https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-a change of manager

Started by bog, February 19, 2018, 04:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitesideup

Quote from: David I on February 20, 2018, 01:34:25 PM
Quote from: bog on February 19, 2018, 04:29:32 PM
Not such along while back some were coming on here saying that we needed a new manager, Pulis was even mentioned. Personally I never doubted our boss, the only choice that I did not agree with was Button in goal at the start of this season. I wonder if those who wanted Slavisa out would like to have their say now....

Thank you and good night

092.gif
I Never doubted him... best manager for some time.
Losing him would have set us back quite a bit. My concern was over transfer policy and people in high places with no knowledge of football - the Kline sacking seams to be the turning point.
I'm sure that all came about as he was so close to walking to west Ham.....

Joka was ok with the Jan window but still wanted a CB. I still think we need a decent GK. But hey ho......

Betts is more than decent.

VancouverWhite

Wanting the manager to be replaced after a handful of poor games is very shortsighted. 

A lot of you were very fickle and shortsighted earlier in the season but that's okay. 

We are not a train station.

toshes mate

Quote from: SG on February 20, 2018, 03:30:54 PM
I am on record as saying that I did not believe that he was getting the best out of the resources available to him at that time - we were in 17th position. It is clear that he is now most definitely getting the best out of the resources - resources which have been undoubtedly enhanced recently since the transfer window. There are I'm sure many reasons for this - a fully fit squad, seeing the back of Kline are probably just 2 of them. Personally I don't think it is unreasonable to question the manager when the team are in 17th position of a division which is what I and several others did.
Of course it isn't unreasonable to have an opinion about anything.  I would call it highly desirable and healthy to have opinions and to share them.  But at the heart of the OP is the matter of changing the manager simply because something is wrong.  That isn't so much opinion as a tacit plea to the Khans to stop the rot which implies the writer knows what the problem is, has identified the culprit and already acted as judge and jury.   The Pulis reference happened and it isn't the first time Jokanovic has been under attack.  I read the 'attacks' on SJ and wait for the convincing evidence to flow.  But, of course, the critics are the usual hobby mechanics who will throw out a whole engine rather than realise the problem is actually a spark plug lead that is not making good contact and just needs a clean up.   And worse of all is that when the same problem comes up a few weeks later these hobby mechanics are straight back wanting to throw the engine out. 

Twig

Quote from: irishfulham on February 20, 2018, 03:07:38 PM
Quote from: BedsFFC on February 20, 2018, 01:12:25 PM
I think we all know that there are a small band of posters that only really get going when things go wrong. Multiple daily posts and hijacking other threads. It did wind me up for one main reason. Coming on here is an escape from the daily grind to be among people who suffer the same heartache and joy as me. We have always been different as we had a great sense of humour and didnt take ourselves too seriously. I think I have been called deluded, a happy clapper, wearing rose-tinted specs. And that's just in the last three months on here.
We all make mistakes and we all don't agree on everything. I still say that Dickson Etuhu was a bit of a fraud but many on here think he was a beast. Slavisa is not perfect. Don't forget, we do have an Achilles heel and I am not convinced that has been addressed. We will know soon enough when a team sits in their half, denies our midfielders any space and then exploit our fullback position when they have gone rampaging forward. It's when that happens that people start saying that Ream and Kalas are no good because they look panicked and stretched. The good news is, I don't think this will happen in the next two matches

You are a turnip

What sort of contribution is that? Or am I missing something?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: BedsFFC on February 20, 2018, 07:00:28 PM
I think we all know that there are a small band of posters that only really get going when things go wrong. Multiple daily posts and hijacking other threads. It did wind me up for one main reason. Coming on here is an escape from the daily grind to be among people who suffer the same heartache and joy as me. We have always been different as we had a great sense of humour and didnt take ourselves too seriously. I think I have been called deluded, a happy clapper, wearing rose-tinted specs. And that's just in the last three months on here.
We all make mistakes and we all don't agree on everything. I still say that Dickson Etuhu was a bit of a fraud but many on here think he was a beast. Slavisa is not perfect. Don't forget, we do have an Achilles heel and I am not convinced that has been addressed. We will know soon enough when a team sits in their half, denies our midfielders any space and then exploit our fullback position when they have gone rampaging forward. It's when that happens that people start saying that Ream and Kalas are no good because they look panicked and stretched. The good news is, I don't think this will happen in the next two matches

