watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Rui Fonte

Started by jojo1990, February 11, 2018, 07:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facts Not Fiction

I think each striker we have needs a different option to the side of him. Sess will most likely play every game on the LW now, so the option is on the right.

Fonte and Piazon work hand in hand in terms of technical ability. Tight, intricate play, which is very difficult to stop when up against weaker defenders.

Mitrovic and one of Kebano/Ayite, players who drift centrally very often, who would pick up his knockdown headers, and add some pace around his titan frame. Fredericks would provide the overlapping crosses into the box.

Kamara is a strange one. For someone with the pace and strength he has, he is only 5'9. How do you compliment his style? Ojo for his pace and dribbling ability? Maybe Kamara is the player we bring on with another striker, and push him out wide? He clearly has potential, its just how do we get the most out of him.

filham

Fonte has  played in 24 Championship matches , surely by now he has settled and it is wishful thinking to imagine we are going to see him improve over the remaining 15 games of the season. He has scored 3 goals and really does not look like  a £9m striker.

Early days for Mitrovic but time is not on his side, I think we had best put our hopes with Kamara for the rest of the season.

Slaphead in Qatar

If he would have scored that one on one just after our goal it would have 3 points in the bag.

Kamara showed much more than Rui yesterday.

Matt10

I just think it's funny the argument is always "He's not fit for this league."...

Guess what? Our system is not even OF THIS LEAGUE. We dominate possession, our midfielders shoot more than our forwards, our center backs are built like midfielders, who can dribble from defensive third to defensive third.

Literally, no other team plays like Fulham.

So it should not be a surprise that we have players that don't play like your common Championship players.

Let that sink in.

filham

Quote from: Matt10 on February 11, 2018, 03:24:49 PM
I just think it's funny the argument is always "He's not fit for this league."...

Guess what? Our system is not even OF THIS LEAGUE. We dominate possession, our midfielders shoot more than our forwards, our center backs are built like midfielders, who can dribble from defensive third to defensive third.

So it should not be a surprise that we have players that don't play like your common Championship players.

Let that sink in.
The thread is about our £9m striker, we needed a second goal yesterday, this guy had the chance to score  and he missed. Whatever his style and our stile he does need to hit the back of the net when he gets the chance.

Milo

Quote from: bobbo on February 11, 2018, 09:30:10 AM
Fonte has been hammered on here on more than this occasion, a little unfairly he works extremely hard chases everything he can,but I have to say produces very little. My opinion is he just doesnt fit.

I agree.

However I just think he's not got the final product - whether that be a through ball, cutting run, or goal. Works hard no doubt but I almost think he goes through "the motions" when he plays rather than having any actual instinct to score. I used to do the same when I wasn't playing well in football. I'd make the run into the six yard box when there was a cross but I wouldn't have the confidence that I'd get on the end of it.

Not sure what to say really - we need to give him a few seasons and hope it all comes together but the prognosis is poor given his age.

fulhamben

Let that sink in.
so the argument should be that he isn't fit for our style of play, which is just as bad is it not?
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Matt10

Quote from: filham on February 11, 2018, 03:43:40 PM

Let that sink in.
The thread is about our £9m striker, we needed a second goal yesterday, this guy had the chance to score  and he missed. Whatever his style and our stile he does need to hit the back of the net when he gets the chance.

It's not just about his goal scoring. If it was, then there wouldn't be any comments of "he doesn't fit in the league". The truth is he doesn't fit in the prototype of championship football system. Therefore, the argument is in fact that our type of football is not of the prototypical championship football system.

Matt10

Quote from: fulhamben on February 11, 2018, 04:35:32 PM

Let that sink in.
so the argument should be that he isn't fit for our style of play, which is just as bad is it not?

Who's play style, yours, mine or Slav's? The last one matters the most. We've been winning games with the last one's play style and decisions, so I'm not one to argue.

RaySmith

He did create the chance he missed by pressing a defender into an error, a one on one with the keeper, and these aren't as easy as they look.

I agree that he isn't exactly a prolific scorer, but nor are any of or strikers, though I have expectations for Kamara and Mitro.

hovewhite

If mitro doesn't deliver a lot of people, probably the same people will slag him off no doubt!

Artful Dodger

Centre forwards are there to score goals and he just doesn't look like doing that. Yesterday, he didn't even hold the ball up and was outmuscled by some big centre backs (as was Piazon) so it was no surprise to see them both subbed for more physical options. I just don't see what he offers really when it was clear that defenders will be far more wary of players like Kamara who are prepared to turn and run at them. Fonte needs to be braver and take more responsibility, whether passing or shooting, to make things happen than play the safe option if he wants to be remembered for anything other than a £9m flop.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

alfie

Quote from: filham on February 11, 2018, 02:01:01 PM
Fonte has  played in 24 Championship matches , surely by now he has settled and it is wishful thinking to imagine we are going to see him improve over the remaining 15 games of the season. He has scored 3 goals and really does not look like  a £9m striker.

