Author Topic: NFR: Comparatively 'unsung' Composers - Bored passing time unti next Saturday  (Read 288 times)

Offline rogerpinvirginia

• The Bard/Corked Hat
  • I AM POINTING A PEN AT THE CAMERA THAT TOOK THIS
    • Theatre Production
Roger Hodgson

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:36:20 PM by WhiteJC »

Offline RaySmith

• cebu
The original Singing Postman, John Prine. here he  mentions a few other brilliant singer/songwriters, who've recently left us-

Towndes Van Zandt - very unknown to most people, but an outstanding songwriter. here  Wille Nelson and Bob Dylan cover one ofhis best songs-

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:36:53 PM by WhiteJC »

Offline Holders

• Gentleman Jim
What a good idea for a thread.

I offer Turlough O'Carolan. His music is typically bracketed in "trad" but I hear at least half "classical" in it - try "O'Carolan's Draught", "Planxty Irwin" or "Fanny Power" (yes, really - it's a good tune).

Offline WhiteJC

• Administrator
  • Cliffy Dean
  • I'm tall for my height
Paul Brady...

Todd Rundgren...

Tim Finn...

Robert Cray...

Offline Jem

• Graham Leggat
Saw Supertramp in Croydon in the early seventies. Front row seats. Fantastic evening. Still play their albums to this day.

Offline Holders

• Gentleman Jim
Saw Supertramp in Croydon in the early seventies. Front row seats. Fantastic evening. Still play their albums to this day.

Was it at the Greyhound? I used to see a lot of bands there, notably Curved Air. Saw Supertramp at Reading early 70s as well.

Sorry, Roger, I misunderstood when you said composer.

Offline Jem

• Graham Leggat

Was it at the Greyhound? I used to see a lot of bands there, notably Curved Air. Saw Supertramp at Reading early 70s as well.

It was at the civic centre. Curved Air was another favourite.  Never did fall out of love with Sonja Kristina!

Offline Barrett487

• Legend
Russ Ballard

Two tracks associated with big hits by other bands.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:16:20 PM by WhiteJC »

Offline Holders

• Gentleman Jim

It was at the civic centre. Curved Air was another favourite.  Never did fall out of love with Sonja Kristina!

Years later I had dinner with her.

Offline Jem

• Graham Leggat

Did she live up to expectations? It's always hard to know what someone is like when you have only seen them on stage.

Offline Holders

• Gentleman Jim

Did she live up to expectations? It's always hard to know what someone is like when you have only seen them on stage.

She was charming and surprisingly well-spoken (not quite plummy). That surprised me, not sure why!

Offline Holders

• Gentleman Jim
I also later met Darryl Way in the Royal Oak, Malborough, where they used to have regular music. That's a different story! The woman I was with fell off her bar stool in front of him (good cider they serve there).