watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (20/02/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 20, 2018, 06:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Marcus Bettinelli: Fulham has always been a club that produces great goalkeepers

The 25-year-old has trodded the path from Academy to first team at Fulham and believes the quality coming through is testament to the club

Marcus Bettinelli believes that the Fulham Academy is a credit to the club and has pinpointed the level of goalkeepers coming through the ranks as testament to its success.

Having trodden the path himself from the youth teams to the first team, via Dartford and Accrington Stanley, the Fulham number one knows just how difficult it is for a goalkeeper to break through into the first team set-up at a professional football club.

Marek Rodak, Julian Schwarzer, Taye and Luca Ashby- Hammond, Magnus Norman - all these are young goalkeepers that have been made in the Academy, and all harbour hopes of one day following in Bettinelli's footsteps and pulling on the number one jersey in the Craven Cottage dressing room.

There's quality coming through in all positions in the Academy, and Bettinelli thinks what it has achieved under the stewardship of Huw Jennings is a credit to the club.

He said: "I think it's terrific, I think Fulham has always been a club over the years that have produced great goalkeepers, going from the first team all the way through.

"You look at the likes of David Stockdale, who came in from Darlington and turned him into a Premier League/Championship goalkeeper.

"There's Neil Etheridge who came through the ranks and is playing at Cardiff, Wes Foderingham at Rangers and Marek Rodak is doing really well on loan as well and I think Jesse Joronen just got a move to Copenhagen.

"I think that speaks wonders for the job the Academy does in terms of goalkeepers, to produce six or seven goalkeepers that are playing in the league, including Rodak who is on loan, is fantastic.

"Magnus has had a little injury recently so we've had a few of the young lads come up and train with us, Julian Schwarzer travelled with us to Bolton and Luca has been around it and Taylor Ashby-Hammond, Luca's brother, they both have bright futures

One of our own: Marcus Bettinelli (Image: Harry Trump/Getty Images)

"In terms of keepers at Fulham, I don't think there ever will be a problem, I think they'll always produce goalkeepers and they always seem to produce high quality goalkeepers and that's great.

"For someone like me that's done it and been in their position, it's not easy trying to break into the first team, it's really hard but I think they've been given a great chance.

"There's great goalkeeping coaches here, there always has been and I think the most important thing for them is to go out and try and get games like I did when I went on loan to Dartford and Accrington.

"When you go and get games it gives you key experience and that is what training can't teach you.

"I say that to the lads now and I'm sure they'll take it on board and try and get out soon and get on loan and get some games.

"But I think in terms of what Fulham and the Academy does, not just in terms of goalkeepers but players in general, you can see it this season with Sess and his brother, we have a lot of potential coming through and it's a credit to the club."

When Bettinelli mentions goalkeeping coaches at Fulham, the first person that springs to mind is father, Vic.

He's the Academy goalkeeping coach and focuses on the U17 to U19 scholars at the club, and as well as having an impact on the careers of future Fulham keepers, he's had a massive influence on his son's fledging football career - something that Bettinelli is forever grateful for.

He said: "I think my dad has always had a major role in my life growing up in terms of my football career and I'm sure he always will do.

"I know he's super proud of me, he can't come and watch the games because he gets a little too nervous unfortunately, but I'm forever grateful for what he's done for me.

"He's given me a base to go on and make a name for myself in this game and give me a career and I can only thank him for that.

"In that sense, I'm forever grateful for him and he's always there for me, whether I need guidance or advice.

"He gets too nervous to come and watch the games now so he can't give me too much advice because he doesn't know what I've done wrong in the games but when he does watch the highlights and stuff he's always there when I need him and I'm forever grateful for it."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marcus-bettinelli-fulham-academy-goalkeepers-14301409

WhiteJC

Bristol City v Fulham - Match Officials

On Wednesday, Fulham have the opportunity to stretch their current unbeaten run, in the Championship, to eleven games when they travel to Ashton Gate to take on Bristol City.

With the games coming thick and fast, Bristol City, who have promotion aspirations of their own, will prove to be tough opposition.

But, with confidence in the squad high, we fancy Fulham to get the result they need.

Ahead of the game we are now able to bring you the names of those who have been appointed, by the Football League, to officiate:

• Referee - Jeremy Simpson

• Assistant Referee - Adam Matthews

• Assistant Referee - Nigel Lugg

• Fourth Official - Robert Lewis

With regards to the referee, Jeremy Simpson, he has taken charge of 31 games and has issued 130 yellow cards and 5 red cards.

This season, Jeremy Simpson has taken charge of the following fixtures involving Fulham:

• Nil

COYW`s

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=521789#ixzz57d0Z9ZrX

WhiteJC

I was never going to leave Fulham, says Cairney
by Dan on February 19, 2018

Tom Cairney has insisted that he was never going to leave Fulham during the January transfer window – and has described the prospect of captaining the club in the Premier League as 'a dream come true'.

