https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (05/02/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 05, 2018, 07:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Targett: Fulham's 'patience' was rewarded
by Dan on February 4, 2018

Matt Targett was delighted to secure a win over Nottingham Forest on his home debut – and the left back felt that Fulham's 'patience' was rewarded by the two second half strikes that proved crucial at Craven Cottage yesterday afternoon.

The Southampton loanee was handed a first start for the Whites in place of Denis Odoi after making a real impact as a substitute at Barnsley last weekend and turned in another encouraging performance full of running as Slavisa Jokanovic's side recorded their fifth Championship win in a row. Targett told FulhamFCTV he was very pleased that the Whites stuck to their footballing priniciples even though Forest held out for more than an hour:

I'm delighted to make my home debut but the main thing was we got the three points. They've come here with a game plan, they've made it difficult for us but we had to be patient, keep moving the ball side to side, sometimes try and force it, but in the second half we got the goal and they had to come out a bit more. That suited us down to the ground.

We get the first goal and then, as you saw, they had to open up a bit and be more attacking, whereas in the first half they just camped in and tried to hit us on the counter attack. The first goal was massive.

The left back has already struck up a promising understanding with Ryan Sessegnon down the left flank and Targett revealed that he was learning as much from Fulhan's teenage sensation as he Sesegenon could be from him.

For me, I'm just helping him and also I'm learning off him. I wouldn't say our partnership is at the best at the moment, but each game I'm learning more about him and the longer we play together, the better we'll be together.

When the team is playing with so much confidence, they're on a great run, it's easy to come in. Obviously you still have to play your part, but it makes it much easier. You're learning about different players, just building relationships – I like to say it's like your first day at school again. The lads have welcomed me with two arms and they've been so supportive. I thank them for that.

Targett also believes that Fulham's spring schedule against a number of their fellow promotion contenders could go a long way to deciding how high the Whites can climb in the Championship table.

It's massive. If you look at the fixtures we've got, we play the top teams. In a way, that could be positive. They will be more attacking and that suits us because we like to get the ball down and play through the thirds. Hopefully, we can get some good results but, like you say, it will be make or break.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/02/targett-fulhams-patience-was-rewarded/

WhiteJC

Fulham's ability to grind down teams is becoming the standout characteristic of their Play-off march

Fulham have scored a goal in the 88th plus minute in their last four games - and that's testament to the dominant style of play Slavisa Jokanovic has the side play

Another week, another Fulham win.

It's becoming the norm for Slavisa Jokanovic's side now, yesterday's 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest made it five wins on the bounce in the league, moving the Cottagers up to fifth in the Championship table.

But through all the possession stats, the clean sheets and the sheer amount of goals scored by the side, the standout characteristic is the side's ability to grind down teams.

Fulham are relentless, it's a trait of Jokanovic's that we've seen since he came to the Cottage.

He likes his teams to dominate play, get on the ball and play football, and while that all looks pretty in the possession stats, it's what it physically does to the opposition that has been key to Fulham's rise from nothing to promotion candidates in the space of three months.

Fulham have scored a goal in 88th minute or later in their last FOUR games now - Oliver Norwood's last minute penalty against Middlesbrough, Aboubakar Kamara's 88th minute goal against Burton, Ryan Sessegnon and Kevin McDonald in the 90th plus minute against Barnsley and now Stefan Johansen in the 90th against Forest.

It's not luck, nor is it just an anomaly.

The way that Jokanovic has Fulham playing, added to their fitness levels, means that teams are completely worn down by the relentless dominance the side have during the game and just can't continue to match the side as the game wears on.

Forest on Saturday were well in the game for the first 70 minutes and were resolute and difficult to break down, but once the 70 were up the benefits of Fulham's style of play really showed through.

It's key to the way Jokanovic plays, and it's reaping rewards.

Teams that face Fulham know what kind of a game they're in for, and that immediately presents a psychological hurdle the opposing side need to overcome before they even step out onto the pitch.

Add to that the amount of running they'll have to do, and the fact they won't see much of the ball, and facing Fulham becomes just that little bit worse.

(Images: Paul Burgman)

There's no doubting that this kind of style will continue as the season progresses, we saw it last season that Fulham took time to get to full fitness, but once they did, there was no stopping them when they were in the mood.

And that brings me to the poor start the side suffered and that horrid October month.

