more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (17/02/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 17, 2018, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Aston Villa tipped to secure 9/1 promotion boost at Fulham

David Prutton has tipped Aston Villa to continue their excellent run of form with a victory at Fulham on Saturday.

Seven wins in a row has taken Villa up to second in the Championship, 12 points behind Wolverhampton Wanderers with 15 games to play.

Fulham are currently fifth in the table, seven points behind Villa having gone nine league games without defeat, but the Sky Sports pundit believes the Midlands side will nick a 1-0 win this weekend (9/1 with Sky Bet).

"This should be a great battle between two of the form teams in the Sky Bet Championship right now, and arguably Aston Villa's biggest test for quite a while," he said.

"Steve Bruce's side have been excellent lately and momentum is really on their side at the moment.

"Fulham have been brilliant lately and it's a tough game to call, but I think Villa will just nab victory.

Villa beat Fulham 2-1 in the reverse fixture earlier in the season, but Saturday's match will be a tough test of their promotion credentials.

Fulham have won six in a row at Craven Cottage and are more than capable of taking something from the game.

The draw is priced at 12/5 and that could be the way to play this one.

http://sportslens.com/aston-villa-tipped-to-secure-9-1-promotion-boost-at-fulham/225065/

WhiteJC

Liverpool man Sheyi Ojo or Chelsea man Lucas Piazon? What is Fulham's strongest XI?

We've asked what various people around the club feel is Fulham's strongest XI - here's what everyone had to say

Fulham now have a fully fit squad available to them, and while that's good news it also brings a selection headache for Slavisa Jokanovic .

We know that only five of the six loanees can fit into a matchday squad, but deciding which of those six to chose is going to be a difficult job in the Fulham war room from now until the end of the season.

There's also the question of who starts up front for the side - Fulham now have a wealth of serious attacking options that could all have an argument to start.

So, we've asked various people from around Fulham to have their say on what they think the strongest XI is and why.

Ryan O'Donovan, Fulham reporter @ GetWestLondon

It's a real Jekyll and Hyde ask this - half of them is extremely straight forward to pick, but the other half is a nightmare.

But not the bad type, it's a headache that Slavisa Jokanovic would rather have than not having strength in depth in his side, especially coming into this stage of the season.

I've always preferred David Button as my first choice keeper, but with the way Marcus Bettinelli is playing there is no way you can drop him from the side - the rest of the back four picks itself I think.

In midfield, Kevin McDonald and Stefan Johansen are certains, but it's the battle between Ollie Norwood and Tom Cairney that interests me - Norwood has been pretty solid in that role but Cairney offers that little bit extra class that you get from a top quality player.

Up front is the tough one - I think I'd go with a fully fit Aleksandar Mitrovic flanked by Ryan Sessegnon and Lucas Piazon. I like Sheyi Ojo but Piazon has been in stunning form since returning from injury and the side look a different prospect with him in it.

My XI: Bettinelli, Fredericks, Targett, Kalas, Ream, McDonald, Johansen, Cairney, Piazon, R. Sessegnon, Mitrovic

Ryan O'Donovan's starting XI

Dan Crawford, Fulham Supporters' Trust

Slavisa Jokanovic has so many options in his squad post the January transfer window that it took me more time than I thought it would to settle on this line up.

With Marcus Bettinelli having brought some much needed solidity in goal and Matt Targett striking up such a great understanding with Ryan Sessegnon, the back five picks itself.

I think Fulham will be better for having their three midfield musketeers together again. I chose Ojo ahead of Piazon because I think his pace will unsettle Championship defences who might try and push high up the pitch - whilst Mitrovic offers a more imposing option up front and I think he'll be a real asset with a few more minutes under his belt.

My XI: Bettinelli; Fredericks, Targett, Kalas, Ream; McDonald, Johansen, Cairney; Ojo, R. Sessegnon, Mitrovic.

Dan Crawford's starting XI

Jack Collins, Fulhamish

To put it in perspective, it's an absolute blessing that we're even having a conversation about who should start for Fulham because it shows the depth of squad that the management and the backroom staff have put together – this is a group of players that can and should challenge for promotion now, and if Jokanovic can build on the recent run of form that they've bene on across a tricky period, that will be the case.

Picking a team isn't easy, but I've given it a go. Bettinelli starts in goal, as I imagine he will for most fans now. I still don't believe there's particularly much in quality between Fulham's two keepers, but there can be no denying that Bettinelli's return to the side has coincided with an upwards trend in results over both the previous two seasons, and whether it's simply confidence that the back four has in him or something else, it's pretty clear that only an injury will put him out of the side now.

The first and only real dilemma in the defence is the position of right-back. Ryan Frederick's recent form means he gets the nod, but it's interesting that we have another dynamic there now, with Cyrus Christie offering athleticism, height and a lovely delivery as an alternative to Fredericks' blistering pace. Ream, Kalas, and Matt Targett, who's hardly put a foot wrong since arriving, make up the rest of the back four.

