Main Menu

Can anybody make a realistic case for 2nd ? 🤔

Started by Riversider, February 19, 2018, 03:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedsFFC

Quote from: Riversider on April 14, 2018, 10:54:41 PM
Quote from: Statto on February 19, 2018, 08:46:35 PM
Quote from: Riversider on February 19, 2018, 08:44:08 PM
I meant to include in my original piece the fact that we've got to play 3 London derbies still, something that Cardiff don't have to deal with, two of which Millwall away and Brentford at home will be very testing games,
If we can't reach 2nd then it's important that we secure 3rd or 4th so that we have the home leg second.

yes i bet all the teams around us are glad they don't have to face such obviously insurmountable challenges as millwall away and brentford at home
[sarcastic voice]

As I said previously,  it was always going to be a massive advantage to Cardiff the fact that they haven't had to play a single local derby this season while we've had to play 6 !

That is a very fair point and one I hadn't considered.

davew

Nothing to do with local derby's, we just can't handle them!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

The Rock

Quote from: SG on February 19, 2018, 06:56:50 PM
Quote from: Statto on February 19, 2018, 06:40:30 PM
If the remaining 14 games go like the last 14 then the final table will look like this

Wolves 103pts
Derby 87
Fulham 87
Villa 86
Cardiff 85

If someone predicted Derby for automatic promotion on 87 points, then we have a chance!!!

Riversider

Quote from: Statto on April 15, 2018, 01:38:37 AM
Quote from: Riversider on April 14, 2018, 10:54:41 PM
Quote from: Statto on February 19, 2018, 08:46:35 PM
Quote from: Riversider on February 19, 2018, 08:44:08 PM
I meant to include in my original piece the fact that we've got to play 3 London derbies still, something that Cardiff don't have to deal with, two of which Millwall away and Brentford at home will be very testing games,
If we can't reach 2nd then it's important that we secure 3rd or 4th so that we have the home leg second.

yes i bet all the teams around us are glad they don't have to face such obviously insurmountable challenges as millwall away and brentford at home
[sarcastic voice]

As I said previously,  it was always going to be a massive advantage to Cardiff the fact that they haven't had to play a single local derby this season while we've had to play 6 !

Nothing to do with it being a derby, the Game today was exactly the same as the reading game, we are just jaded

Absolute nonsense,  sorry but you've  either got no understanding as to the effect of a London derby and what a great leveller they are or you can't bring yourself to say I was wrong ?
So by your very logic there is no difference between Arsenal v Tottenham, Chelsea v West Ham and Arsenal v Stoke and Chelsea v West Brom !
As I say nonsense.

ffc73

On the morning after the night before......

I can make a mathematical case for 2nd. 

I am unable to make a realistic case for 2nd

I can make a realistic case for a trip to and a win at Wembley

hovewhite

Quote from: SG on February 19, 2018, 06:56:50 PM
Quote from: Statto on February 19, 2018, 06:40:30 PM
If the remaining 14 games go like the last 14 then the final table will look like this

Wolves 103pts
Derby 87
Fulham 87
Villa 86
Cardiff 85

F*** me - if that's the outcome I'm not sure the old ticker will stand it
if we alend up playoffs championship end result.positive is more games!

Woolly Mammoth

Nobody can forecast realistically where we are going to finish, and we all have our own opinions which should be respected, and not ridiculed because they may differ from others.
A lot of the frustration I feel is caused by the fact that their equaliser could have been avoidable, especially at that stage of presidings in the last minute.
But that's football, it can be heart breaking as well as being triumphant.
Sometimes it's hard to find a cure.
It's a funny old game, and as the Millwall match approaches, the damage and bruising and hurt caused by that cruel equaliser will I hope fade.
In the meantime there's a match to be won at the New Den on Friday, and we cannot do anything about the Brentford Result, and let's hope lessons have been learned, but we can certainly influence the Millwall result.
As Atilla the Hun once said. " War does not determine who is right, but only who is left ". ⚽️
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

St Eve

I fully expect Cardiff to lose at Derby. So the question is can we pick up a point over Cardiff in the last 3. I remain positive

