https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Rui Fonte

Started by jojo1990, February 11, 2018, 07:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: KJS on February 12, 2018, 06:59:38 AM
Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on February 11, 2018, 09:37:56 AM
Fonte could easily be the creator in midfield that we've missed since Cairney's injury. Shame Jokanovic hasn't given him much of a chance with another ST up top.

Yes JOKA is a crap manager he hasn't got a clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Is that what I said?

KJS

You are talking about Fonte playing in midfield as an alternative for TC and if JOKA thought that he would no doubt implement it, after all he see's them in training everyday and as he hasn't then perhaps he disagrees with your idea.

Milo

I thought that too about Fonte dropping back into midfield BUT Norwood is playing out of his skin there currently and I don't see Fonte being an improvement actually.

TC will be back soon anyway.

I actually think TC could be reintroduced up in attack instead of Fonte. Keep Norwood in midfield. I know we tried him on the wing as part of a 4-3-3 when he first came (Pringle on the other side) but things have changed. We are more in control, wingers are less isolated, and we play a lot of our football on the edge of the area trying to get in behind. I think TC pushed into fonte's RW position would offer us a lot more creativity and also a goal threat cutting inside.

toshes mate

Quote from: Matt10 on February 11, 2018, 09:40:05 PM
I think Slav tested a shift gameplan yesterday, and I think he received valuable game data. I think it's all about balance though, and the attack was physically stronger with Kamara and Mitro, but defensively we were not. Just like the other way around with Fonte and Piazon playing more like midfielders, and are sent to run up and down the pitch, their defensive dropback responsibilities are higher priority than Mitro and Kamara's are.
And I think you are right.  This season has been about better protecting our final third at the same time as dominating possession and creating chances as last season.  That means greater reliability in team possession and less likelihood of giving the ball away too cheaply and exposing our most obvious defensive weaknesses.  For my money that is why Matt Targett has subtly changed the way we play up the left flank and those small changes have impacted elsewhere as adjustments are made. 

As you have eloquently stated elsewhere we are not your typical Championship team and many of our methods are pretty alien to the other twenty three involved.  Piazon and Fonte are capable in possession.   Mitrovic  and Kamara are more dangerous on the attack.  I think we will see quite a few more subtle changes or shifts to style over the next fifteen games, because the better the quality of the player the greater the range of styles becomes.   

ffcne

:plus one:
Quote from: Milo on February 12, 2018, 09:01:52 AM
I thought that too about Fonte dropping back into midfield BUT Norwood is playing out of his skin there currently and I don't see Fonte being an improvement actually.

I actually think TC could be reintroduced up in attack instead of Fonte. Keep Norwood in midfield. I know we tried him on the wing as part of a 4-3-3 when he first came (Pringle on the other side) but things have changed. We are more in control, wingers are less isolated, and we play a lot of our football on the edge of the area trying to get in behind. I think TC pushed into fonte's RW position would offer us a lot more creativity and also a goal threat cutting inside.
:plus one:

filham

Quote from: Statto on February 12, 2018, 11:12:41 AM
TC out wide? I thought he joined us because Blackburn weren't letting him play in the middle, then looked bang average in his first season with us because we (initially) didn't let him play there either.
[/quote
Quote from: Statto on February 12, 2018, 11:12:41 AM
TC out wide? I thought he joined us because Blackburn weren't letting him play in the middle, then looked bang average in his first season with us because we (initially) didn't let him play there either.
Cairney looked almost ordinary when playing wide, it was obvious to most of us that his place was in the centre of midfield , the only mystery was why it took the management so long to see it.Tom was magnificent last season , just get him fit and he will again give us those magnificent performances, please don't play around with his role in the team.

Woolly Mammoth

No square pegs in round holes, that is a recipe for disaster, the best player in each position. Messing players around will signal failure.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Quote from: alfie on February 11, 2018, 08:22:43 PM
Quote from: filham on February 11, 2018, 02:01:01 PM
Fonte has  played in 24 Championship matches , surely by now he has settled and it is wishful thinking to imagine we are going to see him improve over the remaining 15 games of the season. He has scored 3 goals and really does not look like  a £9m striker.