The Scottish midfielder was the subject of fevered speculation last month, with West Ham and West Brom linked with moves for his signature, but Fulham were adamant that they were not going to sell any of their key players. Sky Sports News even went as far as saying that Cairney had told Fulham he wanted to join West Ham – but Cairney told GetWestLondon's Ryan O'Donovan that he has long since learned not to pay too much attention to the rumours.

I don't think I was ever going to leave. There's a project here and my dream is to take Fulham up and be the captain in the Premier League – that would be a dream come true.

I can't do anything more than sign a contract extension, there was a lot of rumours and stuff but honestly, there was speculation about me but it means I'm just doing stuff right and people are appreciating it which is always good for me. It means I'm playing well but it's the same for other players, teams would want other players in our side, like (Ryan) Sessegnon, just because we have a good team at the minute, and long may it continue.

Cairney, whose return to the side for Saturday's impressive 2-0 win over Aston Villa was his first start since 2nd January, said that, after experiencing problems in training throughout the season, fitting back into Slavisa Jokanovic's starting line-up was the easy part.

It's brilliant to play in this team, we always play the same way no matter what game so it's quite easy to come back into a team like this because we always play one way – it's just like getting back on a bike. Training hasn't been easy, it's been quite tough and I've had some down days, some okay days and hopefully everything is okay after this game and we'll see how it is.

It's been so frustrating, I can't explain how mind numbing it's been all season. I was desperate to get out there today because it was the biggest game in the Football League and it was good to be part of. I didn't really feel much pain today but I don't know about after this, we'll have to see how it goes.

I have a strong family around me and team mates and physios – it's quite hard but there will be light at the end of the tunnel and I can't wait to get fully pain free and keep doing that.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/02/i-was-never-going-to-leave-fulham-says-cairney/

WhiteJC

New Deal For Norman

We are delighted to announce that Magnus Norman has agreed a contract extension at Fulham.

The new deal sees the goalkeeper commit his future until the summer of 2019, with a Club option to extend by a further year.

Norman joined Fulham in June 2006, which makes him the longest serving professional footballer on our books, just ahead of Marcus Bettinelli and Elijah Adebayo.

The 21-year-old has represented the Whites at every age group, and was recently on the First Team bench for our Emirates FA Cup meeting with Southampton at Craven Cottage.

"I'm really happy," Norman told fulhamfc.com. "I've been here since I was nine so it's great to extend my contract by another year, and hopefully I can push on and potentially make my debut.

"I love it here. I know everyone throughout the Club, and being with the First Team this year has been good experience.

"Being part of matchday squads is just the best feeling. The atmosphere at the stadiums, warming up, and the whole experience of travelling is just really good.

"That's all the motivation you need, that's where you want to be, playing in those big stadiums with those crowds.

"All the way through I've looked up to Betts – he is who I want to be like, progressing through all the age groups to become Fulham's number one goalkeeper.

"Training with Jose [Sambade Carreira] and the other 'keepers, we all get on really well. The camaraderie's good, and we all push each other in training.

"We're all mates, but at the end of the day we're all competing for the number one shirt as well."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/february/19/new-deal-for-magnus-norman

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic reacts to 'sensational' Aleksandar Mitrovic's best game yet for Fulham

Slavisa Jokanovic says Newcastle United striker Aleksandar Mitrovic is a "sensation". The striker made his first start for loan club Fulham at the weekend.

And Mitrovic helped the Championship side beat promotion rivals Aston Villa 2-0 at Craven Cottage.

"Although he didn't score, Mitrovic played very well, a very good game," said Jokanovic. "He's a sensation – he's already doing tricks. He didn't score, but his movement for the first goal was fantastic and he created the space for (Ryan) Sessegnon to finish with the goal.

"He showed quality, power and did a great job for us – holding up the ball very well and having a positive impact on the game.

"He didn't play for many, many, many months. He didn't compete, so we expected we could bring him in and prepare him to be in a better shape and he can still help us in the future."

Mitrovic joined Fulham on transfer deadline day last month. His first two appearances for the club were off the bench. The Serbia international wanted to play regular football ahead of the summer's World Cup finals after spending much of the first half of the season on the bench.

United manager Rafa Benitez addressed Mitrovic's longer-term future earlier this month. "My relationship with him is fine," said Benitez. "He's a nice lad.

"You pick your team. I don't need to worry about my ego. I have won trophies around the world and I don't need to be worried about my ego. "My priority to win games. You pick your team thinking 'this is the best team for me'. It was clear that he wanted, and needed, to play games. Now he has an opportunity. "Hopefully, he'll score 25 goals. We'll be happy with that. He'll have more value. "He will come here and say 'I'm a new player, you have to trust me because I've scored 25 goals'. Fine, no problem."

Read more at: https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/slavisa-jokanovic-reacts-to-sensational-aleksandar-mitrovic-s-best-game-yet-for-fulham-1-9023390

WhiteJC

Donnarumma, Mbappe, Sessegnon? Fulham youngster named as one of top ten youngsters in the world

Fulham's wonderkid has been rated as one of the top ten youngsters in the world, and is in some high company on the list

Fulham's top scorer, personal awards and links with the likes of Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur - it's not been a bad couple of years for Ryan Sessegnon.

