News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do we have a problem with team selection ?

Started by Riversider, February 12, 2018, 03:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Let me ask you this, and please answer yes or no,
Q, Does Slavisa Jokanovic currently know his strongest starting eleven ?
If you answered yes, were you happy with the starting eleven against Bolton ?

It seems to me prior to the signings of Mitrovic and Christie that we had a pretty settled side but now (As crazy as it sounds we seem to have to many options)
Personally, I feel that having Piazon AND Fonte in the side slows us down too much, I find it troubling that the likes of Ayite, Kebano and Ojo are going to struggle to get a game now,
I know that I'm in a band of one here, but I actually really like Sheyi Ojo, his pace on the right coupled with Sess on the left gives us far more of a threat, but with the addition of Mitrovic (As a loan player) and the failure to sign Norwood permanently means that we may not see Ojo again, which would be a great shame, because I would really fancy him on that big Wembley pitch,
With a fit Cairney , I think that 9 of the side picks itself , getting those final two positions correct will define our season.

Brightster#2

Agreed. I really like ojo as well. Piazon is a great player, very intelligent but yes him and fonte do slow us down. If we look at last season we played best with pace out wide and a target man to be in the box (Chris Martin)

So I would play

Betts
Fred—odoi—ream—targett
Mcdonald
Cairney—johansen
Ojo————————sess
Mitrovic

Subs: betts, Christie, kalas, Norwood, kebano, piazon, kamara

I would have to leave fonte, ayite, cisse out

colinwhite

I see it this way. Its a bit horses for courses . I think if Jocka decides to start with Mitrovic then we will see Ojo or Ayete starting with Sessignon on the other side. If TC starts then I expect Mitrovic to start as well. IF Tc isnt fit enough then I believe he Will go with Piazon as that extra creative player which will probably mean that Fonte also starts as Slavisa clearly sees this as a good partnership. Maybe for the games against teams sitting back we are more likely to go with the better ball retention players (FOtne Piazon ) whilst for playing in the tougher matches we will go with another grouping which will give the team balance in a different way (Carney, Mitro ,Ojo )
.Its going to be interesting to see saturdays starting line up. Dont think Kamara will start as he is not on the same wavelength as the other players even if he has done well individually.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Riversider on February 12, 2018, 03:33:42 PM
Let me ask you this, and please answer yes or no,

It seems to me prior to the signings of Mitrovic and Christie that we had a pretty settled side but now (As crazy as it sounds we seem to have to many options)
Personally, I feel that having Piazon AND Fonte in the side slows us down too much, I find it troubling that the likes of Ayite, Kebano and Ojo are going to struggle to get a game now,
I know that I'm in a band of one here, but I actually really like Sheyi Ojo, his pace on the right coupled with Sess on the left gives us far more of a threat, but with the addition of Mitrovic (As a loan player) and the failure to sign Norwood permanently means that we may not see Ojo again, which would be a great shame, because I would really fancy him on that big Wembley pitch,
With a fit Cairney , I think that 9 of the side picks itself , getting those final two positions correct will define our season.
Yes
I agree - in a strange way we have more of a headache with team selection now, than we did before the window!
I too like Ayite, Kebano and Ojo and think they can get us over the finishing line.
'Tis tough, but I fully back and trust Slavisa. He hasn't let us down as yet!

grandad

Pleased team selection is not my problem. Should he select a team which the opposition think he will field or should he try to out fox them? Perhaps Fred as FB & Christie as wide right.Both Christie & Sess are good crossers so I would start Mit up top. Which of our 6 loanees will have to drop out?
Where there's a will there's a wife

JoelH5

No. There's no such thing as a best 11. Depends on opposition we face and their style of play
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Roberty

Quote from: Brightster#2 on February 12, 2018, 05:31:28 PM
Agreed. I really like ojo as well. Piazon is a great player, very intelligent but yes him and fonte do slow us down. If we look at last season we played best with pace out wide and a target man to be in the box (Chris Martin)

So I would play

Betts
Fred—odoi—ream—targett
Mcdonald
Cairney—johansen
Ojo————————sess
Mitrovic

I think we can only have 5 loan players in the match-day squad
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Riversider

Quote from: Roberty on February 12, 2018, 07:47:52 PM

So I would play

Betts
Fred—odoi—ream—targett
Mcdonald
Cairney—johansen
Ojo————————sess
Mitrovic

He has only put 5 in his suggested match day squad.

Roberty

Quote from: Riversider on February 12, 2018, 08:21:47 PM
Quote from: Roberty on February 12, 2018, 07:47:52 PM

So I would play

Betts
Fred—odoi—ream—targett
Mcdonald
Cairney—johansen
Ojo————————sess
Mitrovic

He has only put 5 in his suggested match day squad.

