watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jimmy Armfield

Started by Woolly Mammoth, January 22, 2018, 11:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Has passed away at the age of 82. A great England defender and a real Gentleman. They don't make them like him any more.  RIP.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Lighthouse

Lucky enough to see him play. Always a pleasure to listen to him on the radio. One of the true gentleman of the game.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Dodgin

Fine player and a fine man RIP

filham

Always looked the perfect gentleman on the field and one who relied on skill and not muscle.

cmg

Excellent player and very nice bloke. A one-club man.
Great admirer of Johnny Haynes from whom he took over the England captaincy.
Unlucky to be contemporary of our own George Cohen, to whom he was WC understudy.
An interesting and informed commentator who will be much missed.

Fulham1959

From the BBC website :

"David Anderson: Such sad news about Jimmy Armfield. I'll always love his anecdote about Howard Wilkinson moaning to the press about criticising him and challenges them, saying "how many caps did any of you win?". And Armfield chirps up from the back "43". Wilkinson was in stitches."

Superb !

jarv

Another sad loss to football.

RaySmith

I've seen him  play, with George Cohen playing for us - two of the greatest ever  full-backs.

Great player. Great man.

Carborundum

Every now and again I read something along the lines of "I prefer listening to football on the radio to watching it on TV - the pictures are better".  And each time I think of Jimmy Armfield.  To have been so accomplished as both footballer and broadcaster makes him very special indeed.  Farewell.

HV71

Quote from: Carborundum on January 22, 2018, 05:17:25 PM
Every now and again I read something along the lines of "I prefer listening to football on the radio to watching it on TV - the pictures are better".  And each time I think of Jimmy Armfield.  To have been so accomplished as both footballer and broadcaster makes him very special indeed.  Farewell.
Well put Carborundum - a perfect tribute to a great man . A very sad loss to the game and humanity - RIP

The Swan

RIP  Jimmy Armfield. It was a pleasure to see you play for Blackpool.
It was a pleasure to listen to you on the radio keeping everyone informed.
A true gentleman throughout your life.
The Swan

bog

An absolute gentleman was Jimmy. There was a 2 hour programme on Radio 5 last year and he spoke about his life in football. A wonderful programme. At the World Cup of 1962 in Chile he was voted the best right back in the world but never collected his trophy. He also said that he was nearly transferred to United which meant he would have been on that plane at Munich. Such humility he had and was a proper football pundit. Saw him play a few times, so glad I did. RIP.   

Mince n Tatties

ffcne

Quote from: cmg on January 22, 2018, 11:40:14 AM
Unlucky to be contemporary of our own George Cohen, to whom he was WC understudy.
BBC John Murray .Said Jimmy Armfield would have played in World Cup Final but was injured .??

bobbo

So sad, what a nice man and accomplished full back. I too saw him play a few times not least of all got given a couple of tickets for the England / Scotland 9-3 game 1961 I believe , he played that day .
£2-10s-6d the tickets . Still remember it . RIP JIMMY.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

cmg

Quote from: ffcne on January 22, 2018, 09:35:34 PM
BBC John Murray .Said Jimmy Armfield would have played in World Cup Final but was injured .??

Whoever John Murray might be, this is simply not so.
Armfield was the incumbent right-back when Ramsey handed Cohen his first cap against Uruguay in 1964.
Good as Armfield was, Ramsey always preferred George thereafter. Bobby Thompson of Wolves was picked a couple of times (I think George was injured) and Armfield had a couple of run-outs in the WC warm ups, but George was the regular selection.
Cohen was a good deal faster than most full-backs and was a pioneer of the then new attacking full-back style which fitted well with Ramsey's system of play.
Some people (mostly from the other side of the borough!) felt that Chelsea's Ken Shellito was better than George, and it is true to say that his unfortunate injury left the field more open for George, but George was definitely the No.1 No.2 (if you see what I mean).

ffcne

Quote from: cmg on January 22, 2018, 10:04:06 PM
Quote from: ffcne on January 22, 2018, 09:35:34 PM
etement shocked when i heard it on the radio
Whoever John Murray might be, this is simply not so.
Armfield was the incumbent right-back when Ramsey handed Cohen his first cap against Uruguay in 1964.
Good as Armfield was, Ramsey always preferred George thereafter. Bobby Thompson of Wolves was picked a couple of times (I think George was injured) and Armfield had a couple of run-outs in the WC warm ups, but George was the regular selection.
Cohen was a good deal faster than most full-backs and was a pioneer of the then new attacking full-back style which fitted well with Ramsey's system of play.
Some people (mostly from the other side of the borough!) felt that Chelsea's Ken Shellito was better than George, and it is true to say that his unfortunate injury left the field more open for George, but George was definitely the No.1 No.2 (if you see what I mean).
Thanks for clearing that up.Thought it was a typical BBC statement with no real fact,

bog

Quote from: Carborundum on January 22, 2018, 05:17:25 PM

Totally agree. You could tell by the way the other commentators spoke to Jimmy they were full of reverence. Just reading the Johnny Haynes biography and after Johnny's car crash the one other international to visit him, other than a Fulham player, was Jimmy Armfield.