watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Vaping

Started by Stoneleigh Loyalist, February 22, 2018, 04:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I sit in the JH Stand which us clearly a non smoking area.
Last Saturday I became conscious of a cloud of smoke wafting in my direction. Above the noise I called out to ask who was smoking and someone a few seats away in the row in front of me owned up.
He then said that he was Vaping and not smoking and said he thought that was allowed.
Perhaps I Should have told a steward, but I emailed the Club today and they confirmed that Vaping was included in the ban.
It did say that H&S and the stewards would be looking out,more closely.

west kowloon white

Understand it is banned as it looks like smoking- the vapour being harmless to others.

toshes mate

Yes it is banned although for the life of me I cannot think why it is considered a Health & Safety concern.  It is no more dangerous than sniffing a hot cup of tea since it is steam (hot moisture) and you wouldn't even necessarily see it in warmer weather.  But rules are rules, at least off the pitch, I guess.   

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: west kowloon white on February 22, 2018, 05:37:32 PM
Understand it is banned as it looks like smoking- the vapour being harmless to others.

Certainly less harmful for you health but don't be fooled into thinking e-cigs are without risks!
The jury's still out.

Holders

Best to be consistent - and it still stinks even if it isn't as poisonous.

Where's the bloke with the pipe from the front of the Hammersmith end these days?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Dodger53

Theres one in the Hammy near us sometimes - What a stink! Looks like a steam train so csnnot understand how stewards don't see it.

west kowloon white

The BBC campaign has resulted in a few prejudices- must have lost my sense of smell too.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: toshes mate on February 22, 2018, 05:54:29 PM
Yes it is banned although for the life of me I cannot think why it is considered a Health & Safety concern.  It is no more dangerous than sniffing a hot cup of tea since it is steam (hot moisture) and you wouldn't even necessarily see it in warmer weather.  But rules are rules, at least off the pitch, I guess.   

When you use an e-cigarette, or vape, those vapors you exhale don't just magically disappear. Secondhand vapors are very much a thing, and they're not healthy for anyone around you to breathe, especially young children.

While vaping is considered to be somewhat healthier than smoking regular cigarettes—because you're not coating your lungs in carcinogenic tar—it's still not a "healthy" practice by any means. The aerosol you breathe in when you use an e-cigarette contains harmful chemicals and ultrafine particles you can inhale deep into your lungs. Diacetyle, benzene, nickel, tin, and lead are just some of the things found in e-cigarette vapors. And scientists are still trying to determine the health effects of other potentially harmful chemicals in e-cigarette fluid, as well as how they react when turned into aerosol via intense heat. Plus, e-cigarettes contain nicotine, which is still highly addictive no matter how you intake it.

Now, if you want to use an e-cigarette, that's completely up to you. It's your health and you can use or abuse it however you like. What's problematic is e-cigarette and vape users don't seem to realize those vapors are still breathable after they're exhaled. Much like secondhand smoke, secondhand vapors are a concern for everyone around a user, even if the vapor is less visible than traditional cigarette smoke.

mojo

I think the fat in the pies and the salt in the Bovril are also detrimental to health, dangerous this football supporting lark

Twig

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on February 22, 2018, 08:56:38 PM

When you use an e-cigarette, or vape, those vapors you exhale don't just magically disappear. Secondhand vapors are very much a thing, and they're not healthy for anyone around you to breathe, especially young children.

While vaping is considered to be somewhat healthier than smoking regular cigarettes—because you're not coating your lungs in carcinogenic tar—it's still not a "healthy" practice by any means. The aerosol you breathe in when you use an e-cigarette contains harmful chemicals and ultrafine particles you can inhale deep into your lungs. Diacetyle, benzene, nickel, tin, and lead are just some of the things found in e-cigarette vapors. And scientists are still trying to determine the health effects of other potentially harmful chemicals in e-cigarette fluid, as well as how they react when turned into aerosol via intense heat. Plus, e-cigarettes contain nicotine, which is still highly addictive no matter how you intake it.

Now, if you want to use an e-cigarette, that's completely up to you. It's your health and you can use or abuse it however you like. What's problematic is e-cigarette and vape users don't seem to realize those vapors are still breathable after they're exhaled. Much like secondhand smoke, secondhand vapors are a concern for everyone around a user, even if the vapor is less visible than traditional cigarette smoke.

Now that is an impressively comprehensive summary.

filham

I think we are missing the point.
Smoking of any kind in that old timber stand must present a fire risk, please, for all our sakes report anyone seen lighting up.

fulhamben

Quote from: filham on February 22, 2018, 10:19:07 PM
I think we are missing the point.
Smoking of any kind in that old timber stand must present a fire risk, please, for all our sakes report anyone seen lighting up.
do you know what vaping is?
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Andy S

So what about the car we all drive around all day. If we worried about everything we breathed in we would never go anywhere. I think the way we treat smokers and vipers is terrible. I think we should open the back of the stadium at half time and let them out then they wouldn't block the toilets so nobody could use them

Dr Know

Quote from: Andy S on February 22, 2018, 11:05:41 PM
So what about the car we all drive around all day. If we worried about everything we breathed in we would never go anywhere. I think the way we treat smokers and vipers is terrible. I think we should open the back of the stadium at half time and let them out then they wouldn't block the toilets so nobody could use them
So why don't smokers clamp their lips around car exhaust pipes ? It would save them a lot of money and save non smokers from breathing the foul air in ,  Smoking is a disgusting habit ,  ban it !

MJG

It's partly about respecting the people you are sat near. It's not like being in a pub, or on a street or anywhere else where you can freely move around.
Just the views of a long term fan

grandad

I have been vaping for 4 years now after a lifetime of tobacco. I can certainly say my health has never been so good. No cough, breathing excellent, no smelly breath or clothes. No dirty ash trays. Rarely get a cold. So much cheaper. The fluid only costs me €3 a week.
However I do refrain from vaping in environments where there are people who might be irritated by the vapour.
I would ask that in the same environments people next to me stop breathing as I do not want to breathe second hand air. This can be easily noticed on very cold days but not on warm ones, but it is still there.
Where there's a will there's a wife

cookieg

Maybe if the club let vaping happen some people may think they can get away with a cheeky fag which would be hidden amongst the vaping smoke. Watching Fulham should come with a health warning all by itself!

toshes mate

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on February 22, 2018, 08:56:38 PM
Smoke is heavier than water vapour, the latter naturally rising in air on all but the driest days.  The air in London is already filled with pollutants from motor vehicles, industrial waste and incinerators etc., and those pollutants are heavy and tend to stick around you regardless of how high they are released.   Vape exhaust isn't heavy and isn't in the same dangerous league as these toxins and to suggest otherwise is nonsense.  Secondary (cigarette smoke) smoking has failed to be proven in all the largest surveys the WHO has carried out simply because there are so many other factors which also need to be considered like the toxins in traffic fumes which are also real killers.  However, if you asked me if it is good for a child to see someone vaping then I'd say 'probably not', and then we get into a completely different debate about personal rights and responsibilities. 

Holders

Quote from: Andy S on February 22, 2018, 11:05:41 PM

Vipers - brilliant!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RaySmith

I think vaping will prove to be more harmful than is currently thought. There's a huge profit to made from this new habit, seen as a healthy  option compared to smoking, and  thus  huge vested interests in saying it's harmless.

I'm am an ex-smoker. It doesn't bother me to sit near a vaper, or even a smoker, but I can see  vaping as becoming more highly regulated in the furture, and it not being seen as  so harmless - to consumers and those around them.