For whatever reason, it seems like the Cottagers are only able to get into their rhythm and full fitness midway through the season.

Whether that's because the style of play is so demanding it takes that long for the player's bodies to get up to speed, or because pre-season wasn't up to standards, is up for debate, but it's the second season in a row that this has played out.

If Fulham do get promoted to the Premier League this season, that can't happen in the next campaign, because the side will find themselves in the relegation zone and well adrift of safety by this point.

It's something to look at over the summer for sure, but when the side are clicking, fitness levels are high and they're playing like they are at the moment, watching Fulham is a sheer joy.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-ability-grind-down-teams-14243747

WhiteJC

How did Fulham's new signings get on in their Nottingham Forest win?

Aleksandar Mitrovic made his debut while Matt Targett made his home bow in the 2-0 win - here's how they got on

Fulham fans got to see new signing Aleksandar Mitrovic in action for the first time during the 2-0 victory over Nottingham Forest after his Deadline Day move from Newcastle, while Matt Targett also made his home debut.

It was impressive stuff from the two as Fulham rose to fifth in the table thanks to goals from Lucas Piazon and Stefan Johansen - extending the side's winning run to five games.

Targett made his debut in last week's 3-1 win over Barnsley, but impressed on his Craven Cottage debut as he started for the first time in a white shirt, while Mitrovic's introduction in the 55th minute showed the side have a physical forward who has the tenacity to get into the positions his team mates need him in.

Here's what we made of the two yesterday:

Matt Targett

I was extremely impressed with the Southampton loanee - he oozed Premier League quality down the left and showed why he was once voted the Saints' young player of the year.

He linked well with Ryan Sessegnon and bombarded the left flank all game long - something the side haven't had this season.

His delivery into the box, both on the run and first time, will be a lethal outlet for the side in the months to come and you would expect the forwards to thrive off that sort of delivery.

Defensively he looked strong too and wasn't afraid of a challenge.

Overall it was a solid home debut for the 22-year-old and well received, finding himself a place in the WhoScored? Team of the Week.

(Image: Paul Burgman)

Aleksandar Mitrovic

He replaced Rui Fonte in the 55th minute and it's safe to say he wasted no time in getting stuck into the game.

For the first ten minutes of his debut, he caused the Forest defence problem after problem with his strength and tenacity to lay the ball off and then get into the box to get onto the end of the incoming cross.

He had a header cleared off the line from a corner - a tool that Fulham haven't really used all season long - and was just a general nuisance for the Forest defenders.

You could also see he's not afraid to speak his mind, spending a good couple of minutes telling one of the Forest centre backs exactly what he thought of him after a Fulham attack broke down.

You could tell he was lacking match fitness, but give him a month to get up to speed and Fulham have a real player on their hands.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-fulhams-new-signings-nottingham-14243891

WhiteJC

Bristol City February match predictions: Sunderland, Leeds, Fulham and Cardiff

City reporter Gregor MacGregor looks at what might happen over the next weeks

Whether distracted or downright knackered, Bristol City have been in dire form of late.

It's now just one win in their last nine games in all competitions.

With the trip to the Macron Stadium out of the way we look at City's next forthcoming fixtures and examine what sort of points return might be forthcoming.

Spoiler: fixture-wise, it starts well but gets a lot tougher in the next weeks.

Sunderland, Sat Feb 10

The Robins have a great chance to bounce back from that dispiriting loss to Bolton next weekend with a victory over second from bottom Sunderland.

The Black Cats have lost four of their last five games and we can't see anything but a home win here.

Anything less, doesn't bear comprehension and would likely signal an end to any genuine hopes of promotion.

Prediction: 2-0

Leeds, Sun Feb 18

Thomas Christiansen's side put in a fine display at Ashton Gate to thump the home side 0-3 in a fiery game where Gaetano Berardi was sent off. So we remain wary of the trip to Elland Road.

However, it could be a good time to play the Whites, as they've not won in six Championship games and have slipped away from the promotion play-off spots.

We're optimistic that City can grab a draw in Yorkshire and start to put an unbeaten run together.

Prediction: 1-1

Fulham, Weds Feb 21

A huge game at Ashton Gate as the Cottagers come to BS3.

Given how well Johnson's side played at Craven Cottage we can see a vital win for the Robins here, and a much needed boost to the team's promotion hopes.