Ollie Norwood has seen a resurgence of late, but on a tactical level I think he's the one who has to give way to Tom Cairney when the captain returns to full fitness. Whilst he has filled in admirably, and there are many who feel that Johansen's early dreadful form should see him dropped instead, I feel like the box-to-box energy that Stef brings is what provides the foil for Cairney's languid style to flourish alongside KMac's defensive solidity.

Norwood remains an excellent option, but I do believe his quarterback style is too static to fully allow TC to express himself alongside Ollie in the midfield. On the left, Sess picks himself, but I think the two roles alongside him are probably where the most discussion will be had.

I think Aleksandar Mitrovic, when match-fit, will lead the line; but I also feel he will do best with a rapid winger alongside him who will get the ball into the box – someone like Neeskens Kebano. If Rui Fonte plays, as discussed at length, then Lucas Piazon should play alongside him in order to build upon that defence-unlocking intricacy that worked so well against Burton Albion.

My XI: Bettinelli; Fredericks, Kalas, Ream, Targett; McDonald, Johansen, Cairney; Kebano, Mitrovic, Sessegnon

Jack Collins' strongest XI

Russ Goldman, Cottage Talk

For my starting XI, the defence will be Marcus Bettinelli as the goalkeeper, Ryan Fredericks as your right-back, the centre-back pairing is Tomas Kalas and Tim Ream.

Matt Targett is my left-back, because in a very short period of time, he has fit perfectly in what Jokanovic wants from his full-backs as he is very good in attack, but can also defend just as well.

The midfield three would be Kevin McDonald, Stefan Johansen, and Tom Cairney. Oliver Norwood does not deserve to be left out, but when fully fit, Cairney is your best player so someone has to go.

Up front, I have Ryan Sessegnon on the left, Aleksandar Mitrovic in the center, and on the right I have Sheyi Ojo. I struggled to pick between Lucas Piazon and Ojo, but went with the player who has more pace, and fits into the philosophy that Jokanovic wants to play.

I could have easily picked Piazon, because right now I think he is the more polished overall player, but Ojo when fit I think is the bigger threat against the opposition.

My XI: Bettinelli, Fredericks, Kalas, Ream, Targett; McDonald, Norwood, Johansen; Ojo, Mitrovic, Sessegnon

Russ Goldman's strongest XI

Combined team, Fulham Focus

This is a combined effort from the team over at Fulham Focus, who have voted for their most popular XI.

The only positions that weren't agreed were that four went for Odoi over Kalas but everyone agreed it was the hardest position to pick between those two. Two went for Kamara instead of Mitrovic and one for Fonte. One for Ojo over Piazon. The rest of the team was 100% agreed.

Our XI: Bettinelli, Targett, Ream, Kalas, Fredericks, McDonald, Johansen, Cairney, Sessegnon, Mitrovic, Piazon

Fulham Focus' combined XI

Aaron Paul, BBC London

In Marcus Bettinelli, Fulham have a solid shot stopper, and someone who evidently has dressing room presence; which ultimately transpires to the pitch. The back four are strong and pretty much pick themselves. In Kalas and Ream you have two defenders who have simply improved over time, whilst there have been some questions over Kalas' performances this season, his partnership with Ream has grown from strength to strength. No doubt with huge credit to the American- Ream offers a calm head and is excellent in pressurised situations, for someone I personally wasn't a fan of, it's nice to see how much of a fan favourite he has become.

The midfield picks itself really, Kevin McDonald- Braveheart, The Carnoustie Crusher, the man is a machine, very committed, passionate and a leader, and a great guy as well. Stefan Johansen has seen his critics come and go this season with some hit and miss performances but I think he is the perfect foil for Tom Cairney to operate as freely as he does. Credit must go to Johansen for that stunning goal at Cardiff- the way he was looking behind him for runners- it was like he was running in the Olympics!.

Tom Cairney- what can you say about the guy, he is getting better and better each day, I was sceptical when he was appointed captain in the summer, but I think TC has really excelled in the role, he is an integral cog in the Fulham machine, and I think that Slavisa Jokanovic's style of play really gets the most out of him.

The front three have been the most difficult choice of all. I think the only definite starter for me is Ryan Sessegnon, he has shone on the wing and in an attacking position. what concerns and (angers) me is the National Press and their portrayal of the new boy wonder. I think that playing at Fulham has given Ryan a grounding, he's had to grow up and learn fast, and as long as he doesnt get poached by another club to play at Left Back- i think we may have found the solution to England's long term left wing issue.

The right wing is a problem for me, I love Lucas Piazon but feel that maybe his work rate and his evident affinity to the fans and club will always put him above Kebano and Ayite in the fans eyes. Kebano is another player that i do like, he's quick, with a low centre of gravity and a powerful shot, he is definitely a great asset to have in the squad. I've opted for Floyd Ayite because I feel he is the most natural winger out of those up for selection, he can be intelligent on the ball and plays some neat touches, I'm going to go for him.

Rui Fonte is a bit of a mystery, technically he is gifted, there is no doubt, but in my opinion his relatively small stature lets him down in what is a physical league, there could be an argument that Fonte is more of a number 10, which would be understandable. In my opinion, that is why Mitrovic comes in over Fonte, he is what I would call a complete forward, with the ability to drop deep to collect and work the ball towards goal, and be a poacher on the flipside!

