watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who gets rotated?

Started by General, February 20, 2018, 09:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Fresh off our game vs villa we have bristol City followed by wolves in the space of a week. Two highly competitive games which require rotation of our squad.. we don't have 11 players capable of being replaced but a strong bench.

How many changes do you think we'll make and in which positions? I'd assume we'd prioritise wolves in slightly better form than bristol City, but what does that mean to our team for tomorrow?

Who'd be better up front against bristol and do those forwards and their attributes suit bristol more than wolves?

filham

The problem is the engine room of McDonald, Cairney and Johansen, it would be useful to rest all three tomorrow night but with only Norwood up to standard as a sub we cannot really afford to o rest any of them.

davew

Let's get over the next 4 games and then talk about rotation, these are key games which might determine where we finish in the league!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

ffcne

Quote from: filham on February 20, 2018, 09:58:34 PM
The problem is the engine room of McDonald, Cairney and Johansen, it would be useful to rest all three tomorrow night but with only Norwood up to standard as a sub we cannot really afford to o rest any of them.
Why rest anyone tomorrow?
Forget Wolves concentrate on Bristol City
and play the same team.
We have had an extra day's rest than them
and they had to travel home from Leeds on Sunday evening.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: ffcne on February 20, 2018, 10:12:17 PM
Quote from: filham on February 20, 2018, 09:58:34 PM
Why rest anyone tomorrow?
Forget Wolves concentrate on Bristol City
and play the same team.
We have had an extra day's rest than them
and they had to travel home from Leeds on Sunday evening.

Exactly, unless of course players are carrying a knock the priority is to beat Bristol City, nothing else should concern us. Start thinking about the games after will only cause us to fall between two stalls.
Win the next game which is Bristol City with the strongest team. They can rest and grab a kip and put their feet up in May when it's all over.
If you snooze you lose.
Some of them do not even play a full game, being subbed at half time or after an hour, so how can they be tired. Unless they are not fit enough of course, and then why aren't they fit
How do they think teams got on when there were no subs allowed, and in those days the pitches were heavier and muddier and the tackle from behind had not been outlawed. It was a contact Sport in those days. These days a player only has to sneeze and an opponent falls over holding his face.
I brushed past the TV the other night and a player dived, I mean fell over.
But in the good old days before we started breeding a generation of wimps, when men were men and women loved them for it. Because you only had the bare 11 if you broke your leg you had to stay on the pitch, as there was no replacement.
For the benefit of any sensitive snowflakes reading this.  Although when I say bare, don't get me wrong, they weren't exactly naked, they were wearing shirts shorts and socks, and a jockstrap, and their heart on their sleeve, it's just a turn of phrase.
A lot of it is in the mind, some people would advocate not letting players out without a nanny if they could.
Tigana in his final season when he was sacked and replaced by Coleman to save Fulham from relegation, sowed seeds of doubt in players minds with his obsession with being fatigued, and that contributed to the team having a soft underbelly and mentally weak.
I don't think Jok is like that by any means, and one or two players conditions may need to be looked at after the Bristol City Match, but let's win this match first, then have a review if necessary.
In any sport you have to be mentally strong, and that mentality is important, but if you tell some players often enough about being rested, they will start believing it themselves.
But fortunately Joks a different animal to Tigana, and I think he may only tweek one or two positions if necessary. Some of our players really put a hard shift in last Saturday, nevertheless, their Adrenalin should carry them through most of the time. Any player worth his salt would want to play.
Nevertheless, the manager is there to manage, but it would be fool hardy to tinker too much, as many a manager has lost his job due to tinkering for the sake of it.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

EastEndWhite

"I cannot survive three games in one week with 11 players. Now we have more options, I have important players in different lines of the team."

Slavisa's words.. so don't be surprised if there are some changes.

Carborundum

Won't be surprised to see Norwood for Cairney and Piazon for Ayite.

Woolly Mammoth

We should keep the same Tea Lady for Saturday.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MrD1879

Piazon for Ayite is the only change I would make depending on how Cairney came through after Saturday. If it isn't broken then don't try and fix is. Keep the buzz going from Saturday.

Piazon does a very good job of dragging a man inside and giving Frederick a 1 on 1 with his opposing full back. I rate their left back but he's no usain bolt

Twig

Stef Jo has also been nursing a niggle all season. Wouldn't surprise me if Norwood came in to give him a rest, otherwise unchanged (always assuming TC is OK).

filham

Yes , I do agree that tonight's game is all important and while I agree with all the above t it looked to me as if McDonald and Cairney took a lot of stick of Saturday and finished on their knees. If they are not 100% ready for tonight then it may not be wise to play them.

Jocanovic may have some difficult decisions ahead of the match.

hovewhite

Can see noorwood coming in for TC or Stefan.

grandad

A few years ago there was a Cambridge Uni study. They found that a player should be capable of playing every 48 hours provided they re-hydrated &consumed more carbohydrates than usual. This is assuming they do not carry an injury. I used to play every Saturday & Sunday mornings with no fatigue problems. We also had to carry our own goalposts & break the ice in the goalmouths in winter. If you have ever played at the Richardson Evans you will know how far away from the changing rooms some pitches are.
Where there's a will there's a wife

sunburywhite

Quote from: filham on February 21, 2018, 12:36:40 PM
Yes , I do agree that tonight's game is all important and while I agree with all the above t it looked to me as if McDonald and Cairney took a lot of stick of Saturday and finished on their knees. If they are not 100% ready for tonight then it may not be wise to play them.

Johansen was totally drained when he came off, I saw his face, he was bollaxed
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

grandad

If we are 3 up at half time we can sub McDonald, Cairney & Johansen with Odoi, Norwood & Piazon.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ffcne

Quote from: Carborundum on February 21, 2018, 06:46:40 AM
Won't be surprised to see Norwood for Cairney and Piazon for Ayite.

No chance on a loser if that happens .
Cairney will want to play

ffcne

Quote from: filham on February 21, 2018, 12:36:40 PM

That was on Saturday AT 5PM. ???
3 days ago .They will want to play .
If they have got knocks that is different

ffcne

Quote from: MrD1879 on February 21, 2018, 10:26:38 AM
Piazon for Ayite is the only change I would make depending on how Cairney came through after Saturday. If it isn't broken then don't try and fix is. Keep the buzz going from Saturday.

Piazon does a very good job of dragging a man inside and giving Frederick a 1 on 1 with his opposing full back. I rate their left back but he's no usain bolt
Fredericks had his best game of the season
against Villa .Without Piazon.Strange
Same team if all fit .Ayite more pace than Piazon

Tabby

Kalas, Ayite and Fred get rotated.