watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Kamara'goal

Started by res, January 21, 2018, 09:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwian

In some ways better than Steph's finish as he had a defender near him and the keeper came further out, brilliant!!! So pleased for him.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

RaySmith

Quote from: res on January 21, 2018, 09:41:15 AM
Did all the things he couldn't do at the beginning of the season...read the pass, ran into space, controlled the ball at pace, and finessed the finish rather than lashing and hoping. Beginning of a finished product?

Maybe it was through nerves and lack of confidence in a new team in a new league in a new country, that  prevented him showing his true qualities.

MrFFC

Brilliant finish. Have always been a fan of Kamara since seeing him come on against Norwich. Very raw talent but showing signs of massive improvement.
Come on you Whites!! :)

jeremyfulham

View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Kamara'goal
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 12:40:12 PM »

Quote from: jeremyfulham on January 21, 2018, 09:58:29 AM

Loved his little dink pass to Cairney in the build up then turned and ran where he Knew Cairney would put it , I think he could be our secret weapon !

His performances in recent weeks will have put him on the danger lists in a number of manager's notebooks, not must chance of keeping him as a secret weapon.

It was a joke !

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on January 21, 2018, 07:38:54 PM
Quote from: Statto on January 21, 2018, 07:05:21 PM
Quote from: MJG on January 21, 2018, 06:39:54 PM
Amazing he was picked by stats eh?

cheap shot
let's be honest, yesterday he showed a glimpse of finesse, i hope it's a sign of things to come, but unless/until he shows that consistently, i'd bet most people on here could identify a striker at least as good available for the £5-6m we paid for him
even a stopped clock tells the right time twice per day
Absolutely is a cheap shot, but that does not stop many on here forever having a go at the signings we have made. Im sure if we dug out an early thread about him it would be nothing but shots at how he was signed.
The problem with many of the players signed is not the finished article it is how long it takes to get to the finished article and the kind of input that coaches have to put into identifying, remedying, and improving 'raw' talent if remedies can be found.  Perhaps we need a kind of second-tier academy rather than a 'mishitting' recruitment team....   

toshes mate

Quote from: Statto on January 21, 2018, 11:45:49 PM
Agree with all these comments positive comments about Kamara and i'm a massive personal fan of the big man with his shocking pink boots and AK47 branding etc...

but as to the stats team it's not as simple as just saying "player X is good ergo stats are good" IMO, or if it was then you could just point to Mollo, Soares, Graham, Cisse, Djalo - 5 players signed in the summer who are adding literally nothing to the first team now, then it would be a bit like losing 5-1 and saying "oh it's not that bad we got 1 goal"

in reality it's a complex, nebulous subject with lots of ambiguities and unknowns, such as the impact on the players of an unsettled "head coach" and of course the many players we "could have" signed (all totally unknown to us) had transfer selection been in his hands rather than Khan Jnr's and Kline's...
I think this hits the nail on the head. Successful teams are made of players on the same wavelength and IMO that should be the case across the whole personnel 'team' regime at Fulham.  It painfully isn't.  Why?

MJG

Quote from: Statto on January 21, 2018, 11:45:49 PM
Quote from: Scrumpy on January 21, 2018, 10:26:27 PM
The beauty of it is that he is still young and could develop into an incredible player. He is certainly the best athlete I have ever seen at Fulham. Has anyone been that size AND that quick? As a defender, he is surely the last guy you are going to want to mark. He has already developed into a Championship level striker. But if he keeps on going, then who knows where he will stop?

We are quick enough to criticise 'stats' signings, so they should also get credit when it is due. He looked hopeless to begin with but he is looking more and more like a shrewd investment now.

