more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (20/02/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 20, 2018, 06:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Matt Targett talks about Southampton and his move to Fulham on loan

MATT Targett admits it's great to "feel important" again at Fulham after experiencing a frustrating spell at Saints.

The 22-year-old left-back is on loan from St Mary's at the Championship promotion chasers for the rest of the season and has flourished during his four games for the Cottagers so far, after joining last month.

Fulham are unbeaten with Targett, who hadn't played regular football at Saints because of injuries and Ryan Bertrand's status as first-choice left-back, in the side, having most recently beaten Aston Villa 2-0.

"At Southampton I have just been a training player so it is nice to come here, play games and feel important," he said.

"I am 22 now so I am only getting older and I need to start playing games and gaining experience.

"The main aim is to get Fulham back in the Premier League and on a personal note try and play as many games as possible.

"The boys have been very welcoming. It was nice to get my first senior goal last weekend," he added talking about his goal in a 1-1 draw at Bolton recently.

"It was a shame we could not get the win but on a personal note it was nice to score.

The team have been in great form so it is quite easy to come into the team with everyone playing with so much confidence.

"The club has helped me settle in very well. It is a great club to be at. The staff are all friendly. The club has made me feel important which is nice."

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/16033383.Targett_happy_to__feel_important__again/?ref=rss

WhiteJC

PG: Changed System

Fulham's Under-23s fell to their third consecutive defeat on Saturday as they lost 4-1 to Stoke City at the bet 365 stadium.

"It wasn't necessarily a deserved score-line," commented Head Coach Peter Grant. "However, if you don't defend properly that's what you're going to get.

"We attacked them two or three times and then conceded goals."

"That's the disappointing thing, they've made a couple of clearances and we've then not dealt with them. We gave the ball away in the final third in very good areas and ended up conceding three goals because of that.

"We should have been out of sight in the first half with the chances we had in the box but that's where you earn your corn, in both boxes and we didn't do that well enough today.

"Luca [de la Torre] should have scored just before they did to put us 2-1 up, Jon Dagur [Thorsteinsson] should have scored in the first half, Nico [Santos-Clase] also in the first half.

"The boys have to take their chances, especially when they are on top. We changed the system, players were playing in different areas of the pitch to balance the team and I thought at times we played it well and other times we turned the ball over too often.

"We've got a problem at the moment because we're not defending well enough and we are not taking our chances, there are too many simple errors.

"It's a disappointing result, it's a game we should have won we're walking away scratching our heads at 4-1."

The Whites played with three at the back and deployed Marlon Fossey and Steven Sessegnon as wing-backs. Asked whether it is a case of the team getting used to the style, he replied:

"It wasn't even that we had a new system, we had plenty of the ball. We got into areas of the pitch that we wanted to and the opportunities were there, I feel we lost the ball too simply.

"I always say in football, 'if you don't have a good first touch and a final pass you're always going to struggle', and that was definitely what we didn't have today because we were in good enough areas of the pitch to kill the game completely.

"The game ran away from us late in the game, Stoke's boys scored with some wonder finishes.

"Yet again it was a simple throw in for them to get into the box, easy turning and he blasted it in the top corner. Fantastic goal for the kid, just shocking defending for us.

"Every game you play is crucial for experience, I always want to win every game we play, I've never had to factor that. You've got to know how to win and they've got to earn it.

"I'm sure Stoke will be happy because they have done the work, worked their socks off to try cut the spaces to play in. They were very organised, but we should get through that time and time again.

"We're talking about the play-offs but we always want to win the league. Now all of a sudden we are looking at the next game and that is the most important thing for us."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/february/19/grant-changed-system

WhiteJC

Matt Targett loving life at Fulham

Southampton youngster Matt Targett is in fantastic form for Fulham at the moment and has admitted that he is happy to feel "important" again.

As quoted by the Daily Echo, the promising left-back discussed how he is finding life in London with Championship side Fulham. Targett has been a mainstay under Slavisa Jokanovic since his arrival at Craven Cottage and is already a big hit with the club's fans.

At Southampton I have just been a training player so it is nice to come here, play games and feel important. I am 22 now so I am only getting older and I need to start playing games and gaining experience.

Targett secured a loan move until the end of the season in January, with Saints deeming him temporarily surplus to requirements. Mauricio Pellegrino already has Ryan Bertrand and Sam McQueen at his disposal, and it seems a third left-back was regarded as unnecessary this season.

The main aim is to get Fulham back in the Premier League and on a personal note try and play as many games as possible. The boys have been very welcoming. It was nice to get my first senior goal last weekend. It was a shame we could not get the win but on a personal note it was nice to score.

Fulham have not yet lost a match since Targett has stepped into the side and he has been earning glowing reviews for his efforts at the club.

The team have been in great form so it is quite easy to come into the team with everyone playing with so much confidence.

The club has helped me settle in very well. It is a great club to be at. The staff are all friendly. The club has made me feel important which is nice.

The 22-year-old will hope to return from his loan at Fulham a better player as he looks to fight for his place in Southampton's first-team squad next season.

http://readsouthampton.com/2018/02/19/matt-targett-loving-life-fulham/

WhiteJC

In Focus: Fulham look to the future as keeper Magnus Norman extends contract

Fulham have confirmed that 21-year-old keeper Magnus Norman has committed his future to the club until the summer of 2019.

What's the story?

Norman is Fulham's longest serving goalkeeper, just ahead of starting shot-stopper Marcus Bettinelli and has played for the Whites at every age group.

He said: "I'm really happy, I've been here since I was nine so it's great to extend my contract by another year, and hopefully I can push on and potentially make my debut.

