more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (27/01/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 27, 2018, 04:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

BE RED vs Fulham

This weekend's official matchday magazine is dedicated to the late, great Patrick Cryne.

As well as a special edition front cover, we have messages from across social media paying tribute to the former Reds owner who passed away last weekend after a courageous battle with cancer.

Paul Heckingbottom and others pay their respects to Mr Cryne, whilst fans from across the football family, media personalities as well as players past and present leave their words of condolence.

Ian McMillan and Neil Richardson return with their regular columns.

We have our usual 10 pages focused on the opposition.

Reds legend, Barry Murphy discusses his magnificent service to the Reds.

All this and more in your official matchday magazine, only £3 from around Oakwell on Saturday!

To repeat our earlier statement, Barnsley Football Club will be publishing an extended, special edition, Patrick Cryne tribute issue of BE RED for the Sheffield Wednesday fixture on February 10. This will allow us time to reflect as a Club and for us to best remember one of the most influential figures in our 130-year history.

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2018/january/programme/

WhiteJC

Could West Ham United's bid for Tom Cairney be both good and bad for Newcastle United?

Newcastle United have been long term admirers of West Ham United target Tom Cairney.

According to Sky Sports, West Ham United have joined the race for Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney.

West Ham have had a £15 million bid turned down for Cairney, and they could make a repeat offer before the end of the transfer window.

West Ham have been eager to bring in a midfielder, with Newcastle United's Jonjo Shelvey the first name on their wishlist, according to the Chronicle.

West Ham's bid for Cairney suggests that have moved on from the Newcastle man now, but that could be both good and bad news for Rafael Benitez's side.

While Newcastle may be pleased that they are able to keep hold of Shelvey, Cairney is a player Benitez has wanted to bring to St. James' Park for some time.

Newcastle were linked with Cairney last summer in The Northern Echo, but West Ham may now have moved ahead of them in the race for the Scottish midfielder, and if the Fulham man does move to the London Stadium, that could be frustrating for Benitez's men.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/26/could-west-ham-uniteds-bid-for-tom-cairney-be-both-good-and-bad/

WhiteJC

Championship Preview: Can Fulham, Brentford, Bristol City and Wolverhampton Wanderers steal a march on other promotion chasers?

Just four Championship fixtures taking place on Saturday, what with a significant amount of second division teams still in the FA Cup, but all eight teams in action will be eager to steal a march on the sides who will have to play catch up.

How will these games pan out? Football Manics takes a look with a dedicated preview piece.

Barnsley vs. Fulham

Barnsley are not in the best shape at present, with just one win in their last 13 league games (at relegation-threatened Sunderland).

And spare a thought for the poor Tykes fans who attend home games - Oakwell has seen just one goal from the home side in the past six league games and no win in the past six there.

Compare that to Fulham, who have picked up 16 points from a possible 18 and scored 19 goals in their past six games, including a 6-0 thrashing of Burton Albion last time out.

Could this be a coupon-buster? It has all the right ingredients for one, that's for sure, but going for a Barnsley win would basically be anti-logic, so I'll back Fulham to win.

Score prediction: 0-2

Brentford vs. Norwich City

The in-form Bees - if you ignore the heavy defeat to Wolves anyway - sit just three points from the playoffs and could leapfrog Sheffield United in sixth should they claim a hefty enough win against Norwich City.

Since losing their first home league game of the season, Brentford have remained unbeaten in 13 games at Griffin Park - more than twice as many as the next longest streak of six held by Aston Villa, Fulham and Millwall.

However, the Canaries have kept clean sheets in each of their last three league away games - their longest run since October 2010 - and have bolstered their ranks this week with the signings of Onel Hernandez and Dennis Srbeny.

It should be a fairly tight game but with Brentford in such good form, especially at Griffin Park, I fancy them to nick a win.

Score prediction: 1-0

Bristol City vs. Queens Park Rangers

Bristol City's time in the spotlight is now but a memory and the team needs to quickly put the superb EFL Cup run behind it and focus on the grind of the league, which has arguably been neglected in recent weeks.

Indeed, the Robins are without a win in their last four league games - losing three of them - after winning five of their previous six, which needs to be addressed immediately should they want to retain any hopes of staying in the playoffs.

In addition, City have failed to score in each of the last three league outings, after scoring in eight successive games - clearly the cup has proven a massive distraction for them.

QPR have shown signs of recovery with two wins in a row before losing to Boro last time out, but with Lee Johnson's side now able to fully concentrate on the league, I fancy them to get one over on Ian Holloway's visiting side.

Score prediction: 2-1

Ipswich Town vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers

Ipswich's recent form has been poor to say the least, although the rot was stopped with a win over Leeds United (followed up by a comeback 1-1 draw at struggling Bolton Wanderers).

Things are better at home though - since losing two successive league games at Portman Road at the end of October, Ipswich have lost just one of their previous seven, keeping clean sheets in three of their last four.