My XI: Bettinelli, Fredericks, Kalas, Ream, Targett; McDonald, Johansen, Cairney; Ayite, Sessesgnon, Mitrovic

Aaron's XI

Lydia Campbell, HammyEnd.com

My strongest XI is quite close to what Slavisa Jokanovic has been able to field over the past couple of games and, bar Bolton, it has worked very well for us. Marcus Bettinelli for me should always play ahead of Button and the results speak for themselves there. Tim Ream and Tomas Kalas have forged a strong partnership in the centre of defence and although there is a mistake in them, together they are better options than Djalo playing with either of them. Denis Odoi has proved himself as a decent stand in, but his lack of height is worrying at CB.

Fulham under Jokanovic play best with wingbacks, and Ryan Fredericks and Matty Target get the nod for me. Targetts home debut against Nottingham Forest was brilliant, bar a few poor final balls, and shows why he is so highly rated. Throughout the start of the season when Fulham were struggling, Fredericks was often our best player and should start ahead of Christie for now at least.

(Image: Paul Burgman)

In the midfield, Kevin McDonald is our anchor and was the sort of player missing from Fulham during the relegation year and the two seasons that followed. By breaking up play in front of the defence, McDonald has been our underrated saviour this season and last. Despite some difficult games this year, I would still go for Stefan Johansen next in centre midfield playing alongside Tom Cairney. Johansen looks a better player beside Cairney, which again highlights the importance of our captain going forward. Norwood has quality, but I think he does Cairney's job well when needed, but isn't quite as affective when standing in for Johansen.

Cairney himself is the heart beat of the Fulham team that wants promotion. Although we have played without him a lot this season because of injury, I would always have him on when available.

Ryan Sessegnon has made the left wing position his and I just think that we have to enjoy him while we can! He seems to have already formed a promising partnership with Targett so it will be exciting to see how they do in the run in.

Lucas Piazon has the gile and passion that is required for promotion so I would have him starting at right wing.

Up front is the difficult decision but I would go with Mitrovic there if fully fit. This is purely down to the fact that he is proven in England while Kamara and Fonte are still finding their feet. That and the fact that he would probably run through a brick wall for fellow country man Jokanovic is why he gets the nod.

My XI: Bettinelli, Fredericks, Ream, Kalas, Targett, McDonald, Johansen, Cairney, Piazon, Mitrovic, Sessegnon

Ryan O'Donovan's starting XI

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-fulham-strongest-team-14277249

WhiteJC

U23s Travel to Stoke

Peter Grant's Under-23s are back in action for the first time in two weeks this Saturday as they travel to Stoke City. Kick off is 2pm at the Bet365 Stadium.

The Whites sit fifth in the table on the back of two consecutive losses to West Bromwich Albion away, followed by top of the table Blackburn Rovers at Motspur Park.

Stoke are second from bottom in 11th position, with one win in their last seven league matches. However, the Potters did win their last match when they hosted Middlesbrough in a 3-2 victory.

These two sides met back in October in the reverse fixture at Motspur Park where Fulham ran out 2-1 winners.

Fulham conceded early on in the second minute and were forced to mount a comeback.

Rob Atkinson headed his first goal for the Club to pull the Whites level, before Elijah Adebayo scored the winner from the penalty spot just before halftime.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/february/16/u23s-travel-to-stoke

WhiteJC

Steve Bruce offers up a very worrying Aston Villa injury update ahead of Fulham

Aston Villa team news includes updates on key pair ahead of Fulham

Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce has confirmed the club have concerns about key pair Jack Grealish and Albert Adomah ahead of tomorrow's crunch promotion clash with Fulham.

In-form Villa head to the capital to take on Slavisa Jokanovic's Fulham looking to win eight successive league games for the first time since 1975.

But they may be without two of their star performers with Grealish and Adomah carrying knocks.

Adomah was struggling with a hamstring problem midway through the Second City derby but recovered to fire in the decisive first against Birmingham City.

Grealish is also carrying a slight knock and Bruce confirmed both players will be assessed ahead of the match at Craven Cottage.

He said: "There's a doubt about Adomah and there's a doubt about Grealish unfortunately. We'll see how they both are later today."

Adomah is Villa's top scorer this season with 14 goals while Grealish has been inspirational since his return from a freak kidney injury.

Villa have an otherwise fully fit squad with just long term absentees Jonathan Kodjia (ankle) and Jed Steer (shoulder) on the sidelines.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-jack-grealish-injury-14297680

WhiteJC

Are Fulham top two contenders if they beat Aston Villa?

The race for promotion is beginning to hot up in the Championship.

Fulham host Aston Villa in the Championship this weekend, in a crucial game which could have a big say on who will be promoted.

Aston Villa climbed into second spot with victory against bitter rivals Birmingham City last weekend, while the Cottagers are in fifth place and on a run of nine games unbeaten.

Fulham are just seven points behind Villa in second so a win could see them close the gap to four points with 14 games still to play.