"I love it here. I know everyone throughout the Club, and being with the First Team this year has been good experience.

https://www.footballfancast.com/championship/fulham/in-focus-fulham-look-to-the-future-as-keeper-magnus-norman-extends-contract

WhiteJC

Fulham star gives his verdict on Bristol City and how the Cottagers plan to beat them

The Robins host Fulham on Wednesday night at Ashton Gate

Fulham captain Tom Cairney knows what to expect when his side take on Bristol City at Ashton Gate on Wednesday evening.

The Cottagers are in fifth place, two points ahead of the Robins who are sixth following Sunday's 2-2 draw at Leeds United.

And Cairney believes his side will have to be at their best to come away with three points against Lee Johnson's team.

He told GetWestLondon: "They've (Bristol City) been brilliant this season and I think it's a tough game.

"They have some good players but I think if we can dominate the ball and play like we know we can we can come away with three points,"

Although Cairney is confident in his side's ability to get a result against City, it is important to note that City have already beaten Fulham this season, with a 2-0 victory back in October.

The midfielder still feels that his side can finish in the automatic promotion places with their next set of games against City, Wolves, Derby and Sheffield United set to define their campaign.

Tom Cairney

He added: "I don't see why not (getting second), I think it's six points we're behind now with quite a few games left to go so if we play like this then I don't see why not.

"It's quite difficult, we know the next couple of weeks will define our season, we play teams in and around us or above us so it's huge but I feel like we have the squad to deal with it and pick up some points."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-star-gives-verdict-bristol-1236168

WhiteJC

Fulham loan report
by FPTaylor on February 19, 2018

As we begin to cover and report upon our youngsters out on loan, a feature that'll be present on a gamely basis now on HammyEnd.com.

Cauley Woodrow: Cauley continues his role as very much a rotational/bit-part forward within the Bristol City set up, coming on for the final ten minutes as the Robins threw away a two goal lead at Leeds United.

Woodrow has started five games in total this season, three of which coming in the league with the remainder of his sixteen appearances as an introduction from the substitutes bench. He's scored twice so far this season, possibly not the best loan for him with his Fulham future now looking bleak after a decent spell at Burton Albion last season.

Mattias Kait: Fulham's Estonian is seldom spoken about amongst the terraces but a good talent will learn from a tough spell out at Ross County playing Scottish Premiership football under the watchful eye of Owen Coyle.

Mattias played the full ninety on his debut on February 3rd as Ross County won their first match in thirteen with a 4-1 at Dundee. This past weekend, our Estonian international put in another sixty minutes of action with the 'Staggies' picking up a 1-1 draw at home to Hearts as they put together a two match unbeaten run.

George Williams: In many ways, the forgotten man at the football club. Rated highly as he came through alongside Moussa Dembele, Patrick Roberts and Emerson Hyndman but a serious knee injury during a much needed loan move at MK Dons has stumped his development. After having another spell at Dons, before that, a loan at Gillingham, Williams is now in a position where getting a run of games should take precedent. Joining St Johnstone in January, Scottish football has been good to all three of his former team mates mentioned above and you hope that this will have the same effect for the Welsh forward.

A knock prior to joining delayed his debut but it eventually came this past Sunday as he played 65 minutes in a 0-0 at Celtic (where Moussa Dembele did come off of the bench). He was utilised as the second striker in a 352 system which'll be interesting to continue see develop; having come through initially as a inverted winger, cutting in from the left hand side.

Marek Rodak: If you ask me, a Fulham number one in the waiting. The Slovakian took a much needed step into League One and has begun to blossom as Rotherham's starting goalkeeper. Paul Warne's side have gotten better as the season has progressed with Marek Rodak starting 23 matches, lower as he leaves to play for Slovakia's under 21s during international breaks. In Marek's 23, he's lost just the five and kept six clean sheets: the most recent of which being at Shrewsbury in a 1-0 win pulling them five points away from the League One leaders.

Kept busy in most matches, Rodak rises to the occasion with some impeccable displays in between the sticks. Was rewarded with a new contract this month keeping him contracted to the club until 2020 which would take him to seven years at the football club.

Stevie Humphrys: A mercurial talent, Humphrys got sent to League One to assist them in an upwards battle against relegation. Yet to score, Humphrys came off of the bench to play the final four minutes for his debut in an away win at Northampton. He started the following game in a 3-2 loss at Bristol Rovers. His home debut came in the biggest match of his career and one of the biggest of Rochdale's recent history; a glamorous tie against Tottenham Hotspur. A news worthy match saw Rochdale steal a replay despite going a goal down in the 88th minute and despite his lack of goals thus far, Humphrys must be impressing on the training pitch to be awarded a start against the experienced (and excellent) Toby Alderweireld and the highly rated Argentine Juan Foyth; he was removed after a hard working 75 minutes. Always had a goal scoring touch and high level technical ability with question marks more hovering over the professional and preparation aspect of being a footballer. This spell at Rochdale may bring him down to earth and do him the world of good.

Elijah Adebayo: The last of our loanees is plying his trade in League Two with Cheltenham Town, coached by Gary Johnson, a Fulham supporter who took Dan Burn and Stephen Arthurworrey whilst he was in charge at Yeovil Town.

Elijah had been excellent at under 23 level prior to his deserved loan move and it is his first venture into the Football League after some non-league spells last season. Yet to nail down a starting berth, Adebayo has been in and out for Johnson's side so far with Mohamed Eisa one of the first names on the team sheet in the other striking berth. So far this season, he's scored twice and has an assist to his name despite only playing 267 minutes and 67% of his shots have been on target.

He's worked hard to improve his game as a striker after a season with him being trialled as a centre back at under 18 level. The 20 year old signed a new deal prior to his move keeping him tied down until 2019. A big few months for him and his career with this loan spell.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/02/fulham-loan-report/

Neil D

Loan report - valuable and interesting update.  Pleased to see Williams is only out on loan.