https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Comparatively 'unsung' Composers - Bored passing time unti next Saturday

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, February 11, 2018, 10:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

RaySmith

The original Singing Postman, John Prine. here he  mentions a few other brilliant singer/songwriters, who've recently left us-

Towndes Van Zandt - very unknown to most people, but an outstanding songwriter. here  Wille Nelson and Bob Dylan cover one ofhis best songs-

Holders

What a good idea for a thread.

I offer Turlough O'Carolan. His music is typically bracketed in "trad" but I hear at least half "classical" in it - try "O'Carolan's Draught", "Planxty Irwin" or "Fanny Power" (yes, really - it's a good tune).
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

WhiteJC

Jem

Saw Supertramp in Croydon in the early seventies. Front row seats. Fantastic evening. Still play their albums to this day.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Holders

Quote from: Jem on February 12, 2018, 07:53:01 PM
Saw Supertramp in Croydon in the early seventies. Front row seats. Fantastic evening. Still play their albums to this day.

Was it at the Greyhound? I used to see a lot of bands there, notably Curved Air. Saw Supertramp at Reading early 70s as well.

Sorry, Roger, I misunderstood when you said composer.

Jem

Quote from: Holders on February 12, 2018, 08:23:05 PM

Was it at the Greyhound? I used to see a lot of bands there, notably Curved Air. Saw Supertramp at Reading early 70s as well.

It was at the civic centre. Curved Air was another favourite.  Never did fall out of love with Sonja Kristina!
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Barrett487

Russ Ballard

Two tracks associated with big hits by other bands.

Holders

Quote from: Jem on February 12, 2018, 09:24:15 PM

It was at the civic centre. Curved Air was another favourite.  Never did fall out of love with Sonja Kristina!

Years later I had dinner with her.

Jem

Quote from: Holders on February 13, 2018, 08:55:16 AM

Did she live up to expectations? It's always hard to know what someone is like when you have only seen them on stage.
― Groucho Marx

Holders

Quote from: Jem on February 13, 2018, 09:39:15 AM
Quote from: Holders on February 13, 2018, 08:55:16 AM

Did she live up to expectations? It's always hard to know what someone is like when you have only seen them on stage.

She was charming and surprisingly well-spoken (not quite plummy). That surprised me, not sure why!

Holders

I also later met Darryl Way in the Royal Oak, Malborough, where they used to have regular music. That's a different story! The woman I was with fell off her bar stool in front of him (good cider they serve there).