watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Can anybody make a realistic case for 2nd ? 🤔

Started by Riversider, February 19, 2018, 03:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Having looked at the run in for Cardiff City , and the lead that they already have over us I just can't see any way that we can finish above them,
They have 3 tough consecutive fixtures in April but a really nice run up to those games then a comfortable run after,
I'm clutching at straws for suggestions and would really love us to avoid the play offs and go straight up but I just can't see it,
For me too much damage was done in the first half of the season, so the play offs it is.
So come on all you glass half full types sell me your ideas for a second place finish .

grandad

14 games left. If we win them all we finish on 97 points. Should end up as Champions.
Where there's a will there's a wife

mccscratch

We have lost 2 league matches since the middle of November... of course we can catch them.

Picked up points in 14 of our last 16... we got this!   :yay:
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

Kimbleman

With fourteen matches left to go other than Wolves I think any of the next top six teams are all in with a chance. With our squad now all (more or less) fit and with the recent additions joining in January, we have as much chance as any to finish second. Don't forget Cardiff still have to play us (so a six-pointer there) and they can still fall away, Derby County too.
I believe we are now very much back in the groove after a somewhat lackluster start to the Campaign with a team of very skillful and talented players that are obviously all playing for each-other, for the manager and for the club.
Nobody can predict a match result with any certainty, although I believe with the squad now peaking at the right time, if we played Sunderland at the Stadium of light now (what a crap name for a football ground) we'd thrash the shirts off their backs.
Only two defeats and two draws (all in away fixtures) in our last sixteen matches, carry anywhere near that form forward and we could be celebrating automatic promotion. If Mitrovic starts banging a few in to add to our already prolific scoring rate Derby, Cardiff, etc will all be crapping themselves when they play us.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Kimbleman on February 19, 2018, 04:26:14 PM
Don't forget Cardiff still have to play us (so a six-pointer there) and they can still fall away, Derby County too.

We've already played Cardiff home and away. Villa, too. The only match remaining against the clubs we're chasing is at Derby.

It's not impossible, but we'll need to be incredible over the final 14 matches.

Riversider

Quote from: Denver Fulham on February 19, 2018, 04:40:36 PM
Quote from: Kimbleman on February 19, 2018, 04:26:14 PM
Don't forget Cardiff still have to play us (so a six-pointer there) and they can still fall away, Derby County too.

We've already played Cardiff home and away. Villa, too. The only match remaining against the clubs we're chasing is at Derby.

It's not impossible, but we'll need to be incredible over the final 14 matches.

Exactly, if we still had to play them I would have been more confident.

Holders

I think the answer to that will be clearer after Wednesday.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

JoelH5

The longer the season goes on, the worst it is to play teams lower in the table. Players are fighting to save their careers... Rather them than us.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

toshes mate

I really do feel that if Jokanovic regrets one thing (under his control and influence) to get away from him last season it would have been the mental discipline of the whole squad and not just the ones selected on match days.  In the play-off semis we really didn't do ourselves justice because poor refereeing shouldn't have mattered.   We were better than those performances and a key factor was our coaches inability to look deeper than his preferred starters. 

Thanks to the incoming players in January and those of the summer who have improved sufficiently to warrant consideration for selection we are stronger than we were and that is reflected in performances over the last few months.   There seems to be, through my eyes at least, a greater team ethic with much more communication running through the players.  They appear to be bonded to a common cause and that cause is not to make the same mistakes this season as we did last.  Of course 'new' mistakes can appear but so far as I am concerned we should be looking to be better against City on Wednesday evening than we were against Villa on Saturday. 

As long as we concentrate on improving and taking one game at a time then we can get to the highest position this team is capable of.  It will not matter what other teams do or don't do if we consistently do better than them.   Whether it gives us a top two slot or not remains to be seen but our target should be the highest points total we can achieve.  All our games can be won without exception.

Lighthouse

Any team can beat any team in this league. When you look at our results and look at who we struggled against. Recently Bolton. We lost to Sunderland earlier. Then we really can't predict anything.  While we are on this great run anything is possible. We have a better squad now than we did have before January. We may beat the top teams and lose against the stragglers. Time will tell.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

sunburywhite

We still have to play SUnderland at home and gice Cookie another 3 soft points
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

YankeeJim

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 19, 2018, 05:16:19 PM
Any team can beat any team in this league. When you look at our results and look at who we struggled against. Recently Bolton. We lost to Sunderland earlier. Then we really can't predict anything.  While we are on this great run anything is possible. We have a better squad now than we did have before January. We may beat the top teams and lose against the stragglers. Time will tell.

