan-includes-new-river-walk-and-4000-more-seats-a3743621.html

This is really nice!

ffc73

No matter how you sell this to me I do not like the idea of flats or apartments anywhere in the development. Thin. Edge. Wedge.

Lighthouse

Nothing changes. Riverside ambition met with hostility by the same people and arguments. It is all getting a bit boring. Mainly because those who are appalled just don't want a football club there. They never did. I have doubts our owners  want a football club there. For all their guff on historical roots they would be quite happy to sell up and move elsewhere.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Andy S

I just want it built to stuff the N.I.M.B.Ys I'm not bothered by the flats at all

Riversider

So already the goalposts have shifted, up until this article the plan was for work  to commence THIS year now we're suddenly talking about NEXT year !
And secondly this has been dragging on for literally  a life time whilst other clubs just announce then get on with things, a case in point being Chelsea , who had objections to  their new stadium,all objections were quashed in 5 minutes by Hammersmith and Fulham Council, no doubt they will finish their 60,000 stadium before we start our stand.

CincyFulham1

I don't have a problem with the flats.  They are short-stay and " The flats would be used by Fulham's American billionaire owner Shahid Khan and new players."  Have a bite to eat at the new cafe and who knows, Messi might invite you up to check out the river view.

Roberty

Quote from: Riversider on January 19, 2018, 12:20:27 AM
So already the goalposts have shifted, up until this article the plan was for work  to commence THIS year now we're suddenly talking about NEXT year !
And secondly this has been dragging on for literally  a life time whilst other clubs just announce then get on with things, a case in point being Chelsea , who had objections to  their new stadium,all objections were quashed in 5 minutes by Hammersmith and Fulham Council, no doubt they will finish their 60,000 stadium before we start our stand.

I think the completion date is the same

Chelsea's plans are not in the clear - they still have to deal with this
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/12/no-light-end-tunnel-chelseas-new-1-billion-stadium/

Everton have had more failed attempts to build a new stadium and over a longer time period than we have
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Roberty on January 19, 2018, 05:21:20 AM

I think the completion date is the same

Chelsea's plans are not in the clear - they still have to deal with this
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/12/no-light-end-tunnel-chelseas-new-1-billion-stadium/

Everton have had more failed attempts to build a new stadium and over a longer time period than we have

Been dealt with, Hammersmith & Fulham council ruled in Chelsea's favour in the week following the residents light objections. They were even talking about compulsory purchasing the house but it never came to that

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: FFC73 on January 18, 2018, 10:12:32 PM
No matter how you sell this to me I do not like the idea of flats or apartments anywhere in the development. Thin. Edge. Wedge.

The flats are not for public sale only rent or for use by the club. At the recent exhibitions the architects said they've been designed so the space could easily be converted back to football stadium facilities at a later date if the club so desired

MJG

remember this is from a newspaper and no quotes from anyone at club or council on that date.
The plan is still to have it seen in  March/April at planning and if it gets the go ahead then plan is basic work to start from May/june with major works  summer 2019.
Just the views of a long term fan

toshes mate

FFC will have known all about the likely objections to the new 'Riverside' long before the ink was dry on the original drawings. 

For starters the intention is to use the stadium everyday rather than the present limited use and that was always likely to be provocative. 

Another thing I, for one, was ignorant about is the closure of the new river walkway on match days which seems to me to suggest it will not be a public thoroughfare (and that is not, IMO, the way to invite people onto your side – Mr Khan and company please note).  Surely security could be introduced to stop people accessing shops etc and then nipping into the football stand to watch the game for free!  The publicity says it is providing a new public river walkway not one that shuts whenever it is inconvenient to open it.  On my scorecard that is a big minus point.

The NIMBY comments are truly misplaced.  Many of these residents have lived with a football stadium on their doorsteps for a long time and there has always been hassle from those who do not like either the sport or the supporters or both.  But these people must also tolerate all of it because the ground is there and it isn't going away.  Accept these people are raising objections because they feel obliged to do so in the planning application phase – it is the only chance they get.  They simply wish to prevent further added nuisance value to having the ground on the doorsteps and the Club will already have answers to their questions ready.   There are expensive properties and powerful people in the vicinity who perhaps see the irony of an absent owner wanted to inflict 'damage' to up his profits.

The wetlands area across the river may be affected by everyday increases in human activity several tens of metres away.  If the experts feel it is an issue then let them deliver the facts to the planning committee.  The issues of interference with wind and boats etc are also matters experts will deal with via facts from both sides.

We live in a democracy and planning consent involves hearing from all sides fairly.  On the one hand FFC have canvassed supporter comments and not just from local residents.  Local residents will be doing their own campaigning.  Some may support the project wholeheartedly.  It is going to be a 'debate' because that is the very nature of these things.   There is no need for people on either side to be offensive since it just makes matters worse.  The outcome will be the outcome and there'll be winners and losers and that may determine the fate of the development or not as the case may be.  .