And now the CIES Football Observatory has named him in their top most promising youngsters in the world, alongside the likes of AC Milan's Gianluigi Donnarumma and Paris Saint-Germain's Kylian Mbappe.

To make up their list, the Football Observatory analysed the minutes played by each footballer were weighted according to the sporting level of leagues and the results achieved by employer clubs.

They've then ranked the top 50 players into categories, with five-star players being rated as players who should be able to establish themselves in Europe's top leagues, four-stars have a concrete possibility to spend a big part of their career there, while three-stars are also in a favorable position.

As you can imagine, Sessegnon is ranked at tenth with a five-star rating, above Real Madrid's wonderkid Martin Odegaard, who comes in at 28th.

Here's the top ten:

Gianluigi Donnarumma (AC Milan)
    Alban Lafont (Toulouse)
    Kylian Mbappe (PSG)
    Christian Pulisic (Dortmund)
    Malang Sarr (Nice)
    Dayot Upamecano (RB Leipzig)
    Tom Davies (Everton)
    Matthijs de Ligt (Ajax)
    Kai Havertz (Leverkusen)
    Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham)

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/donnarumma-mbappe-sessegnon-fulham-youngster-14307383

WhiteJC

Magnus Norman signs new deal at Fulham and speaks of admiration for Marcus Bettinelli

The 21-year-old is the longest serving professional at Fulham and has penned a new one-and-a-half-year deal at his boyhood club

Magnus Norman has signed a new contract at Fulham which will see him stay at the club until 2019 at least.

The 21-year-old penned a year-and-a-half extension, with the club option of a further year, having been at the club since the age of nine.

It's another bow in the string of the Academy, with Norman making the first team bench for the FA Cup tie against Southampton, while regularly being the third choice keeper and travelling with the side on matchdays.

He's now following in the footsteps of Marcus Bettinelli , who also trod the same path as Norman, and after signing his new deal, Fulham's longest serving professional spoke of his admiration for the Fulham number one.

He told Fulham's official website: "I'm really happy, I've been here since I was nine so it's great to extend my contract by another year, and hopefully I can push on and potentially make my debut.

"I love it here. I know everyone throughout the Club, and being with the First Team this year has been good experience.

"Being part of matchday squads is just the best feeling. The atmosphere at the stadiums, warming up, and the whole experience of travelling is just really good.

"That's all the motivation you need, that's where you want to be, playing in those big stadiums with those crowds.

He told Fulham's official website: "I'm really happy, I've been here since I was nine so it's great to extend my contract by another year, and hopefully I can push on and potentially make my debut.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/magnus-norman-signs-new-deal-14307611

WhiteJC

Norman signs new Fulham contract
by Dan on February 19, 2018

Magnus Norman has signed a contract extension with Fulham that will keep him at Craven Cottage until at least 2019.

The 21 year-old goalkeeper, who joined the club back in 2006, has signed a new deal, which Fulham have an option to extend by a year, and is targeting breaking into the first team having been named on the bench for last month's FA Cup tie against Premier League Southampton.

Norman, who has represented Fulham at every age group, told the club's official website:

I'm really happy. I've been here since I was nine so it's great to extend my contract by another year, and hopefully I can push on and potentially make my debut. I love it here. I know everyone throughout the club, and being with the first team this year has been good experience.

He revealed how excited he has been by being included in the first team's preparations this season and how closely he has followed Marcus Bettinelli's progress through the ranks to become Fulham's first team goalkeeper.

Being part of matchday squads is just the best feeling. The atmosphere at the stadiums, warming up, and the whole experience of travelling is just really good. That's all the motivation you need, that's where you want to be, playing in those big stadiums with those crowds.

All the way through I've looked up to Betts – he is who I want to be like, progressing through all the age groups to become Fulham's number one goalkeeper. Training with Jose [Sambade Carreira] and the other 'keepers, we all get on really well. The camaraderie's good, and we all push each other in training. We're all mates, but at the end of the day we're all competing for the number one shirt as well.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/02/norman-signs-new-fulham-contract/

WhiteJC

West Ham will look to sign Fulham's Ryan Fredericks

West Ham are interested in signing the Fulham defender Ryan Fredericks at the end of this season.

The right-back is out of contract in the summer and he could join the Hammers on a free transfer.

According to reports, West Ham are ready to keep David Moyes at the club beyond this season and the former Everton boss wants to sign Fredericks for his side. The former Tottenham player is one of Moyes' first summer targets if reports are to be believed.

Fredericks will add some much-needed depth to West Ham's full-back positions. The likes of Zabaleta and Byram have struggled to impress so far and the Fulham star could secure a starting berth for the Hammers if he performs well enough.

Back in January, Fredericks revealed that he is happy at Fulham and that he is looking to stay at the club. However, his contract situation has not been sorted yet and the defender seems destined to leave.

http://sportslens.com/west-ham-will-look-to-sign-fulhams-ryan-fredericks/225185/

WhiteJC

FA Youth Cup Quarter-Final

The Under-18s will play their Quarter-Final of the FA Youth Cup against current champions Chelsea at Craven Cottage on Tuesday 27th February in a 7.05pm kick off.