Reid, Smith, Flint and co will all need to be on top form for City to get the three points here, though by this point the squad could be swelled with the return of Callum O'Dowda, Eros Pisano and Gary O'Neil from injury.

Prediction: 2-1

Cardiff, Sun Feb 25

Another biggie. The Bluebirds will be hoping to avenge their narrow loss at Ashton Gate in November, and no doubt Neil Warnock will have his side fired up for this.

But the Robins have done well at all the big boys this season – including creditable draws at Wolves and Derby – except against Aston Villa.

Another point on the road would be a good result for Johnson and his squad.

Prediction: 0-0

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-february-match-predictions-1164098

WhiteJC

Fulham's Matt Targett included in WhoScored? Team of the Week for performance in Nottingham Forest win

The 21-year-old made his home debut in the 2-0 victory and found a place in the WhoScored? Team of the Week

Fulham's Matt Targett has been included in the WhoScored? Championship Team of the Week after his fine performance in the 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest.

The 21-year-old was making his home debut, having made his Fulham bow in the 3-1 victory over Barnsley the week before, and he put in a fine showing for the Craven Cottage faithful as the majority got to see the left back in the flesh for the first time.

Rated at 7.7 by the WhoScored? team, Targett is the only Fulham man included in the Team of the Week, with Stefan Johansen missing out by just 0.5 to Junior Hoilett and Sammy Ameobi.

Delving a little deeper into Targett's game, he had 6.2% of the overall possession for Fulham and had a 75% pass success rate, making six crosses, second only to Ryan Fredericks on the right.

He also won five aerial battles - joint second in the game alongside Tim Ream and Joe Worrall (and just two behind Tomas Kalas) while he made two successful tackles, ending the game with a tackle success rating of 67%.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/fulhams-matt-targett-included-whoscored-14244181

WhiteJC

Hayles backs Fulham's promotion push

Barry Hayles believes Slavisa Jokanovic's Fulham can mount a serious push for promotion back to the Premier League – and succeed in emulating the 2000/01 side of which he was such a pivotal part.

The former Fulham striker, still plying his trade as player-coach at Windsor in the Hellenic League, feels the Whites have really hit their stride since the turn of the year and backs his old club to be amongst the contenders in the Championship's top six come May. Hayles told today's Football League Paper:

There is always a team that hits form at the right time and they've got a great chance, definitely. I remember watching them play Derby at home in November and they dominated the first half and should have been two or three goals up. Derby then equalised from their first attack. But if Fulham had that clinical cutting edge they would have been out of sight.

Hayles believes the side that stormed to the First Division title under Jean Tigana, with Louis Saha, Luis Boa Morte and himself scoring 63 league goals between them, posed more of a threat in the final third but feels that the loan signing of Aleksandr Mitrovic on deadline day could be crucial.

I felt like we had more of an edge up and top and, if Fulham can get someone in the final third scoring consistently, then they will push on from there. I think he [Mitrovic] is a great signing. He will suit Fulham's game because he can hold the ball up and will be a good focal point for their attacks.

Hayles, who scored 57 goals in six seasons at Craven Cottage, admitted he has been surprised at how he has taken to coaching as playing career draws to a close. The likeable forward, who scored Fulham's first Premier League goal at Craven Cottage in a 2-0 win over Sunderland back in August 2001, is currently studying for his UEFA B license.

I didn't think I would want to get into coaching, which is why I'm 45 and not fully qualified yet. But now I've grasped it with both hands and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

He does feel passionately, that despite new FA and EFL initiatives to create more opportunities for BAME coaches in the modern game, more needs to be done to ensure that the managers at the highest level reflect the game's diversity.

I know a lot of players I've played with who have got their full badges and apply for jobs but get bypassed. I speak to them and they say, 'Well, I've got all the credentials, why can I be given the chance?' But that doesn't put me off. I thoroughly enjoy it and the different levels, so I will push on.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/02/hayles-backs-fulhams-promotion-push/

WhiteJC

'Balon D'or one day' – Fulham fans laud yet another impressive showing from star man

Fulham continued their excellent run of form yesterday as they ran out comfortable winners at Craven Cottage against Nottingham Forest.

The Cottagers were good value for the win and goals from Lucas Piazon and Stefan Johansen were enough to give them all three points and see them climb to fifth place in the table, further cementing their push for a playoff spot.

