watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (25/01/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 25, 2018, 06:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Reports: Fulham especially keen on Wolves' Ben Marshall, who is unlikely to join Sunderland

The Wolverhampton Wanderers winger is said to be interesting Fulham as well as Sunderland.

Wolverhampton Wanderers winger Ben Marshall is unlikely to join Sunderland [Express & Star], while Fulham are especially keen on the 26-year-old [Northern Echo].

According to the Express & Star, Marshall is 'moving closer to a Molineux exit', after failing to join his teammates at a warm weather training camp in Spain this week.

And the above report adds that the former Manchester United trainee is being chased by 'a number of Championship clubs'.

It also claims that Wolves are hopeful they will be able to sell Marshall, and recoup the £1.5 million they paid for him in January 2017.

According to the Northern Echo, however, Wolves are only looking for £1 million for the player - who has failed to appear for Wolves in more than two months and does not have a future under Nuno Espirito Santo at Molineux.

The above report adds that Sunderland cannot afford to pay even that, unless they can sell either Lamine Kone or Didier N'Dong, and are therefore pushing for a loan deal.

It also claims that while other Championship clubs - including Fulham - have signalled an interest in Marshall, none have tabled a permanent offer, offering hope to Sunderland.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/24/reports-fulham-especially-keen-on-wolves-ben-marshall-who-is-unl/

WhiteJC

Fulham reject big-money bid from Premier League side for star man

Fulham have turned down a bid of £15m from West Bromwich Albion for key midfielder Tom Cairney.

Once again, the Cottagers have had to contend with constant speculation surrounding their star man in the window and it appears the Premier League club made a big-money bid for Cairney.

However, according to Ed Aarons who works for Guardian Sport, that offer was refused and Fulham have no intention of selling the Scotland international in this window.

After a slow start to the season, the Cottagers are now beginning to find the form many expected of them and sit just one place outside the top six.

Therefore, Slavisa Jokanovic will be hopeful of persuading Cairney to stay in West London and helping Fulham to the top flight as opposed to joining West Brom in their relegation battle.

Whether Alan Pardew returns with an improved offer for Cairney remains to be seen, although it could be likely if Albion receive up to £25m for defender Jonny Evans.

Cairney was a substitute on Saturday as Fulham beat Burton Albion 6-0 although he did come on for the final half hour and get an assist.

The Verdict

Fulham fans will be glad to see the strong stance from the club, however it could be a negotiation tactic in order to drive up the price.

Although, the Cottagers rejected bigger offers for Cairney in the summer so West Brom will have to come back with a much more tempting deal if they are to have any hope to land the Fulham skipper.

The fine run Jokanovic's men have been on in the past month or so may be enough to convince the 27-year old to stick it out until at least the summer, as promotion appears a real possibility.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-reject-big-money-bid-from-premier-league-side-for-star-man/

WhiteJC

Fulham move ahead of Sunderland in transfer tussle for midfielder

Sunderland have been looking for reinforcements all the way through their squad in this January transfer window.

However, their efforts have been hamstrung by the lack of money available to former Wales manager Chris Coleman. Financial mismanagement in previous years has meant that he is almost exclusively shopping in the loan market.

One player Coleman had his eye on with a view to engineering a temporary deal was Wolves outcast Ben Marshall.

Marshall has not played for Nuno Santo's high-flying side since November 9 and was left off of their warm weather training camp to Spain.

That meant a deal looked possible, but according to the Northern Echo, Marshall is now unlikely to join the Black Cats, with Slavisa Jokanovic's Fulham side now in pole position.

The Verdict

The deal for Marshall was one that looked like it might get over the line for Coleman and Sunderland.

It looked like it made sense but what can Coleman do? Fulham are far higher up the league and play better football than Sunderland and if they swoop, it is understandable that Marshall will go.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-move-ahead-of-sunderland-in-transfer-tussle-for-midfielder/

WhiteJC

Fulham captain Tom Cairney has the best pass completion rate in the Championship - despite his injury

Despite struggling with a knee injury, the Fulham skipper is still possesses the best passing ability in the Championship

Some may say that Tom Cairney hasn't been at his usual best this season, he's been struggling with a knee injury all season after all.