Derby County, who are third, are a point behind Villa but have played a game more so, if Slavisa Jokanovic's side beat the Villans, they will go within three points of the Rams. Cardiff City are also on the same number of points as Derby, they host Middlesbrough this weekend and Tony Pulis's side will not be easy to take three points from.

Fulham went on a similar run in the second half of last season to climb into the play-off places, so they have proved they are capable of sustaining a run of form. Should they produce a similar run to last season, they could really threaten the top two positions and victory over the team who currently hold the second automatic promotion spot will certainly be a huge statement of intent.

Jokanovic will not want to suffer play-off heartache for a second consecutive season and will have what has happened to Sheffield Wednesday after their two failed play-off campaigns in the back of his mind, potentially using that as motivation to push for second place rather than look over their shoulders.

One thing is for certain: a Fulham win will blow the promotion race wide open.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/15/pj-are-fulham-top-two-contenders-if-they-beat-aston-villa/

WhiteJC

Matchday Live: Aston Villa

Overseas fans can enjoy a live stream of Saturday's Sky Bet Championship encounter against Aston Villa at Craven Cottage.

If you are already a fulhamfctv subscriber you can pick up a match pass for just £5, while non-subscribers can access the stream for £10, and also enjoy video content on the official website for 48 hours from the point of purchase!

Please note that you must be abroad and be using an overseas bank account to access the stream.

The stream will kick in around 30 minutes prior to kick-off, with a number of links to the correct page across the website. Alternatively, head to www.fulhamfc.com/live to view the game. We recommend watching via Google Chrome.

For our supporters based in the UK and Ireland, you can listen to full live commentary from Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid, with a monthly subscription. 

Any fans who experience problems on a matchday with your stream please contact > [email protected].

Fans who have experienced issues accessing the stream in the past are advised to have a look at our streaming tips page which we constructed following feedback from supporters, while our FAQs are available here.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/february/16/matchday-live-aston-villa

WhiteJC

Aston Villa In Focus

An update on limited ticket availability, Villa's team news and form, Grosvenor Casinos' match odds, and an SW6 weather forecast ahead of Saturday's crunch fixture at Craven Cottage.

Possible opposition absentees

Jonathan Kodjia - ankle injury

Jed Steer - shoulder injury

Albert Adomah - hamstring injury

Jack Grealish - calf injury
Tickets

Tickets for this match are now extremely limited. None will be available to buy on the day, so secure yours now to avoid disappointment.
Weather

A sunny day is anticipated in SW6 this Saturday with temperatures around nine degrees at kick-off.
Pre-match

Fans can pick up a pint of Carlsberg or Somersby for £3.50 (usually £4.80) up until 2pm in the Hammersmith, Riverside and Johnny Haynes Stands.
Live stream

Overseas subscribers to fulhamfctv will be able to watch a live stream of this game. Follow this link for all available packages, and head to www.fulhamfc.com/live from 2.30pm (GMT) to view..
Grosvenor Casinos match odds

Fulham: 23/20

Draw: 23/10

Aston Villa: 23/10
Previous five results

Aston Villa 2-0 Birmingham City (Championship)

Aston Villa 3-2 Burton Albion (Championship)

Sheffield United 0-1 Aston Villa (Championship)

Aston Villa 3-1 Barnsley (Championship)

Nottingham Forest 0-1 Aston Villa (Championship)

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/february/16/aston-villa-in-focus

WhiteJC

Double Blow For Bruce Ahead Of Fulham?

Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce has revealed a huge double blow in our preparations for Fulham this weekend.

Villa head to Craven Cottage on Saturday to face Fulham and our aim is to consolidate that second spot in the Championship table and hopefully take an eighth straight victory for the first time in over four decades.

However Bruce has doubts over both Albert Adomah and Jack Grealish this weekend. Adomah was substituted at the death of the derby affair over Birmingham City last weekend and Grealish went off five minutes ahead of him and they are both doubts with slight knocks at this moment in time.

When Bruce's press conference filters through they'll obviously be more details about their issues, but they are set to be assessed late on and given the form they have been showing in our recent winning streak, losing either, let alone both, would be a massive complication.

Maybe time for someone else to step up and become the hero.

Read more: http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7524332#ixzz57LVKcv00

WhiteJC

Fulham v Aston Villa
SAT 17 Feb 2018   Championship
Venue: Craven Cottage

Fulham are on a nine-match unbeaten run in the Championship, while opponents Aston Villa have won their past seven league games

Fulham will assess captain Tom Cairney, who featured from the bench against Bolton, after a niggling knee injury.

Boss Slavisa Jokanovic has no other injury worries as he looks to extend their nine-match unbeaten league run.

Aston Villa will monitor the fitness of Albert Adomah, who nursed a tight hamstring through last Sunday's 2-0 derby win over Birmingham City.

They also have a concern over last weekend's man of the match Jack Grealish, who has a calf injury.

On-loan Bournemouth striker Lewis Grabban may feature again after making his debut off the bench against Blues.

Fit-again Gabby Agbonlahor could be back in the squad as Villa chase an eighth-successive Championship win against a Fulham side who have won their last six consecutive home league matches.

SAM's prediction
Home win 49%   Draw 28%   Away win 23%

SAM, the Sports Analytics Machine, is a super-computer built by @ProfIanMcHale of the University of Liverpool.