Despite not getting on the scoresheet yesterday, one of the key men this season has been winger Ryan Sessegnon, who has shot to prominence and is being courted by a whole host of top clubs around Europe.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/balon-dor-one-day-fulham-fans-laud-yet-another-impressive-showing-from-star-man/

WhiteJC

Former Fulham man Brede Hangeland reveals he thinks it was his mistake that cost the side the Europa League

The former Fulham man was speaking to the Fulhamish podcast about that final in Hamburg, and reveal he feels it was his mistake that cost them

Brede Hangeland has revealed that he still thinks it was his mistake that cost Fulham the Europa League in 2010.

Roy Hodgson's side lost 2-1 to Atletico Madrid in the final in Hamburg when Diego Forlan put away the winner with just four minutes left in the tie after Simon Davies had equalised for the Whites after the Uruguayan had put the Spanish side in front.

It was an amazing run to the final, and one that will forever live in the memory of all those that were there to see it, but the former Fulham centre back has revealed he still feels he should've done better with Forlan's goal.

Speaking to the Fulhamish Podcast, he said: "I've watched the goal that I should've stopped before the potential penalties, I'm not one to look back and blame myself but I really should've done better there.

"When I think about it it's frustrating, because I usually ran to the first post quicker or before the striker even thought about it but for some reason, maybe it was fatigue or whatever, but I let him get half a yard and that has cost us really.

"I don't watch the games again, I think definitely when you play you have to look to the next one, so we'll see.

Against Sergio: Brede Hangeland tackles Sergio Aguero (Image: LLUIS GENE/AFP/Getty)

"I'm still too busy to watch the games back, maybe when I'm stuck in my chair in 40/50 years time it will be time to watch it all back.

"You have to move on, you have to remember this was the last thing to happen in a long season and then you shoot off to every different corner of the world and then Roy left so when we came back we had a new manager, there was some stages in the squad so you just move on.

"It's one of those things, in my mind it was a fantastic run and we should've won it, that's the feeling I always have when I think about it because had we gone to penalties I would've backed us, even though they had a good keeper I think we had a fantastic keeper in Mark Schwarzer on penalties and we had good penalty takers.

"It makes no sense to think back and think what if but we came really close and gave a great account of ourselves and had I only started running a little bit before it might have been a different story."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-fulham-man-brede-hangeland-14244780

WhiteJC

Mitrovic gets Fulham motoring

Transfer deadline day usually brings a wealth of emotions with it and, as Fulham fans, we've got used to debating the rights and wrongs of underwhelming windows on social media in the days afterwards. The doom and gloom had begun in the hours before Wednesday night's deadline when it was assumed that Fulham would not be participating in the frenetic finale to the January window – something which was upended when the Whites moved swiftly to bring in Aleksandr Mitrovic on loan after a proposed move to Anderlecht collapsed during the afternoon.

The euphoria that greeted the Serbian's switch to south west London was understandable given how under-equipped Fulham's forward line appeared for the tasking of sustaining a promotion push before Christmas. Mitrovic's calibre isn't in doubt. The forward's six goals were a key ingredient as Serbia qualified for their first World Cup in eight years – and he finished as one of the continent's leading marksmen. That Mitrovic was considered surplus to requirements at St. James' Park is baffling when Newcastle are far from firing on all cyclinders at the moment is entirely down to a sense of distrust on the part of Rafa Benitez.

Mitrovic was one of Partizan Belgrade's brightest youth prospects when Slavisa Jokanovic was leading his old club to successive domestic doubles and the pair's history played a key part in ensuring that the beanpole forward eventually made his way to Craven Cottage. Mitrovic has featured on Jokanovic's wishlist since before Chris Martin made an ill-fated move last season and, in both stature and energy, fits the mould of the powerful, hold-up forward that the Fulham head coach has been eyeing to make his fluid 4-3-3 formation function.

Debuts sometimes prove to be misleading as an indication of how a player's career shapes up, but there was plenty to appreciate about Mitrovic's cameo off the bench against Nottingham Forest yesterday afternoon. He immediately enlivened Fulham in the final third, giving the visitors' centre halves a thorough working over from the outside, and married several intelligent runs with a physical presence that Rui Fonte lacks. He stands at 6'2" – with plenty of power and pace that makes him ideally suited to the rough and tumble of the Championship – and quickly attracted attention in the box that created space for Fulham's other attacking outlets.

