watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Goalkeeper pecking order

Started by cmg, February 19, 2018, 12:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmg

The Club has announced that Magnus Norman has signed a contract extension.

The couple of times I've seen him for the u23s this season he's been quite impressive.

The 16 year old Luca Ashby-Hammond has had a spectacular season, saving (and scoring!) penalties, and has been fast-tracked into the u23 level. He has certainly leap-frogged his elder brother, Taye, who seems to have disappeared.

Meanwhile Marek Rodak (also 21) has become a favourite at Rotherham, he was MoM on Saturday and they regret that they will lose him even if they do get promotion.

It's good for us to have such strength in depth. But it does look as if Button is in danger of being squeezed out next season. In my view there isn't much between him and Betts. He tends to be unfairly criticized by some, but I do feel that Betts is superior in several respects and his age would also be against him.

I wonder what the current pecking order might actually be.

Facts Not Fiction

I do feel that both Button and Betts will be moving on next season.

Don't think Button will ever have the fans on his side, and should move on, mainly for himself.

Betts has improved this season, but still has a real lack of control of his box. I don't think he'll be good enough for us next season, be in pushing promotion campaign again or in the PL. Will he want to sit on the bench? No. And I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to leave.

Rodak and Norman I know not much about. But I do think we'll see a very different GK setup next season.

e4b

TBH think Betts has improved a lot this year.He is much better at commanding the box,dealing with crosses and distribution. Has always been a good shot stopper. Would be happy to see him stay,for a keeper he is still quite young and i can see him improving even more

filham

Well all we know is at the moment it is Betts 1 and Button 2. A couple of errors by Betts and those positions could be reversed,
However Betts is improving by the match and come next season he may well have established himself as our clear number1.

Fulham1959

Based on last season and this, Betts seems to be a good luck charm for the team.  His win/loss ratio must be very favourable.

Frackleheath

I think (hope) it will be Betts no.1 with Rodak as back up, next season and Norman going out on loan. Ashby-Hammond to u23's.

RaySmith

Betts has been great for us  recently, and is a real Fulham man.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Fulham1959 on February 19, 2018, 02:00:11 PM
Based on last season and this, Betts seems to be a good luck charm for the team.  His win/loss ratio must be very favourable.

We have 45 points (14-3-1) from 18 league matches with Betts in goal between last season and this one. (Plus 1 point from two playoff matches ... sigh.)

hovewhite

Would start Betts over button everyday and not checked stats(not boverd stats wise) defence looks more composed,(with button they look more frank spencer esque)

toshes mate

Just happy to see the clean sheets not troubling the laundry staff....

fluffyninja

I'd love to know or have seen what influenced Slav's decision in pre season training or pre season friendlies to restore Button to the no1 , sadly I have quite a few Brentford fans as friends and they all said "Good shot stopper , average at everything else"

The run at the end of last season should've nailed Betts place in the team and while I prefer him I was actually quite positive when Button started for the first couple of months , but when his so called strength could no longer be relied on I think Slav has made the right decision again.

irishfulham

I think Betts got injured pre season?

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Denver Fulham on February 19, 2018, 05:06:15 PM
Quote from: Fulham1959 on February 19, 2018, 02:00:11 PM

We have 45 points (14-3-1) from 18 league matches with Betts in goal between last season and this one. (Plus 1 point from two playoff matches ... sigh.)

If the club keep that pace up with Betts in goal the playoffs become a moot point...

049:gif

Barrett487

With Marcus's form and improvement this year, I would expect him to consolidate his position as #1. The nagging doubt I have is, is he good enough if we get promoted? If we fail to get promotion I'd stick with him, he's performed well enough, but his distribution and command of his area needs to continue to improve as he gains more and more experience. I'd love him to be our keeper for many years, being home grown, but the ball's in his court.

Twig

Quote from: Barrett487 on February 20, 2018, 12:46:09 AM
With Marcus's form and improvement this year, I would expect him to consolidate his position as #1. The nagging doubt I have is, is he good enough if we get promoted? If we fail to get promotion I'd stick with him, he's performed well enough, but his distribution and command of his area needs to continue to improve as he gains more and more experience. I'd love him to be our keeper for many years, being home grown, but the ball's in his court.

As you have said he is improving.  It was noticeable how good his distribution was against Villa. He also looked more decisive, one long throw out to the left wing was defence splitting! The coaches deserve a lot of credit for bringing him on and working with different arts of his game.  I didn't think I would say this but I can see that he could be good enough for the prem and how good would it be to see another one of our own make it to the top!

res

Quote from: fluffyninja on February 19, 2018, 05:23:04 PM
I'd love to know or have seen what influenced Slav's decision in pre season training or pre season friendlies to restore Button to the no1 , sadly I have quite a few Brentford fans as friends and they all said "Good shot stopper , average at everything else"

The run at the end of last season should've nailed Betts place in the team and while I prefer him I was actually quite positive when Button started for the first couple of months , but when his so called strength could no longer be relied on I think Slav has made the right decision again.

Betts was injured pre season so Button had to come in. Once there, Button had to stay until he got injured or had a recurrent loss of form/confidence...which is what happened. Betts' taking over has been at the same time as our  current run...probably no co-incidence as Betts appears to be a better team man both on and off the pitch, and is getting better (especially distribution and command of penalty area). Betts is a "Fulham" man through and through so would like him to stay...probably would be OK in the Premiership. Button is going to be surplus to requirements next year, but has been unjustly maligned as he's put in many decent performances.....his distribution cock ups have resulted from playing to orders but not quite having the skills to execute.

Twig

Quote from: res on February 20, 2018, 09:22:31 AM

Betts was injured pre season so Button had to come in. Once there, Button had to stay until he got injured or had a recurrent loss of form/confidence...which is what happened. Betts' taking over has been at the same time as our  current run...probably no co-incidence as Betts appears to be a better team man both on and off the pitch, and is getting better (especially distribution and command of penalty area). Betts is a "Fulham" man through and through so would like him to stay...probably would be OK in the Premiership. Button is going to be surplus to requirements next year, but has been unjustly maligned as he's put in many decent performances.....his distribution cock ups have resulted from playing to orders but not quite having the skills to execute.

I think that's a fair assessment.

fulhamben

Im pretty sure Betts started our first game and got injured half way through it, and that's why button got back in.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

David I

Each to their own and all that but I really cant see the love in with Betts. Maybe he is a rough diamond and will improve further - don't know.
For me his distribution is poor. More often than not, he kicks to the right and the ball either goes out of play or the closest Fulham player has to control the wayward ball.

yes we had a clean sheet on Saturday but look at the stats - 1 save. It wasn't a tough game for any keeper.

Must be something about him otherwise Joka wouldn't keep playing him..... I would like to see Smithies in the Fulham squad or perhaps, next year, someone of the Van Der Sar 'ilk' (recent, but IMO, best ever FFC keeper).

Perhaps that's why its difficult to please me on keeper choice??

Southcoastffc

Quote from: fulhamben on February 20, 2018, 11:28:33 AM

Im pretty sure Betts started our first game and got injured half way through it, and that's why button got back in.
Betts was injured in the pre-season game v Wolfsburg at the Cottage
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.