watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why we love Fulham

Started by bencher, February 13, 2018, 06:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bencher

The other day I was walking with my 6 year old daughter in the park and she spotted a football with the Barcelona badge on it. I said, "phh, Barcelona...". She said "what's wrong with Barcelona?" I said, "nothing, but I don't like Barcelona, I like Fulham". She said, "are Fulham a good team then?". I said "well, not really, but sometimes." So she said, "so why do you like Fulham?" So I said, "because it's part of who I am. They might not be the best team, but they're my team, and they're my family's team, and that's what matters."

filham

Pleased to hear that you are getting the important facts of life across to your daughter at a young age.

paulbrookersmazydribbles

That is brilliant. My Dad took me to Fulham when I was three and it was in my blood forever more. All the boys at school loved that there was a girl who was into her football, but they couldn't understand why I supported Fulham. I just told them they had to come to Craven Cottage once and they'd get it.

Holders

Quote from: paulbrookersmazydribbles on February 13, 2018, 07:11:14 PM
That is brilliant. My Dad took me to Fulham when I was three and it was in my blood forever more. All the boys at school loved that there was a girl who was into her football, but they couldn't understand why I supported Fulham. I just told them they had to come to Craven Cottage once and they'd get it.

I first took my daughter when she was 6, she got hooked and 20 years later still goes to games. Grand-daughter has already been as well.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

flyingfish

My daughter, who is 7, saw a kid wearing a Barcelona top in the park and she said she felt sorry for him. I asked her why and she said 'because he can't ever get to go and watch them? Not like me and Fulham, what's the point in supporting a team you can never go and watch?'

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: flyingfish on February 13, 2018, 08:44:37 PM
My daughter, who is 7, saw a kid wearing a Barcelona top in the park and she said she felt sorry for him. I asked her why and she said 'because he can't ever get to go and watch them? Not like me and Fulham, what's the point in supporting a team you can never go and watch?'

Absolutely 1st class deduction and observation from your daughter, and a very sensible and practical remark for a 7 year old, and very true.
She has a bright future.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

One James stannard

Quote from: paulbrookersmazydribbles on February 13, 2018, 07:11:14 PM

So so true.... I grew up in the middle of Chelsea and fulhams grounds in fact slightly closer to Chelsea's and used to car wash to get a few quid to give to the fella on the turnstiles at Chelsea whilst he turned a blind eye and let us crawl under and I loved it until I went to craven cottage.

Wow that place, even now some 30 years later I still get that same buzz going to the ground and walking up those steps. It really is a truly magical place

Carborundum

Quote from: bencher on February 13, 2018, 06:27:11 PM
She said, "are Fulham a good team then?". I said "well, not really, but sometimes."
Great post and in the extract above you have neatly summarised several years traffic on this board

bill taylors apprentice

My ten year old daughter comes very occasionally but I think she enjoys the day out more than the actual game.

The first time she came, as the second half was about to kick off she asked if she could have her book from my bag to read!!!

After the War my Dad visited Fulham & the other lot on alternate weeks and his favourite player was Roy Bentley but when he bought our first house in Kingwood road and Bentley was transferred to us he stopped going to that ground near Fulham Broadway and Fulham FC became his team.

Lucky escape for me!

Burt

I took Burt Jr to his first match (FA Cup v. Cheltenham, when we ground-shared with those mugs down the road) when he was 5, and apart from a brief wobble when all his glory-hunting school mates held sway, he's been hooked ever since.

I took Ms Burt to her first match (FA Cup v. Stoke, 3-0 win, Montella scoring, etc) when she was 5, and that has been the only game she has gone to. Very happy to wear our colours, but not interested in going to matches.

Me? Local club, we lived in Putney, my brother took me when I was 5 (v. Blackburn, way back when) and I was immediately hooked and have never looked back. As others have said, it's in the blood...

MaidenheadMick

Quote from: Burt on February 13, 2018, 09:56:15 PM
I took Burt Jr to his first match (FA Cup v. Cheltenham, when we ground-shared with those mugs down the road) when he was 5, and apart from a brief wobble when all his glory-hunting school mates held sway, he's been hooked ever since.

I took Ms Burt to her first match (FA Cup v. Stoke, 3-0 win, Montella scoring, etc) when she was 5, and that has been the only game she has gone to. Very happy to wear our colours, but not interested in going to matches.

Me? Local club, we lived in Putney, my brother took me when I was 5 (v. Blackburn, way back when) and I was immediately hooked and have never looked back. As others have said, it's in the blood...

You took Ms Burt to a FA Cup tie 11 years ago when she was 5? That makes her 16 now. Got married young didn't you?

grandad

My first daughter was conceived on the 2nd bar behind the Cottage end goal on 28th Feb 1970 at the match against Rotherham. There were only 8,142 there. We won 3-2 so nobody noticed me jumping up & down & my wife squealing.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Dixie

Quote from: MaidenheadMick on February 13, 2018, 10:04:29 PM

You took Ms Burt to a FA Cup tie 11 years ago when she was 5? That makes her 16 now. Got married young didn't you?

I had to read that twice before i realised it was Ms not Mrs!
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

Burt

Quote from: Dixie on February 14, 2018, 12:48:10 PM
Quote from: MaidenheadMick on February 13, 2018, 10:04:29 PM

I had to read that twice before i realised it was Ms not Mrs!

I can confirm that it is indeed my daughter :)

Mrs. Burt has never seen us play. The closest she got to it was the Great Escape match at Pompey - we made a weekend of it so she got as far as Fratton Park but then went shopping!

As Brother Burt's missus has seen us play, Mrs. Burt's resolve is weakening...! Watch this space.

fluffyninja

Damn I must be a bad parent I took my daughter to the Hertha Berlin game when she was about 9 or 10 at Loftus Road under Tigana on a freezing week night and watched the most miserable 0-0 ever , she never showed much interest after that despite me trying to convince her it wasn't always like this 049:gif

bobbo

Over the years I've taken my daughter,son and one granddaughter to the cottage none of em have continued.that grandaughter now has a qpr boyfriend and she goes with him to matches, sickening eh
1975 just leaving home full of hope

bobbo

Quote from: fluffyninja on February 14, 2018, 10:09:49 PM
Damn I must be a bad parent I took my daughter to the Hertha Berlin game when she was about 9 or 10 at Loftus Road under Tigana on a freezing week night and watched the most miserable 0-0 ever , she never showed much interest after that despite me trying to convince her it wasn't always like this 049:gif
pretty sure that match v herth that we had Pierre Collini as ref- best ever referee anywhere

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bobbo on February 15, 2018, 09:54:54 AM
Over the years I've taken my daughter,son and one granddaughter to the cottage none of em have continued.that grandaughter now has a qpr boyfriend and she goes with him to matches, sickening eh

I wouldn't stand for it, and I wouldn't take it sitting down either.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bobbo

I've got a glimmer of hope, if I live long enough, that granddaughter is pregnant having a boy so I'm told so got to get my hands on him quickly and down to the cottage.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: bobbo on February 15, 2018, 09:56:47 AM
Quote from: fluffyninja on February 14, 2018, 10:09:49 PM
pretty sure that match v herth that we had Pierre Collini as ref- best ever referee anywhere
Good recall bobbo - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/dec/13/uefa.sport2
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.