The Young Whites navigated their way past Huddersfield Town, Swansea City and Plymouth Argyle to get to this stage, with two of the matches settled in extra-time.

Chelsea booked their place in the Quarter-Final by beating Tottenham Hotspur in the last-16, the Blues also put seven past West Brom, and beat Scunthorpe United in their Third Round tie.

Fans are invited down to come support the Young Whites in a rematch of the 2014 Final where Chelsea edged the two legged tie 7-6.

In 2014, Fulham won the first leg on a memorable night at Craven Cottage 3-2 and this crop of young players will be looking to do similar. Moussa Dembélé, Emerson Hyndman and Cameron Burgess all scored that evening.

Since that final four years ago, Chelsea have gone on to win four consecutive FA Youth Cup titles and this is the ninth consecutive year our West London neighbours have made it to this stage.

Tickets will be priced at £4 for adults and £1 for concessions.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/february/19/fa-youth-cup-quarter-final

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic reveals the one position he felt Fulham missed out on in the Transfer Window

Fulham added three new faces to the side over the January Transfer Window but the head coach has revealed what he felt the side missed out

Slavisa Jokanovic was left satisfied after a January Transfer Window that saw Fulham bring in three players to help their promotion push, but reveals he wanted the side to sign a centre back.

That position was one of three that he wanted the side to sign when the Transfer Window started, alongside a striker and a left back, which were delivered in the form of loan men Matt Targett and Aleksandar Mitrovic.

The Cottagers also kept hold of all their key players, including Tom Cairney, Ryan Sessegnon and Ryan Fredericks while they added bonus signing Cyrus Christie to their ranks from Middlesbrough after he become available.

And despite the club not signing the centre back Jokanovic wanted, he was happy with the business done in January, especially with the permanent signing of Christie.

He said: "I am very happy because we take this chance to sign this player, he's an experienced Championship player

"Initially, we didn't have the plans to sign people in this position but when we have the chance and really I am satisfied.

"He will be part of the games what is ahead of us and part of Fulham in period what is ahead of us.

"He is not a loan player, we have signed him for a long term contract for a long period and I am sure he showed the quality working with us and soon he will be part and have the chance to compete with us.

"I am happy, it's true that I miss only one player, centre back - the club listened to my petition and we find the sense and logic in this transfer window and I believe we bring in people who can help us.

"You cannot be completely satisfied but I am satisfied enough, we made a great step in this last transfer window and I expect these people will help us to find better results."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/slavisa-jokanovic-reveals-one-position-14308018

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon could be as good as Gareth Bale, says Matt Targett after Fulham extend unbeaten run

Targett, who is on loan from Southampton, was a youth player at the Saints when Bale was playing at the club

Ryan Sessegnon has scored 12 goals in the Championship this season Getty

Fulham defender Matt Targett has compared his teammate Ryan Sessegnon to the likes of Gareth Bale.

The left-back was speaking after Fulham's 2-0 win over Aston Villa in the Championship, in which Sessegnon opened the scoring in the second half.

Targett, who is on loan from Southampton, was a youth player at the Saints when Bale was playing at the club.

"He's going to have a great future in front of him," said Targett, "He's a massive threat and to score over ten goals already in the Championship for any midfielder that's good, but he's 17. It's a massive achievement and he's got a massive future in front of him."

Sessegnon is Fulham's top scorer this season with 12 goals. Similar to Real Madrid's Bale, the 17-year-old has worked his way forward from the defence to a raiding goal-scorer on the wing.

"He's definitely right up there with the likes of Luke Shaw, Gareth Bale, you could even put," Targett claimed, when comparing him other starlets he's seen come through the ranks at Southampton.

"The main thing for him is he has a lot of years ahead of him, he needs to keep working hard, keep his feet on the ground and I'm sure he'll have a bright future.

"He's so down to earth, very grounded and he's a top professional which sets him apart from the rest."

Matt Targett previously played for Southampton (Getty)

Sitting behind Sessegnon on the left-hand side, Targett says he's enjoyed working with him so far, and their relationship on the field is only going to improve.

"With each game we're growing, getting more of an understanding of how we both play.

He's a threat going forward who picks up great positions in the box," he said.

"As you saw from the goal today, it wasn't the cleanest finish but he's in the right place and got the goal."

Gareth Bale began his career at Southampton (Getty)

Targett moved up to London in the January transfer window, after playing second-fiddle to Ryan Bertrand through most of the season. His only two games came when Bertrand was injured over the Christmas period.

The 22-year-old has now hit the ground running at Craven Cottage, and scored his first goal – after just three games – against Bolton last weekend.

"The team play great football," he said. "It was something I wanted to be a part of. The team are in a great position, showing great form. It was really attractive.

"I'm just focusing on this season. My aim is to get Fulham back in the Premier League, that's the main thing.

"Whatever happens in the future, we'll have to wait in see. But I'm very happy here, the club have made me feel very welcome and I'm delighted to play for the badge.

The Cottagers sit in the play-off spots after their Villa victory, but Targett thinks their ambitions should lie with a challenge for second place.