Mitrovic was eager to get on the ball early, spreading the play to the flanks to make the most of Fulham's strengths out wide in the form of Lucas Piazon, Ryan Sessegnon and Ryan Sessegnon, and got on the ball regularly in the final third – having twelve touches in and around the Forest penalty area. He had a couple of efforts on goal, with one majestic leap at a corner leading to a header being diverted away inside the six-yard box with Costil Pantilmon seemingly beaten, and won everything that was floated up to him in the air, which was no mean feat up against Michael Mancienne and Joe Worrall. It was a frenetic and intense debut – that played a part in changing the course of what had been an evenly-matched contest up until his introduction.

Jokanovic, like Jean Tigana, has been clear that he needed a number of strikers in order to challenge for the Championship. While there has been tangible evidence that both Aboubakar Kamara and Fonte are acclimatising to life in the English game, Mitrovic has established second tier credentials having helped the Magpies to the Championship title last term – and, as he said himself, possesses the characteristics of an old-fashioned English centre forward despite hailing from the bank of the Danube. As Barry Hayles suggested in the pages of the Football League Paper today, Mitrovic and Fulham could be a season-defining signing.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/02/mitrovic-gets-fulham-motoring/

WhiteJC

2 players who'd be crucial in Fulham securing a playoff spot in the Championship

2 Crucial Players Who Can Help Fulham Secure A Playoff Place

A slow start to the season has yet again perhaps cost Fulham the chance of some major glory.

Last year a terrific late-season rally earned the Cottagers a place in the Championship play-offs, the side ultimately lost to Reading. Looking at the football they were playing they were regarded, in the final few months of the season, as the best in the division.

Similarly now, even including the Wolves side, you could look at this Fulham outfit in its current shape and say there's probably no one better in the division.

Now that Matt Targett has been signed, Slavisa Jokanovic can throw Ryan Sessegnon further forward where he belongs on a regular basis and is if the improvement at left-back wasn't enough, they signed Cyrus Christie for the right-back role as well.

Tom Cairney is an obvious name to throw at this, naturally, he is one of Fulham's very best and their captain and so if he plays well his team invariably play well, but on this occasion, I feel these two players hold the key now for the London side:

Aleksandar Mitrovic

The loan arrival from Newcastle is at the club to attempt to solve their striking problems and if he is on his game he will batter and bully central defenders into submission between now and the end of the season.

Mitro is capable of grabbing the goals needed to ensure Fulham keep their top six place and it's in this position the club have had many problems.

They are already a top side without a good striker, given that they haven't had one for ages, so should Mitro bring his A-game to Craven Cottage then we should see a huge improvement in the team.

Ryan Sessegnon

Forget that he was played as a full-back for 19 games, Sessegnon's 9 Championship starts in forward areas have yielded 9 goals and 2 assists.

More of that, allied with being able to link-up with new man Mitrovic, means Fulham are about the most potent side in this division and I am certain nobody will want to be playing them now.

This is a talented squad, but the fact is that Sessegnon is the Fulham player we all know will be a Premier League and England regular in the years to come, so his talent and impact are obvious. Fingers crossed then for an injury-free campaign for the young man between now and May.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/02/05/2-players-whod-be-crucial-in-fulham-securing-a-playoff-spot-in-the-championship/

WhiteJC

Matt Targett admits that he and the other Fulham loanees find themselves in an interesting position at the club

Only five loanees can make the matchday squad and Fulham currently have six on their books - meaning one will miss out each week

Matt Targett has admitted he and the Fulham loanees find themselves in an interesting position at the club, but can only keep playing well to make sure he has a place in the side

The club have six loanees on their books, but regulations state that only five of those can be included in the matchday squad, meaning one will miss out.

And it's by no means an easy decision, with Tomas Kalas, Lucas Piazon, Oliver Norwood, Sheyi Ojo, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Targett all seemingly to be key players in the Fulham side.

And the 21-year-old has said it will be interesting to see how Slavisa Jokanovic deals with the conundrum.

He said: "This will be the first time I've experienced that, it'll be interesting to see what the gaffer does but at the moment all I can do is keep playing well on the pitch.

"If you look at the squad now, we've brought in two deadline day signings, the squad is in a healthy position and there's competition everywhere.

"That will only help Fulham in the loan run."

