News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

17 points behind Wolves...have we left it too late?

Started by Fulham Tup North, January 21, 2018, 08:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OdecaMynoT

There's always an ebb and flow in these long seasons.

It seems that some teams,e.g. Shelf.Utd,Bristol, reach dizzying heights and then start to falter and their form ebbs. Like Leeds did last season.

Maintaining the level of performance required,coupled with expectation can lead to intense pressure and a drop in levels.

Fulham on the other hand seem to be well on the up,surfing the start of a big wave, building confidence and riding their luck.(v 'Boro)

If Fulham can maintain the form we've shown(Sunderland excluded) over the last 18 games all is possible.

2nd place has to be the goal. My finger nails are still recovering from last seasons play-off disappointment.

COYW's
D'er idee thic s'portin' Farlhum domajis d'er bloin iz two my moind obsquired.

JoelH5

Quote from: filham on January 21, 2018, 12:13:17 PM
Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on January 21, 2018, 11:26:50 AM
Do all of you realise what it actually takes to finish 2nd? We will need around 2.5 points per game for the rest of the season.

So yes, it can be done but not very realistic, is it?  079.gif

We have gathered 2.66 points per game over the last 6 games but can't see us keeping this up for the rest of the season.
Our best hope has to be another play off place but this will be great and keep things exciting to the end.

That's assuming the teams above us, mainly Derby continue in the same form they currently are in. That 2.5 could be higher but it could also be much lower
I was there, standing in the Putney end

MJG

Quote from: One Martin Thomas on January 21, 2018, 11:56:36 AM
Do all of you realise what it actually takes to finish 2nd? We will need around 2.5 points per game for the rest of the season.

And for Derby to finish 2nd ???
I refer you to the table here http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=61456.0
Just the views of a long term fan

Southcoastffc

Quote from: MJG on January 21, 2018, 02:16:47 PM
Quote from: One Martin Thomas on January 21, 2018, 11:56:36 AM

And for Derby to finish 2nd ???
I refer you to the table here http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=61456.0

Thanks MJG, but don't let the facts confuse the issue 😉
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Burt

Just 6 games ago the gap between us and 2nd spot was 18 points. Now it is 8. Momentum is certainly on our side at the moment, however things tend to ebb and flow and so it is likely that the likes of Sheff Utd, Leeds, Bristol City, etc. will start picking up form once again, and it is likely we will also have a rough patch at some stage.

In my view 2nd is probably a step too far, so we'll just have to settle for a win at Wembley instead  049:gif 

MikeW

Some welcome realism on here - papering over cracks .... investment still needed ... realistic points targets ... the oppo we have to play (apart from the rubbish).  Good to see we are mostly realistic.  Hell of a long way to go yet and this team will struggle without strategic investment.  I think I'm being realistic.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Joe5

So we are 8 points behind Derby at the moment, let's see where we are after Barnsley game (poss 5 point gap) . As Derby don't play until 30th and that's away at Millwall
FFC

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: MikeW on January 21, 2018, 09:18:12 PM
Some welcome realism on here - papering over cracks .... investment still needed ... realistic points targets ... the oppo we have to play (apart from the rubbish).  Good to see we are mostly realistic.  Hell of a long way to go yet and this team will struggle without strategic investment.  I think I'm being realistic.

Only an Oasis of realism in a desert of delusion will see us improve. But it's heartening to see the majority of supporters realise we have to improve our defensive options to meet the challenge of many different kinds of opponents, many of whom will attempt to kick us and bully us off the pitch, we have to be prepared to deal with it, and overcome it. But to succeed we need to strengthen, and vision and foresight and good judgement these next ten days will determine which way we are heading.
I hope you are reading this Mr Chairman, you have no excuse.

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

As always the answer to one question is always another question as in "well just how good are we?" coupled with "well just how good are the opposition?".

Which teams have we played that murdered us even when we have played really well? It's actually as tough to answer that question this season as it was this time last season when no one gave us much chance of play off glory as another window seemed to passing us by.  And so the sky really is the limit if we can play like champions for the rest of the season.  Like everyone else I'd like to see some decent signings in this window especially in the key areas already noted but even if we don't get what we all think we need I still believe this team can take all our collective breaths away.

toshes mate

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 21, 2018, 11:30:47 PM
I echo every sentiment Woolly, but with or without Mr Dubious Khan's help, I will cheer on what we have got in the belief the lads and their coaches deserve our full support for a second half of the season every bit as thrilling and exciting as last time around.  We can get to the Promised Land.

MJG

Bit of history over last 6 seasons.

Top 2 teams for last 18 games have achieved:

If we manged to match the best (44) we would end with 89 points
Just the views of a long term fan

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: toshes mate on January 22, 2018, 08:03:56 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 21, 2018, 11:30:47 PM
I echo every sentiment Woolly, but with or without Mr Dubious Khan's help, I will cheer on what we have got in the belief the lads and their coaches deserve our full support for a second half of the season every bit as thrilling and exciting as last time around.  We can get to the Promised Land.

Agreed 👍⚽️

Never forget your Roots.