You are a turnip

Cheers

" We all know " ? Hold on a moment. Are you a spokesman for "we all know", how do you exactly know" ?
May I amend your statement to nearer the facts. It was a large band of posters who happen to be all correct.
Furthermore I am surprised you were only called a happy clapper, wearing rose tinted glasses, deluded and now a turnip. Surely you have been called more than that, and worse than that, I reckon you are holding back on us, your far too modest. Own up don't be shy.
Maybe people are trying to tell you something, like stop moarning all the time at people whose opinions differ to yours, we all like a good moan at times, but moaning at someone moaning breaches all boundaries of etiquette. So pull yourself together man, otherwise those names you are called will just keep on rolling. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

BedsFFC

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 21, 2018, 12:07:59 PM
Quote from: BedsFFC on February 20, 2018, 07:00:28 PM

You are a turnip

Cheers

" We all know " ? Hold on a moment. Are you a spokesman for "we all know", how do you exactly know" ?
May I amend your statement to nearer the facts. It was a large band of posters who happen to be all correct.
Furthermore I am surprised you were only called a happy clapper, wearing rose tinted glasses, deluded and now a turnip. Surely you have been called more than that, and worse than that, I reckon you are holding back on us, your far too modest. Own up don't be shy.
Maybe people are trying to tell you something, like stop moarning all the time at people whose opinions differ to yours, we all like a good moan at times, but moaning at someone moaning breaches all boundaries of etiquette. So pull yourself together man, otherwise those names you are called will just keep on rolling. 

Cheers

The Old Count

You are a turnip

A turnip?  Maybe he should get together with Mince n Tatties. lol

filham

Quote from: Twig on February 20, 2018, 04:02:29 PM
Quote from: SG on February 20, 2018, 03:30:54 PM
I am on record as saying that I did not believe that he was getting the best out of the resources available to him at that time - we were in 17th position. It is clear that he is now most definitely getting the best out of the resources - resources which have been undoubtedly enhanced recently since the transfer window. There are I'm sure many reasons for this - a fully fit squad, seeing the back of Kline are probably just 2 of them. Personally I don't think it is unreasonable to question the manager when the team are in 17th position of a division which is what I and several others did.

Well that is where we disagree.  Given the resources available at that time and the broader situation, I think he was managing pretty well.  And by resources available I do not simply mean the roll call of personnel but the state of those resources.  But yes, I agree, you had every right to question his performance, after all it's all just a matter of opinion.
Opinion can be influenced by fact, the fact of league position comes into it, 5th against 17th can influence my opinion.

toshes mate

Quote from: filham on February 21, 2018, 01:54:02 PM
Opinion can be influenced by fact, the fact of league position comes into it, 5th against 17th can influence my opinion.
Fact: It is easy to dramatically change position early in the season both up and down.  It becomes harder to see a dramatic change in position the longer the season goes on.   The point at which supporters start to get frustrated is moot.  I remember the comments posted after Brentford away (game 20), the videoed after-match question and answer sessions, about how SJ had lost the team, that he was stubbornly refusing to play certain players, Ryan Sessegnon out of position, etc., etc.  All of that for a lost game.....during a run where we have lost eleven points from sixteen games (i.e. 2.3 points per game - Championship winning form).   

HV71

We should just consider ourselves to be very lucky - we have a manager with beliefs- a style of play and an attitude that forme at least makes him shine above the rest - the average . So we were17th at one point - and we live in  a world mesmerised by instant gratification and the need for instant success. It takes real guts and staying power to stand up against those forces and continue with what you believe in thank you Joka I you I trust!! Carry on poncing!!!  COYW !!

bog

Quote from: HV71 on February 21, 2018, 03:01:23 PM
We should just consider ourselves to be very lucky - we have a manager with beliefs- a style of play and an attitude that forme at least makes him shine above the rest - the average . So we were17th at one point - and we live in  a world mesmerised by instant gratification and the need for instant success. It takes real guts and staying power to stand up against those forces and continue with what you believe in thank you Joka I you I trust!! Carry on poncing!!!  COYW !!