Wolves, meanwhile, are wounded animals - they have failed to score in their last two Championship outings (a draw and a defeat) and their previously invincible aura has now faded.

However, they have spent the week at a warm weather training camp in Spain following their 2-0 home defeat by Nottingham Forest on January 20 and have no fresh injury concerns, with Ruben Vinaigre back from his three-match ban.

With Wolves not having to worry about the FA Cup and fully rejuvenated from both a physical and mental perspective, I fancy them to put in a stellar performance and earn a comprehensive win over the Blues.

Score prediction: 1-4

https://footballmanics.com/home/features/championship-preview-can-fulham-brentford-bristol-city-and-wolverhampton-wanderers-steal-a-march-on-other-promotion-chasers-r3026/

WhiteJC

Barnsley v Fulham: Reds plan fitting display to make Patrick Cryne proud

ADAM HAMMILL now has one more special Wembley memory which he will always treasure.

Few present will forget how the Barnsley winger's golden touch lit up the feted venue twice in the space of 56 intoxicating Spring days in 2016 as the Reds claimed a magnificent Johnstone's Paint Trophy and play-off final double.

Memories of Hammill's stunning dual strikes will never fade, as the picture in his mind of an elated and emotionally-wrought Patrick Cryne in the Wembley dressing room after the promotion clincher against Millwall will not either. That moment, which will now still stay timeless for Hammill, will most likely come to the fore for him today when Oakwell pays its respects to the revered former Reds owner, who sadly passed away at the start of this week.

The Barnsley congregation will stand as one to remember Cryne. One of their own, a compassionate man whose duty of care to his club he adored was boundless. That was never better exemplified by the unstinting work he put in, despite being gravely ill late last year, to ensure that this guardianship of his club should pass on to the right people to serve as his lasting legacy.

On his own abiding memory of Cryne, Hammill said: "I remember seeing Patrick in the (Wembley) dressing room and the lads were dancing and celebrating away. He had his hands over his face in complete shock and you could see just how much emotion was going through him and how much pride he had inside him. "He was on cloud nine and you cannot take away what he has done for the football club. That was his dream (promotion at Wembley) and he achieved it and it was a truly magnificent moment for him. To see him and his family after it; it was wonderful.

On his own abiding memory of Cryne, Hammill said: "I remember seeing Patrick in the (Wembley) dressing room and the lads were dancing and celebrating away. He had his hands over his face in complete shock and you could see just how much emotion was going through him and how much pride he had inside him. "He was on cloud nine and you cannot take away what he has done for the football club. That was his dream (promotion at Wembley) and he achieved it and it was a truly magnificent moment for him. To see him and his family after it; it was wonderful. "He was beaming with pride and I think he was more elated than the players, if I am being honest. The club was so close to his heart." A quiet, unassuming man, Cryne struck up a strong relationship with Hammill during his two spells at Oakwell and provided wise counsel, too.

Having turned 30 on Thursday, the Liverpudlian is wearing his status as a senior professional increasingly well, but it has not always been that way, as he would be the first to admit. At times, he has been headstrong, but a sage word or two from Cryne often provided food for thought. Never moreso after Hammill was involved in an altercation with head coach Paul Heckingbottom after being substituted in a home game with Newcastle in October, 2016.

Hammil remains indebted for Cryne's support, with the faith shown when he and Lee Johnson handed him a lifeline in the game back at his second home of Oakwell in the autumn of 2015 – when his career was on the rocks and many clubs would not have touched him with a bargepole – being something he will always be wholly grateful for. Hammill added: "He brought me back as a player along with Lee Johnson and gave me the opportunity to play football again and put a smile back on my face. I am sure I returned the favour.

"There is a time when I spoke to him on a regular basis and he was pretty close to me. "He was the first one when I was not behaving too well against Newcastle to tell me and I had to respect that. He told me to speak to the gaffer and apologise, which is what I did do. He was like a father figure in a way and brilliant. "He wanted nothing but the best for the club and me as a person. That is all I could ask of him.

"He gave me the platform to perform again. He did not question anything that previously went on. He knew me as a character, individual and what type of person I was. He was honest in that sense and gave me the platform to perform again and I will be truly grateful for that. "For me, he was a big part of my career here and in my spells here, he was always genuine towards me when he spoke to me and I got on great with him." Given his close bond with Cryne, news of his death following a battle against cancer has understandably affected Hammill more than most in the Reds dressing room. Many will see it as somewhat apt that the fixture fates have decreed that Cryne's beloved Barnsley will play the first match after his sad passing at the footballing cathedral where he felt at home in Oakwell. Inspiration on an emotionally-wrought afternoon will be in plentiful supply as the Reds intend to honour the memory of Cryne with a fitting display. Those in red certainly did that in September with a dramatic EFL Cup success over Derby County, with a poignant letter to supporters in the match-day programme from Cryne touching a chord not just with fans ahead of the game, but players, too.