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 15, 2018, 07:54:52 PM
Nobody can forecast realistically where we are going to finish, and we all have our own opinions which should be respected, and not ridiculed because they may differ from others.
A lot of the frustration I feel is caused by the fact that their equaliser could have been avoidable, especially at that stage of presidings in the last minute.
It's a funny old game, and as the Millwall match approaches, the damage and bruising and hurt caused by that cruel equaliser will I hope fade.
In the meantime there's a match to be won at the New Den on Friday, and we cannot do anything about the Brentford Result, and let's hope lessons have been learned, but we can certainly influence the Millwall result.
As Atilla the Hun once said. " War does not determine who is right, but only who is left ". ⚽️
Woolly I think you should be appointed as a moderator on here, you will get my vote!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Twig

Guys, you all post sensibly (and quite often) so please, please calm down.  We didn't lose, the sky didn't fall in and we are unbeaten in 21, yes 21, matches.  We may or may not chase down Cardiff but the fact that we are having a good go is testament to our players and our manager.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on April 15, 2018, 08:43:28 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 15, 2018, 07:54:52 PM
Woolly I think you should be appointed as a moderator on here, you will get my vote!

davew, I agree with you, however, I think I may have blotted my copy book on more than one occasion to be considered for that prestigious position.
But generous of you to say so nonetheless.
There are more level headed pillars of the community on this forum that would do a splendid job if needed.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

I cannot see us losing another match this season. We still have the flavour to keep it ticking over.
Whether it will be enough will depend on turning draws into wins, three to be precise. Then see where it leads us, but winning becomes a habit, you cannot switch it on and off.
At this stage of the season, you cannot ease off and risk losing the momentum, it doesn't work like that, or succeed like that. It's better to keep up the tempo our tempo.
Let's face it some players never get to play 90 mins any more, with three subs and game managed properly, that's six players who end up not playing a full game every match.
That's Holiday Camp material.
Ted Bovis from Maplins will confirm that.

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Assume we beat Milwall on Friday we will again be in second position , two points and goal difference better off than Cardiff.If Cardiff then force a draw on Saturday and another against Derby we would still be in second position on goal difference with Sunderland and Birmingham left to play.
Close isn't it but we are still in the automatic promotion race.

alfie

One word that has massive relevance in all these posts

IF
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

LVBPTS

i'll get ridiculed here, but its in our hands. i say that in the opinion of if we win our last three, which i believe we will. i really do see Cardiff dropping points in 2 draws with Derby and Hull (i actually think Hull will beat them but im erring on the side of caution and giving Cardiff a point). that means that they will finish on 91 with us. goal difference will be the key for us where we should really looking to be making head way in the last 2 games....Sunderland at home especially. anyone else think the same or am i flogging a dead horse to some?
Supporter since 2000

grandad

It all boils down to Derby beating Cardiff. We have no leeway but to win the last 3 games. We then need Cardiff to either lose 1 more game or at most draw 1. Auto would be us on GD.

I still believe.
Where there's a will there's a wife

JoelH5

We will 95% know for sure if we have a chance for automatic promotion by 21:30 on Saturday.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

LVBPTS

Quote from: grandad on April 17, 2018, 02:13:25 PM
It all boils down to Derby beating Cardiff. We have no leeway but to win the last 3 games. We then need Cardiff to either lose 1 more game or at most draw 1. Auto would be us on GD.

I still believe.

as i said just before, the onus is on Cardiff to WIN games, two draws coupled with us winning 3 sees us ahead of them on goal difference. i do see Hull winning and then we need them to drop one point elsewhere (obviously they cant drop just one point) and then lets see how their nerve holds. if they do it, hats off to them and they are where they deserve to be after 46 games
Supporter since 2000

JoelH5

Quote from: corbs83 on April 17, 2018, 02:26:36 PM

I still believe.

as i said just before, the onus is on Cardiff to WIN games, two draws coupled with us winning 3 sees us ahead of them on goal difference. i do see Hull winning and then we need them to drop one point elsewhere (obviously they cant drop just one point) and then lets see how their nerve holds. if they do it, hats off to them and they are where they deserve to be after 46 games

I don't get why you are so confident Hull will beat or at least draw with them?
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Riversider

I still believe.

Is ìt not more likely that we will drop points against Millwall rather than Cardiff dropping points against a very poor Derby County ?