You are, of course, likely correct but we now have a beef boy to put into a bunkering opponents box which gives us another option. We didn't have that previously and all the pretty dancing about with the ball doesn't get through the last 25 yards. I'm probably being way to optimistic but that's who I am.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

filham

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 19, 2018, 05:16:19 PM
That is about the size of it, every win makes the prize closer while every defeat seems to put promotion out of our grasp.
Pleased to say there have not been many defeats lately so we can be quietly confident just now.

MayoDomo

In the previous 14 games we've gained 8 pts on 2nd. In the next 14 we just need to gain 6.
For Fulham News, Opinions, and Streaming Updates Follow me at https://twitter.com/MayoDomo!

Holders

Quote from: toshes mate on February 19, 2018, 05:06:04 PM
I really do feel that if Jokanovic regrets one thing (under his control and influence) to get away from him last season it would have been the mental discipline of the whole squad and not just the ones selected on match days.  In the play-off semis we really didn't do ourselves justice because poor refereeing shouldn't have mattered.   We were better than those performances and a key factor was our coaches inability to look deeper than his preferred starters. 

Thanks to the incoming players in January and those of the summer who have improved sufficiently to warrant consideration for selection we are stronger than we were and that is reflected in performances over the last few months.   There seems to be, through my eyes at least, a greater team ethic with much more communication running through the players.  They appear to be bonded to a common cause and that cause is not to make the same mistakes this season as we did last.  Of course 'new' mistakes can appear but so far as I am concerned we should be looking to be better against City on Wednesday evening than we were against Villa on Saturday. 

As long as we concentrate on improving and taking one game at a time then we can get to the highest position this team is capable of.  It will not matter what other teams do or don't do if we consistently do better than them.   Whether it gives us a top two slot or not remains to be seen but our target should be the highest points total we can achieve.  All our games can be won without exception.

You make some good points. To some extent SJ's reluctance to look beyond his preferred starters may have stemmed from his lack of involvement in their recruitment and either lack of confidence or, as some have suggested, wish to make a point. I don't know for certain but I'm pretty sure that after January (recruitment and clear-out) he's now happier with the spread of players in the named squad and so shouldn't have that same reluctance.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Woolly Mammoth

Having the three additions we signed in January has helped change the dynamics of the team. We are far better balanced, and are more or less at full strength. Beating Villa at the weekend was a hell of a scalp mentally and physically and taking their unbeaten run off of them has made everyone else sit up and realise we are the real deal.
Games are coming thick and fast, not just for us but for everybody.
It's going to be a hell of a scrap, it's good to be playing both Bristol City and Wolves this week, because we win, they will be pointless, and we are gaining ground on second place, and securing our position in the play offs.
Nobody will want to play us, that is for sure.
So we have a fighting chance of second, and at the same time secure our play off position.
So my feelings are that we have a solid outfit of a minimum of 20 quality players plus, who can all play football, and have bought into the way Jok wishes us to play. No passengers, no obvious weak links to worry about unduly.
I haven't felt so confident in our squad for a long time.
So my answer to the question by the OP, yes we can catch second place, if anyone can, we can.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ffc73

No. I want to enjoy a fantastic run until the end of the season but I cannot see us overhauling the points gap. MJG's stats show how hard the task is. We started the season too slow.

Top 6? Yes. Performing in the playoffs & winning at Wembley? Why not

KJS

We just have to keep going and get as many points as we can, there are 14 games with lots of twists and turns to come  049:gif

SG

Quote from: Statto on February 19, 2018, 06:40:30 PM
If the remaining 14 games go like the last 14 then the final table will look like this

Wolves 103pts
Derby 87
Fulham 87
Villa 86
Cardiff 85

F*** me - if that's the outcome I'm not sure the old ticker will stand it

filham

Quote from: SG on February 19, 2018, 06:56:50 PM
Quote from: Statto on February 19, 2018, 06:40:30 PM
If the remaining 14 games go like the last 14 then the final table will look like this

Wolves 103pts
Derby 87
Fulham 87
Villa 86
Cardiff 85

F*** me - if that's the outcome I'm not sure the old ticker will stand it
Just imagine in most of those games we would be hanging on by an odd goal in the last 10 minutes, finger nails are in for a hard time.