https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - VAR Farce

Started by Whitesideup, February 17, 2018, 08:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitesideup

Man U goal disallowed for offside after referral to VAR

I don't get it.

1) I thought VAR had to be referred when there was a clear problem. No matter which way you looked at it, there was no "obvious" mistake.

2) The decision was right. If the player was off-side, (and I don't think he was) it was by a matter of millimetres; for those who speak in old money, maybe an inch or two; decisions for off-side should not need advanced technology to narrow the decision to a such a narrow margin. 

3) It took ages. If you are over-ruling obvious mistakes, it should take a few seconds at most.

This doesn't mean that VAR can't work, but the incompetents running it now mean that it is poor and potentially very unfair.

fulhamben

I'm more worried that you think a couple of millimetres is an inch or two.  Bet youre hung like a 🐴 in your mind 😉
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Whitesideup

Quote from: fulhamben on February 17, 2018, 08:50:32 PM
I'm more worried that you think a couple of millimetres is an inch or two.  Bet youre hung like a 🐴 in your mind 😉

I am using "a couple" in its generic form, rather than the specific of two; maybe a little liberal with the interpretation extending to 20 or 30, but hey ho ...

HV71

YankeeJim

One of the few things that the NFL does right is instant replays. The review and the decision are made by off site people. They're quick and usually right. That way the ref team doesn't have the option of saving their embarrassment.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Whitesideup on February 17, 2018, 08:56:44 PM

I am using "a couple" in its generic form, rather than the specific of two; maybe a little liberal with the interpretation extending to 20 or 30, but hey ho ...

Also, think of a couple in the sense of, " What do you mean dear? I've just been out for a couple of pints."

"But you've been gone for three days..."

Logicalman

Quote from: Whitesideup on February 17, 2018, 10:20:45 PM
Quote from: Whitesideup on February 17, 2018, 08:56:44 PM

Also, think of a couple in the sense of, " What do you mean dear? I've just been out for a couple of pints."

"But you've been gone for three days..."

Then that was a pretty good weekend, in my books  064.gif
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

HatterDon

I've said this before. In the Bundesliga, they've been using it all season long. It seldom takes longer than 15 seconds to get the VAR completed. The flow of the game isn't disturbed. In England, it's only been used for some FA Cup matches. Once it's established, it'll be almost unnoticable after a month.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

aaronmcguigan

is the long term goal of VAR to roll it out to the rich and cushty? Or is it only going to be for example cup competitions and premier league?
Do they actually think VAR can be rolled out to every ground in the land? Or will it just be the privileged few leagues or grounds?

filham

Offside is difficult to get right , the problem being have ing to watch two or more players at the same instant, Over the years linesmen have done well and generally get it right.

You would think that a video replay would lead to an improvement but it became clear to me yesterday that the camera is in a fixed position and therefore often at an angle to the incident,.
If we are going to  use cameras to determine off sides they will have to be run up and down the touchline behind the lino, possibly mounted on rails.