But if there's one thing Fulham fans know Cairney for, it's his metronome passing in the middle of the pitch, and according to the stats, the 27-year-old still leads the way.

According to WhoScored.com, Cairney has completed 91.2% of his passes this season, leading the way ahead of Sheffield Wednesday's Jacob Butterfield on 89.5% and Middlesbrough's Adam Clayton on 89.3%.

Interestingly enough, Tim Ream and Tomas Kalas both feature in the top ten, Ream with 87.8% pass completion and Kalas with 86.9%.

It's testament to the way Slavisa Jokanovic has got Fulham playing, that both of his centre backs rank in the top ten for passes completed.

On average, Cairney is making 76.6 passes per game, which is also the highest in the division, followed by Paul Coutts of Sheffield United, with 67.8.

Again, the top ten is full of Fulham players, with Kevin McDonald fourth on the list with 65.5 , while Oliver Norwood is eighth with 61.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-captain-tom-cairney-best-14195420

WhiteJC

West Ham and Fulham target ex-Blackburn man Ruben Rochina

HITC Sport understands West Ham and Fulham eye former Blackburn forward.

West Ham United, Fulham and La Liga side Girona are weighing up moves for former Blackburn Rovers forward Ruben Rochina from Rubin Kazan, HITC Sport understands.

Rochina could be available before the close of the transfer window due to Rubin Kazan's ongoing financial problems.

The 26-year-old, who joined the Russian side in summer 2016, has not been paid for several months and could follow ex-team-mate Yann M'Vila by requesting for Fifa to terminate his contract to allow him to become a free agent.

A number of clubs have been alerted to Rochina's possible availability as they look to strengthen their attacking options before the close of the transfer window.

West Ham's attacking options have been badly hit by injuries, with Andy Carroll facing up to three months out after undergoing foot surgery, while Manuel Lanzini and Marko Arnautovic face spells out with hamstring injuries.

With doubts also surrounding the futures Javier Hernandez, Diafra Sakho and Andre Ayew, West Ham are considering bringing in a new forward and Rochina is thought to figure on their wanted list.

Promotion hopefuls Fulham are also in the market for a new striker this month as they look to maintain their push for the Premier League and they are keeping tabs on Rochina.

Girona are also ready to offer former Spain youth international Rochina a return to his homeland as they look to strengthen their squad before next week's transfer deadline

Rochina moved to Blackburn from Barcelona in January 2011 and scored 11 goals in 54 appearances, although almost half of them were from the substitutes' bench.

Rochina spent the second half of the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons on loan at Real Zaragoza and Rayo Vallecano respectively, before he made a permanent return to Spain in the summer of 2014 when he signed for Granada.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/24/por-west-ham-and-fulham-target-ex-blackburn-man-rochina/

WhiteJC

Fulham face Premier League competition in fight for forward

Former Blackburn Rovers striker Ruben Rochina now plays his football for Russian outfit Rubin Kazan but may be set to leave the club in the January transfer window because he has not been paid for several months.

According to HITC, that has alerted a pair of London clubs, as well as La Liga side Girona, who are keen on bringing the Spaniard back to his home country before February 1.

One of those clubs is Slavisa Jokanovic's Fulham, who have won five home games in the league on the bounce for the first time since 2002, but they face competition from the league above, in the shape of David Moyes' West Ham.

The Hammers have seen their attacking options diminish rapidly in recent days with the news that Andy Carroll, Manuel Lanzini and Marko Arnautovic are all facing an extended spell on the sidelines.

The Verdict

Rochina was always a classy operator and the fact that there is Premier League interest in his signature shows that he would be a coup for Fulham if they can pull it off.

