watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Watch! | Masterclass: Slavisa Jokanovic, Tactics: Newcastle v Fulham

Started by matias93, February 23, 2018, 09:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matias93

Hey guys, just found this great video with Jokanovic, check it out!!!

"Newcastle returned to the Premier League as Championship title-winners last season, but they were defeated twice by a Fulham side coached by Slavisa Jokanovic. Here, the victorious manager tells The Coaches' Voice about the tactics behind his team's 3-1 win at St James' Park in March – and how he devised a plan to get the better of an opposition bearing all the defensive hallmarks of Rafa Benitez."

https://www.coachesvoice.com/slavisa-jokanovic/

Milo

Very interesting! If not the tactics themselves (which were difficult to grasp through the broken English) but more just confirmation at how difficult it is for SJ to get across quite simple principles with his language skills.

I wonder if he then compensated by keeping tactics simple and hence it's a simple message that players can follow quite easily?

Main points I got from decoding the interview was:

1. We aim to get the ball to the full backs from central defence. Teams counter this by sticking tight to our wingers and coming across to narrow passing opportunities. We then focus our training at Motspur Park (presumably?) on making triangles to escape and quickly spraying the ball to the other side to attack down the other channel.

Interesting to note our best passer at CB is Ream on the left.. hence a good instigator. It then depends on Taggart, and McDonald/StefJo/Cairney making that triangle.. and Fredericks utilising any space created when the ball gets sprayed out to him.

2. A key tactical mismatch in the Newcastle game was Aluko playing between midfield and their defence. He then allowed greater opportunities to make triangles and hence keep possession in the middle. Critically their CBs did not have clear instructions from the Newcastle coaches on how to handle this and it caused them problems.

Most important question is... how can we convert all this to three points on Saturday!

Carborundum

Brilliant video.  The overall impression is of two managers playing rock-paper-scissors with Benitez being just a bit too predictable with the rock.

Another thought went through my head along the way:  wonder if we have any Toffifee in the house?

matias93

Couldn't agree more.

Especially considering his success in England, makes you question whats more important.... intricate tactics or the ability to lead/create team cohesion? My guess is a bit of both, however, i believe the latter holds more importance than people think about - in the modern era of footballing philosophies and tactical analysis

Holders

Interesting, especially how much importance he placed on Aluko's role. 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

snarks

Quote from: Carborundum on February 23, 2018, 01:26:03 PM
Brilliant video.  The overall impression is of two managers playing rock-paper-scissors with Benitez being just a bit too predictable with the rock.

Another thought went through my head along the way:  wonder if we have any Toffifee in the house?

Toffifee!!! You can't support Fulham and like Toffifee, it's the law!

filham

I bet Tosh would have fallen asleep about 10 seconds into that talk and then during the match taken a couple of those pin point accurate long balls from Haynes, made progress to the edge of the area and delivered his power shot to the back of the net. Football used to be both beautiful and simple.

Carborundum

So I tried one of the other videos.  Gary Rowett explaining how Birmingham beat Wednesday.  It's a lot different.  I really like Rowett, very talented guy.  But his explanation is much more old school. Simple game, simple ideas. Just tell me where to stand and what to do. 

Reflecting on Jokanovic, I wonder if part of his success is that he treats the players as highly intelligent people who can join dots up for themselves.  I wonder if some of the players he doesn't like  can't / won't take to that style of coaching. They want a Rowett.  But our players, by Darwinian selection (we have been through a fair few) relish a Jokanovic.

Matias' post referring to the need for both intricate tactics and the ability to lead a team is right.  But I'll throw in another key characteristic.  One Sven Goran Erickson memorably revealed when filmed dining with the fake sheikh: buy the best players and you win the league.  And sure enough, every six months Jokanovic says as much to his chairman.   In public.

Jokanovic is one heck of an operator.  We are lucky to have him.

NogoodBoyo

I can't quite believe this only has 8.5 comments.
You won't get a better insight into our manager and his coaching style.  What a manager he is.
Nogood "well organisee and combinated, isit" Boyo

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Matt10

Quote from: Milo on February 23, 2018, 12:56:01 PM
Very interesting! If not the tactics themselves (which were difficult to grasp through the broken English) but more just confirmation at how difficult it is for SJ to get across quite simple principles with his language skills.

I wonder if he then compensated by keeping tactics simple and hence it's a simple message that players can follow quite easily?

Main points I got from decoding the interview was:

1. We aim to get the ball to the full backs from central defence. Teams counter this by sticking tight to our wingers and coming across to narrow passing opportunities. We then focus our training at Motspur Park (presumably?) on making triangles to escape and quickly spraying the ball to the other side to attack down the other channel.

Interesting to note our best passer at CB is Ream on the left.. hence a good instigator. It then depends on Taggart, and McDonald/StefJo/Cairney making that triangle.. and Fredericks utilising any space created when the ball gets sprayed out to him.

2. A key tactical mismatch in the Newcastle game was Aluko playing between midfield and their defence. He then allowed greater opportunities to make triangles and hence keep possession in the middle. Critically their CBs did not have clear instructions from the Newcastle coaches on how to handle this and it caused them problems.

Most important question is... how can we convert all this to three points on Saturday!

Spot on. It goes to show how picky we have to be when considering the CB core. Kalas and Ream can both distribute the ball, but Ream is the most skilled on the ball. His composure is exactly similar to a defensive midfielder. This is why I keep saying we cannot approach Fulham football like common, tradition, EFL football. In addition, we can't have these lunks at CB as that hurts our offense more than it helps.

This video has definitely understood where Joka is thinking and why he drops the DMF (McDonald) so much deeper, then lets Cairney and Stefjo to rotate as much as possible. They are constantly creating little triangles throughout the entire pitch. I imagine they execute the drill of Arsenal's old handball game once in a while to really grasp the concepts.

toshes mate

I watched the video and didn't comment because my deft movement into space and absence from covering defenders had been noted and my escape discovered, a slip up in my social strategy for which I do humbly apologise.  I have now watched the video again and realised my fault.  Thus far my battle for space this a.m, has been more successful and the opposition has been caught napping on the wrong side of the field.  I do hope similar tactics will work for all us who have the FFC habit later on today.   Fortunately my personal opposition has already agreed she'll be at Craven Cottage at 5.30pm today.....