https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Rui Fonte

Started by jojo1990, February 11, 2018, 07:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt10

Quote from: toshes mate on February 12, 2018, 10:00:48 AM
Quote from: Matt10 on February 11, 2018, 09:40:05 PM
I think Slav tested a shift gameplan yesterday, and I think he received valuable game data. I think it's all about balance though, and the attack was physically stronger with Kamara and Mitro, but defensively we were not. Just like the other way around with Fonte and Piazon playing more like midfielders, and are sent to run up and down the pitch, their defensive dropback responsibilities are higher priority than Mitro and Kamara's are.
And I think you are right.  This season has been about better protecting our final third at the same time as dominating possession and creating chances as last season.  That means greater reliability in team possession and less likelihood of giving the ball away too cheaply and exposing our most obvious defensive weaknesses.  For my money that is why Matt Targett has subtly changed the way we play up the left flank and those small changes have impacted elsewhere as adjustments are made. 

As you have eloquently stated elsewhere we are not your typical Championship team and many of our methods are pretty alien to the other twenty three involved.  Piazon and Fonte are capable in possession.   Mitrovic  and Kamara are more dangerous on the attack.  I think we will see quite a few more subtle changes or shifts to style over the next fifteen games, because the better the quality of the player the greater the range of styles becomes.

Good point about Targett. That bit of difference having a left-footed leftback is significant for us. It opens up the sideline play so much more. Defenders now need to cut off an angle that a right footed LB would not threaten. This subtle change allows middle of the pitch to be an outlet again.

The Rock

The fact that I just read 4 pages about Rui and no one can conclude he should be "out" tells me he should stay.

He does win penalties and has great positioning and is really effective at whatever it is he does.

filham

Cairney and Mitrovic  have played little game time, neither of them can be fully match fit, perhaps they should not be on the pitch together.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Statto on February 12, 2018, 06:36:30 PM
Quote from: hovewhite on February 12, 2018, 05:50:12 PM
When fit mitro season will be over!

exactly my thoughts and the main reason i couldn't believe everyone else got so excited over our january transfer business. the only signing i can see making an impact is targett, and even in his case i only expect to be indirect, essentially by leaving sessegnon free to play left wing and odoi to be our backup CB

You moan at me for being negative. Even the Lord Slav was happy with the window.

davew

Quote from: The Rock on February 13, 2018, 02:03:07 AM
The fact that I just read 4 pages about Rui and no one can conclude he should be "out" tells me he should stay.

He does win penalties and has great positioning and is really effective at whatever it is he does.

(LOL), except score goals which is what he was signed to do!!! Probably good enough to make the squad but not as a striker.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

BedsFFC

Quote from: davew on February 13, 2018, 05:05:53 PM

(LOL), except score goals which is what he was signed to do!!! Probably good enough to make the squad but not as a striker.

I just couldn't get past the bit where LOL is put in brackets and then has a comma. Everything else paled into insignificance. It's beautiful.

davew

Quote from: BedsFFC on February 13, 2018, 05:49:56 PM
Quote from: davew on February 13, 2018, 05:05:53 PM

I just couldn't get past the bit where LOL is put in brackets and then has a comma. Everything else paled into insignificance. It's beautiful.
Thanks normally my grammar is immaculate! The comma was intended as a pause, shame the CAP LOCK button wasn't working while I tried to type the next part of my comment. (lol)

Woolly Mammoth

This is edge of the seat action. ⚽️
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

davew

I have finally watched the 90 minute replay of the Bolton game with 100% focus on Rui's contribution and I cannot change my mind about what he contributes, very little!! A few deft touches here and there, makes a little space by some of his runs (all off the ball) and often seems to be in the wrong position in the box when a good ball comes into it (not very often I know)! Kamara for me in the next few matches in the starting 11 with Fonte on the bench if Kebano, Ayite, Ojo and Piazon are not all available, that is how much I rate him!!

ffcne

Quote from: davew on February 13, 2018, 08:49:39 PM
I have finally watched the 90 minute replay of the Bolton game with 100% focus on Rui's contribution and I cannot change my mind about what he contributes, very little!! A few deft touches here and there, makes a little space by some of his runs (all off the ball) and often seems to be in the wrong position in the box when a good ball comes into it (not very often I know)! Kamara for me in the next few matches in the starting 11 with Fonte on the bench if Kebano, Ayite, Ojo and Piazon are not all available, that is how much I rate him!!
:plus one: