watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-a change of manager

Started by bog, February 19, 2018, 04:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Not such along while back some were coming on here saying that we needed a new manager, Pulis was even mentioned. Personally I never doubted our boss, the only choice that I did not agree with was Button in goal at the start of this season. I wonder if those who wanted Slavisa out would like to have their say now....

Thank you and good night

092.gif

Dodger53

I tried looking for an old 'time for a new manager' post and update it with the same question.

filham

I am willing to put my hands up and admit to doubts about Jocanovic, results have not always been good.
Right now he is giving us the right results with good performances and if he can hold the ship on course to play offs and promotion at the end of the season he will join the list of our top managers.

Riverside

I think Joka was distracted and unhappy at the beginning of the season . I don't think he was good . Our turn around seems to have started with Kline's departure rather than the Jan transfer window . ( my point being before any new players turned up )

I think this led to a happier and more committed and better quality Joka .

It is understandable but a shame that Joka let's his unhappiness get to him and it effect the quality of his work .

If Kline had stayed I think Joka would have had to leave and be replaced by someone who could have either worked with Kline or wouldn't have let him get to him .

I am delighted it is Kline that went not Joka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twig

I was always a Joka supporter but I did begin to get a little nervous when so many on the board were persistently criticising him.
I acknowledge that Kline's departure helped but it was not just that. In the early season he was coping with; the aftermath of a poorly conceived pre-season, players carrying injuries, some new summer signings who were poor and others who were struggling to fit in to his preferred style, a crocked skipper etc.  In the circumstances I think he did what he could.
Last season was excellent and this one at least as good. As far as I am concerned he is already one of our better managers, get us promoted and his stock can only rise further.

MJG

Its easy to go back (Oct/Nov) time to see where everyone stood, and would be very easy to point them out. But thats a bit classless in my view.
Some of us are half glass full and some half empty. Some of us get accused of stuff because we look at things one way, others dont if its another pov.
In the end we may disagree with each other but we all want whats best for the club. And also we dont need to look back really as we already know how many view Joka already.
Just the views of a long term fan

BedsFFC

I think we all know that there are a small band of posters that only really get going when things go wrong. Multiple daily posts and hijacking other threads. It did wind me up for one main reason. Coming on here is an escape from the daily grind to be among people who suffer the same heartache and joy as me. We have always been different as we had a great sense of humour and didnt take ourselves too seriously. I think I have been called deluded, a happy clapper, wearing rose-tinted specs. And that's just in the last three months on here.
We all make mistakes and we all don't agree on everything. I still say that Dickson Etuhu was a bit of a fraud but many on here think he was a beast. Slavisa is not perfect. Don't forget, we do have an Achilles heel and I am not convinced that has been addressed. We will know soon enough when a team sits in their half, denies our midfielders any space and then exploit our fullback position when they have gone rampaging forward. It's when that happens that people start saying that Ream and Kalas are no good because they look panicked and stretched. The good news is, I don't think this will happen in the next two matches

bog

My feeling is that few managers are good all of the time. The basis of how ours runs his sides will always do for me. He does not take any nonsense and I think it speaks volumes that he did not walk out when Kline was ruling transfers from his throne of stupidity. Even if we do not get promoted once again I like the way that we try.

092.gif   

toshes mate

What a mealy mouthed load of old BS from those who admit to being critical of our head coach and now duly try to defend that position when we can conclude from their comments that they'll be right back on his case the moment anything goes the least bit pear shaped.   ;-)))

I'd just say that Mr Jokanovic is an excellent manager.  He isn't the Messiah, much too fallible and cannot speak fluently in any tongue, but he does know his football and given anything like appropriate support from his employers will give better than value for money in his job which, in the case of FFC, is setting an example a lot of others would do well to follow. 

I also concur with bog's comment just above.

David I

Quote from: bog on February 19, 2018, 04:29:32 PM
Not such along while back some were coming on here saying that we needed a new manager, Pulis was even mentioned. Personally I never doubted our boss, the only choice that I did not agree with was Button in goal at the start of this season. I wonder if those who wanted Slavisa out would like to have their say now....