Match facts
    Fulham have lost just one of their last 11 home league games against Villa - 2-0 Premier League defeat in January 2010.
    Villa, who won 2-1 at home to Fulham in October, have not achieved a league double over the Cottagers since the 2009-10 season.
    Fulham have not won seven home league matches in a row since a run of eight back between May and October 2000.
    Villa's seven-game winning run in the league is their best since 1990. They last won eight league games in a row in April 1975 under Ron Saunders when they won promotion back to the top flight.
    Only Sheffield United's Billy Sharp (15) has won more points from Championship goals scored this season than Villa's Albert Adomah (14).
    Fulham have won more points from losing positions this season than any other side in the division (13).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43012809

WhiteJC

Aston Villa sweating on fitness of key duo ahead of Fulham clash

Aston Villa could be without Jack Grealish and Albert Adomah for tomorrow's clash with Fulham, with the attacking duo struggling with injury ahead of the trip to Craven Cottage.

The club's official Twitter account (@AVFCOfficial) have moved to share an injury update ahead of tomorrow's clash, confirming that Grealish and Adomah could be unavailable to Steve Bruce.

No information on the duo's problems have been revealed, but Villa have confirmed that they will asses both players later today and judge whether they will be involved against Fulham.

Both have been key for Villa in recent weeks, producing fine performances against Birmingham City in last weekend's Second City derby, with Adomah on the scoresheet and Grealish putting in a Man of the Match contribution.

That victory last weekend moved Villa into second, with Bruce's side grasping control of the race for the second automatic promotion place.

Villa have won seven consecutive Championship fixtures to move ahead of the chasing pack, but this weekend come up against a Fulham side, who are also in fine form heading into this weekend's fixture.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side have won five of their last six fixtures, moving into the top-six.

The Verdict 

Without Grealish and Adomah, Villa's attack will look considerably weaker this weekend.

The duo have been magnificent in Villa's recent run, and Bruce will be concerned if he has to head to Craven Cottage without them.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/aston-villa-sweating-on-fitness-of-key-duo-ahead-of-fulham-clash/

WhiteJC

'Automatic promotion push over' – Aston Villa fans disappointed with key update

Aston Villa have a great opportunity to stretch their lead in the promotion race this weekend, with Steve Bruce's side travelling to Craven Cottage to face an in-form Fulham.

A run of seven consecutive victories has moved Villa into second, with Bruce's side now in pole position for the second automatic promotion place heading into the final 15 fixtures of the season.

This weekend's clash with Fulham, who have won five of their last six, hands Villa an opportunity to stretch that lead, however, Bruce is faced with a number of key injury problems.

@AVFCOfficial have confirmed this morning that Jack Grealish and Albert Adomah are both doubts for the trip to London.

Grealish and Adomah have been key for Villa in recent weeks, with the attacking duo producing an impressive performance in last weekend's Second City derby.

As expected, the news on the duo's injury troubles haven't been well received by Villa's supporters...

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/automatic-promotion-push-over-aston-villa-fans-disappointed-with-key-update/

WhiteJC

Aiming High

After donning black and white during a successful promotion charge last season, Aleksandar Mitrović hopes lightning can strike twice in three months' time.

The Newcastle United loanee helped the Magpies reach the top flight last term - and he's confident the Whites can follow suit in May.

When asked if Fulham can finish in the top two, his response was emphatic. "Of course, why not? In the next two weeks, we have really tough games against direct opponents and the gap between us is seven points.

"This is nothing. If we win most of the games, we have a big chance to get automatically promoted."

To read the full interview with Mitrović, in which he discusses growing up in Serbia, his days as a ballboy and his long-term admiration for Slaviša Jokanović, pick up a programme on Saturday.

Other highlights from the publication - named Programme Monthly's 'Championship Programme of the Season' - include:

Chairman Shahid Khan discusses the January transfer window
    Slaviša Jokanović, Tom Cairney and Gordon Davies pen their latest columns
    Simon Morgan recalls a famous FA Cup win at Aston Villa
    Matt Targett takes our nine-dart challenge
    And Rodney Marsh talks us through a picture from his Fulham days

Priced £3.50, the 100-page publication is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Or order it online from ProgrammeMaster where you can also purchase past editions and take out a half-season subscription.

For just £1.99, the programme is also available as a digital download on your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, PC or Mac via Pocketmags from 1am on Saturday morning.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/february/16/aleksandar-mitrovic-aston-villa-programme

WhiteJC

Fulham v Aston Villa preview

Tom Cairney of Fulham

Fulham captain Tom Cairney could be in contention for a return to the starting line-up against in-form Aston Villa.

Cairney made his comeback from two matches out with a knee problem as a second-half substitute in last weekend's 1-1 draw at Bolton. Cottagers boss Slavisa Jokanovic must now decide whether to make changes, with his side having won four out of their last five Sky Bet Championship matches to cement their place in the top six.

Aleksandar Mitrovic is another in contention to come into the team, the Serbian forward having made a couple of substitute appearances since his deadline day loan move from Newcastle.

