News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jimmy Bullard Interview - Interesting view on Roy and how his contract went down

Started by horse1031, February 14, 2018, 02:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horse1031

Sorry if this has been posted before...Jimmy at his best in this interview.  How did I not know that him and Roy didn't get along?  I can see now that their personalities probably didn't mesh...

I also added this little beauty from Jimmy against AV on the offal.  Sticky bum time and Jimmy would come up big.  It was just a game to him even when the pressure was on and always having fun.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/february/14/flashback-aston-villa

Twig

It may have been just a game to him but it wasn't to me and, I suspect, most other fans who pay a lot of cash to go along and support the Whites.  He had talent but wasted it and I lost respect for him.

BedsFFC

I know a couple of blokes who are very similar. Both were football players.

I watched SOccer-Am the other day. It's an embarrassing shadow of its former self and Bullard seems to have carte blanche to just be himself

I don't know Bullard personally, so I won't do the easy internet thing of making judgments on his personality.

All I will say is, you just gotta love Bairdinhio that little bit more.

Southcoastffc

I used to sit in the JH stand and had a pretty good view of the bench, including Roy's clear frustration with things JB did on the pitch.  By all account Roy was (is?) an organisation and methods man with a prescribed system while JB is/was, in part at least, a maverick.   Not a marriage made to last.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

VicHalomsLovechild

Thinking back, nearly to a man we all loved Jimmy. He was the one player who could and did change games. To manage a talent like that would be a nightmare, he's not going to want to fit into any kind of structure on the field or in training.
Listening to the video and remembering his comment about Hull being a big club. It struct me he was taking a last pop at Roy. It's a shame injure robbed him (and other players) of finishing a career he had a skill for and enjoyed.

horse1031

Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on February 14, 2018, 05:27:07 PM
Thinking back, nearly to a man we all loved Jimmy. He was the one player who could and did change games. To manage a talent like that would be a nightmare, he's not going to want to fit into any kind of structure on the field or in training.
Listening to the video and remembering his comment about Hull being a big club. It struct me he was taking a last pop at Roy. It's a shame injure robbed him (and other players) of finishing a career he had a skill for and enjoyed.

he did have a dodgy knee and cut his career way too short...  but we got rid of him at just the right time!  for 5 mill as well!

Bill2

Was a great character and no doubt a great laugh in the changing room, but I could not see him and Roy getting on. The trouble was he wouldn't play in a structured team which Roy put together and would go all over the pitch looking for the ball often going taking it of his own team members. He wouldn't fit in with SJ's style either.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I have posted this story on here in he past, but not for some time now.

A Fulham supporting neighbour of mine is a taxi driver and he did a trip to Craven Cottage for who turned out to be Andy Johnson's father. Andy was still playing for us at the time and His father had heard that Bullard's attitude to Roy Hodgson was disgusting(his words and not mine) and he treated most tactical talks as a joke.

It was amazing that Roy tolerated such unprofessional behaviour.

filham

That was an interesting interview and just what most of us would expect from the character and entertainer that was Jimmy Bullard.
We loved him at Fulham, he served us well and always put in a good performance.
Always suspected that Roy wanted to see the back of him as it must have been impossible to fit him into the organised outfit Roy had in mind.

Whitesideup

What I don't know is if the non-appearance of Roy was at all linked to Bullard's view that if he didn't get the lucrative and long contract extension he was seeking, that Fulham could not expect him to play out the final year of his contract as there was no way he was going to do that. When I heard the interview in which he confirmed this is what he did, he lost all his credibility for me as a Fulham player.  I was happy to see him go.

bog

Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on February 14, 2018, 05:27:07 PM

:plus one:

The Rock

Quote from: Southcoastffc on February 14, 2018, 04:43:02 PM
I used to sit in the JH stand and had a pretty good view of the bench, including Roy's clear frustration with things JB did on the pitch.  By all account Roy was (is?) an organisation and methods man with a prescribed system while JB is/was, in part at least, a maverick.   Not a marriage made to last.

Yep - I remember seeing the same very well, good description. Not sure either is wrong, I love Roy. Clashing personalities.

HatterDon

I don't think it was just Roy or several of us supporters who were happy to see him go. I remember reading that after he'd been telling the rest of the squad that he couldn't wait to go away to a "big club," he told them, "@@%%@# I'm going to Hull City," and the other players laughed and cheered.

Injury aside, 20 or 30 years earlier he might have had a storied career, but today's football requires more concentration and discipline.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Snibbo

Quote from: Bill2 on February 14, 2018, 06:25:40 PM
Was a great character and no doubt a great laugh in the changing room ....

Hmmm.  For 5 minutes maybe,  after which I'd want to strangle him or do a Bairdinho

Woolly Mammoth

Maybe a great laugh in a Dressing room on a Sunday morning, but I can understand Roy Hodgson being irritated by him. Unfortunately Bullard is the kind of character that could undermine a manager without realising it.
Don't get me wrong, it's good to have chirpy guys in the dressing room brightening up the atmosphere, I just feel he can over do it, and that isn't always wise.
I once had the good fortune and luck and great pleasure in sharing a dressing room with Jimmy Greaves in a charity match after he had officially retired.
I can say that I have never come across a funnier or wittier man in a dressing room. He had the whole dressing room in stitches before and after the match.
When you consider what a great player he was, the greatest goalscorer I have ever had the pleasure of seeing. He came out with so many jokes at his own expense. He even brought a bottle of Whiskey into the dressing room. If he hadn't been a footballer he would have made a good stand up comedian.
But he was a breath of fresh air and great for dressing room atmosphere and comradeship. A real genuine character, they don't make them them like him any more, and that is so sad.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 15, 2018, 09:24:01 AM
Maybe a great laugh in a Dressing room on a Sunday morning, but I can understand Roy Hodgson being irritated by him. Unfortunately Bullard is the kind of character that could undermine a manager without realising it.
Don't get me wrong, it's good to have chirpy guys in the dressing room brightening up the atmosphere, I just feel he can over do it, and that isn't always wise.
I once had the good fortune and luck and great pleasure in sharing a dressing room with Jimmy Greaves in a charity match after he had officially retired.
I can say that I have never come across a funnier or wittier man in a dressing room. He had the whole dressing room in stitches before and after the match.
When you consider what a great player he was, the greatest goalscorer I have ever had the pleasure of seeing. He came out with so many jokes at his own expense. He even brought a bottle of Whiskey into the dressing room. If he hadn't been a footballer he would have made a good stand up comedian.
But he was a breath of fresh air and great for dressing room atmosphere and comradeship. A real genuine character, they don't make them them like him any more, and that is so sad.
Of course the Jimmy Greaves personality came through loud and clear on the Saint and Greavsie TV show.
Never heard of any manager having problems with Jimmy though.

cmg

Quote from: filham on February 15, 2018, 01:00:47 PM

Of course the Jimmy Greaves personality came through loud and clear on the Saint and Greavsie TV show.
Never heard of any manager having problems with Jimmy though.

Nereo Rocco wasn't a big fan.

Woolly Mammoth

Jimmy Greaves scored 9 goals in 12 games for AC Milan, and he wasn't a particularly big fan of Nereo Rocco.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.