"He gave me the platform to perform again. He did not question anything that previously went on. He knew me as a character, individual and what type of person I was. He was honest in that sense and gave me the platform to perform again and I will be truly grateful for that. "For me, he was a big part of my career here and in my spells here, he was always genuine towards me when he spoke to me and I got on great with him." Given his close bond with Cryne, news of his death following a battle against cancer has understandably affected Hammill more than most in the Reds dressing room. Many will see it as somewhat apt that the fixture fates have decreed that Cryne's beloved Barnsley will play the first match after his sad passing at the footballing cathedral where he felt at home in Oakwell. Inspiration on an emotionally-wrought afternoon will be in plentiful supply as the Reds intend to honour the memory of Cryne with a fitting display. Those in red certainly did that in September with a dramatic EFL Cup success over Derby County, with a poignant letter to supporters in the match-day programme from Cryne touching a chord not just with fans ahead of the game, but players, too. On doing Cryne proud this afternoon, Hammill acknowledged: "We are going into Saturday and we have got to put on a performance to match his legacy. "For me, he was a fantastic servant. He did wonderful things, not only for myself, but the football club. "Saturday is about showing a respect and turning out in numbers to give Patrick the send-off he deserves. He has been truly magnificent for the football club.

"If you remember the Derby game, the lads were galvanised by the media output and we ended up getting the victory that day. "If we can feed off that atmosphere and go out with the attitude that we are going to give him a great send-off, it will stand us in good stead. "I pass on my condolences to his family and everyone connected with Patrick. I will go on record and say he is a truly great individual person. "He will long live in my memory."

Read more at: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fc/barnsley-v-fulham-reds-plan-fitting-display-to-make-patrick-cryne-proud-1-8983770

WhiteJC

West Ham fans confident they are set to sign Fulham playmaker Tom Cairney

According to Sky Sports, West Ham United target Tom Cairney wants to leave Fulham to join them although his club are refusing to sell, but Irons fans are confident that they will sign the 27-year-old.

Sky Sports report that the east London outfit are ready to pay £15m to bring the Scotland international to the London Stadium, with manager David Moyes still looking to strengthen his midfield options.

While the playmaker has struggled with injury during the current campaign, he showed how good he can be with 12 goals and 11 assists in 45 Championship appearances for the Cottagers last season, and the Hammers faithful believe his recent social media activity suggests a move to them could be on the cards.

West Ham supporters have had their say on the latest on Cairney via Twitter, and while one simply said "welcome to West Ham", another said 'he's surely on his way'.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/west-ham/west-ham-fans-confident-they-are-set-to-sign-fulham-playmaker-tom-cairney

WhiteJC

Cairney wants West Ham move but Fulham standing firm

Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney wants to complete a move to West Ham this month, but the Championship side are refusing to sell.

Sky Sports reports that the Fulham captain, who is valued at around £15 million, wants to join to David Moyes' side this month after the Hammers expressed an interest in the player.

Cairney has been heavily linked with a move away from Fulham for some time after impressing in the Championship.

Newcastle have failed with bids to sign the player in the past following their promotion back to the Premier League.

The Championship side are adamant that the player will remain at the club though, as they push for promotion to the Premier League.

Slavisa Jokanovic's men currently sit seventh in the Championship, one point outside of the play-off positions.

http://readwestham.com/2018/01/27/cairney-wants-west-ham-move-fulham-standing-firm/

WhiteJC

Fulham heading for collision with star man over transfer

Fulham could face a battle to keep key player Tom Cairney with the midfielder keen on joining West Ham United.

The Premier League outfit are ready to pay around £15m for the Scotland international and Sky Sports are reporting that Cairney wants to make the move to the London Stadium.

However, the same report states that Fulham have no desire to sell such an important player at this stage of the season.

The Cottagers are the form team in the Championship over the past ten games and a victory at Barnsley today would move them into the top six.

Whilst Cairney has suffered with injuries this season and therefore hasn't been as influential as he was last year, Slavisa Jokanovic knows how good he can be for his team.

West Brom are another side who have expressed an interest in the player, and Fulham had to fight very hard to prevent Cairney from joining Newcastle United in the summer.

Following that transfer tussle, the 27-year old signed a new contract with the Championship side that tied him down to Fulham until 2021.

The Verdict

If we're honest, Fulham probably expected this to happen at some point given how good Cairney has been at this level over the years, however it's crucial that they don't sell.

The Whites have a genuine chance of promotion and Cairney will be integral to that in the run-in. Those at the club need to do all they can to convince the player not to push for a move and maybe agree to reassess in the summer if they don't go up.

Given that he signed a new contract earlier in the season, Fulham have a strong hand but they will want to ensure Cairney remains focused on the task ahead.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-heading-for-collision-with-star-man-over-transfer/