Aston Villa will monitor Albert Adomah ahead of the trip to west London. The Ghana winger, who scored in the 2-0 derby win over Birmingham last weekend, has been carrying a hamstring problem.

Australian Mile Jedinak will be hoping to retain his place in midfield ahead of Birkir Bjarnason, while on-loan Bournemouth striker Lewis Grabban should also feature again. Fit-again Gabriel Agbonlahor could also be back in the squad as Villa chase an eighth successive Championship win, but forward Jonathan Kodjia (ankle) and goalkeeper Jed Steer (shoulder) remain sidelined.

Opta stats
Fulham have lost just one of their last 11 home league games against the Villans (W5 D5), 2-0 defeat in the Premier League in January 2010.

Aston Villa haven't achieved a league double over the Cottagers since the 2009/10 season.

Fulham haven't won seven consecutive home league matches since a run of eight back in October 2000.

Only Sheffield United's Billy Sharp (15) has won more points thanks to his goals scored in the Championship this season than Aston Villa's Albert Adomah (14).

Fulham have won more points from losing positions this season than any other side in the division (13).

Aston Villa have won seven consecutive league matches for the first time since February 1990. The Villans last won eight league games in a row back in April 1975 under Ron Saunders when they won promotion to the top-flight.

Prutton's prediction

This should be a great battle between two of the form teams in the Sky Bet Championship right now, and arguably Aston Villa's biggest test for quite a while.

Steve Bruce's side have been excellent lately and momentum is really on their side at the moment. Fulham have been brilliant lately and it's a tough game to call, but I think Villa will just nab victory.

David Prutton predicts: 0-1 (9/1 with Sky Bet)

http://www.skysports.com/football/fulham-vs-a-villa/preview/374994

WhiteJC

Lydia's Villa Preview
by Lydia on February 16, 2018

Hands up if you are nervous/excited/can't stop thinking about tomorrow? I'm sure I'm not the only one with my hand waving in the air. I get excited about every football match, but this one has brought back feelings on a deeper level, the realisation that we could be on the brink of a promotion run in. Tomorrow we kick off a run of six games, all against promotion rivals, so by 1700hrs on the 10th March, our promotion bid could be extremely strong, or it could be left in tatters. Obviously, there are still plenty of games after the Preston game on the 10th March, but I'd say that we need to be in contention by then. If we don't pick up points against the teams around us then we will be playing Championship football next season again, and most likely without our most prized assets.

Tomorrow's game is arguably the toughest that we will face, given the strength of Villa and their seven-game winning run. If we were to win, then we will be only four points behind Villa, currently in 2nd. I'd say that if we lose tomorrow then we are out of the race for the second automatic promotion spot while awin keeps us in the race, but even then it would be a stretch. The focus for now should be solidifying a top 6 finish and if after the next run of games it is in our sights to finish 2nd then we can adjust the target.

Aston Villa are currently very much on song, with seven league wins in a row. They last lost in the league on Boxing Day against Brentford at Griffin Park, but since then they have won every game, bar an FA Cup defeat to Peterborough, and have scored 16 goals along the way. They have plenty of fire power with Albert Adomah, Lewis Grabban, Scott Hogan and Jonathan Kodjia all able to find the back of the net while Robert Snodgrass, Jack Grealish and Conor Hourihane pull the strings in midfield. Their strength in the midfield is exceptional, but with our own midfield also very strong I'd say that whoever wins the midfield battle, wins the match.

With Fulham's left and right back so prone to attacking, we have to be very careful that we don't leave Ream and Kalas isolated. Our defensive game needs to be perfect tomorrow. Adomah has 14 goals this season in all competitions so someone will need to be on him like a wart sticker all day long. Kevin McDonald's role tomorrow will be to sit in front of the defence and nullify whatever attack comes his way. Don't be surprised if he doesn't come marauding forward as Villa are quick on the break, so we need him to hold back.

As strong as Villa are going forward, I fully believe that we have the attacking prowess to cause their aged and static defence a lot of problems. If Mitrovic is fit enough I'd love to see him given a go to terrorize Terry and Chester, but if not, a front three of Ryan Sessegnon, Abou Kamara and Lucas Piazon should cause enough headaches in there. I'd go for Kamara over Fonte as I think Kamara's strength and power would work better against a static defence than Fonte's silkiness. I like Fonte, but his size would play right into Terry and Chester's hands.

Above all tomorrow, we have to play our game. Villa are strong, yes, but they are also quite uninspiring for me. They don't really blow teams away, a 5-0 thumping of Bristol City aside. They won comfortably at Birmingham last weekend, but the Blues are one of the poorest sides I've seen this season, and there is no way Fulham will give them as much time on the ball. It's going to be tough, but Villa haven't won at Craven Cottage since 2010. To be perfectly honest, I draw would be a decent result but we have it in us to win.

#COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/02/lydias-villa-preview/

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Aston Villa preview: Can Aston Villa make the eight by beating Fulham?
It's time - a day of reckoning approaches for Aston Villa as they take on Fulham

It seems like Villa are batting 1000 right now. They can't miss anything chucked their way, and win after win seems to be piling up for Aston Villa.