I think there might be other, more cost effective options out there but Fulham still need a top quality striker and if Rochina proves to be that man, they would have a great chance of getting promoted.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-face-premier-league-competition-in-fight-for-forward/

WhiteJC

Fulham home clash designated as Bolton Wanderers' Memories Match

Bolton Wanderers' Sky Bet Championship clash against Fulham at Macron Stadium on Saturday 10 February has been designated as the club's official Memories Match in support of those living with dementia.

The initiative is part of the Bolton Wanderers Community Trust's ongoing support of Bolton becoming a dementia friendly town, beginning in Horwich.

The BWCT are part of the Bolton Dementia Action Alliance, which has the aim of bringing local organisations, groups and businesses together to improve the lives of people living with dementia.

Bolton Wanderers are holding this special matchday meanwhile to raise the awareness of dementia, social isolation and loneliness, alongside promoting Bolton Wanderers Community Trust's Sporting Memories sessions that take place once a month at Macron Stadium.

Prior to the day itself, BWFC will be asking fans to contribute by sharing their best memories of their time supporting the club via Twitter with the hashtag, #BWFCMemories.

A selection of those submitted will also be included in the club's matchday programme.

Bolton Wanderers are also asking fans to wear their retro BWFC shirts to the match to help mark the occasion.

For more information on how the club are supporting Bolton Dementia Action Alliance or on the Trust's Sporting Memories sessions, please visit www.bwct.org.uk or call 01204 673790.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/january/upcoming-fulham-home-clash-designated-as-wanderers-memories-match/

WhiteJC

How I became Fulham's lucky mascot

When I won a free £1,000 bet, my friend advised me to put it all on a home win for Fulham. Which is how I ended going to my first football match – and I loved it

I never imagined that going to my first football match would be one of the consequences of writing a feminist book on the history of women's swimming. But that is what happened. This is how it went.

My book, Swell: A Waterbiography, landed on the William Hill Sports Book of the Year shortlist, for which it gave me a free bet of £1,000. A grand is not a trivial sum of money for me – I have bought cars for less – but I am from arts and crafts stock, and the world of odds is a mystery to me.

"Were you not raised going to the races," asked my friend John O'Farrell, when I requested his help. "I was raised in amateur theatre," I told him. But I wanted the best chance to come away with my stake, at least, so John advised me to put the lot on Fulham to win at home against Burton. Fulham is his team, and my brother-in-law Jon's, and that was connection enough for me.

As well as being wise counsel, John is a good storyteller and understands how to drive narrative. "Let's go and watch the game," he said. "So you can see what happens to your bet." I was up for that: it sounded like a brilliant way to end a chapter. We gathered a gang of four – me, John and his wife, Jackie, and a friend called Tim.

Two days before the match, Ruth, my sister, texted me to say that going to watch football was like going to mass. "Just sit and stand when everyone else does," she advised. "It's like theatre, only cheaper," said John. "And shorter," added Jackie, knowing my aversion for long plays. "It's like being at the Tunnel Club," said Tim. From all these references, I gathered impressions about ritual, community and raucous narrative. But when we arrived at Fulham's ground, Craven Cottage, I suddenly felt like a tourist: this was a language I didn't speak, a building I would visit on a city walk in another country. But as we slipped into the stream of people, and as I squished myself through a narrow turnstile, I started to feel part of something.

That first view from the top of the stairs! If it is familiar to you, maybe you forget how vibrant it is, the whole of the pitch laid out, parakeet green. Squares of light on crane legs at each corner, cutting through the grey drizzle mist, making the grass positively glitter. Serious men wandering across it, staring down, carrying hooks like a granddad's gardening tools, patting down tiny divots like attentive housekeepers laying a royal banquet. We sit almost at eye level with the grass.

Fulham score their first goal at 17 minutes in, and I find myself spontaneously leaping up and yelling "yesssssss!" with the crowd. I'm getting more tense – this is not fun and games, I am here to win after all. At 34 minutes, we get a second goal; it hasn't taken long before I'm calling Fulham "we". It doesn't feel at all like mass, or the theatre. "The thing is," I say to John, "actors do the same thing every night. These guys have no idea what will happen next." These actors constantly surprise me. The way they communicate without a word, the footwork, the twists and turns, the energy and skill, the little dramas that happen in corners that you mustn't get distracted by because play carries on, somewhere else.