0001.jpeg :plus one: 082.gif

092.gif

Lighthouse

He made mistakes early in the season and his team selection on occasion was questionable. He was rightly criticised. The Summer signings were on the whole average which is why most of them have moved on. But in the same way as we are now singing his praises, a manager will always live and die by the results. In the same way we now are happier with the transfer system we have in place whatever it actually is now. Although with five minutes to go until the end of the Window we probably were far from content.

It is all ifs and buts and going back on previous opinions just makes us all less willing to change that opinion. Fans will look at stats and tell me we didn't need a forward. They will tell me that a full back on loan is wonderful and if I knew anything about football I would know that. We have another striker and that full back is gone. It proves little because as in life football is fickle and can change from second to second. I enjoy the good moments and moan about the bad. It is what many of us do. If we stopped criticising each other for holding an opinion and were just happy to debate then we would all be happier. But we don't and so while we are doing well we are happy. But when things are going less well remember we all support the same team and have many different ways of expressing it.

As a manager Joka is fine when he has a winning team. When he doesn't I reserve the right to express an opinion. Those that wanted Sess pushed forward while the manager didn't trust his replacement at fullback will always be a question for me. But now we have Targett and Sess is pushed further forward lets enjoy the run while it lasts. Good luck tonight and Saturday. Results either way will not be the be all and end all but will go some way in making the season continue on its upturn for us. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

HV71

He made mistakes early in the season and his team selection on occasion was questionable. He was rightly criticised. The Summer signings were on the whole average which is why most of them have moved on. But in the same way as we are now singing his praises, a manager will always live and die by the results. In the same way we now are happier with the transfer system we have in place whatever it actually is now. Although with five minutes to go until the end of the Window we probably were far from content.

It is all ifs and buts and going back on previous opinions just makes us all less willing to change that opinion. Fans will look at stats and tell me we didn't need a forward. They will tell me that a full back on loan is wonderful and if I knew anything about football I would know that. We have another striker and that full back is gone. It proves little because as in life football is fickle and can change from second to second. I enjoy the good moments and moan about the bad. It is what many of us do. If we stopped criticising each other for holding an opinion and were just happy to debate then we would all be happier. But we don't and so while we are doing well we are happy. But when things are going less well remember we all support the same team and have many different ways of expressing it.

As a manager Joka is fine when he has a winning team. When he doesn't I reserve the right to express an opinion. Those that wanted Sess pushed forward while the manager didn't trust his replacement at fullback will always be a question for me. But now we have Targett and Sess is pushed further forward lets enjoy the run while it lasts. Good luck tonight and Saturday. Results either way will not be the be all and end all but will go some way in making the season continue on its upturn for us. 
[/quote]

How I love a definite maybe.....

filham

Quote from: toshes mate on February 21, 2018, 02:26:20 PM
Fact: It is easy to dramatically change position early in the season both up and down.  It becomes harder to see a dramatic change in position the longer the season goes on.   The point at which supporters start to get frustrated is moot.  I remember the comments posted after Brentford away (game 20), the videoed after-match question and answer sessions, about how SJ had lost the team, that he was stubbornly refusing to play certain players, Ryan Sessegnon out of position, etc., etc.  All of that for a lost game.....during a run where we have lost eleven points from sixteen games (i.e. 2.3 points per game - Championship winning form).   

filham

Quote from: filham on February 21, 2018, 05:15:04 PM
Quote from: toshes mate on February 21, 2018, 02:26:20 PM

No, early season performances were not good. Remember the long wait for a couple of home wins. All those miserable journeys back home from the Cottage without a win, that was when it was difficult to see how Jocanovic was getting things right.

MJG

The start of the season was frustrating but really I always felt we had the right team in place. Players and managers. And also the right style.
Many comments were about last season being a fluke and players over performing and how we had been sussed out. Well just not true was it?
Many replied to those who wanted change or were wavering  by saying have patience, we hadn't become a bad team overnight and it was too early to panic. But I suppose it came down to belief. Belief in the way we play and the manager and many had lost it.
Joka and players should not be above criticism and Brentford for example I totally blame Joka for that loss. But the pluses have always outweighed the minuses and hence I always stick with him.
I love the way we play and in some ways I get a kick out of some fans getting frustrated with our possession play.
We have started reaping the rewards and have done since the start of winter.
Give me Joka anytime over Pulis, Bruce and all the other merry-go-round managers.
Just the views of a long term fan