Early days for Mitrovic but time is not on his side, I think we had best put our hopes with Kamara for the rest of the season.
Please don't blame him for the price tag.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Matt10

I think Slav tested a shift gameplan yesterday, and I think he received valuable game data. I think it's all about balance though, and the attack was physically stronger with Kamara and Mitro, but defensively we were not. Just like the other way around with Fonte and Piazon playing more like midfielders, and are sent to run up and down the pitch, their defensive dropback responsibilities are higher priority than Mitro and Kamara's are.

That doesn't mean one player is good and one player is bad, or one player doesn't fit this system and that player doesn't. It means that we have an arsenal of decisions that our coach can make at any given time. This makes us less one-dimensional and highly layered in multiple systems. It's exactly what Slav has talked about before, how he can play multiple systems and assign multiple roles within his players - and it can be modified at any point during the match. These modifications allow players to look out of position, but it creates a lot of our chances. Case and point, watch our goal we scored. Johansen deeper than Fonte, Fonte runs into space and sends a ball to Sess. Bolton clear, but because we're so far advanced, everyone crashes on the deflection and Sess finds Piazon backpost, who finds Targett of all people, for the goal.

When Mitro and Kamara entered the field of play, Bolton were now faced with that hold up center forward, but he was paired with a very mobile teammate in Kamara. I think Slav got to see the compliment here and I will not be surprised to see a mix in the lineup against Villa next weekend. I think he's seen that Piazon and Fonte are not as in-sync as they were against Burton, and that may not return. If their defensive responsibilities outweigh the need to play a hold up attack, then we'll most likely see them paired up again, or it may be time for Kamara + someone else. I personally like Kamara and his direct "at you attack" is what I would like Fonte to play like, but that's just not how Fonte is. He likes to set up teammates from advanced positions. If that doesn't make him a typical [forward/striker/winger] , then I'd say that's something Slav may see as an advantage. I think Slav uses the unpredictable nature of his system against opponents, and I'd say it's been working. We, as a team, just need to finish those chances when we have them. Fonte included.

Forever Fulham

Quote from: Matt10 on February 11, 2018, 09:40:05 PM
I think Slav tested a shift gameplan yesterday, and I think he received valuable game data. I think it's all about balance though, and the attack was physically stronger with Kamara and Mitro, but defensively we were not. Just like the other way around with Fonte and Piazon playing more like midfielders, and are sent to run up and down the pitch, their defensive dropback responsibilities are higher priority than Mitro and Kamara's are.

That doesn't mean one player is good and one player is bad, or one player doesn't fit this system and that player doesn't. It means that we have an arsenal of decisions that our coach can make at any given time. This makes us less one-dimensional and highly layered in multiple systems. It's exactly what Slav has talked about before, how he can play multiple systems and assign multiple roles within his players - and it can be modified at any point during the match. These modifications allow players to look out of position, but it creates a lot of our chances. Case and point, watch our goal we scored. Johansen deeper than Fonte, Fonte runs into space and sends a ball to Sess. Bolton clear, but because we're so far advanced, everyone crashes on the deflection and Sess finds Piazon backpost, who finds Targett of all people, for the goal.

When Mitro and Kamara entered the field of play, Bolton were now faced with that hold up center forward, but he was paired with a very mobile teammate in Kamara. I think Slav got to see the compliment here and I will not be surprised to see a mix in the lineup against Villa next weekend. I think he's seen that Piazon and Fonte are not as in-sync as they were against Burton, and that may not return. If their defensive responsibilities outweigh the need to play a hold up attack, then we'll most likely see them paired up again, or it may be time for Kamara + someone else. I personally like Kamara and his direct "at you attack" is what I would like Fonte to play like, but that's just not how Fonte is. He likes to set up teammates from advanced positions. If that doesn't make him a typical [forward/striker/winger] , then I'd say that's something Slav may see as an advantage. I think Slav uses the unpredictable nature of his system against opponents, and I'd say it's been working. We, as a team, just need to finish those chances when we have them. Fonte included.
I agree with a lot of that.  Also, it seemed we were more in control and likely to score again with Piazon and Fonte out there.  I'm not saying more likely that Fonte, personally, would score.  But they create more chaos and opportunities.

VancouverWhite

Quote from: filham on February 11, 2018, 03:43:40 PM

Let that sink in.

All three of our strikers missed golden opportunities yesterday, including AK and Mitro. 

If they weren't producing any chances I'd be more worried.

EJL

Quote from: gang on February 11, 2018, 09:36:51 AM
Another Brian Ruis, skilful but lightweight.
His holdup play is pretty good, though? I don't think it's a physicality thing, more a confidence problem.

KJS

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on February 11, 2018, 09:37:56 AM
Fonte could easily be the creator in midfield that we've missed since Cairney's injury. Shame Jokanovic hasn't given him much of a chance with another ST up top.

Yes JOKA is a crap manager he hasn't got a clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

KJS

Quote from: EJL on February 12, 2018, 05:07:27 AM
His holdup play is pretty good, though? I don't think it's a physicality thing, more a confidence problem.

One thing Fonte isn't is another Ruiz!

ffcne

Quote from: KJS on February 12, 2018, 07:00:16 AM
Quote from: EJL on February 12, 2018, 05:07:27 AM

One thing Fonte isn't is another Ruiz!
No not as good