The ball goes offside. "You know the offside rule," asks John. "Of course," I reply snootily, as if this is an insulting cliche about women – but, of course, I don't know it.

At half time we are 3-0 up. We stay in our seats for the interval ("It's not called the interval, Jenny"); John and Jackie have bought flasks of tea and a tin-foil parcel of Christmas cake, which is more filling than what you get at communion. Watching football makes you starving.

The sky darkens during the second half, and the colours begin to pop. The Burton yellow, the neon-orange shoes against the green. The bright flash of ads for "beautiful Danish furniture" across the periphery of my vision. Everything is sharper, except my attention, which wanders a bit. I'm brought back by the rumble of thunder from the goal end – it is men, singing "He's one of our own, he's one of our own" as a substitute is brought on. I am sure the announcer declares the sub's name to be Jo Stalin.

Ninety minutes plus three. We did it! The score is 6-0 to Fulham, and it is unprecedented, apparently. Plus, I have won my bet. People tease me that I am a lucky mascot, and I think to myself: "You're joking ... But, actually, I am, I am really lucky." I want to take that luck to another game, and I want to go and watch women play. I want to sing "She's one of our own," maybe. So, next, I am going to see Lewes women's team. If you hear that they have have had an extraordinary run of luck, you will know. That's me, that is.

Swell: A Waterbiography is out in paperback on 8 February.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jan/24/how-i-became-fulhams-lucky-mascot

WhiteJC

Brighton wanted man Tomer Hemed could be ideal for Fulham

Reading have reportedly had a bid turned down for the Brighton & Hove Albion player, who is a familiar Fulham foe.

Reading have had a bid turned down for Brighton & Hove Albion striker Tomer Hemed, The Argus reported on Friday.

Hemed is one of only three strikers currently on Brighton's books, and perhaps explains their reluctance to lose him at this moment in time.

But with reinforcements expected in the Israeli's position, and less than a year remaining on his contract, it would be little surprise if he was to move clubs before September.

And after Chris Martin's return to Derby County this summer, Hemed could be ideal for Fulham.

What's his record like?

His 31 goals in 89 games for Brighton are certainly not to be sniffed at. He scored 14 last season in all competitions, which was at least three more than any Fulham player - not bad considering he was often used as a substitute.

What are his strengths?

Strength, yes. Also, heading, positioning in the box and penalties. Fulham, of course, should be aware of all this already, having been on the receiving end of five Hemed goals in three meetings with the former La Liga player.

Any negatives?

At 30, he's perhaps not a long-term signing, and is six years older than Diego Rolan, the Bordeaux striker Fulham are said to be chasing. If we're being critical, then Hemed is considerably slower than the Uruguayan too.

Would he go to Fulham?

If Brighton do strengthen up top, then Hemed would be wise to seek alternative employment and one would expect Fulham to be among the more attractive English destinations, given their ambition and location. There are, however, rumours which suggest the Cottagers are now using stats to identify new recruits, and it remains to be seen if Hemed would be deemed a suitable addition on that basis alone. Logic, on the other hand, would suggest yes.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/07/21/brighton-wanted-man-tomer-hemed-could-be-ideal-for-fulham/

WhiteJC

These Fulham players need to be seeking a six-month loan deal in the next week

Fulham are having a stormer at the moment with them right at the top of the form table in the Championship.

The men from Craven Cottage started in pretty average fashion this season and there might have been concerns that they were not going to make the top six this year.

Now, though, they are flying along and look set to challenge for the play-offs at the very, very least this season.

Slavisa Jokanovic will be pleased with what he is seeing, then, and he'll surely be looking to add to his squad where he can before the end of the transfer window in a week from now.

With that in mind, though, we also think some players need to ask for a move away on a temporary deal to try and get minutes under their respective belts.