"You never know with this league, but right now Wolves are sitting very comfortably. I'd probably say they are out of sight but that second spot is up for grabs and we're going for that.

"We want to get an automatic promotion spot, if not the play-offs. But our aim is to get that automatic spot."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/fulham-ryan-sessegnon-gareth-bale-southampton-real-madrid-matt-targett-a8217416.html

WhiteJC

Latest Aleksandar Mitrovic interview and still insists "I chose Newcastle and I didn't make a mistake"

Aleksandar Mitrovc latest interview "After any war comes sun. That's life."

Aleksandar Mitrovic made his first start for Fulham on Saturday in the 2-0 win over Aston Villa and also gave his latest interview to coincide with it.

Speaking to the official Fulham programme, the Newcastle striker talked about joining both the Magpies and the Cottagers, and gave the reasons why.

He also talked about favourite hobbies when he was a kid, as well as football of course, saying (to no great surprise?) 'I played fighting sports a little, kickboxing and a little bit of karate'.

Once again mentioning the fact that they played in the same colours as Partizan as one of the things that sparked him into becoming a Newcastle United fan, interestingly Mitro still inists he didn't choose the wrong club despite Rafa Benitez sidelining him: 'I chose Newcastle and I didn't make a mistake.'

Fulham fans, manager and chairman all raved about his performance on Saturday and the striker says he had been following the fortunes of the club for some time.

That interest helped by the fact his countryman is manager, as well as the quality and style of football that Fulham play: 'Last season, Fulham definitely played the most beautiful football in the Championship. They beat us at St. James' Park 3-1. It could have been 7-1.'

With Serbia having experienced war in the recent past, Aleksandar Mitrovic believes that this background helps give himself and others the mental strength to overcome obstacles in their way.

Newcastle fans will be taking a keen interest in how the Serbian striker gets on in these remaining games for Fulham, as well as this Summer in the 2018 World Cup finals in Russia.

Aleksandar Mitrovic speaking to the official Fulham programme:

I've settled in. The lads help me a lot – I already know how they play, what they want and what my job is. Of course I need time to adapt, but it's going well. Every game, every training session, I feel better.

"The stadium is really old and traditional, so it was a real pleasure to play there and the atmosphere was really nice, the fans really accepted me well from the beginning.

"He (Fulham Manager Slavisa Jokanovic) did a lot of great things for Partizan as a player and a manager.

"He's one of the best managers Serbia has. He represents our country in the best way, so I'm very proud. He's a lovely guy and it's a pleasure to work with him.

"I had to stand behind the goal (as a ballboy when Jokanovic was Partizan manager) with the home support on the south side, I watched so many big teams and big players.

"My famiy gave me support and didn't allow me to quit. They gave me that power you can only get from family. In the end, I made my dreams and they really helped me a lot with that.

"It's hard to break the Serbian guy, so I think I'm like that, I never give up.

"This is something you pick up in your childhood. It's not always going to be nice and sometimes it's going to be awful, but like Serbian people say, 'After any war comes sun.' That's life.

"(When I was younger) I played fighting sports a little, kickboxing and a little bit of karate, that's it. After that, it was football.

"I joined Newcastle because from a young age I supported them. I don't why, but they had black and white colours, the same colours as Partizan Belgrade.

"I chose Newcastle and I didn't make a mistake.

"Last season, Fulham definitely played the most beautiful football in the Championship. They beat us at St. James' Park 3-1. It could have been 7-1.

"They were unlucky in the Play-Offs, but I also followed the team this season. Fulham have some new players, but the manager and the staff and a lot of the players are the same.

"They played really offensive football, so that is the reason I chose Fulham."

https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/02/latest-aleksandar-mitrovic-interview-still-insists-chose-newcastle-didnt-make-mistake-newcastle-united/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Matt Targett included in ANOTHER team of the week for the third time in a row

The 21-year-old has been in three different successive Team of the Weeks for his performances at Fulham

Matt Targett has enjoyed a strong start to life in SW6 and his performance against Aston Villa has seen him be selected in yet another team of the week.

Having previously been selected in the previous two WhoScored? team of the week sides for his performances against Bolton Wanderers and Nottingham Forest, he's now been included in the EFL Team of the Week for his display against Aston Villa.

He's settled into the left fullback role with ease at Fulham and you can see the Premier League quality the 21-year-old has having come through the ranks at Southampton.

Meanwhile, Ryan Fredericks and Floyd Ayite were included in the WhoScored? Team of the Week this time around as Fulham put an end to Villa's seven-game winning run with a 2-0 victory at the Cottage.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-matt-targett-included-another-14308874

WhiteJC

Targett Blossoming At Fulham

Matt Targett is earning rave reviews at Fulham suggesting that he could return to St Mary's in the summer and make the left back spot his own.

Matt Targett won rave reviews a few seasons ago under Ronald Koeman, but then he fell out of favour with the Dutchman and a series of injuries stopped his progress and Sam McQueen stepped into the breach when Ryan Bertrand was injured.