Targett, Ojo, Mitrovic, Kalas, Norwood & Piazon = 6
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

davew

Sounds great having selection problems which we have, too many wingers and none of them can cross a ball (well certainly not from a corner), a real hotch potch of strikers i.e Fonte maybe a promising attacking midfielder, Kamara sadly not ready to play in the Championship all the gear but little idea (though has deserved more starts), Mitrovic too early to judge him but clearly fitness and speed is not his fonte, sorry I meant forte! It has been a great run of results but performances not really! I hate to sound negative but a bad day on the golf course often starts this depression, I think the Villa game is maybe the most important match of the next 6 we play and team selection is key to getting 3 points, so who would I pick? The back 4 pick themselves normally as do the midfield whether it is TC or Norwood, the key is the front 3. Sess will no doubt get a spot based on his success this season, which then leaves the other 2 positions up front, so this week let's start with Kebano and Ayite, plenty of attacking options left on the bench including Rui!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

We Are Premier League

Quote from: davew on February 12, 2018, 09:21:10 PM
Sounds great having selection problems which we have, too many wingers and none of them can cross a ball (well certainly not from a corner), a real hotch potch of strikers i.e Fonte maybe a promising attacking midfielder, Kamara sadly not ready to play in the Championship all the gear but little idea (though has deserved more starts), Mitrovic too early to judge him but clearly fitness and speed is not his fonte, sorry I meant forte! It has been a great run of results but performances not really! I hate to sound negative but a bad day on the golf course often starts this depression, I think the Villa game is maybe the most important match of the next 6 we play and team selection is key to getting 3 points, so who would I pick? The back 4 pick themselves normally as do the midfield whether it is TC or Norwood, the key is the front 3. Sess will no doubt get a spot based on his success this season, which then leaves the other 2 positions up front, so this week let's start with Kebano and Ayite, plenty of attacking options left on the bench including Rui!

Kebano and Ayite? sounds unlikely given that Fonte, Piazon, Mitro and Kamara were all picked ahead of them last weekend

Fonte and Kamara for me.

Can we create vote to see which front three that is preferred against villa?

davew

Quote from: mlangstrom on February 12, 2018, 09:39:35 PM
Quote from: davew on February 12, 2018, 09:21:10 PM

Kebano and Ayite? sounds unlikely given that Fonte, Piazon, Mitro and Kamara were all picked ahead of them last weekend

Fonte and Kamara for me.

Can we create vote to see which front three that is preferred against villa?
Maybe it is unlikely but we only scrambled a draw, neither of my choices played, maybe just clutching at straws! Good idea about creating a vote, a couple on here know how to set it up.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

MJG

Fans views.... We have small squad we must buy otherwise we will struggle
Fans view... We have too many players, manger doesn't know his best XI, he must sort it otherwise we will struggle

Just the views of a long term fan

HatterDon

"do we have a problem with team selection"

if WE is Fulham FC, then no. Look at our unbeaten streak. That should show you we're doing quite well with team selection

if WE is folks on this board, then yes. There are people on this board who have a problem with every player we have on the books.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

MJG

Quote from: Statto on February 12, 2018, 10:49:17 PM
Quote from: MJG on February 12, 2018, 10:17:11 PM
Fans view... We have too many players, manger doesn't know his best XI, he must sort it otherwise we will struggle

FansOne moaner's view... We have too many players, manger doesn't know his best XI, he must sort it otherwise we will struggle
fair response

Riversider

Quote from: MJG on February 12, 2018, 10:52:53 PM

FansOne moaner's view... We have too many players, manger doesn't know his best XI, he must sort it otherwise we will struggle
fair response

Why not just answer the question,were you happy with the starting eleven on Saturday against Bolton ?

Arthur

Quote from: Riversider on February 13, 2018, 12:07:10 AM
Why not just answer the question,were you happy with the starting eleven on Saturday against Bolton ?

Yes.

What now?

We Are Premier League

Quote from: Arthur on February 13, 2018, 02:00:31 AM

Yes.

What now?

I will even go as far as yes and yes.

Matt10

Quote from: HatterDon on February 12, 2018, 10:49:25 PM
"do we have a problem with team selection"

if WE is Fulham FC, then no. Look at our unbeaten streak. That should show you we're doing quite well with team selection

if WE is folks on this board, then yes. There are people on this board who have a problem with every player we have on the books.

Yup, spot on here. Thank goodness we aren't running the show!

MJG

Quote from: MJG on February 12, 2018, 10:52:53 PM

fair response

yes