With that said, then, here are two players who should ask to leave Craven Cottage on a short term basis...

Luca de la Torre

De la Torre seems like a bright enough prospect at the club at the moment.

However, despite Fulham still needing a goal-scorer he's not going to get much of a look-in for the remainder of the season and so a loan move away would be ideal.

He's got the talent to do a job for a club in this country it just doesn't appear to be Fulham. Yet.

Marcelo Djalo

The defender hasn't adapted to the game in this country since his summer arrival.

A move back abroad might boost his confidence but a move to a club in England might enable him to get used to things more.

Ultimately, he is not very confident at the moment and he needs a move where he is going to be able to build that back up.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/these-fulham-players-need-to-be-seeking-a-six-month-loan-deal-in-the-next-week/

WhiteJC

Fulham are weighing up a move for Rubin Kazan star

Championship side Fulham are weighing up a move for Rubin Kazan's Ruben Rochina, according to HITC Sport.

Rubin Kazan are experiencing financial difficulties and are trying to offload a number of their players. Fulham are showing an interest in Rochina but will face competition from Premier League side West Ham United and Spanish outfit Girona.

Rochina, 26, has played in England having played for Blackburn Rovers from 2011 to 2014. He now plays in Russia but could be set to leave this window and a move back to England could be on the cards.

He was born in Spain and has represented his country at U17, U18 and U19 level. He played for Valencia as a youngster before being snapped up by Barcelona. He was a regular for Barcelona's B team before he was signed by Blackburn in 2011.

Blackburn were in the Premier League when Rochina signed for them but they were relegated in the 2011/12 season. After relegation to the Championship, he was shipped out on loan back to Spain to Real Zaragoza and Rayo Vallecano. He made the permanent switch back to Spain when he signed for Granada in 2014 from the Rovers.

After two seasons playing for Granada he was signed by Rubin Kazan for €10 million. He would be a decent coup for Fulham who are aiming to reach the Play-Offs again this season. Their manager, Slavisa Jokanovic, is keen to add some more attacking options before the end of the season and Rochina would certainly be an impressive signing if they can pull it off.

http://the72.co.uk/97356/fulham-weighing-move-rubin-kazan-star/

WhiteJC

Nottingham Forest set for another impressive away following at Fulham, as fans snap up first allocation

Nottingham Forest fans have already snapped up 2,500 tickets for the trip to Craven Cottage - and now 1,500 more have been made available by the London club

Nottingham Forest are set for another impressive away following when they head to Fulham in early February.

The Championship club have been allocated another 1,054 tickets for the game on Saturday February 3, having already sold 2,500 for the fixture.

There will be another packed away end in London, following on from this weekend's visit to Hull in the FA Cup, where more than 4,000 Reds fans will make the trip for the fourth round clash.

There would be a similar number packed into the Putney End at Craven Cottage, if the fresh allocation of 4,084 are now snapped up, with fans getting right behind the start of a new era, following the appointment of Aitor Karanka as manager.

Forest lost 3-2 at Fulham in February, despite goals from Pajtim Kasami – against his former club – and Ben Bremerton.

But they did win at the Cottage on their previous visit, when a brace from Henri Lansbury and a strike from Robert Tesche secured a 3-1 success, in April 2016.

Forest will look to build on their last away game in the Championship, when they claimed an unexpected but utterly deserved 2-0 success over Wolves.

Tickets for the Fulham fixture are on general sale and are priced at £25 for adults, £20 for over-65s, £20 for 18 to 21-year-olds and £15 for under-17s.

The extra allocation includes 207 restricted view seats, which are priced with a £2 discount on the above figures.

Fulham cannot confirm whether a pay-on-the-day facility will be available so advance purchase is encouraged.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/nottingham-forest-set-another-impressive-1112841

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

For some time we've threatened to really put a team to the sword, and Burton Albion were the ones who found themselves on the end of our biggest win for years. They're not the strongest side ever but you've still got to put these teams to bed. Following up the Boro win with a 6-0 thrashing, the teams above us are going to be looking over their shoulders and worried about us on their coattails. The lads have handled the pressure of getting back into the Play-Off mix, the next challenge is to handle the pressure of staying in there. I'm genuinely excited about it now.