The Southampton man joined the club midway through the January transfer window, signing on loan until the end of the season and has slotted right in at left back for the side.

One thing that is clear with this Fulham side is the close bond the team share, and Targett has said he is thankful to his team mates for welcoming him to the club with their arms open.

He added: "It takes time at the start, learning about different players, building relationships but the boys have welcomed me in with open arms.

"They've been so supportive and I can't thank them enough for that."

One of those team mates is Ryan Sessegnon, Fulham's 17-year-old wonderkid, who started the 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest in front of Targett.

The pair seem to connect almost instantly and were a constant threat down the left, and Targett is hopeful they can continue building their partnership, but like all of us, admits the talent Sessegnon possess is quite frightening.

"He's an incredible talent, he's only 17, it's quite scary to be honest, but he will only get better and hopefully we can carry on building on that partnership," Targett said.

"With the positions you take up on the pitch, he's clever and got inside the full back and then run so for me it's my job to deliver the ball to him.

"If he carries on making those runs I'll do my best to try and find him."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/matt-targett-admits-fulham-loanees-14244477

WhiteJC

Targett feels competition for places can help Fulham

Matt Targett isn't worried by the fact that one of Fulham's loan rangers will have to miss out on the matchday squad each week – and the left back believes the competition for places can help fire the Whites into the Premier League.

The former England under-21 defender, who was one of three January additions to Slavisa Jokanovic's squad before the transfer window shut last week, enjoyed an excellent home debut in Saturday's 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest after being handed a first start having come off the bench to great effect at Barnsley last week. Targett joins Tomas Kalas, Lucas Piazon, Oliver Norwood, Sheyi Ojo and Aleksandar Mitrovic as loan options in the newly strengthened squad but Slavisa Jokanovic can only include five loan players in his eighteen for each Championship fixture.

The Southampton loanee isn't fazed by that problem – and told GetWestLondon's Ryan O'Donovan after the final whistle on Saturday that he feels the additional depth to Fulham's squad could be a real asset as the promotion race heats up.

This will be the first time I've experienced that, it'll be interesting to see what the gaffer does but at the moment all I can do is keep playing well on the pitch. If you look at the squad now, we've brought in two deadline day signings, the squad is in a healthy position and there's competition everywhere.

Targett has adjusted quickly to life at Craven Cottage – something which he thanks his new team-mates for.

It takes time at the start, learning about different players, building relationships but the boys have welcomed me in with open arms. They've been so supportive and I can't thank them enough for that.

He is already relishing the prospect of teaming up with Ryan Sessegnon down the Fulham left flank for the remainder of the season and the pair have already struck up a real understanding based on the evidence of Targett's first two outings.

He's an incredible talent, he's only 17, it's quite scary to be honest, but he will only get better and hopefully we can carry on building on that partnership. With the positions you take up on the pitch, he's clever and got inside the full back and then run so for me it's my job to deliver the ball to him. If he carries on making those runs I'll do my best to try and find him.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/02/targett-feels-competition-for-places-can-help-fulham/

WhiteJC

Ream eyes second spot
by Dan on February 5, 2018

Tim Ream insists automatic promotion isn't out of reach after Fulham's fifth straight league win saw them climb into fifth place in the Championship.

The American defender helped the Whites their second clean sheet in a row at Craven Cottage as Slavisa Jokanovic's side saw off Nottingham Forest in south west London on Saturday and revealed after the final whistle that, far from thinking about just consolidating their position in the play-off places, the Fulham squad hadn't given up on catching Derby County, who still they still have to visit next month, in second place.

Ream told the Times:

I don't think anyone is looking too far ahead. We're so focused on the here and now, this run, and staying in the play-offs, trying to push for that second spot.

The 30 year-old centre back, who has missed just one of Fulham's league fixtures this term, also commended Fulham's business during the January transfer window, which saw the club hold onto the coveted pair of Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon, despite significant Premier League interest in their services.

There was no way any of those players were going anywhere. There's always media speculation but we knew within our changing room that no one was going. We're obviously pleased that the team has stayed together and we've brought in three good players to help us push on. We have a lot of good players and teams are going to be sniffing around but our board and Tony Khan don't need to sell at this point in time and they know we have something good going on right now. There's no point in disrupting that and they've done a great job in telling other teams that.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/02/ream-eyes-second-spot/