watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Were we lucky?

Started by Fernhurst, February 19, 2018, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernhurst

Just watched the video of "goal cam" on the official site. Gives a whole new perspective of our goals. Floyds goal absolutely sumptuous to watch, taken with such aplomb, comes out of the sky (can't even see Floyd) and hits the net at just the right speed to leave the keeper without a hope. Well done Floyd, magnificent and could have easily gone wrong.

The really interesting one is Ryan's though and gives an insight of what we get with the package of a modern day central striker in Mitro's price bracket
Everyone, including the ref is mesmerised watching Fred rip past the fullback and just as he shapes to pull the ball back aleksandar gives his tracker No5 James Chester (?) an almighty shove taking him from inside the six yard box to a yard outside toward the corner flag creating more space for Ryan to exploit.
Must have watched the goal 10 times and never noticed the shove.
Great piece of switched on striker work/skill or a bit of luck on our side?
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

SP

Standard Championship tactics?

Lighthouse

Happens every game with players pushing and shoving and easing each other out of position. But every day in life is full of luck or bad luck. Will I be in the right position to buy the last freshly baked loaf? Will that fruit cake be taken by Mrs Jenkins or will she let it slip out of her hand? Or can i park in the last place available if I push my way over the curb while that nice lady abides by the rules and misses out?

Every day and every match is open to luck and fortune. All we can do is try and have the best tactics to face the team. Or face the day. By the way I offered the last space to the lady. Sometimes the game isn't worth the effort.  :005:

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Whatever we think of our goals and any luck which may have been involved, I was frustrated by the bad passing choices or shooting misses on three or more occasions.

Had any of these been taken we would not be discussing this now.

bill taylors apprentice

Anyone who was at the Cottage would say NO!

Peabody

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on February 19, 2018, 09:31:10 PM
Whatever we think of our goals and any luck which may have been involved, I was frustrated by the bad passing choices or shooting misses on three or more occasions.

Had any of these been taken we would not be discussing this now.

But that's football.

Fernhurst

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on February 19, 2018, 09:42:51 PM
Anyone who was at the Cottage would say NO!

From my position I didn't see it, but yeah just wish it was No 26 he shoved.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Carborundum

Our good fortune was that John Terry captained Villa.  Here's why.

John the 🐌  Terry insisted the Villa back four played deep.  He can't cope with the pace. Tuanzebe and Chester didn't need to be that deep.  They did fine, particularly against Sessegnon.  But the effect on the Villa midfield was what did for them.  For 45 minutes their midfield harried and pressed really well and it made for an even game.  But JT had simply given them too much to do in the context of a 90 minute game and they fell apart horribly.  Pressing only works if the whole team presses and the work is shared.  So we basically had the run of the pitch for the second half.

Football being football one can conjure up scenarios where Villa escape with a draw or even better.  But in reality we win that match 19 times out of 20, most of them by more than two goals.

If we play them again in the play offs, they have a real problem. 

YankeeJim

In watching Floyd's goal, I keep asking myself where is their defender> Shouldn't have JT picked him up? Floyd had time to control the ball and basically tee it up without being hindered. Was Terry just out of gas?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Carborundum

Quote from: YankeeJim on February 19, 2018, 10:01:35 PM
In watching Floyd's goal, I keep asking myself where is their defender> Shouldn't have JT picked him up? Floyd had time to control the ball and basically tee it up without being hindered. Was Terry just out of gas?
Good question.  The balls back with the keeper to clear.  Confident defender gets line to push up, forward momentum at the point the goalie kicks the ball, momentum that takes the defender to Ayite and increases the pressure on the shot.  There's none of that from JT.  Is he gassed, is he fretful about leaving space behind him, is he just not concentrating, mentally switching off because the game is so much harder when natural gifts are waning.  Perhaps it's a mix.  Doesn't matter.  There's no way back for him.

None of which detracts from the absolute aplomb Floyd Ayite treated us to.  Some goals really have to be experienced live to be fully appreciated.  It's that will-it-won't it moment that is served full strength in the stadium.

toshes mate

Quote from: Carborundum on February 19, 2018, 10:28:58 PM
None of which detracts from the absolute aplomb Floyd Ayite treated us to.  Some goals really have to be experienced live to be fully appreciated.  It's that will-it-won't it moment that is served full strength in the stadium.
I can still feel that sharp intake of breath and anticipation now.  Floyd Ayite deserves all the plaudits for capitalising on a silly error before anyone else could intervene.  Wonderful goal.  It is what makes live football so special.

hovewhite

Friggin hell, it was a hell of a goal by Floyd!