Still, they've got some REALLY big hurdles to overcome before anything is guaranteed, we all know too well how fast things can change in this league. I simply can't believe I'm saying this, but Aston Villa have a chance to win EIGHT GAMES IN A ROW today.

However, a resilient Fulham side face them, and they might have one eye on second place themselves if they can continue climbing. They are running out of time though, and need to make a big statement.

What to know about Aston Villa
How good are Steve Bruce's men right now? Their pressing style of play suits them down to the ground. Villa are more than happy to give the ball up and let teams screw up on their own time. Stats? pfft. Give them xG, goals, assists and SOD your possession. Villa play direct and are lethal right now, making up for underperforming earlier in the season.

Are Villa overperforming right now? It's possible, but still - it brings a bit of needed balance to their season. This stability is nice!

Make no mistake - this is a must win game for Aston Villa who really need to build up as much of a gap as they can between themselves and the other pretenders to the 2nd place spot. Derby dropped points against Sheffield Wednesday, and Cardiff look to be back on track. A win is hugely important for Villa, not just because it's three points, but because it extends their lead over the top 6. A loss will condense the race for second place to uncomfortable size.

It's going to be a close game, both teams are really developing a style - so individual talent will win the day. I rate Villa in that aspect, they've got talent in spades.

That's all lead by Jack Grealish who made a statement to English football when he buried Birmingham City with a mature and commanding midfield performance underpinned by grace and resilience. Of course, Grealish is an injury doubt for the match. That is a problem.

My man to watch for this game is Scott Hogan. How did he not score against Blues? His intelligence is only second to his desire to be the man for his team. This is the kind of guy you'd want as a centre-back, with that attitude. But no, he'll be leading the line for Villa, and he MUST make the best of any chances that come his way. He's not called Scotty Goals for nothing, though.

What to know about Fulham
Fulham have really come back from the wilderness. After a rather insecure start to the season, Fulham have bounced into promotion contention, and seem to be a favourite for the playoff spots.

Make no mistake though, the pressure is on. Fulham know that they are capable of a meltdown. The type of which will end their season early. They deserve to be back in the Premier League, but out of the current top-six, who doesn't?

If Tom Cairney plays, expect him to be a danger. The real threat will be from Ryan Sessegnon, the wonderkid can instantly tear a team apart, and Fulham's patient style belies the crashing threat that this guy can bring. Ahmed Elmohamady will need to be on top form to contend with this young man.

Prediction
3-2, either way. It's going to be close, but which team scores that third goal? I couldn't even tell you.

https://7500toholte.sbnation.com/2018/2/16/17017566/fulham-vs-aston-villa-preview-can-aston-villa-make-the-eight-against-fulham

WhiteJC

Key Aston Villa players in doubt for Fulham clash as Steve Bruce gives injury update

The Cottagers and Villa are the Championship's in form sides

Aston Villa might have to do without key duo Jack Grealish and Albert Adomah as they head to Craven Cottage searching for an eighth consecutive victory.

Fulham themselves have gone nine unbeaten ahead of the battle between promotion hopefuls.

The midfielders played as Villa beat Birmingham 2-0 last time out with Adomah grabbing a goal but both carried knocks and were substituted during the fixture.

Manager Steve Bruce said: "There's a doubt about Adomah and there's a doubt about Grealish unfortunately. We'll see how they both are later today."

Ghanaian Adomah is the Midlands side's top scorer this term with 14 goals while Grealish has been in good form since his return from a kidney injury.

Villa have little else in the way of injuries problems with Bruce having a full squad to pick from other than long term absentees Jonathan Kodjia (ankle) and Jed Steer (shoulder).

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/key-aston-villa-players-doubt-14298497

WhiteJC

Villa fans react to Grealish and Adomah injuries

Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce has revealed that key duo Jack Grealish and Albert Adomah are doubts for the trip to Craven Cottage to face Fulham on Saturday, and fans have gone into meltdown on Twitter.

Adomah was a goalscorer against Birmingham City as Villa ran out comfortable 2-0 winners in the Second City Derby last weekend, with Grealish providing the key pass for his goal.

Grealish was named man-of-the-match on the day after a commandeering performance in midfield, but as reported by the Birmingham Mail, the youngster is now a doubt for this weekend after picking up a knock.

Adomah was reportedly struggling with a hamstring injury during the second half of the Birmingham clash, and is also doubtful to face the Cottagers in a double blow.

"There's a doubt about Adomah and there's a doubt about Grealish unfortunately. We'll see how they both are later today," Bruce said on Thursday.

Villa are going in search of their eighth win in a row in the Championship, with the club now sitting in second place in the table after their amazing recent run.

Opponents Fulham are also in good form having won seven of their last nine games, but a disappointing draw to Bolton last time out halted their charge in it's tracks.

Fans have taken to Twitter to react to the injury news, and many are seriously worried about the duos' absence.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/02/twitter/villa-fans-react-to-grealish-and-adomah-injuries/

WhiteJC

Aston Villa injury worry: Dynamic Duo may miss Fulham match
Jack Grealish and Albert Adomah to assessed Friday

The medical room that had mostly empty — now has welcomed two key members of the starting lineup — Albert Adomah and Jack Grealish. And no one is happy about it.