Agree with all these comments positive comments about Kamara and i'm a massive personal fan of the big man with his shocking pink boots and AK47 branding etc...

but as to the stats team it's not as simple as just saying "player X is good ergo stats are good" IMO, or if it was then you could just point to Mollo, Soares, Graham, Cisse, Djalo - 5 players signed in the summer who are adding literally nothing to the first team now, then it would be a bit like losing 5-1 and saying "oh it's not that bad we got 1 goal"

in reality it's a complex, nebulous subject with lots of ambiguities and unknowns, such as the impact on the players of an unsettled "head coach" and of course the many players we "could have" signed (all totally unknown to us) had transfer selection been in his hands rather than Khan Jnr's and Kline's...
Of those 5 Djalo while not being used often has been an unused sub 17 times. Hes young and bought as a player to work on and see how it pans out. We know Slav kicks players into touch if he doesnt like them and yet he keep him around. Has he added anything to the first XI..no. But as a squad player hes there.
Mollo, many can see he has something but clearly falls into the Adel Taarabt group of player. A gamble which has not worked.
Graham we all agree was very odd one and even at the time seemed one winger too many. But known to the league and rated by many clubs and fans.
Soares I have spoken about before. Coaches were very happy with his arrival, but stamina wise not up to it.
Cisse is another young player who hasn't done much wrong when needed, but I can see he doesn't quite have the speed of feet for passing that Joka would prefer. Was in squad quite a bit at start but as the three musketeers got fit and Norward has been solid there was no space for him. Still like Djalo a long contract and age in his favour.

We can look back at any time in any clubs history for players that didn't work out at start or who took time. Or even established players who came in and never played. Even under Roy some signings didn't work.

Cyriac for example who came in last January, many look back and say he was a failure. In fact Joka liked him but just didn't use him enough.

There is no magic bullet for transfers. You can have a DOF, you can have Lawrie Sanchez buying, you can have Jol and brother doing it. At the moment we have the process we have and is it hit and miss like any other. Certainly is.

for example
Summer 2008

Schwarzer
Stockdale
Gera
Teymourian
Smalling
Kallio
Zamora
Paintsill
Stoor
Zuberbuhler
Johnson
Etuhu
Gray
What shall we say there...7 or 8 out of 13 successful?

Just the views of a long term fan

colinwhite

Its never easy signing players that are going to be an instant success. I think the recruitment team have been largely successful in their signings in the last 2 seasons,making some very astute additions along the way. Any coach /manager needs  people who advise him on potential signings (scouts etc),and Slavisa is no different.
But jokanovic has a very distinct style of play and new players must fit into that,or they arent going to get game time. He is also the type of coach who is not going to play players that he doesnt rate ,or who arent prepared tp fit into the side (both going forwards but also in defensive shape) in the way he expects. The problem that I have with recruitment at present is that Jokanovics footboll knowledge (evidanced by the sophisticated way we play ,that few coaches are capable of setting in place), is clearly way beyond some of the people at the club who are helping /deciding  to strengthen the squad.
Kamara sitting on the bench at the weekend  is a little bit of a case in Point. Fonte got the nod over him because Slavisa saw his role in the TEAM as being more likely to succéed alongside Piazon and Sessingnon. i dont think there were too many fans who didnt  scratch their heads at that selection.
I would like the club to carry on following its policy of signing e younger and promising players ,but give SJ greater imput than  at present (and in particular in this window) into who they should be. The club needs to clarify this in a joint statement with Jokanovic so we, the fans , have some kind of incite into what is going on . Of course they are not duty bound to do this and can operate exactly how they like , but i believe it would be a very positive step forward  to both  clarify our intent and reduce friction regarding this issue in many different levels in the club.

MJG

Quote from: colinwhite on January 22, 2018, 11:09:26 AM
Fonte got the nod over him because Slavisa saw his role in the TEAM as being more likely to succéed alongside Piazon and Sessingnon. i dont think there were too many fans who didnt  scratch their heads at that selection.

Really? I think a quick read of timelines on forums and twitter at about 2pm onwards on Saturday would say different once the team was named.

Twig

Quote from: MJG on January 22, 2018, 11:12:53 AM
Fonte got the nod over him because Slavisa saw his role in the TEAM as being more likely to succéed alongside Piazon and Sessingnon. i dont think there were too many fans who didnt  scratch their heads at that selection.

Really? I think a quick read of timelines on forums and twitter at about 2pm onwards on Saturday would say different once the team was named.

Well okay but I was certainly scratching my head at 2 pm!  Delighted I was proved wrong.

MJG

Quote from: Twig on January 22, 2018, 11:25:33 AM
Quote from: MJG on January 22, 2018, 11:12:53 AM

Well okay but I was certainly scratching my head at 2 pm!  Delighted I was proved wrong.
I may have misread first comment, apologies.