The positive vibes continued on Monday with the loan signing of Matt Targett, someone I've seen quite a bit of. He's unfortunate that he's got Ryan Bertrand ahead of him at Southampton, who's barely had an injury since he's come to the club, so there's not really been a chance for Matt to have an extended run in the first team. I saw Matt when he first got into the side and he's one of the conveyor belt of good players who's come through the Southampton academy. They teach them good habits there and he'll suit us down to the ground. He's a good footballer but he needs regular game time, and I think Championship football will be really important for him. Matt knows he needed to go out to get some experience, and there's no better club for him to come to, and he should do well for us.

We saw Ryan Sessegnon play in an attacking role at the weekend, and one would assume that will be a more regular occurrence now we've signed another left-back. A lot of people have made comparisons with Gareth Bale because of the positions they've started off in, but I think he's slightly ahead of where Gareth was at that age. Ryan's got nine goals for the season already which is a great return, and I think that's a reason for why he will continue playing further forward. It will be good for his development, and it's bad news for anyone who finds themselves coming up against him. When you consider that he's spent half his time at left-back, nine goals for the season is superb.

We've got Barnsley away on Saturday, and what you can say about them is they try and play good football, and that sort of match usually suits us down to the ground. They are quite similar to us and Southampton in that they bring a lot of players through their academy. Their manager Paul Heckingbottom knows many of those boys having worked with the younger age groups before, and I think he's done a great job there on the whole.

If you don't go into your next match with confidence after beating one of the strongest squads in the Championship and winning 6-0 in your last two games, then you never will. The only thing now is to guard against complacency. Because of the contrasting form of the sides, some might be expecting us to win and win comfortably, but we know it doesn't work like that. We've still got to be at it, because the Championship can bite you if you're not.

We've won every match against Barnsley since we've been back in the same division, and I'm sure we can keep that run going on Saturday. We need our attitude to be right, and I've no doubt it will be, and if it is then we will win the game with the momentum we're currently enjoying. They've been on a bit of a hiccup of late and we need to take advantage of that.

I had a bit of a reunion luncheon with some of the old Fulham boys recently; Paul Parker, Jim Stannard, John Reeves, Gary Elkins, Terry Mancini, Kevin Lock and Dale Tempest. It seems we're all keeping very busy. Paul's been doing media work in Singapore for a while now but is keen to come back to England, and he said he's going to try and get down to the Cottage in the near future. Jim is goalkeeping coach at Dagenham & Redbridge, John has got his own private physiotherapy company, Gary is a personal trainer, Terry does golf holidays, Kevin is a court usher in Chelmsford, and Dale is one of the commercial bosses at Sky Bet. It was great to catch up with those lads, it's always good fun reminiscing and speaking fondly about our time at Fulham.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/24/the-tony-gale-column

WhiteJC

Fulham deny Boro top spot with victory

Cottagers beat second-placed Middlesbrough 2-0 to leave just one point separating the top four of Division 2

Fulham stopped Middlesbrough from going top of Division 2 with a 2-0 win that instead moves the Cottagers to within a point of first place.

Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson put Fulham in front three minutes after half-time, before Jayden Harris sealed the visitors' victory at Rockliffe Park.

Boro are behind leaders Aston Villa on goal difference. Fulham move up to fourth, one point and two places adrift of Boro, having played one match more than the top three.

See: Boro report | Fulham report
Next fixtures

Boro: 29 Jan v Aston Villa (A) PL2
Fulham: 29 Jan v West Brom (A) PL2

https://www.premierleague.com/news/598160

WhiteJC

Fulham U23s unbeaten in nine after Boro win
by Dan on January 24, 2018

Second half strikes from Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson and Jayden Harris ensured Fulham's under 23 side extended their unbeaten league run to nine matches.