Sad.

The news about Adomah was not a surprise because the winger looked like he was not going to be able to finish the first half in the Blues match — but fought through it to a very impressive performance. Jack was subbed off late in the second half to a huge ovation. Apparently that may not have been the sole point though.

As we wait for a medical update — which the blog will post as soon as we get it — try not to let your mind wonder to the worst theories. Think positive thoughts — like the fact that no amputation is likely. See! Don't you feel better? (no, not really)

On-loan youngster Josh Onomah would likely be the replacement for Jack. Somewhere in Birmingham James Rushton is shouting Callum O'Hare's name — but based on Bruce's previous moves the Spurs player will get the call.

The left wing position has more options. It could give Bruce an answer to the debate of who to start between Mile Jedinak vs Birkir Bjarnason — BOTH! Bjarnason has at times played on the left side (along with most of the positions in the midfield). It certainly would not be a like-for-like switch but would give Bruce the opportunity to put both the players on the pitch — who have played well enough to be in the starting lineup. It would be a risky decision though — forcing the Icelandic man to once again change positions when he has settled into the holding/defense role so well.

Personally — I'd like to see André Green get the call. The young winger has missed most of the season with injury issues having not played in a first team match since September. He may not be healthy again though. He bagged two goals in a reserve match in January — but has not appeared in any matches since (at least to the best as I can tell because the coverage of U23 is not extensive). Green could slot right in and Villa could keep similar shape that has been so successful of late.

Other options include: Neil Taylor pushing up, Henri Lansbury playing wide, or throwing a striker out to the wing and hoping for the best (please not Gabby). Bruce could also decide — especially if both Jack and Albert miss out — to totally change the formation/tactics and try to catch Fulham off guard — one such example would be Onomah out left and two up top.

But for now — we wait and standby for hard news.

https://7500toholte.sbnation.com/2018/2/16/17019544/aston-villa-injury-worry-dynamic-duo-may-miss-fulham-match

WhiteJC

Fulham face 'massive' test for Premier League promotion, says Matt Targett

On Targett: The on-loan Southampton defender scored against Bolton last week Rex

Fulham play six of the top eight teams in the Championship in the space of three weeks — and Matt Targett believes this run will show if they can mount a serious push for automatic promotion.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side are fifth after going unbeaten in nine Championship matches and host second-placed Aston Villa on Saturday.

Fulham, who won five League games in a row before drawing at Bolton last weekend, travel to Bristol City next Wednesday before a home game against runaway leaders Wolves. They then play three more of their promotion rivals: Derby away, Sheffield United at home and Preston away.

Confidence is high at Craven Cottage and Targett says Fulham are ready to make a statement to the rest of the division as they bid to return to the top flight after a four-year absence.

"The next six games are massive against teams around us," said the on-loan Southampton defender. "I guess the run will decide where we end up. If we do well in that then I think we are going to be right up there. If we take a lot of points from these games it will send a massive statement out to the rest of the League that we are serious and we want to get back to the Premier League. It will be tough but it is exciting. Everyone here wants to give everything to get the club back into the Premier League."

Villa have won their last seven League games, thanks in part to the excellent form of Robert Snodgrass, with the on-loan West Ham winger scoring four goals in that run. Captain John Terry returned last month after breaking a metatarsal in November and will be playing in west London for the first time since leaving Chelsea last summer.

The game is the clash of the two form teams in the Championship and Targett says Fulham are looking forward to the challenge. He said: "On paper Villa have got a Premier League squad, so it will be a tough game. But we are in great form and are at home and we need to make that advantage count."

To purchase Fulham match tickets, visit: fulhamfc.com/tickets

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-face-massive-test-for-premier-league-promotion-says-matt-targett-a3768176.html

WhiteJC

3 Things Aston Villa Need To Do To Beat Fulham Away

And here we go again. Another match and another three things Aston Villa must do to beat our opposition.

This time, a tasty trip to Craven Cottage to extend our winning streak to eight on the trot, v Fulham (well, it would be v Fulham really wouldn`t it, what with me saying it`s at Craven Cottage and all!)

Shut up Fear, just get on with it...!

3 Things To Beat Fulham:

Silence Sessegnon (and then buy him in the summer!)

Ryan Sessegnon is certainly the man we need to silence.

He's only 17 but has scored 11 goals in 31 games this season from left wing (similar stats to our own Uncle Albert).

He's also just coming off the back of winning both the PFA Championship Player of the Month for January and also the EFL Championship Player of the Month for January.

Press Fulham

Press the high as Fulham always faff around at the back and play themselves into trouble.

If we play like we did v Blues, putting them constantly on the back foot, we`ve got a great chance.

Or as Villan57 delicately put it "Wait for them to cock up their tippy tappy stuff and pounce like Lions !"

Don`t get too cocky

Confidence is high. We just need to make sure - and Bruce will do this - confidence doesn`t turn into complacency.

Come on you Villa boys.

Any other things we need to do Vital Villans? What would your three be?

Read more: http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7524337#ixzz57LcKDkB8