Thank you and good night

092.gif
I Never doubted him... best manager for some time.
Losing him would have set us back quite a bit. My concern was over transfer policy and people in high places with no knowledge of football - the Kline sacking seams to be the turning point.
I'm sure that all came about as he was so close to walking to west Ham.....

Joka was ok with the Jan window but still wanted a CB. I still think we need a decent GK. But hey ho......

Bill2

Always thought SJ was the best manager in the div and backed him 100%. Play lovely football with a good degree of success. If we don't get promoted this season it may not just the players we lose.

BedsFFC

Quote from: toshes mate on February 20, 2018, 01:32:50 PM
What a mealy mouthed load of old BS from those who admit to being critical of our head coach and now duly try to defend that position when we can conclude from their comments that they'll be right back on his case the moment anything goes the least bit pear shaped.   ;-)))

As far as I can see that was only Mr Filham and I thought he was big to come on and admit he got it wrong. I was going to praise him

toshes mate

Quote from: BedsFFC on February 20, 2018, 01:45:31 PM
Quote from: toshes mate on February 20, 2018, 01:32:50 PM

As far as I can see that was only Mr Filham and I thought he was big to come on and admit he got it wrong. I was going to praise him
I can see an argument for praising the bravery of Mr Filham's daring to comment on this thread but hasn't he simply acknowledged where he believes the buck should stop if and when results are not good?  Could that be a touch myopic?

irishfulham

Quote from: BedsFFC on February 20, 2018, 01:12:25 PM
I think we all know that there are a small band of posters that only really get going when things go wrong. Multiple daily posts and hijacking other threads. It did wind me up for one main reason. Coming on here is an escape from the daily grind to be among people who suffer the same heartache and joy as me. We have always been different as we had a great sense of humour and didnt take ourselves too seriously. I think I have been called deluded, a happy clapper, wearing rose-tinted specs. And that's just in the last three months on here.
We all make mistakes and we all don't agree on everything. I still say that Dickson Etuhu was a bit of a fraud but many on here think he was a beast. Slavisa is not perfect. Don't forget, we do have an Achilles heel and I am not convinced that has been addressed. We will know soon enough when a team sits in their half, denies our midfielders any space and then exploit our fullback position when they have gone rampaging forward. It's when that happens that people start saying that Ream and Kalas are no good because they look panicked and stretched. The good news is, I don't think this will happen in the next two matches

You are a turnip

SG

I am on record as saying that I did not believe that he was getting the best out of the resources available to him at that time - we were in 17th position. It is clear that he is now most definitely getting the best out of the resources - resources which have been undoubtedly enhanced recently since the transfer window. There are I'm sure many reasons for this - a fully fit squad, seeing the back of Kline are probably just 2 of them. Personally I don't think it is unreasonable to question the manager when the team are in 17th position of a division which is what I and several others did.

Twig

Quote from: SG on February 20, 2018, 03:30:54 PM
I am on record as saying that I did not believe that he was getting the best out of the resources available to him at that time - we were in 17th position. It is clear that he is now most definitely getting the best out of the resources - resources which have been undoubtedly enhanced recently since the transfer window. There are I'm sure many reasons for this - a fully fit squad, seeing the back of Kline are probably just 2 of them. Personally I don't think it is unreasonable to question the manager when the team are in 17th position of a division which is what I and several others did.

Well that is where we disagree.  Given the resources available at that time and the broader situation, I think he was managing pretty well.  And by resources available I do not simply mean the roll call of personnel but the state of those resources.  But yes, I agree, you had every right to question his performance, after all it's all just a matter of opinion.

Andy S

It is also not unreasonable for others not to bother reading anything we disagree with an for that same reason there are various newspapers that stay sitting on the shelf

BedsFFC

Quote from: irishfulham on February 20, 2018, 03:07:38 PM
Quote from: BedsFFC on February 20, 2018, 01:12:25 PM

You are a turnip

Cheers

davew

Quote from: SG on February 20, 2018, 03:30:54 PM
+1
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Baszab

I have been pretty critical but there is no doubt he has got the mix right now

He is not above criticism if he makes mistakes

He is also allowed to be criticised by anyone on this board especially where we know nothing about the inside working of FFC from a professional point of view - we can criticise but we may be wrong