Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on January 21, 2018, 12:03:15 AM
Quote from: Statto on January 20, 2018, 11:50:39 PM
Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on January 20, 2018, 11:01:43 PM
Quote from: Statto on January 20, 2018, 10:57:59 PM
Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on January 20, 2018, 10:55:59 PM
Quote from: Statto on January 20, 2018, 10:47:51 PM
Andy S has already answered the two comments above his very well for me

Why is it "cringeworthy" to sing about the person who IMO (actually it is probably a clear fact rather than just my opinion) has had a bigger positive impact on the club than any other individual in our history? Just because it was all of 4 years ago he left?

Also the "take me home" song is a throwback to the Europa Cup games, particularly Hamburg away, which was probably the best season in our history.

Honestly i must be missing something, don't understand the OP at all

Take me home, Al Fayed? He's gone, ain't coming back, and what did that have to do with the Europa League run?? It was more to do with returning to CC, which we've done.

Move along, nothing to see here

maybe you had to be there to understand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCzYwXx7HCc

I was, twice, but it still doesn't have any relevance to the Europa League, just because it was sung there by a bunch of fans. Song was more aimed at Fayed, and our return to CC, which again, has come and long gone.

sorry, but just because it originated somewhere else, how does that mean it doesn't have any relevance to the Europa League? technically it's an old 70s tune by John Denver so you could say it has no relevance to fulham at all, if you're going to be like that. however Ask any normal person who was at hamburg away what they think of when they hear/sing that song and maybe you'll understand the relevance.

I just said, I was there, twice, even in and around when that song was being sung. It still has no relevance to us being in Hamburg, the draw, the game, or even going back to the final. If anything, is was sung as a feel good factor, that is it.

What should we sing?

paulbrookersmazydribbles

I totally disagree with the idea that we should drop the 'Take Me Home, Al Fayed song'.

For one, it isn't a song venerating him. It was a protest song, imploring the man who had agreed to sell Craven Cottage to himself in the name of property development and hidden it from the fans, to take Fulham back to our historic home. In the aftermath of Wimbledon being moved to MK Dons, those supporters who did protest were told it would never be successful but a small band of fans grew into thousands and Fulham came back to Craven Cottage.

It became more of an anthem during the Hodgson era simply because it was a decent song I think and one that everyone could get behind. It might now serve as a salute to MAF for doing what we were calling for - and I've got no problem with that. I found it especially appropriate today given that the club have put in an application to redevelop the Riverside Stand.

Those are just my thoughts anyway,

RaySmith

I think it's a great song, on par with You'll Never Walk Alone, with its emotional power and resonance for Fulham fans.

It has become part of our identity, reflecting our history, and we should definitely continue to sing it.

mrmicawbers

Never heard it before but singing Piazon to the tune of D I S C O

toshes mate

I always thought football songs are meant as endearments, unless they are about protest that is.  And so perhaps the Khan family needs to endear itself to the Club through honest action and not transparently dishonest PR.  Then perhaps a few lusty newcomers may be added to the lengthy Fulham archive of songs.  I am just happy to hear the 'victory' anthems because I know things are definitely on the up at Fulham.

mrmicawbers

We need to on from the MAF song and it doesn't make sense

hovewhite

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on January 20, 2018, 11:11:49 PM
Think that melody could be one of the best terrace chants ever
I enjoy the song myself.
Not topic I dont know why  the Andy Williams track at the end of games at the cottage has been binned as the muse cover is rubbish

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: RaySmith on January 21, 2018, 04:48:06 AM
I think it's a great song, on par with You'll Never Walk Alone, with its emotional power and resonance for Fulham fans.

It has become part of our identity, reflecting our history, and we should definitely continue to sing it.

I agree with you Mr Smith.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Penfold

I think you'll find that Bill Muddymam saved the club.  Jimmy admitted that he didn't put a penny in.
I have to agree with the post, take me home Al Fayed, we're home now find another song. Jimmy Hill saved our club, we don't sing for him.
[/quote]

filham

Those of us who enjoyed the MAF years are not going to forget him easily.
Perhaps if Khan can strike up a strong relationship with Jocanovic and help us on our way to promotion this season we may start to think more of him and the MAF years will fade a little.

epsomraver

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on January 20, 2018, 09:33:25 PM
Really needs to be dropped now in my opinion, along with take me home.

Taking nothing away from a good win today, or the great years that Fayed brought us, but he, or his family, haven't set a foot inside CC, since the sale.

Yes, it's nice for him to be remembered, but, as a Club it's a bit cringeworthy now, and although the Kahn's have done nothing to deserve their own song, I'd rather songs be directed at the players.

What is everyone else's thoughts?
0001.jpeg thought exactly the same when I heard it yesterday yet again

EastEndWhite

Really?

epsomraver

Quote from: Scrumpy on January 20, 2018, 11:14:03 PM
The 'He wants to be a Brit, and QPR are poo' one definitely needs to go. I DO cringe when I hear that one. God knows what the present owner makes of that one.

'Take me home' should stay, as it is part of our history and recalls the fight to get back to CC.

Compromise?
agree, it was the Al Fayed song I was referring to, take me home has a different meaning

ffcne

I like it and gets everyone singing,especially away from home .
It was sung at Boro last weekend and got us all behind the team
and thinking we might just win it.
Also unique to Fulham.

Twig

I agree too.  Drop the QPR are poo one by all means but Take me back is now part of our identity as far as I am concerned.  And regards Hamburg; well I recall us singing it to the bloody rafters at both semi and final.  Ok, the words are not directly relevant they obviously pre dated the Europe run but we sang it loud and very very proud.

ffcne

Quote from: ffcne on January 21, 2018, 01:40:52 PM
I like it and gets everyone singing,especially away from home .
It was sung at Boro last weekend and got us all behind the team
and thinking we might just win it.
Also unique to Fulham.
Sorry mistake, this relates to Take Me Home Al Fayed  which is great
Al Fayed Whoa .ok but thats about it.

tommy

"Take me home Al Fayed" brings back great memories of being in Turin and Berlin for the Europa league that year. One of the greatest times of my life. I remember being on the tram to Juventus with the whole tram singing there hearts out. This may never happen again in my lifetime and is a memory I will cherish. I'll sing that song until my dying days.

I moved from London to Vancouver 6 months ago and heard an old country song that it's based on. Brought a tear to my eye.