Peter Grant's side came into the fixture full of confidence and almost enjoyed the perfect start in the north east when Sean Kavanagh struck a free-kick narrowly over the bar just 90 seconds in. The in-form Thorsteinsson was next to have a go at goal from the left angle of the box – a sign of how his rich vein of goalscoring form has boosted his own confidence – but his ambitious effort cleared the crossbar.

The Whites were then thankful for centre half Arron Davies, who produced one of a number of vital tackles to deny Luke Armstrong a shooting opportunity in the six-yard box and the highly-rated Dael Fry also drove a snapshot powerfully over the bar. At the other end, Harris almost ended an excellent individual goal by opening the score after half an hour but his shot deflected wide.

Isaac Pearce than hooked an effort past the far post and, after Rob Atkinson's shot was smuggled clear from a corner, Middlesbrough broke forward and a swerving shot from Liam Hegarty might have troubled Luca Ashby-Hammond but Fulham's teenage goalkeeper responded with a top drawer save.

That warning was all the Whites needed to up their game in the second half. The dangerous Thorsteinsson opened the scoring just two minutes after the break – cutting in from the right and firing into the top corner. Eight minutes later, Peter Grant's men doubled their lead in freakish circumstances. A hopeful cross from Harris looping over a surprised goalkeeper on its way in off the back post.

The visitors had further chances to extend the lead in the final half an hour with Robertson having a shot blocked, whilst they soaked the sporadic Boro pressure at the end,

MIDDLESBROUGH (4-2-3-1): James; Hegarty (Mahmvtovic 86), Brewitt, Fry, Reading; Malley, Tinkler; Brahimi (Walker 63), Wearne (Pattison 45), Coulson; Armstrong. Subs (not used): Spence, Hemming.

FULHAM (4-2-3-1): Ashby-Hammond; Spence, Kavanagh (Fossey 58), Davies, Atkinson; Harris, Francois; Pearce (Nabay 85′), Kait, Thorsteinsson; Williams (Elstone 9). Subs (not used): Andrason.

GOALS: Thorsteinsson (47), Harris (55).

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/01/fulham-u23s-unbeaten-in-nine-after-boro-win/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Norwood bid knocked back by Brighton
by Dan on January 24, 2018

Brighton and Hove Albion have rejected an attempt by Fulham to turn Oliver Norwood's season-long loan at Craven Cottage into a permanent move, according to a Sky Sports report this evening.

The Northern Ireland international has become an integral part of Slavisa Jokanovic's first-team squad since joining the Cottagers loan in July. The 26 year-old has made 28 appearances for Fulham as the Whites have suffered injuries to all three of the central midfielders who made such an impression as they reached the Championship play-offs last season. The former Manchester United trainee has ably deputised for Tom Cairney, who has seen his campaign disrupted by a troublesome knee injury so far, and has taken over the previously poisoned chalice of Fulham penalty taker, scoring three times for the spot.

Norwood, whose most recent penalty secured a precious three points at Middlesbrough eleven days ago, has scored a total of five goals from midfield and is believed to be enjoying life in London. He believes that regular football is vital to retaining his international spot under Michael O'Neill, but Brighton are unwilling to lose the midfielder who played a pivotal role in their rise to the top flight unless Fulham were willing to exceed their £8m valuation.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/01/fulhams-norwood-bid-knocked-back-by-brighton/

WhiteJC

Brighton reject Fulham's bid for Oliver Norwood

Brighton have rejected an offer from Fulham for midfielder Oliver Norwood, according to Sky sources.

Norwood has been on loan at Fulham since July 2017 and the Lillywhites want to make it permanent.

Sky Sports News understands the Northern Ireland international would also favour a permanent move to Craven Cottage.

The 26-year-old has scored five goals in 27 appearances for Fulham since his arrival.

Before his move in the summer, Norwood revealed the style of football that Fulham play would suit him.

"It suits the way I like to play," he said. "Once I knew of the interest I was desperate to get it done and I am very happy to be here."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11741/11221364/brighton-reject-fulhams-bid-for-oliver-norwood