Early days for Mitrovic but time is not on his side, I think we had best put our hopes with Kamara for the rest of the season.
Please don't blame him for the price tag.

OK the price tag is not his fault but it is difficult to ignore. At that price level we have reason to believe we have bought someone with a good record and who has been vetted by our experts and will generally perform well for us in the Championship. We are beginning to think we have been short changed.

Mullers OG

I have considerable faith in the manager.  He picks the side each week and consistently picks Fonte up front.  He must believe that Fonte is our most talented central forward.  I personally agree with that opinion.

Fonte is a class player who brings out the best in those around him.  I don't mind the huff and puff type of forward to come on in the last minutes of a game after Fonte and Piazon have worn out the opposition but I don't want to have to watch that all game.  They probably came off too early on Saturday and as a result control was lost.

Please no more players out of position.  Best player for each position.

ffcne

Quote from: Mullers OG on February 12, 2018, 01:05:30 PM
I have considerable faith in the manager.  He picks the side each week and consistently picks Fonte up front.  He must believe that Fonte is our most talented central forward.  I personally agree with that opinion.

Fonte is a class player who brings out the best in those around him.  I don't mind the huff and puff type of forward to come on in the last minutes of a game after Fonte and Piazon have worn out the opposition but I don't want to have to watch that all game.  They probably came off too early on Saturday and as a result control was lost.

Remind us how many goals /assists /shots /headers he has this season.

KJS

Quote from: ffcne on February 12, 2018, 01:13:23 PM

Remind he how many Cairney has had this season?

Facts Not Fiction

I don't think I could agree more.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: KJS on February 12, 2018, 08:41:19 AM
You are talking about Fonte playing in midfield as an alternative for TC and if JOKA thought that he would no doubt implement it, after all he see's them in training everyday and as he hasn't then perhaps he disagrees with your idea.

I think he would've, if he had suitable options at ST.

It took Kamara time to bed in, and wasn't suited to the ST role originally. Fonte was our only option.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Milo on February 12, 2018, 09:01:52 AM

My personal midfield would be McDonald, Norwood and Cairney. Johansen is not a favourite of mine. His passing is too slow and laboured to be a creator in our midfield.

ffcne

Quote from: KJS on February 12, 2018, 01:16:06 PM
Quote from: ffcne on February 12, 2018, 01:13:23 PM

Remind he how many Cairney has had this season?

Fonte signed as a forward to score goals ?? .Cairney a midfielder who has been hampered by injury all season and if fit is our most important player.
            Are you really saying Fonte is more effectual than Cairney?

snarks

Fonte is ideal to shift the centre backs around, he's not a target man in a one upfront way that say Mitrovic or Kamara could be. His interplay with Piazon is good, and his runs unsettle the defenders as he drags them out of position. Yes he doesn't score enough but his movement is part of the reason we can pile on late pressure and Kamara/Mitrovic can be more effective playing against centre backs that have been moved everywhere during the game.

JOND999

Kamara looked dangerous out there against Wanderers.  i would start Fonte, Piazon, Kamara, and Sessegnon in attacking positions and work backwards from there.  i know everyone loves Cairney but he was invisible on saturday.  i worry Mitrovic doesn't have the work rate, pace or cleverness to fit into this side.   

JoelH5

Quote from: JOND999 on February 12, 2018, 04:37:02 PM
Kamara looked dangerous out there against Wanderers.  i would start Fonte, Piazon, Kamara, and Sessegnon in attacking positions and work backwards from there.  i know everyone loves Cairney but he was invisible on saturday.  i worry Mitrovic doesn't have the work rate, pace or cleverness to fit into this side.   

Mitrovic has a high work rate. He's not match fit atm. Let's see again in a few weeks.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

hovewhite

When fit mitro season will be over!

Robbie

Having watched the highlights, both Fonte and AK missed very good chances.
Fonte had a lot of time to slot his chance away.
Pretty poor.