But Targett was always the player the club truly rated as the replacement for Bertrand if and when he leaves and if Targett continues his progress at Fulham. Saints may well be prepared to cash in on Bertrand and gibe Targett the opportunity to make the left back spot his own.

Certainly Targett is a ball playing left back rather than the more wing back style of Bertrand or McQueen , but he has the ability to not only lay balls along the line but put in telling crosses, he uses the ball rather than his own pace.

So far he has made 3 starts for Fulham after his debut as a half time substitute in the London sides 3-1 win at Barnsley and those four games have seen 3 wins and a draw with Targett scoring in that game at Bolton.

His three starts have lead to his being named in the Championship team of the week in each of those games and Fulham have emerged as genuine contenders not only for a play off spot but automatic promotion if they continue this form.

At 22 Targett now needs games to kick him on and that is why Saints sent him out on loan to Fulham, he seems to be taking his chance by the scruff of the neck and hopefully he will return to St Mary's and do the same.

There was never doubting his ability, but the inference was he was too nice, he lacked that killer instinct like James Ward Prowse he seems to be finding that now and that could be good for Saints.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/47575/

WhiteJC

Fulham player ratings after making it 10 unbeaten with victory over Aston Villa

A Ryan Sessegnon strike and a 45-yard goal from Floyd Ayite was enough to break Villa's winning run and make it 10 unbeaten for Fulham

MATCH REPORT

A Ryan Sessegnon strike and a 45-yard goal from Floyd Ayite was enough to break Villa's winning run and make it 10 unbeaten for Fulham.

Slavisa Jokanovic made three changes for today's game, opting to start Tom Cairney, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Floyd Ayite in place of Oliver Norwood, Lucas Piazon and Rui Fonte.

The first half was more of a chess game than it was a football match, with both sides threatening in spells but without any clear cut opportunities.

But it was that man Sessegnon who opened the scoring when the ball came in from the right, and he was there to sweep the ball into the net.

And then Ayite made it two when a botched goal kick from Sam Johnstone fell right to his feet and he stuck it into the back of the net from 45 yards.

RATINGS

Bettinelli 7

Not a great deal to do but looked to get Fulham attacking fast when he had the ball in his hands. A few iffy kicks but a generally solid performance.

Fredericks 7

Big game player - didn't have much of an influence in the first half as he was isolated but got involved in the second. Defensively assured performance.

Kalas 7

Did well at the back again as he and Ream continued their strong defensive partnership.

Ream 8

Another solid performance at the heart of defence from the American who looked calm and collected on the ball.

Targett 8

Did really well defensively in the first half and attacked well down the left. It was another good performance from the loanee.

Cairney 7

Slotted back into the midfield and was the man who started everything for Fulham. It's clear what a difference having the skipper back makes to the team.

McDonald 7

Was the anchor in the midfield and commanded that area well once again, battling well in a congested area.

Johansen 7

Battled well in the middle of the park and tried to turn defence into attack. Harried in the midfle to slow down Villa's breaks.

Ayite 6

Kept drifting into the middle to try and have an impact on the game, but left Fulham lacking out wide. Didn't pick the best final balls but scored an worldie of a goal from 45 yards out.

Mitrovic 7

Battled well in the first half and was a physical presence up top. Was unlucky not to score but his strength added a different dimension to the side.

Sessegnon 6

Really struggled against Tuanzebe but got himself in the right position to sweep the ball into the net and give Fulham the lead.

Halfway line: Floyd Ayite is mobbed after his 45-yard goal (Image: Ian Walton/PA Wire)

SUBS:

Kamara 6

Nearly scored with his first touch again after a nice one-two with Ayite saw him in. Has improved so much since his signing.

Piazon N/A

Not enough time to influence proceedings.

Odoi N/A

Like Piazon, only played for three minutes.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/fulham-aston-villa-player-ratings-14302953

WhiteJC

Revealed: How Fulham's odds of promotion have changed throughout the Championship season

Fulham were listed as one of the pre-season favourites for promotion, but their odds have fluctuated massively over the season

It's been one rollercoaster of a season for Fulham so far - they've gone from one of the pre-season favourites from promotion, to languishing in 17th place and now back to challenging for the automatic spots again.

It can only happen in football.

When the season started Fulham were 3/1 to get promoted to the Premier League, such was the season they enjoyed the previous time around.

But it was a slow start to the campaign, and four wins in the first two months of the season, saw the side's odds drift to 9/4 with Betfair at the end of September.

So started winless run that stretched right the way through October, with draws against Preston and Bolton and losses against Aston Villa and Bristol City seeing Fulham slip to 15th place and odds of 6/1 for promotion.

That form continued into November, where a loss against Wolves and a 1-1 draw with Derby at the Cottage saw the side drop to 17th in the table - the lowest position of the entire season, but wins against Sheffield United and Millwall ensured that winless streak ended.

However, Fulham were now priced at a huge 12/1 to get promoted to the Premier League.

December and January saw the Cottagers lose just twice in the league as the side turned their season round, with odds of 7/2 reflecting their sudden upturn in form.

