Previous topic - Next topic

Who would win over 90 minutes?

2017/18 team, current form
12 (66.7%)
2016/17 team, end of season form
6 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Sgt Fulham

Just a hypothetical question. I love how we're playing right now but an almost nostalgic part of me thinks we haven't reached the performances of last season. What are your thoughts? Assume no injuries or suspensions.

Whitesideup

We did have some marvellous performances last year esp Newcastle and Huddersfield away. But yesterday's game was a very impressive all-round performance. I thought the back 4 were outstanding; the midfield dominated; and we were a constant threat to what was supposed to be one of the best defences in the league. And away at Cardiff - well, they didn't look as if they were in the same division as us. We have more depth and variety now with Ayite, Fonte, Mitrovic and AK47 up front, and good support with Piazon, Kebano, and Norwood in midfield. All of those seven would be in practically every other Championship team.  And Targett's arrival has strengthened the back 4.

Brightster#2

I would say this years team. Just because of the depth and how this season we can grind results out, when last season not as much. Also people on here complaining how we hadn't replaced Malone, well we have now. Targett is fantastic. Better crossing, better defensively than Malone and faster. Aluko has been doing crap at reading, and we have ayite, kebano, piazon, ojo, and of needed AK who in my opinion are all better. And mitrovic is what we all wished Martin would be. He really reminds me of a bobby Zamora kinda player

filham

The sparkle of last season is not now as bright, we have missed a fit Cairney  and a lively Aluko but we must wait until the end of the season before making a comparison . It looks as if Cairney may have shaken off his dodgy knee and we may have a real target man in Mitrovic so there are hopes that we could become better than last season.

Twig

Quote from: Statto on February 18, 2018, 03:54:44 PM
11 v 11 it would be very close, perhaps last season's team just shades it, but if you're talking about the full squad then it has to be the current team all day long. to have the likes of odoi, kebano, norwood, piazon and kamara all on the bench, with all the different tactical options that gives you, puts us in a really strong position currently IMO

Yes, it was a fantastic bench yesterday, I agree.  But I would shade it to the current team because I feel the current back 4 is more solid (and I didn't expect to be saying that a few months back!).

Tabby

I think the current team is slightly better considering the improvement on Sess from last season, having a couple of strikers that want to play and Targett being adequate as a Malone replacement. Aluko is the big miss from last season, but I think Ayite, Kebano, Ojo and Piazon are adequate replacements.

MrFFC

This year we are better for sure. We can grind out results. Signings of Targett & Mitrovic have taken us to another level
Come on you Whites!! :)