Carborundum

Djalo has done a job for us.  Someone has to be available for the last 10-15 minutes to withstand an aerial bombardment.  Only required in certain games, but you just have to have the option.  When he's done it, he's been fine.   

If he's spending all week playing in our current system, learning it through repetition, then he could, just maybe, turn out to be a very capable centre back indeed.

VicHalomsLovechild

I think the whole stats based idea has and could continue to work for us. It broke down because of the relationship between Kline and Slava. It may well be a three way discussion but someone has to lead it.
Currently we sit just below a play off places with several young players under contract who are probably only half a season away from being good enough to play in the Premiership. If AK got the support and service Dembele got from McCormack wouldn't he be as good?

FulhamPHX

cheap shot
let's be honest, yesterday he showed a glimpse of finesse, i hope it's a sign of things to come, but unless/until he shows that consistently, i'd bet most people on here could identify a striker at least as good available for the £5-6m we paid for him
Absolutly is a cheap shot, but that does not stop many on here forever having a go at the signings we have made. Im sure if we dug out an early thread about him it would be nothing but shots at how he was signed.
Including me. I absolutely wrote this guy off after seeing him play around 270 minutes. I honestly didn't feel you could coach the things he lacked, such as trapping a ball, a football 'brain', just all round technical ability. I am really, really pleased that he is proving me wrong. The beauty of it is that he is still young and could develop into an incredible player. He is certainly the best athlete I have ever seen at Fulham. Has anyone been that size AND that quick? As a defender, he is surely the last guy you are going to want to mark. He has already developed into a Championship level striker. But if he keeps on going, then who knows where he will stop?

We are quick enough to criticise 'stats' signings, so they should also get credit when it is due. He looked hopeless to begin with but he is looking more and more like a shrewd investment now.

Reminds me of a young Jozy Altidore, to be honest.  Rare combo of size and speed.  If he can develop the first touch that Jozy never did he could really be something special.

hovewhite

Get the impression that Djalo is getting bench time at least so must be of use to slavs,as for AK in certain games he's in over rui and other games it seems rui gets the nod.What these 3players have in common they have good attitude are disciplined and team players,which pionts to players like mollo aren't

mrmicawbers

Quote from: hovewhite on January 23, 2018, 09:31:19 AM
Get the impression that Djalo is getting bench time at least so must be of use to slavs,as for AK in certain games he's in over rui and other games it seems rui gets the nod.What these 3players have in common they have good attitude are disciplined and team players,which pionts to players like mollo aren't
Has Djalo been playing for the U23 team?I'm sure he has played some games but not sure

Holders

cheap shot
Absolutly is a cheap shot, but that does not stop many on here forever having a go at the signings we have made. Im sure if we dug out an early thread about him it would be nothing but shots at how he was signed.
Including me. I absolutely wrote this guy off after seeing him play around 270 minutes. I honestly didn't feel you could coach the things he lacked, such as trapping a ball, a football 'brain', just all round technical ability. I am really, really pleased that he is proving me wrong. The beauty of it is that he is still young and could develop into an incredible player. He is certainly the best athlete I have ever seen at Fulham. Has anyone been that size AND that quick? As a defender, he is surely the last guy you are going to want to mark. He has already developed into a Championship level striker. But if he keeps on going, then who knows where he will stop?

As good an athlete and as quick as Saha? That's not a dig, just wondered how you compare them.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Carborundum

Have to say I struggle a bit with the idea that AK47 needed coaching to trap a ball.  I watch under 13s and they can all do it.....in training.  But matchday pressure affects them and the results aren't always so impressive.  All I've seen with AK47 is a bloke so keyed up in his first few matches that the balls bounced off his feet naturally transition to a bloke so relaxed with himself, the world and his place within it that he pulled off that goal.  We were 5-0 at the time.  A 1-1 scoreline might not have yielded the same result as the pressure would have been on.

gang

I still think he's like Barry Hayles when he started playing for us and look how he turned out, a Fulham hero.

Twig

Quote from: gang on January 23, 2018, 12:44:57 PM
I still think he's like Barry Hayles when he started playing for us and look how he turned out, a Fulham hero.

I agree, I got criticised by someone previously when I said that I thought he had good feet and natural balance and had the potential to develop good touch.  I'm not saying we see it consistently yet but I have seen enough little touches to persuade me that he could develop into someone very useful indeed.