Halfway line: Floyd Ayite is mobbed after his 45-yard goal (Image: Ian Walton/PA Wire)

And now, after stopping Villa's seven-game winning streak in it's tracks, with just two losses in 16 games in the league and six wins in their last seven, the side are 12/5 to get promoted to the top flight of English football.

Cardiff are 5/4 to be promoted at the moment, with Villa odds-on at 10/11, while Derby are priced at 6/4 and Bristol City at 5/1.

Betfair Spokesperson Katie Baylis said: "It has certainly been a rollercoaster ride of a season for Fulham fans and their hopes of heading back up to the Premier League and it's been the same when it comes to their promotion odds.

"Having started the season at 11/4 to go up, a horror few months saw their odds of promotion drift all the way out to 12/1 by the end of November. Fast forward a couple of months and having only lost two games since December, they're now a solid 12/5 to go up."

Here's how the season has unfolded so far in betting prices:

August: 3/1

September: 9/4

October: 6/1

November: 12/1

January: 7/2

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-how-fulhams-odds-promotion-14309333

WhiteJC

Fulham's Ryan Fredericks was superb against Villa

Fulham defeated Aston Villa 2-0 at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

Fulham right-back Ryan Fredericks showed exactly why Premier League clubs are looking at him with interest, as he put in another superb performance during his side's 2-0 win over promotion rivals Aston Villa.

A report in the Daily Mirror during the January transfer window cited West Ham United as keen admirers of the former Bristol City man, and on recent evidence the Hammers may have competition for his signature.

Fredericks is proving himself to be one of the best full-backs outside the Premier League, and his latest performance against promotion-chasing Villa further illustrated his ability to make the step up.

As shown in the table provided by Opta Stats, Fredericks put in an excellent defensive shift while also contributing greatly to Fulham's attacking threat as he proved a real menace on the overlap.

The 25-year-old contributed with two tackles, three interceptions, three ball recoveries, four effective clearances and seven duels, but it was his attacking threat that really stood out.

It is worth taking into account Villa's form heading in to the clash at Craven Cottage as the Villans had won seven straight Championship matches and on the road they had kept three straight clean sheets.

But Fulham were always going to pose a problem, and boss Slavisa Jokanovic implores his full-backs to attack at any given opportunity, allowing the Cottagers to really stretch their opponents and create space.

Fredericks' three chances created were only bettered by attacking winger Floyd Ayite, and the reported West Ham target set Fulham on their way by assisting Ryan Sessegnon for the opener just after half time.

Fulham will not want to lose the talented full-back this summer, regardless of what division they are in, but the January arrival of Republic of Ireland international right-back Cyrus Christie suggests they are at least prepared for his possible departure.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/19/tt-3-chances-created-7-duels-won-fulhams-ryan-fredericks-in-supe/

WhiteJC

Cardiff City's realistic chances of automatic promotion: The remaining fixtures, their rivals and what the form book says

Just 14 games remain for sides to secure their place in the Premier League

The race for automatic promotion is as tight as ever in the Championship as we meander towards the final run-in.

Just 14 games stand between Cardiff City and a return to the Premier League, but they have fierce challengers hot on their tails.

Aston Villa, Derby and Fulham look the likely challengers as some of the other early runners begin to peel off and Bristol City are the outsiders, currently occupying sixth spot.

The Bluebirds are the obvious favourites after moving into that second spot with a win over Middlesbrough on the weekend, but they'll have to pull out all the stops if they want to stay above their promotion rivals.

So as the battle for second spot heats up, what do Warnock and his men need to secure promotion? And how does their run-in compare to the teams in the other corners who are behind runaway leaders Wolves?

We took a closer look...

The odds

Just like in the league itself, there isn't much in it as far as the betting odds are concerned with Cardiff favourites to secure second place at 7/4.

The Bluebirds are closely followed by third placed Aston Villa (2/1) and as you might expect, Derby County are also considered to be real contenders, you would get 11/4 on the Rams securing their first taste of Premier League football since 2008.

Going down the table, Fulham, a real contender for many, are priced at 8/1, ahead of Bristol City who are more of a long-shot with 22/1. Anyone beyond the Robins is virtually ruled as a miracle with Sheffield United (33/1) as far down as Ipswich Town in 12 (2000/1) still being offered.

The form guide

The form table reveals something of a surprise with Fulham leading the way over the last six games – they've amassed a very impressive 16 points from a possible 18.

The Cottagers are closely followed by Aston Villa, who are a point behind following their resurgence from am expected bad start.

Cardiff find themselves third in the form table, despite climbing back on the promotion path in the last few weeks – a couple of draws, against Millwall and Sheffield Wednesday respectively have cost them as far as the form table is concerned.

Wolves look to have all-but secured their place in next season's Premier League, but they find themselves below Millwall in the form table, while Derby, one of the real contenders for second place are in ninth following a slight dip in form.

Bristol City may well be out of the running and their recent run of form is the reason for that – it's reflected in the form table with Lee Johnson's men in 16, below relegation-threatened Birmingham City.

The run-in

Cardiff City

Ipswich Town (A), Bristol City (H), Brentford (A), Barnsley (H), Birmingham City (H), Derby County (A), Burton Albion (H), Sheffield United (A), Wolves (H), Aston Villa (A), Norwich City (A), Nottingham Forest (H), Hull City (A), Reading (H).

Aston Villa

Preston (H), Sheffield Wednesday (A), QPR (H), Sunderland (A), Wolves (H), Bolton (A), Hull City (A), Reading (H), Norwich City (A), Cardiff City (H), Leeds United (H), Ipswich Town (A), Derby County (H), Millwall (A).

Derby County

Leeds United (H), Reading (A), Fulham (H), QPR (A), Nottingham Forest (A), Cardiff City (H), Sunderland (H), Preston (A), Bolton (H), Wolves (A), Burton Albion (A), Middlesbrough (H), Aston Villa (A), Barnsley (H).

Fulham

Bristol City (A), Wolves (H), Derby County (A), Sheffield United (H), Preston (A), QPR (H), Norwich City (A), Leeds United (H), Sheffield Wednesday (A), Reading (H), Brentford (H), Millwall (A), Sunderland (H), Birmingham City (A).

Bristol City

Fulham (H), Cardiff City (A), Sheffield Wednesday (H), Preston (A), Burton Albion (A), Ipswich Town (H), Barnsley (A), Brentford (H), Millwall (A), Birmingham City (H), Middlesbrough (A), Hull City (H), Nottingham Forest (A), Sheffield United (H).

Run-in verdict

There are still 14 games remaining so naturally, most of the teams competing for a top two spot play each other between now and the end of the season. Those games will undoubtedly play a part in shaping the final Championship, but they won't rule the final verdict.

Aston Villa have the best run-in on paper, with just four of the top eight to play and that compares to Cardiff's five.

Derby County host Aston Villa in the last-but-one game of the season and that will surely be win-or-bust game for both teams given how tight things are at the moment.

April may be the defining month for Cardiff with trips to both Aston Villa and Derby County, but you would like to think all of their last four games are winnable, which could be key.

Fulham have a lot to do over the next five games when they play five of the top eight and they are already six points off. Bristol City don't have it easy either and it appears they have too much to do with that fixture list and an eight point deficit going into the last 14.

So, Villa are the favourites in terms of the run-in, but Cardiff's fixtures aren't much worse, especially give that they have a two-point head start. Don't rule Derby out either, despite their tough run-in, they have experience of competing at the top of the Championship and they will have learned a lot over the course of the last few seasons.

The magic total

The average points total needed to reach the Premier League via second place is a loft 87 points. Though, the last three teams to finish in second have surpassed that total, in fact, Brighton smashed it with 93 points last season.

The average for teams finishing in second is just over 86 points but often, they have finished a few points clear of third. That can't be said for Middlesbrough two seasons ago, however, with Brighton missing out on an impressive 89 points.

Cardiff, currently leading the race for second place, would need 26 points from their last 14 games to surpass the 'magic total', while others would of course need more.

However, that may well not be the case, especially given the strength of the Championship again this season and we could be looking at 90 points to be absolutely sure of a spot in the 2018/19 edition of the Premier League.

Cardiff have put themselves in a good position as far as reaching the target is concerned, especially when you consider that Derby need a minimum of 29 points from a possible 42 and Fulham 32.

WalesOnline prediction

Fulham and Bristol City have a lot to do and although the former are a very good team, it's unlikely they will be celebrating promotion without having to play an extra three games.

Derby have plenty of power and depth in their squad, but are they better than Villa? Over the course of 14 games their rivals from the West Midlands may well get the better of them.

Cardiff are in a great position heading into the run-in but they will have to prove they have more in the tank than the big boys of the league, something they have enjoyed doing successfully so far this season.

It takes a lot to overcome teams like Villa and Derby to finish second, and they'll need some luck along the way, but from what Cardiff have shown this season – if all goes smoothly – they'll just have enough.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-citys-realistic-chances-automatic-14309494

WhiteJC

£7.2m or £30m? How much is this Fulham star worth?

Ryan Sessegnon scored yet another goal for Fulham on Saturday afternoon as they ended Aston Villa's winning run with a 2-0 victory at Craven Cottage.

That means it is 12 league goals now for the teenage starlet as Slavisa Jokanovic's Cottagers continued their march towards the play-offs and extended their unbeaten league run to ten matches.

Sessegnon came into the Fulham setup as a left back but has since moved to the left wing where his goalscoring exploits have seen some observers compare him to Gareth Bale.

Given the youngster's huge potential, it is no surprise that Europe's big hitters have been circling the Englishman for a while now and we've taken a look at how much they could expect to receive if Sessegnon was to depart – by comparison to his value on www.transfermarkt.co.uk.

We found that he had been undervalued majorly – in our view he is worth over four times his online valuation and the bidding should start at £30m for any club wanting to prize him away Craven Cottage.

His shift in position may have affected some transfer plans across Europe and I actually think that might aid Fulham in their attempts to keep hold of him – especially if they are promoted back to the Premier League at the end of this season.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/7-2m-or-30m-how-much-is-this-fulham-star-worth/